Become a Patron!

Mad Max: Charlize Theron on 'Heartbreaking' Recasting of Furiosa

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
While Mad Max: Fury Road is getting a prequel, Charlize Theron won't be reprising her role as the heroic Imperator Furiosa. And Theron has now spoken about how she feels handing the reins to another actress. Theron revealed her conflicted feelings about the prequel during an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, where she describes allowing another actress to take up the mantle of Furiosa as "a little heartbreaking." [ignvideo url="https://www.ign.com/videos/2020/03/26/furiosa-the-new-mutants-anya-taylor-joy-reportedly-up-for-mad-max-spin-off"] “It’s a tough one to swallow. Listen, I fully respect George [Miller], if not more so in the aftermath of making Fury Road with him. He’s a master, and I wish him nothing but the best," Theron told THR. “Yeah, it’s a little heartbreaking, for sure. I really love that character, and I’m so grateful that I had a small part in creating her. She will forever be someone I think of and reflect on fondly. Obviously, I would love to see that story continue, and if he feels like he has to go about it this way, then I trust him in that manner. We get so hung up on the smaller details that we forget the thing that we emotionally tap into has nothing to do with that minute thing that we’re focusing on.” As we learned back in March, Miller is currently casting the prequel with the intent of shooting in 2021. New Mutants star Anya Taylor-Joy is rumored to be a frontrunner for the role of a younger Furiosa. Miller has been planning a Furiosa prequel for several years at this point, first hinting at the idea mere months after the release of Fury Road. "She's a pretty compelling character so it'd be great to tell her story," Miller told Entertainment Weekly in 2016. "Her backstory is pretty interesting, we only allude to it in this movie. This movie is on the run, people don't have much time for recreational talk. You have a sense of her having gone through stuff, that's what the movie is trying to do. You know, you're trying to put a lot of iceberg under the tip, I like saying." [widget path="global/article/imagegallery" parameters="albumSlug=the-25-best-sci-fi-movies&captions=true"] The good news is that Theron continues to appear in other big-budget action movies. She's next appearing in Netflix's comic book adaptation The Old Guard, which debuts on the streamer on Friday, July 10. You can check out IGN's advance review of The Old Guard for more on the new movie. [poilib element="accentDivider"] Jesse is a mild-mannered staff writer for IGN. Allow him to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket by following @jschedeen on Twitter.

Continue reading...

VU Sponsors