Become a Patron!

Maple log or Beignet recipes?

dreadymark

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've searched all over for a recipe for a maple log (maple frosted doughnut) and haven't found one. Same for a beignet, although I found one that didn't look like a good one.

I'd be happy to take a great frosted doughnut recipe and play with it, but I just can't believe there isn't already a good maple log...

Pescondo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The idea of a maple log sounds tasty. I may work on this idea. For the maple frosting, I think I'll start with FA Maple syrup and Caramel. Then I might add some TFA Brown sugar. I'll let you know how this works.

For the doughnut, I'll try DIY Baked cinnamon roll and INW Biscuit.

Last edited:

dreadymark

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The idea of a maple log sounds tasty. I may work on this idea. For the maple frosting, I think I'll start with FA Maple syrup and Caramel. Then I might add some TFA Brown sugar. I'll let you know how this works.

For the doughnut, I'll try DIY Baked cinnamon roll and INW Biscuit.

Been looking to add biscuit to an order, but no one has had in in stock with the others I was looking for. Interested if the caramel helps turn the maple into a frosting taste.

Pescondo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The maple logs that I see at the bakery has the frosting that looks like caramel. I think caramel is brown sugar and butter. We'll see...

Pescondo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The maple logs that I see at the bakery has the frosting that looks like caramel. I think caramel is brown sugar and butter. We'll see...
After doing some research I found that "regular caramel is made with melted granulated sugar and butterscotch is made with brown sugar". I'll attempt to make the frosting and doughnut separately and then combine. I may also try Maple syrup and LA Cream cheese icing for the topping.

Last edited:

dreadymark

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
After doing some research I found that "regular caramel is made with melted granulated sugar and butterscotch with brown sugar". I'll attempt to make the frosting and doughnut separately and then combine. I may also try Maple syrup and LA Cream cheese icing for the topping.
Your 2nd version is what I had envisioned too. Eager to hear your results, although I don't have butterscotch, so part of me is hoping you do t find it essential ;)

Pescondo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I made the Maple icing with FA Maple Syrup, FW Salted Caramel and LA Cream cheese icing. It's aging now and smells great. I also made the log with OSDIY Baked cinnamon roll and INW Biscuit. We'll see in a few days.

dreadymark

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I made the Maple icing with FA Maple Syrup, FW Salted Caramel and LA Cream cheese icing. It's aging now and smells great. I also made the log with OSDIY Baked cinnamon roll and INW Biscuit. We'll see in a few days.
Nice! I can't do cinnamon but I have some biscuit on the way. Definitely eager to hear how it comes out after a steep.

Pescondo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The baked cinnamon roll is the only flavor that I have that has that doughy taste. I'm hoping to pull that taste out further with the biscuit. If that doesn't work I'll try some TFA AP. I may end up with a maple cinnamon roll...not that it would be bad. I haven't heard any great reviews on the frosted doughnut flavors that are out there.

dreadymark

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The baked cinnamon roll is the only flavor that I have that has that doughy taste. I'm hoping to pull that taste out with the biscuit. If that doesn't work I'll try some TFA AP. I haven't heard any great reviews on the frosted doughnut flavors that are out there.
I understand. I didn't have any of those flavor a either. Grabbed FA Joy, FA Croissant, and the INW biscuit to try getting the bakery feel.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Grabbed FA Joy, FA Croissant, and the INW biscuit to try getting the bakery feel.

Hmm, where did you get the FA Croissant?

FA is supposed to be reformulating this one since it has the bad stuff in it ... I've been waiting for it to come out because I really like the 'bad' version but am hoping the 'clean' version is just as good. :)

dreadymark

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hmm, where did you get the FA Croissant?

FA is supposed to be reformulating this one since it has the bad stuff in it ... I've been waiting for it to come out because I really like the 'bad' version but am hoping the 'clean' version is just as good. :)
Dang it, I'm sure I ended up with the bad version then :( no wonder I hadn't heard of it...
I made an order from DIY vapor supply because they had most of the other hard to find flavors on my list. Thought I got lucky, now I look and see they have all the bad flavors, with no mention of any potential hazard in them. Live and learn. I know it's my responsibility to research which ones are t safe, but I sure do appreciate a vendor who flags them for me.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Dang it, I'm sure I ended up with the bad version then :( no wonder I hadn't heard of it...
I made an order from DIY vapor supply because they had most of the other hard to find flavors on my list. Thought I got lucky, now I look and see they have all the bad flavors, with no mention of any potential hazard in them. Live and learn. I know it's my responsibility to research which ones are t safe, but I sure do appreciate a vendor who flags them for me.

I hear you ... I wish vendors would band together to demand that type of information up front rather than being forced to manually research the information themselves. They do hold some clout when presented as a group so they might actually make some headway with the flavor manufacturers who aren't as open on this subject as FA and TFA are.

The good thing about FA Croissant is that you don't need to use much to get a nice light flavor which is something I prefer these days. Plus, it at least has to be better than say CAP Vanilla Custard in that ( diketones ) regard! :eek:

:D

dreadymark

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I hear you ... I wish vendors would band together to demand that type of information up front rather than being forced to manually research the information themselves. They do hold some clout when presented as a group so they might actually make some headway with the flavor manufacturers who aren't as open on this subject as FA and TFA are.

The good thing about FA Croissant is that you don't need to use much to get a nice light flavor which is something I prefer these days. Plus, it at least has to be better than say CAP Vanilla Custard in that ( diketones ) regard! :eek:

:D
I've never tried that CAP or other flavors that are on the hazard list. I know it limits my mixing, but I'd rather not know what I'm missing as opposed to missing something I find i love or feeling guilty about what I'm vaping.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've never tried that CAP or other flavors that are on the hazard list. I know it limits my mixing, but I'd rather not know what I'm missing as opposed to missing something I find i love or feeling guilty about what I'm vaping.

I totally get that and for the most part, I'm the same way. I do occasionally mix a recipe with some baddies in it but even when I do that, I trim those flavors down some. I know it's not completely clean but considering the amount I took in when I was buying juice from vendors, it's still a very positive change.

I don't have kids either so you definitely have more incentive to take better care of yourself than I do! :D

Pescondo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm vaping the icing part of the mix now. I'd say it's pretty close to what I had in mind for the Maple Log icing. However the log part tastes like cinnamon roll.

So, it's back to the drawing board for the doughnut taste. I think I'll try TFA Vanilla Cupcake and FA Cookie and see how that works.

Thanks for the inspiration @dreadymark.

dreadymark

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm vaping the icing part of the mix now. I'd say it's pretty close to what I had in mind for the Maple Log icing. However the log part tastes like cinnamon roll.

So, it's back to the drawing board for the doughnut taste. I think I'll try TFA Vanilla Cupcake and FA Cookie and see how that works.

Thanks for the inspiration @dreadymark.
I've been busy or sick and haven't mixed for a week. :( If I get a chance to mix tonight I'll try your icing and maybe experiment with the donut part. I have some FA Nonna Cake I've been wanting to try; maybe with a little cookie and/or Joy, and some vanilla cupcake. Just had a maple donut this morning, still excited about the potential vape :)

Pescondo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've been vaping the Maple Icing all day and it's good. My mix was 2% FA Maple Syrup, 1% FW Salted Caramel and 1% LA Cream Cheese Icing. If I change anything, it will be LA CCI to .5% and add 1 drop of TFA Brown Sugar.

dreadymark

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yes! Brown sugar sounds choice. Going to try this asap! You think I should drop the CCI to .5% then?

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
lmao!!! i don't keep recipes like most diy people which is why I'm never in the diy section.
best thing i got is

1 part tfa frosted donut
1/4 part tfa pie crust
1 part sweet cream

i will say insane e-liquid has a pretty good one though

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
damn, now I'm hungry for Beignet's. Shit.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
gonna have me at café du monde later

dreadymark

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm going to play around with this for a starter, but hoping to find a way to get FA nonna cake in there, maybe in place of Joy. And maybe FA cookie in place of CAP sugar cookie, but I have no idea how these will change it.
3c017f88b45814d58f8c118a34f556ee.jpg

Pescondo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm going to play around with this for a starter, but hoping to find a way to get FA nonna cake in there, maybe in place of Joy. And maybe FA cookie in place of CAP sugar cookie, but I have no idea how these will change it.
Does the sugar cookie have a cinnamon note?

dreadymark

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I haven't tried it either. I thought I'd read that it was a snickerdoodle blend.
I sure hope not. But, I'm also keen on making it work without that one. Hopefully some combination of FA cookie, INW biscuit, FA Nonna Cake and/or joy; with meringue of course.

Pescondo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I sure hope not. But, I'm also keen on making it work without that one. Hopefully some combination of FA cookie, INW biscuit, FA Nonna Cake and/or joy; with meringue of course.
Let me know how it turns out. I think the doughy log part of this recipe will be the key.

Tomorrow morning, I'm headed to the neighborhood doughnut store for a warm maple log. Just for the sake of mixing...

dreadymark

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Let me know how it turns out. I think the doughy log part of this recipe will be the key.

Tomorrow morning, I'm headed to the neighborhood doughnut store for a warm maple log. Just for the sake of mixing...
For science ;)

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm not sure about Nonna Cake here, to me it's more cheesecake like as opposed to cakey but then again, I haven't used it very much so far.

Now that's been mentioned, I might have to pick up one to test too ... I can't remember the last time I had a maple log and it seems unfair to have only one person doing all the testing. ;)

dreadymark

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm not sure about Nonna Cake here, to me it's more cheesecake like as opposed to cakey but then again, I haven't used it very much so far.

Now that's been mentioned, I might have to pick up one to test too ... I can't remember the last time I had a maple log and it seems unfair to have only one person doing all the testing. ;)
Thanks for the Nonna tip. I haven't played with it yet, but keep seeing it used for cakey type things; hadn't heard the cheesecake comparison yet, I'll be bummed if that's what I taste from it. Then again, I've only played with Joy a couple times but never got the stale beer taste I've heard some get.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Dang, pickup the chocolate bunnies while you are at it....

dreadymark

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Tried this and a couple variations last night. Whom they still need time, a quick taste verified that Nonna cake is not a good sub for a donut. I also played with %s of the biscuit, cookie, & joy; found I liked the original % best so far.
I give it a few days and come back to it, by then my CAP sugar cookie will be here and I can put it there in place of the FA cookie I used (@ 1.5%).

chief63

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Think I'm going to revisit the French Quarter Clone and sub out the Joy. In Amy's Cronut recipe, she uses a touch of FA Custard and TFA Dulce de Leche (i used 0.5) and I left out the Joy. Pretty good, better than Bronuts IMO. Wonder if it would work here.

Last edited:

Pescondo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Nice find. Plus, I happen to have all of those flavors! Going to try another variation on that other one too.
I guess it's been a couple days and time to try the mix again as well.
I have everything but Joy. The stale beer reference scared me. I'll try it without the joy of stale beer. Lol!

dreadymark

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have everything but Joy. The stale beer reference scared me. I'll try it without the joy of stale beer. Lol!
I think, like many flavors, using too much turns it into something different. Being an FA flavor, it really never needs more than 2% in anything, often less.
If you like FA it's totally worth it. Meringue does balance it into something nice.

RonaldStark

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Tried this and a couple variations last night. Whom they still need time, a quick taste verified that Nonna cake is not a good sub for a donut. I also played with %s of the biscuit, cookie, & joy; found I liked the original % best so far.
I give it a few days and come back to it, by then my CAP sugar cookie will be here and I can put it there in place of the FA cookie I used (@ 1.5%).

This recipe is very good, if I made it again though I'd drop the sugar cookie %. It was a little rich and popcornlungy for my taste

LittleBird

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dready!!! It's so good to "see" you!

Probably you've already got your doughnut/beignet recipe sorted, but if not, FA Zeppola. @HeadInClouds has been playing with it and says it's spot on for beignets. Perhaps check out his thread -- there's a good write-up at the end. :)

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Been looking to add biscuit to an order, but no one has had in in stock with the others I was looking for. Interested if the caramel helps turn the maple into a frosting taste.

(Like @LittleBird said, FA Zeppola is gonna be popular with donut fans.)
The maple glaze on those store donuts looks like caramel, but that's just because the powdered sugar and milk makes it opaque. That kind of glaze uses lots of vanilla, too.

Percentages are just estimates, but I'd start with 3% Zeppola, 2% Vanilla Classic, 1% Vienna Cream, 1.5% Maple Syrup, all FA flavors. That may or may not be precisely what you want, but it'll be a vape-able, reasonable, maple-y start. If that's not enough Zeppola for the doughnut part, consider adding just 0.5% FA Cookie rather than more Zeppola. Over about 3% Zeppola and you'll taste cinnamon, especially as it ages a bit. A little TFA Brown Sugar could be a good addition, but look out for the DX (diketone-free) version of it, which has a stronger molasses-type flavor that could make maple taste a little weird.

A couple notes about FA Maple Syrup. If your bottle is very old, shake it & taste it before you start. When it gets old, it changes (not well!), loses its sweetness & will ruin everything it touches. Also - this flavoring leaves a strong maple-syrup-scented vapor trail. Vape it in the kitchen and someone will come looking for pancakes.

VU Sponsors