Become a Patron!

Looking to Try a Tube Build

Todd W

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Alrighty I think I found the right forum for my questions. Ok I'm a new vaper and really dont like the box setup I have as far as what I really want for a unit. I really want a nice tube mod that I can build and customize how I want. So looking at building my own but dont have the slightest clue where to start. I'm pretty handy with a soldering gun and wiring but havent encountered this skind of stuff. So any guidance as where to look for parts what I would need and that kind of stuff is greatly appreciated. I know I want it to be sub ohm capable and a good amount of wattage I know is needed. Id like adjustability as far as voltage. That about all I know for starters so guide me oh master vapers. I am a student willing to learn.
Thanks in advance,
Todd W

Avanthus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Tube mods are generally mechanical, though I've been kicking around the idea of a vv tube mod! Just waiting for my machining class to start.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Alrighty I think I found the right forum for my questions. Ok I'm a new vaper and really dont like the box setup I have as far as what I really want for a unit. I really want a nice tube mod that I can build and customize how I want. So looking at building my own but dont have the slightest clue where to start. I'm pretty handy with a soldering gun and wiring but havent encountered this skind of stuff. So any guidance as where to look for parts what I would need and that kind of stuff is greatly appreciated. I know I want it to be sub ohm capable and a good amount of wattage I know is needed. Id like adjustability as far as voltage. That about all I know for starters so guide me oh master vapers. I am a student willing to learn.
Thanks in advance,
Todd W
What you will end up with is essntially something you can already buy...its a simple tube with a pcb mounted inside ..some buttons and a 510 connector...jist maybe more difficult to mount the pcb and have room for a battery as well.

Do you have access to a machine shop?...are you gonna make a tube yourself then a threaded battery cap and a top to fit a 510?

If not look at sigelei for a tube mod or a Vamo or if you got the buck ,a Provari....Best of luck to you

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm not aware of any chips that will handle high power, run on a single battery (I assume you don't want it to be a foot long) and are small enough to not make the end product ridiculously huge in length or width. The available chips and input voltage requirements along with the desire to have big power are the first big problems I think. If you're serious about building a mod, I would start with a box. If it works out, then use the knowledge and experience gained to decide if you want to attempt something ground breaking like a variable power, high power, custom built tube mod.

Todd W

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok no I'm not looking to machine anything though that would be cool but don't have access to any machines. Didn't know it would be an issue to make it vv. Think I'll look at premade parts and build from there. So I guess my question would now be recommended part stores? Also what parts will I need and I know very little about all these battery #'s and such.
Thanks
Todd

Avanthus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah it probably won't happen, but it's a need idea! Basically I would use the firing switch face as the potentiometer face, set the switch off to the side to give you space, and fit a chip inside there. In theory it would work, but yeah in practice it would be overly long. And with the issue of trying to find a proper battery, it's really just fun to think of!

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Worry about getting together a parts list first before trying to actually source the parts. I would probably recommend attempting a GE NAOS RAPTOR 120 watt dc-dc convertor chip build. Googling that chip should get you pointed in the right direction unless someone has a link to a specific discussion somewhere that would be more helpful than sifting through the web.

Todd W

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cool I'll try that first. Don't really know all the parts involved in building something hope that does get me started.

Xhalin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I knew somebody that built a pipe bomb once....

Pablo73

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just don't see it coming together or it would be a huge double handed device. I agree it's awesome to think about it but reality is setting in. If ya do get it built take pictures BEFORE you fire it.

VU Sponsors