Become a Patron!

Lowered my Nic to 6 from12, now I'm vaping twice as much

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I will start of by saying I have been cigarette free for 6 months thanks to vaping. I started vaping with a Kanger Emow & 18mg Juice. After a couple weeks I bought an Istick and a Kanger Subtank Mini. I lowered my Nic to 12mg and used 1.2ohm coils. I vaped with this set up for 5 months and was happy. A number of people in vape shops recommended I lower my Nic to 6mg with my set-up for a more flavorful and less harsh vape, so a couple weeks ago I started buying 6mg juice and I still use 1.2ohm coils. I do prefer the flavor I am getting and the vape is less harsh, but now I am vaping almost twice as much as I did before & I am going through twice as much juice and coils.

AT this point do you guys & girls think I should start using sub ohm coils? I already have two Subtank Mini's so I will not have to buy any new tanks, but I have been trying to avoid starting sub because I thought I would go through more juice. At this point I "think" I might use less juice if I start sub ohming because I will get more satisfaction out of each vape and maybe vape less? :confused: Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have lowered my nic to 5 mg when I started dripping and using these awesome Crown subtanks..
At 75w these subtanks have a much stronger nicotine delivery than anything I've tried prior, including the STM...
I'm finding in about 2-3 deep lung hits my acquired nicotine addition completely satisfied... Good for about an hour and I hit it again, lol
I do use a little more juice but I don't have to vape as often..

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm finding in about 2-3 deep lung hits my acquired nicotine addition completely satisfied... Good for about an hour and I hit it again, lol

Good for and hour!!! LOL I am hitting my vape every 5 to 10 minutes at this point and I'm not completely satisfied.

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
6mg Juice, 70/30 VG/PG Brand is U-Turn, Crunch Berry for the past couple days.
1.2 ohm OCC Coils in Subtank Mini
17 watts

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
6mg Juice, 70/30 VG/PG Brand is U-Turn, Crunch Berry for the past couple days.
1.2 ohm OCC Coils in Subtank Mini
17 watts
Sounds to me that's the problem...
That set up is weak in nicotine delivery..
I say I'm satisfied because I use sub ohm tanks at anywhere from 50-75w..
For example my favorite is my newly acquired Uwell Crown Subtank ..using the .25 stainless steel coil at 75w it blows good clouds, awesome flavor and after 2-3 good deep pulls I'm good for about an hour with 5 mgs of nic in my VG max juice...4 hits back to back I get the tingles, and in 5 hits I break out in a sweat...very efficient nic delivery..
So I think if you upgraded to a mod that has at least 75w available, and use a quality Subtank like the Crown, you could be completely satisfied too...just a thought

Last edited:

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Drop down to the .5 ohm coil and play with the wattage until you find a comfortable vape. Then see if your cravings are satisfied and how much juice you're using. Once you have something to compare your decision will easier to make.

Doots

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I started 7 years ago at 36mg and am now down to 3-6mg and works for me fine. YMMV. If higher works for you, keep it up!

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Drop down to the .5 ohm coil and play with the wattage until you find a comfortable vape. Then see if your cravings are satisfied and how much juice you're using. Once you have something to compare your decision will easier to make.
That would be a good idea if the mod he's using can fire sub ohm...he stated he was using the 1.2 coil so I assumed it could be something like a Provari.. Don't know for sure..

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
You basically dropped your nic level too fast. By 50% and your body feels cheated.

If you had dropped down to 10% nic, it would not be that much of an issue.

Some places will provide Liquid with a custom nic level.

Bulk E-Juice for example. Just tell them what you want in the comment section of your order.

Possibly other places as well but you just have to ask them.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That would be a good idea if the mod he's using can fire sub ohm...he stated he was using the 1.2 coil so I assumed it could be something like a Provari.. Don't know for sure..

He said it was an Istick. If it's the original 20W then no. Any of the other's, yes. Since he asked about using sub coils I just assumed it was one of the later models.

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

My mod can fire up to 40 watts so using a 0.5 ohm coil should not be a problem.

You basically dropped your nic level too fast. By 50% and your body feels cheated.

No doubt I dropped too fast. I was actually a little cranky and irritated for the first few days as well. In my neck of the woods my options for store bought juice are 18mg, 12mg, 6mg, 3mg & 0.

I probably should have bought 12 mg and 6mg juice and mixed them together but I really didn't think dropping my nic level was going to be a problem. Maybe at some point in my life I will stop under estimating the power of nicotine o_O

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you have the exact same flavors in 6mg and 12mg you can always try to mix them to get around 9mg while your body transitions to the lower nic level. I love the 1.2 ohm coils myself. They give a nice cool vape but the lower watt settings also help for that. If it's the cost of the eliquid that concerns you it might be a good idea to look at some low cost juice vendors. You can sometimes find very nice juice for crazy low prices online.

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
He said it was an Istick. If it's the original 20W then no. Any of the other's, yes. Since he asked about using sub coils I just assumed it was one of the later models.

Yes, my Istick is a 30 watt and I also have a Wismec Presa 40 Watt that I use most of the time now.

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you have the exact same flavors in 6mg and 12mg you can always try to mix them to get around 9mg while your body transitions to the lower nic level. I love the 1.2 ohm coils myself. They give a nice cool vape but the lower watt settings also help for that. If it's the cost of the eliquid that concerns you it might be a good idea to look at some low cost juice vendors. You can sometimes find very nice juice for crazy low prices online.

The cost of juice is not a concern, although I did like the fact that a 30ml bottle of juice lasted me 10 days or so.

I did not want to sub ohm for a couple reasons:

-More juice consumption
-I like compact mods that fit in my pocket and don't need to be charged constantly, my mods last me two full days at 17 watts between charges. Its a little less now that I am vaping more
- I feel that sub ohm-ing might get me deeper into another nicotine addiction. ( I might be completely wrong on this point.)

I was hoping to eventually get to 0mg juice at some point and only vape for pleasure on occasion. I did start vaping to get off cigarettes and EVENTUALLY off nicotine, but I am happy with just not smoking cigarettes for now.

Dead_Chivalry

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I Def recommend dripping. It's much easier to build then people realize. Watch some videos ask questions and stay safe. You can go down to 3 MG if u drip and get plenty of nic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I Def recommend dripping. It's much easier to build then people realize. Watch some videos ask questions and stay safe. You can go down to 3 MG if u drip and get plenty of nic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I thought I used to be addicted only to nicotine, but when I started dripping I got addicted to clouds, and now find myself addicted to both!
705292f75c899acb9d1ff67294076e71.jpg

Its also why I like the Crown Subtank so much....clouds and flavor just short of dripping, using 5mgs of nic in my VG max juice..the best of both worlds, lol

Last edited:

Barbara E.

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If you're concerned about using more juice, don't try sub-ohming. You will go through waaaay more eliquid. (Those nice big clouds are directly related to how much eliquid you're vaporizing.) People typically drop their nicotine when they sub-ohm because they're going through more liquid, otherwise they'll get too much nicotine.

If you were happy with the 12 mg/ml eliquid and a 1.2 ohm coil, why not just stick with that?? To reduce the harshness, get the same flavor at 12 mg/ml but increase the percentage of VG. If you want more flavor, you have to either 1) burn through more liquid or 2) find a liquid that tastes stronger to you. (Eliquids vary tremendously in how 'flavorful' they are.)

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Dripping does not appeal to me at all. I really seems like allot of work to me:D I get annoyed when I have to re-fill my tank twice a day. I spend allot of time at work and in my car driving to see customers so tanks work well for me. The only time I could drip is at home in the evenings, and I don't actually vape that much when I am home. I never smoked in my house so I rarely smoked cigarettes when I was home. That habit of rarely smoking once I get home has actually carried over to my vaping. I do have a few vapes in my house when I am home but VERY little. For some reason I am able to control my nicotine cravings once I walk through my front door. (I'm sure my stress level has allot to do with that)

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you're concerned about using more juice, don't try sub-ohming. You will go through waaaay more eliquid. (Those nice big clouds are directly related to how much eliquid you're vaporizing.) People typically drop their nicotine when they sub-ohm because they're going through more liquid, otherwise they'll get too much nicotine.

Thats what I'm afraid of. Once I start I doubt I will want to stop.

If you were happy with the 12 mg/ml eliquid and a 1.2 ohm coil, why not just stick with that?? To reduce the harshness, get the same flavor at 12 mg/ml but increase the percentage of VG. If you want more flavor, you have to either 1) burn through more liquid or 2) find a liquid that tastes stronger to you. (Eliquids vary tremendously in how 'flavorful' they are.)

I really am considering going back to 12mg because I was happy at 12. I actually vaped some 12mg juice the other day because I ran out of 6mg & It was MUCH more satisfying, but I was shocked at how harsh it felt and the flavor was not nearly as enjoyable as 6mg. Its funny that after vaping 6mg for only a couple weeks 12 mg seems so harsh to me now.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So go higher or lower on the ohms with the 6mg and see what that does...I needed 12mg for my 1.5 1.8 ohm coils or i wasnt happy...the only reason i dropped nic level was because the newer tanks and rda's i tried gave me more nic consumption in general..im at 3mg now in rda's and 6 in my orchid hybrids.

More ohms and less wattage will decrease intake...Lower ohms and more wattage will increase it even at the same nic level.

Last edited:

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dripping does not appeal to me at all. I really seems like allot of work to me:D

Don't forget about the mess. Most drippers tend to leave your mod with juice around the base much more often than a good tank. I just got a 13 Heavens 9 Hells RDA. The flavor and clouds are pretty killer but the mess is obnoxious. My Veritas is the most leak proof dripper I have but it's still messier than my tanks, which generally don't leak a drop. RDAs are crazy easy to build on and they can pour out flavor and vapor, but for some of us they're just an occasional thing. If they don't appeal to you then it's best to steer clear. Tanks are just so damn good right now. Nobody has to subohm or drip. It's all about not smoking.

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nobody has to subohm or drip. It's all about not smoking.

Very true, as long as we are not smoking cigarettes we are doing it right.

I am just going to tough it out with 6mg and 1.2 ohm coils for a few more days. I'm hoping the amount I am vaping will decrease with time as my body get accustomed to the lower nic level. If it doesn't I will try sub-ohming with 6mg juice.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Lots of tanks out that sub ohm. But the caveat with that is sub ohming also uses battery power faster too. Also more juice consumption.

It's all about what works best for you. Sounds to me, if you like your vape experience, than all you need to do is blend 6 mg and 12 mg equally to get 9 mg for a while.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes it's true that vaping keeps us tobacco free..that said I guess sub ohm to me is about performance..Its like comparing a Volkswagen to a Porche...both will get you to where your going, but the performance of the Porsche is awesome!
It's like that with me vaping...and the long list of really great mods and subtanks makes it a no brainer, least it's that way with me...just sayin

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Merrick92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you're going to go back up to 12, do it sooner rather than later. I dropped from 6 to 3 and after a couple of weeks noticed I was vaping way more than previously. I tried going back up to 6 and found that I was still vaping way more than before. I think i just got used to doing it more often. I wound up going back down to 3 because my consumption didn't change when I went back up, and I figured if I'm going to go through 120 mls a week, might as well be at 3mg. :p :D

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Update:

So I caved and bought a 0.5 ohm coil and tried it out. I liked it but I was not thrilled. I did get a bit more throat hit, but not as much as I would like. On a whim I decided to play with the RBA section that came with my Subtank Mini (version 1) Before I made my first coil I drilled two 5/64" holes in the sides of the RBA to help with juice flow as many here have suggested. I built my coil with the pre-wrapped 0.5 ohm wire that come with the kit. The RBA is definitely giving me the throat hit I was looking for and a completely satisfying vape. Its actually a little too much for me so I am going to try to make a coil that comes in around 0.8ohm or so.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just made the drop to 3mg, and feel like I'm getting too much Nic at this point. Just the opposite of your results.

But, I did make several changes. #1 I got a temp control box. #2 I hit it like a banshee all day (not really a change). #3 I'm sub ohming now rather than utilizing the 1.2ohm OCC. #4 I'm building all my coils at this point. My last trip destroyed my faith in finding a reputable outlet while on the road for OCC factory builds.

I'll attribute the smoother transition to the fact I would vape 0mg juice frequently while using 9mg at the same time. Not the above changes. Although they may have helped too.

HABIT is what I have, hand to mouth. So the 0mg is a necessity IMHO, for me to make the changes. Although my SO says I should just do it, and be done with it to prevent withdrawals each time I step down.

But, I made it to 3mg my way. And that's what you'll have to do. Even after all the suggestions have been given.

VU Sponsors