Become a Patron!

Mech box vs Regulated

Hey I've been running Mutation X V2 (dual .3-.5 ohm) and Veritas (single .3-1.2ohm) on my mech nemi and AR. I've been wanting to go into box mods for a while and just trying to narrow down my choices. I heared its better for mech to sub on mech box and 1+ohm on regulated is that true? This is what I'm deciding between

Mech:
Steady Moddin

Regulated:
God 180w
DNA 30 product

If any other suggestions feel free to mention but I'd like it to be as close to $100 or lower if possible, nothing $200+ please.

Rawmade

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The 1.0ohm+ build recommendation for regulated mods was in the time of DNA30s, when you could use higher builds and still get the full 30w off the board.
In the more modern higher wattage devices, most cant reach the higher wattage without going subohm. Now regulated mods are able to fire 20ga, 22ga, 24ga etc with zero ramp up time and all around fix all of mech mods pitfalls.
Dont get the God 180. Its GIANT, ugly and cheap feeling.

Here are good options.
If you want the higher wattage and dual 18650s
Sigelei 100w Plus -$89
Sigelei 150w - $100
IPV3 (165w after upgrade) - $100ish

If you want less wattage in a smaller single 18650 form factor
50w SX Zero clone - $82
IPV-X 60w - $89
IPV Mini 30w - $50
Smok M50 - $70ish IIRC

I recommend the Sigelei 100w Plus, for $89 it is a fantastic mod, but al the options I listed are good.

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
What Raw said. The benefits for a mech are becoming less and less as regulated can handle more. My favorite is the Sigelei 100W plus. The 150W goes lower (.1 vs .15) and higher wattage but I don't need it yet.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With mech you need to sub ohm, in order to reach higher wattage, with box mods you don't.
But some box mods are unable to deliver it's stated to wattage as the resistance drops beyond or rises above a certain point.
As resistance rises you are limited by the device max voltage, as the resistance drops, by the max amperage, thats without considering any additional limitations, the chip manufacturer may have encoded in it.
What you need to do is build a coil with as much surface area, that is still able to heat up within a reasonable amount of time, at the desired wattage.

Last edited:

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Unregulated box, dual battery mosfet protected box.
Regulated, Raptor or OKL 20 amp dual battery box.

Last edited:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Since you have mechs already, get a sig 100+ and see what it's like to have control over both power variables instead of only one. It changes everything.

Alrighty Sigelei 100w+ It is I guess haha, is there anywhere yall would suggest I buy it from cause no shopes near me have it in

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Since you have mechs already, get a sig 100+ and see what it's like to have control over both power variables instead of only one. It changes everything.
This

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
If you got it from a B&M you will pay for about two of them in the real world.

I purchased my Sigelei 100 watt off of Ebay and was also able to get a two year extended warranty for another $10. Just a touch less than $100 for both.

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
http://www.westcoastvapesupply.com/ has it for $100 which is $10 more than you can find it for, but these guys have good customer service. I returned my original 100W to them for a new one after an issue and it was a no questions asked, mail us yours and after we confirm we mail you a new one.

Seems like no one around sells it, so should I get the IPV3 150w(I know it goes $40 over my origional budget) or just order the Sigelei 100w+ online ?

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Depends on how much the B&M charge and how fast you need it. I never used an IPV but I also don't buy mods from B&M. Anything over $30 online I order online due to mark up.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like to shop @ 3 in the morning. Hit a lot of auctions on ebay when everyone is sleepin' if I am lucky. Food shopping also, much less people. Also to "Five O" three in the morning, motorcycle, = $. Bike is legal, I never drink & ride. They just hate that. :)

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have never seen a person who owns both the ipv and a sig say they liked the ipv better. That's saying something. Get the sig.

VU Sponsors