Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
pledge_99035189-e1410588734961.jpg
There was only one dignitary at the 9/11 ceremony who didn’t place a hand on her heart during “The Star-Spangled Banner” — and it was the same person who once refused to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance.

It was Melissa Mark-Viverito, speaker of the City Council.

A photo of the anniversary event shows a line of officials, including Gov. Cuomo, Mayor de Blasio and former Mayors Mike Bloomberg and Rudy Giuliani, honoring the anthem by putting their hands over their hearts.

Cuomo’s girlfriend, Sandra Lee, has both hands over her heart.

But Mark-Viverito stands with her hands clasped in front of her.

Bronx state Sen. Ruben Diaz Sr. called it an insult.

“She doesn’t care about America. She’s a communist from Puerto Rico,” said Diaz, a minister who, like Mark-Viverito, is of Puerto Rican descent.

“She goes on sacred ground and disrespects America that way. It’s disrespectful to the heroes, the fallen who died on 9/11, it’s disrespectful to the victims and families of 9/11.”

This isn’t the first time questions have been raised about Mark-Viverito’s patriotism.

Before she ran for speaker, she didn’t stand for the Pledge of Allegiance at ceremonies.

An aide claimed it was the tradition in Puerto Rico. But a colleague said Mark-Viverito had told her a different story.

“When I met with her months ago, I asked her why she didn’t pledge to the flag. She told me she wanted Puerto Rico to be independent,” Queens Councilwoman Karen Koslowitz told Crain’s last year.

Mark-Viverito has since been standing during the pledge.

Eric Koch, Mark-Viverito’s spokesman, wouldn’t comment on her stance at Thursday’s Ground Zero ceremony but noted she gave a patriotic speech on Staten Island soon after.

“It’s tremendously sad that some would use the 9/11 ceremony — a time when New Yorkers come together — to try and score cheap political points,” Koch said.

“At the Staten Island ceremony, Melissa honored the first responders who sacrificed so much that day, our troops who have gone abroad to protect us and offered comfort and prayers to the families who lost loved ones.”

http://nypost.com/2014/09/13/mark-viverito-doesnt-place-hand-over-heart-during-911-ceremony/

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Is this really the kind of post a Moderator/Staff member should be posting?

Last edited:

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was going to say roughly the same thing, but I was afraid to be punished here for my opinions on the matter. Thank you @jeremy

VapinChevy

Abnormal Chevy Guy
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
Joe Biden didn't put his hand near his heart either lol. He put it under his rib. If ya wanna go for correction, they are all doing it wrong!

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
View attachment 5701
There was only one dignitary at the 9/11 ceremony who didn’t place a hand on her heart during “The Star-Spangled Banner” — and it was the same person who once refused to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance.

It was Melissa Mark-Viverito, speaker of the City Council.

A photo of the anniversary event shows a line of officials, including Gov. Cuomo, Mayor de Blasio and former Mayors Mike Bloomberg and Rudy Giuliani, honoring the anthem by putting their hands over their hearts.

Cuomo’s girlfriend, Sandra Lee, has both hands over her heart.

But Mark-Viverito stands with her hands clasped in front of her.

Bronx state Sen. Ruben Diaz Sr. called it an insult.

“She doesn’t care about America. She’s a communist from Puerto Rico,” said Diaz, a minister who, like Mark-Viverito, is of Puerto Rican descent.

“She goes on sacred ground and disrespects America that way. It’s disrespectful to the heroes, the fallen who died on 9/11, it’s disrespectful to the victims and families of 9/11.”

This isn’t the first time questions have been raised about Mark-Viverito’s patriotism.

Before she ran for speaker, she didn’t stand for the Pledge of Allegiance at ceremonies.

An aide claimed it was the tradition in Puerto Rico. But a colleague said Mark-Viverito had told her a different story.

“When I met with her months ago, I asked her why she didn’t pledge to the flag. She told me she wanted Puerto Rico to be independent,” Queens Councilwoman Karen Koslowitz told Crain’s last year.

Mark-Viverito has since been standing during the pledge.

Eric Koch, Mark-Viverito’s spokesman, wouldn’t comment on her stance at Thursday’s Ground Zero ceremony but noted she gave a patriotic speech on Staten Island soon after.

“It’s tremendously sad that some would use the 9/11 ceremony — a time when New Yorkers come together — to try and score cheap political points,” Koch said.

“At the Staten Island ceremony, Melissa honored the first responders who sacrificed so much that day, our troops who have gone abroad to protect us and offered comfort and prayers to the families who lost loved ones.”

http://nypost.com/2014/09/13/mark-viverito-doesnt-place-hand-over-heart-during-911-ceremony/

Who cares that's their right to choose... Just because one lives here does not mean I have to "LOVE MY COUNTRY"
I do not pledge allegiance to any flag or symbol or statue or anything and that's my choice.. This place sometimes makes me wanna puke but I stay cause its good entertainment

Reactions: jae

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
But unless you were a politico bobble head slobbering on the Obama knob or sucking off the commie czar Bloomturd you got told to FOAD... so all the first responders who actually lost brethren and family in that crap so many years ago have once again been shit on by the current admin.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
But unless you were a politico bobble head slobbering on the Obama knob or sucking off the commie czar Bloomturd you got told to FOAD... so all the first responders who actually lost brethren and family in that crap so many years ago have once again been shit on by the current admin.
Yeah but remember bro they get big monies for losing those loved ones I know it does not bring them back but still today huge sums of money go out.... I think to myself I am sorry they lost a loved one... but I lost loved ones to Cigarettes where is my payout.. :) not arguing man just rambling

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OpoQQ.jpg

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah but remember bro they get big monies for losing those loved ones I know it does not bring them back but still today huge sums of money go out.... I think to myself I am sorry they lost a loved one... but I lost loved ones to Cigarettes where is my payout.. :) not arguing man just rambling
I honestly would love to see the reports of the forensic accounting of where those pay outs were done.
I am kind of curious how much was bloomturd pocketed.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There was some reporting on that a long time ago. The payouts were based on the "future earnings" of the deceased.

So the brokers got a hell of a lot more money than the firemen, police, and other white and blue collar workers.

Bill

cherrycakes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Look I am not saying the pledge of allegiance and I'm not swearing on a bible either. Anyone want to call me a communist, fine. One nation under god I have a problem with. Whose god??

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well said Cherrycakes!

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i am so leaving this thread alone.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Look I am not saying the pledge of allegiance and I'm not swearing on a bible either. Anyone want to call me a communist, fine. One nation under god I have a problem with. Whose god??
No worries I have not said the pledge since 2001. This is not the country I swore my oath to.

VU Sponsors