Become a Patron!

Lower ohm vs higher ohm

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi guys im just trying to understand this ohm lark does lower ohm means less battery used?
Atm i got 26 gauge kan at 8 wraps round the screwdriver bit what comes with the subtank mini and thats giving me .7ohm 20w is 3.7v if i get a 1ohm coil at 20w is like 4v so i guess this mean lower ohm will be using less battery but giving me the same kinda vape at the same wattage?? Correct me if im wrong plz!!!
So in theory it doesn't matter what ohms you do they will all be the same rite?
And any suggestions on wraps for flavour would be a great help thnx

happy vaping

MikeSully

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Wattage accounts for resistance in a sense, so 20 watts at one resistance is 20 watts at any other resistance. It measures power. Power is a calculation of volts AND amps, when you see a lower voltage at the same wattage (because of lower resistance) it means more amperage is being used, draining your battery just as fast. Essentially, no matter what build you use- when set at a specific wattage, your batteries will drain at the same speed, because wattage accounts for both factors which drain your battery. That's why batteries are rated for capacity (mah) and discharge (amps or sometimes C).

As far as builds go... I use RTA's and love dual parallel high mass builds. My go-to is 26ga, 2.5mm dual parallel, 8 (16) wraps. Reads out around 0.24 ohms.

Good luck!

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Wattage accounts for resistance in a sense, so 20 watts at one resistance is 20 watts at any other resistance. It measures power. Power is a calculation of volts AND amps, when you see a lower voltage at the same wattage (because of lower resistance) it means more amperage is being used, draining your battery just as fast. Essentially, no matter what build you use- when set at a specific wattage, your batteries will drain at the same speed, because wattage accounts for both factors which drain your battery. That's why batteries are rated for capacity (mah) and discharge (amps or sometimes C).

As far as builds go... I use RTA's and love dual parallel high mass builds. My go-to is 26ga, 2.5mm dual parallel, 8 (16) wraps. Reads out around 0.24 ohms.

Good luck!
Thnx for the info!
20w on my istick 30w seems to be my sweet spot so if i use thicker wire giving lower ohm at 20w i will be using more power then a higher ohm at 20w? If so then why do people wana get low ohms if it dosent change anything? So i guess on my istick im better with a thinner gauage at 6 wraps for around 1ohm rite?

happy vaping

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ohm simply means 'resistance to electricity'. You can make a teeny 2ohm 32ga coil (which produces a teeny bit of vapor), or a very large 2ohm 24ga coil (that puts out a ton of vapor). The only thing thats similar between the two is the ohms, but nothing else.

What atty are you using?

MikeSully

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
...so if i use thicker wire giving lower ohm at 20w i will be using more power then a higher ohm at 20w?

Nope, same power. Watts IS power, so 20w=20w.

For flavor, I've always felt that 24 or 26 gauge with as many wraps as I can fit with room for wicking works best.

People use different builds for different vape experiences, not just battery life. At the same power level some will be hotter, some will heat up faster, or slower, some will produce great flavor, and others will produce monster clouds. The ability to properly get a tank to wick at a satisfying wattage is important to me when I build. Often, this is a similar type of build as one would also do for flavor... high-mass (or lots of wraps).

It really is a game of trial and error until you become an expert. Just have enough wire to experiment and not feel bad for throwing a build away and starting over... wire is cheap! Good luck.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thnx for the info!
20w on my istick 30w seems to be my sweet spot so if i use thicker wire giving lower ohm at 20w i will be using more power then a higher ohm at 20w? If so then why do people wana get low ohms if it dosent change anything? So i guess on my istick im better with a thinner gauage at 6 wraps for around 1ohm rite?

happy vaping
You need low ohms only when using unregulated mechanical mods. Since ohm means resistance, the lower the ohms, the more power can flow through.
The only other reason people get low ohms is the wire they prefer to use, when using regulated devices.

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ohm simply means 'resistance to electricity'. You can make a teeny 2ohm 32ga coil (which produces a teeny bit of vapor), or a very large 2ohm 24ga coil (that puts out a ton of vapor). The only thing thats similar between the two is the ohms, but nothing else.

What atty are you using?
I am using kanger subtank mini on an istick 30w im more after flavour
That said i dont 8wraps of 26g kan and and tryed 6wraps of same wire and seem like i got more flavour of the 6wraps?
Wicking is not a problems iv drilled holes in the rba buildable to give good wicking

happy vaping

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nope, same power. Watts IS power, so 20w=20w.

For flavor, I've always felt that 24 or 26 gauge with as many wraps as I can fit with room for wicking works best.

People use different builds for different vape experiences, not just battery life. At the same power level some will be hotter, some will heat up faster, or slower, some will produce great flavor, and others will produce monster clouds. The ability to properly get a tank to wick at a satisfying wattage is important to me when I build. Often, this is a similar type of build as one would also do for flavor... high-mass (or lots of wraps).

It really is a game of trial and error until you become an expert. Just have enough wire to experiment and not feel bad for throwing a build away and starting over... wire is cheap! Good luck.
So if i do like 9-10 wraps for 1ohm ish with 26g or do 1ohm with a 30g less wraps they would both use the same battery power?

happy vaping

MikeSully

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I am using kanger subtank mini on an istick 30w im more after flavour
That said i dont 8wraps of 26g kan and and tryed 6wraps of same wire and seem like i got more flavour of the 6wraps?
Wicking is not a problems iv drilled holes in the rba buildable to give good wicking

happy vaping
Maybe wicking was better with the smaller build or the temperature achieved was more suitable for your taste. I would NOT recommend my "lot-of-wraps" style of building for anything less than 35 or 40 watts. That much wire needs quite a bit of power to heat up. You would be underwhelmed at 20 watts.

MikeSully

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So if i do like 9-10 wraps for 1ohm ish with 26g or do 1ohm with a 30g less wraps they would both use the same battery power?

happy vaping
If your power setting (watts) is the same, yes.

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Maybe wicking was better with the smaller build or the temperature achieved was more suitable for your taste. I would NOT recommend my "lot-of-wraps" style of building for anything less than 35 or 40 watts. That much wire needs quite a bit of power to heat up. You would be underwhelmed at 20 watts.
You have lost me there sorry
So 8 wraps with 26g is to much for my istick you are saying?
What would you suggest to aim for?
Maybe go back to thinner wire with 6 wraps or 26g with 6 wraps? Im using 2mm but of this

happy vaping

MikeSully

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You have lost me there sorry
So 8 wraps with 26g is to much for my istick you are saying?
What would you suggest to aim for?
Maybe go back to thinner wire with 6 wraps or 26g with 6 wraps? Im using 2mm but of this

happy vaping
8 is not alot. I do 14-20 usually. I do two strands of wire for each coil, wrapped parallel around the same rod. Do this twice and you have a dual parallel coil. 8 wraps of each wire is 16 total wraps. Thats the lots-of-wraps stuff I am talking about.

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
8 is not alot. I do 14-20 usually. I do two strands of wire for each coil, wrapped parallel around the same rod. Do this twice and you have a dual parallel coil. 8 wraps of each wire is 16 total wraps. Thats the lots-of-wraps stuff I am talking about.
Oh ok thnx so if i do 8 wraps that should work better but i may have to up the wattage abit? Unless i use thinner wire for the same wraps so i can keep lower wattage is that correct?
Do you have any better suggestions on my setup?

happy vaping

MikeSully

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Oh ok thnx so if i do 8 wraps that should work better but i may have to up the wattage abit? Unless i use thinner wire for the same wraps so i can keep lower wattage is that correct?
Do you have any better suggestions on my setup?

happy vaping
You got it. I think either of those setups ought to work. Theres a lot of love on youtube for the Subtank, check out some build videos for other ideas. I dont own one so I don't want to steer you wrong. I can talk theory all day, but in real life, the specifics for every tank is going to be different and even more so for each user. Good luck dude!

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You got it. I think either of those setups ought to work. Theres a lot of love on youtube for the Subtank, check out some build videos for other ideas. I dont own one so I don't want to steer you wrong. I can talk theory all day, but in real life, the specifics for every tank is going to be different and even more so for each user. Good luck dude!
Thnx for ur help il keep at it

happy vaping

VU Sponsors