Become a Patron!

magnetic mixer - overkill?

Stephan1eMitchell

Member For 4 Years
I mix fairly large batches - 370ml - that makes about twelve 30ml bottles.

I'm sure commercial producers would not consider that a large batch but for me it's pretty big.

Here's my mixing routine - please let me know if it is excessive.

I picked up a magnetic mixer for $50 USD just to play around with it. I figured I could always put it back on eBay if I didn't end up using it. It doesn't have a heater but it is an electric appliance so it does give off some heat - after a couple hours, the juice is noticeably warm.

So.... I leave it on the mixer for 2 hours. Then I leave the flask in a dark place for a couple days to steep. The first 12 hours I leave the top off for it to breathe. Then when it's time to bottle it, I magnetic mix it for another 30 minutes and then bottle it. Then the 30ml bottles will usually sit around for a few weeks before I get to them - some extra steeping time.

I assume that my juice is well mixed and adequately steeped using this method, but would most people consider this ridiculous overkill? I've seen people dump the ingredients in a bottle and give er a shake and use it right away but I've always mixed mine using the routine I just described.

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why don't you mix up 2 identical batches at the same time. Do your normal routine on one batch, and then just give the 2nd batch a quick shake and then let it sit on the table until the first batch is complete (to allow time for it to mix on it's own). Fill 2 identical tanks and then report back to us if you think it makes a difference?

I do not believe in steeping. It is mixing. Shake long enough, no need to wait. You can force it with heat, but heat degrades nicotine. Your electric mixer probably has the job completely done within the first 30 seconds.

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've never used a mixer so I can't attest to that. However, I rarely leave the cap off my juices. The only exception is if one of the flavors has ethyl alcohol and/or has a very harsh hit (usually indicates alcohol) or is overly perfumey and I feel that leaving the cap off can save it. I personally do not believe leaving the cap off is necessary in most circumstances.
I have a couple recipes that I can just shake and vape right away but most I will let steep at least a couple of days. I always use a hot water bath right after mixing merely to warm the VG to a more flexible state so it incorporates into the other ingredients easier. (I mix high VG)

KentA

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
The magnetic miser I picked up on ebay is underkill. No much seems to be happening with even 100 ml in the beaker, & I usually mix 240ml batches.

Do you get a vortex with 370ml?

I've been using this instead. It's quick, easy & mixes well.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
IMHO, if it is working well for YOU just go with the flow.

Me, I have a nice 2 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner with a heater function that I use to speed steep my liquids from time to time as well as clean any new tanks or tank parts that I get.

Most seem to think this is overkill but I am happy.

Stephan1eMitchell

Member For 4 Years
Why don't you mix up 2 identical batches at the same time. Do your normal routine on one batch, and then just give the 2nd batch a quick shake and then let it sit on the table until the first batch is complete (to allow time for it to mix on it's own). Fill 2 identical tanks and then report back to us if you think it makes a difference?

I do not believe in steeping. It is mixing. Shake long enough, no need to wait. You can force it with heat, but heat degrades nicotine. Your electric mixer probably has the job completely done within the first 30 seconds.

That's a great idea, I don't know why I didn't think of that. I will report back to the group.

I like your tagline btw. I'm probly the only one in Canada who would, we're pretty far left up here! :^)

Stephan1eMitchell

Member For 4 Years
The magnetic miser I picked up on ebay is underkill. No much seems to be happening with even 100 ml in the beaker, & I usually mix 240ml batches.

Do you get a vortex with 370ml?

I've been using this instead. It's quick, easy & mixes well.

Thanks everyone for your replies - very useful information.

I can get a vortex if I use a small spinner. An inch or longer will not get much of a vortex going at 50/50 in a 1000 ml flask. (Depth of juice maybe 1.5 inches.) A 3/4" inch spinner will spin pretty well in 50/50.

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like your tagline btw. I'm probly the only one in Canada who would, we're pretty far left up here! :^)
LOL. I hope your lefties are a little less insane than ours. Ours are quite embarrassing.

We like Canada. You folks are our good neighbors. I hope to visit some day. Take off ya hoser! Eh.

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I mix fairly large batches - 370ml - that makes about twelve 30ml bottles.

I'm sure commercial producers would not consider that a large batch but for me it's pretty big.

Here's my mixing routine - please let me know if it is excessive.

I picked up a magnetic mixer for $50 USD just to play around with it. I figured I could always put it back on eBay if I didn't end up using it. It doesn't have a heater but it is an electric appliance so it does give off some heat - after a couple hours, the juice is noticeably warm.

So.... I leave it on the mixer for 2 hours. Then I leave the flask in a dark place for a couple days to steep. The first 12 hours I leave the top off for it to breathe. Then when it's time to bottle it, I magnetic mix it for another 30 minutes and then bottle it. Then the 30ml bottles will usually sit around for a few weeks before I get to them - some extra steeping time.

I assume that my juice is well mixed and adequately steeped using this method, but would most people consider this ridiculous overkill? I've seen people dump the ingredients in a bottle and give er a shake and use it right away but I've always mixed mine using the routine I just described.
i mix up 500mls at a time (30mls/day),, i use the mixer below $30, it came with a 500ml (++) measuring cup. i put 250mls of VG in,, then add my flavors and top off to the 500ml mark with pg. it mixes to white foam in less than a minute. (same goal with a magnetic mixer) (fyi,,,i have a real magnetic mixer (freebie),,,but i would rather have a tool that does more than 1 job)

pss-i do NOT put my nic in this main batch,, that is added at 'time of use'.... i wonder between 0 to 2 or 3mg of nic

Cuisinart Smart Stick CSB-75BC 200 Watt 2 Speed Hand Blender, Brushed Chrome
71FnWioWbuL._SY606_.jpg

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I don't know why there has to be a vortex when your using the mixer. All you have to do is shine a flashlight into the mix while its mixing to see how its mixing. I leave my mix mixing for a hour or so without the nic then add the nic the next day after the bubbles have dissipated. I mix 200mls at a time, no vortex ever with a 20mm stirbar. My mixer is a computer HD magnet, with the fan blades all cut out so it spins faster and a fan controller. I think it works awesome, mixes thoroughly and I haven't shaken a bottle of juice in over a year and a half. IMO the mixer cuts out the intermittent shaking people do while their juice is steeping and does speed up steeping a bit. I also seed my mixes with @10% previous mix to help things along.

hellcatrydr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here ya go blurry lady... :)

#1 with a bullet. Do NOT add nic to the juice while steeping.
Frankly, it's best to add it shortly (w/in 4-5 days) before you vape.
Oxidation begins with the addition of the nic.

Just mix it, (leave a lil room in the bottle)... and give it a good shake... forget the machinations. ;)
You don't need a laser guided, asymetrical bluetooth quantum juice shaker. :)

I mix 300-400 ml at a time too.
I mix into a 500 ml glass beaker (no nic) and then heat that mix in a crockpot for a bit to thin it out.
At that point, it's almost as thin as water so a good stir with a tablespoon works just fine.
HTH...

Leaving the bottles uncapped? Are you using alcohol based flavors?

Last edited:

jazzman

"I'm Old, Fat and Ugly with a crappy attitude!
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I always use a mixer. Forget all that shaking crap. You don't have to work hard at making e-liquid, just work smart. If using a mixer works for you, Keep using the mixer! You are the only one that can tell yourself if you are doing it wrong or spending too much time on mixing. Mix the way you want too!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I am a big fan of the Liquid Barn mixer but lately since I have time to wait for infusion I have been mixing in the bottles. I have noticed that it takes a little longer for everything to properly mix when I do not use the mixer because when I shake the bottles I see the different liquids. Just my personal observation and anytime I do not want to wait a few days I will always use my mixer and heat up to but never over 150°F.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Update on my post from before after the last 4 hours most of the last 180 Ml's in 3 60 ML bottles have basically totally mixed. Only one still shows som separation of the ingredients after a shake. Only thing I am doing is an occasional shake while they sit under my desk lamp which they never get hotter than about 100°F. Recorded the temp with an infrared laser temp sensor. Remember this is not scientific data recording and just my personal experience.

hellcatrydr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Only one still shows som separation of the ingredients after a shake.
It sounds to me like your bottle is too full, which makes shaking muuch less effective.

Leave some room in the bottle... the air in the bottle is your friend while shaking.
Shaking is really all that is needed.
Warm it up in a crock pot for a few minutes to thin it out if you need to.

VU Sponsors