Become a Patron!

Looking for more.....

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey all. New to the board here. Been vaping about 4-5 months. Currently vaping using a Kanger Subox mini at 23 watts using the .5 coils with ANML juice. Just seems after using this setup for about a month, that the lung hit isn't "hard" enough or warm enough for my liking and it seems I have become "used" to the flavor of the ANML juice, seems I can barely taste it anymore. I've tried switching up flavors/brands, but doesn't seem to help. First few hits gets good flavor, but after that I can't really taste much, with new or used coils. So basically I am looking for more flavor, more cloud, and more of a lung hit at this point. Any suggestions as far as "upgrading" my device or even juice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hi Texan and welcome!

Vaping more than just one flavor does help with that. Also staying hydrated... water. Others will be around to point you to better, or more powerful equipment, I'm sure.

You might check out the ejuice discussions area for some suggestions of good juice. I got into DIY juice, so I'm not too much help in what's new and good.

Lot of help, ain't I? Just wanted to welcome you. :)

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just seems after using this setup for about a month, that the lung hit isn't "hard" enough or warm enough for my liking
Welcome to the asylum, texan...

@Huckleberried comments on flavor variety preventing "vaping boredom", as well as adequate hydration, should be well considered. Personally, I hate drinking water... but I try to knock back 2-3 large glasses in the course of my day.

I'm not intimately familiar with your Kanger set-up... but as the device is capable of 40-50 watts, and unless the 0.5Ω coil(s) are made of abnormally thin wire for 0.5Ω, I don't understand why you're not at least using the Ohm's law 0.5Ω @ 4.2V unregulated output of 35 watts. This would certainly increase the "warmth" of your draw, and may improve the "lung hit" and flavor of your current juice.

In fact, there are many juices that change prominent flavor notes as the coil radiant heat increases... and you may be "missing out" on something that already exists and is readily available with a simple wattage increase.
Your only real limits to higher wattage will be adequate wicking and air flow for the added heat... no way to know, but to try it.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
First time I've seen it put that way. I like that.
I was going to say vaping malaise or melancholy... but those words don't see much use these days.
unknown.gif

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you're using the vertical coil .5 occ, you're almost certainly not running them hard enough. Crank the power and see.

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi Texan and welcome!

Vaping more than just one flavor does help with that. Also staying hydrated... water. Others will be around to point you to better, or more powerful equipment, I'm sure.

You might check out the ejuice discussions area for some suggestions of good juice. I got into DIY juice, so I'm not too much help in what's new and good.

Lot of help, ain't I? Just wanted to welcome you. :)

Thank you, I appreciate the help. I try to switch flavors at least every 2 days, and as I have been on a diet for a little over 2 months, I am currently drinking 8-10 20 ounce bottles of water a day.

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome to the asylum, texan...

@Huckleberried comments on flavor variety preventing "vaping boredom", as well as adequate hydration, should be well considered. Personally, I hate drinking water... but I try to knock back 2-3 large glasses in the course of my day.

I'm not intimately familiar with your Kanger set-up... but as the device is capable of 40-50 watts, and unless the 0.5Ω coil(s) are made of abnormally thin wire for 0.5Ω, I don't understand why you're not at least using the Ohm's law 0.5Ω @ 4.2V unregulated output of 35 watts. This would certainly increase the "warmth" of your draw, and may improve the "lung hit" and flavor of your current juice.

In fact, there are many juices that change prominent flavor notes as the coil radiant heat increases... and you may be "missing out" on something that already exists and is readily available with a simple wattage increase.
Your only real limits to higher wattage will be adequate wicking and air flow for the added heat... no way to know, but to try it.

I am using the vertical .5 coil. On the coil itself it says "15w-30w". And the owner of the store I bought it at suggested not taking it higher than 22-23w.

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you're using the vertical coil .5 occ, you're almost certainly not running them hard enough. Crank the power and see.

On the coil it says "15w-30w". And the guy who owns the store I bought it from recommended not taking it past 22-23w.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
On the coil it says "15w-30w". And the guy who owns the store I bought it from recommended not taking it past 22-23w.
Really? Kanger must be using relatively thin wire to accommodate the lower required output. Thin wire has lower mass and requires less wattage for a given radiant heat value.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The range on the .5 verticals is 15-60 watts. If yours says 30 watt max, it's a horizontal occ or it's not a .5 coil head. You should try a vertical .5ohm. They perform much better.

Edit- I just went and checked. 15-30w is the range printed on both resistances of the old style kanger occ's.Try the new ones.

Last edited:

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The range on the .5 verticals is 15-60 watts. If yours says 30 watt max, it's a horizontal occ or it's not a .5 coil head. You should try a vertical .5ohm. They perform much better.

Edit- I just went and checked. 15-30w is the range printed on both resistances of the old style kanger occ's.Try the new ones.

First off, I want to say thank you to everyone who responded. I really appreciate it. I have lurked here for awhile and love reading everyone's opinions and thoughts on everything vaping. I've been told and have learned first hand, that with vaping, it seems there is always something bigger and better coming along quite frequently as far as equipment goes. So went to my local smoke shop earlier. They don't carry these coils at all. Went to the shop in the next town over, and boom, the guy had 10 boxes so I picked a box up. The guy working there told me they only carry the ones rated 15w-60w, that he'd never seen a coil like I had with 15w-30w on it. The coils I was using had the cotton/coil going from left to right. The coil I just bought looks like the coil/cotton runs up and down. So I've got it loaded up right now soaking in some 3mg nic ANML Looper on the charger. I am working on trying to post pics of the coils side by side.

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
BTW, when I first loaded the new coil, I pressed the display button and it showed 1.0 ohm. I waited a minute, hit the display again, it showed .7 ohm. I still have not fired it as of yet.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The coils the first shop sold you, are likely old style coils. Even the newer horizontal coils are rated high, I believe.

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You can speed up the coil wicking time by drawing on the device (while NOT hitting the fire button) a half dozen times.

I did that also thank you. Also I am starting it at 15w and working my way up.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Make sure all your connections are good. Your ohm reading shouldn't jump around or be too high. That's a sign of a bad connection somewhere.

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yep. You had old horizontals and now you have the new verticals.

Yea it's so crazy. I thought I had at least a basic idea of what I was doing. But now I am learning, different people at different shops tell me different things. The last box of coils I bought at the other shop, the lady asked me, "Do you want the vertical coils?". I told her yes. Apparently she gave me to old horizontals like you said.

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Make sure all your connections are good. Your ohm reading shouldn't jump around or be too high. That's a sign of a bad connection somewhere.

One last question, (hopefully), is it "ok" to "chain vape" with this coil at 30-40w? And how long should this coil last? I've read anywhere from 1-2 weeks. Thanks again for helping out this noob.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
BTW, when I first loaded the new coil, I pressed the display button and it showed 1.0 ohm. I waited a minute, hit the display again, it showed .7 ohm. I still have not fired it as of yet.
Unless you have a conductivity issue, it should settle in to +/- 0.1Ω of the stated value, once you wet cycle it a few times. If the resistance increases over time, check that the head is snug in the base.
One last question, (hopefully), is it "ok" to "chain vape" with this coil at 30-40w? And how long should this coil last? I've read anywhere from 1-2 weeks. Thanks again for helping out this noob.
Far too many variables to say one way or the other. Chain vaping, and coil longevity... much like juice, are highly subjective values.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Cool. Because of the way those coil heads secure the coil leads, initial ohm reading changes can happen. If it stabilized within .1 of what it's supposed to be, it's probably good now.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yes, it's ok. If the device gets hot from chain vaping, it should display hot on the screen and not let you use it for a few minutes until it cools down.

The coil itself should not go bad, your wicking will. Hence the need to change a coil. That is determined from the juice you use. Some kill coils (or the wicking) faster than others.

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unless you have a conductivity issue, it should settle in to +/- 0.1Ω of the stated value, once you wet cycle it a few times. If the resistance increases over time, check that the head is snug in the base.

Far too many variables to say one way or the other. Chain vaping, and coil longevity... much like juice, are highly subjective values.

Thanks. To me the flavor is much stronger and smoother with the new coil vs. the old coil.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You can try chain vaping it. If the wicking can't keep up you'll know and like was mentioned, if the mod gets too hot it should shut itself down.

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You can try chain vaping it. If the wicking can't keep up you'll know and like was mentioned, if the mod gets too hot it should shut itself down.

For now I am working my way up I guess you'd say. I'm at 25w, been taking long slow pulls every couple of minutes. The flavor and clouds to me are so much better with the new coil vs. the old, night and day.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks. To me the flavor is much stronger and smoother with the new coil vs. the old coil.
Good stuff. I suggest you keep turning up the power until it's obvious you've gone too far so you're familiar with the performance throughout the usable range. Then dial it in to where you liked it best.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Fresh wick and a wattage that brings the most out of a juice... is a wonderful thing. ;)

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Fresh wick and a wattage that brings the most out of a juice... is a wonderful thing. ;)

I am hooked on this ANML Looper juice!!! My gosh, I am getting such a smooth, warm, flavorful pull with this new coil. I am loving it!!! :):)

cavtruper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use the Subohm Mini with .5 coil on my Sig 75W and over 20W seems to taste burnt. It does the job when I am out and about but it will never compare to dripping as far as flavor, temp and clouds.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've heard some people say their occ wicking was pretty dense. Apparently, poking at the cotton through the juice holes with a needle can help them to wick much better if they're struggling to keep up. But yeah, a well built and powered rda is the best direct lung hit vape I've ever had. Hard to beat.

texan279

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use the Subohm Mini with .5 coil on my Sig 75W and over 20W seems to taste burnt. It does the job when I am out and about but it will never compare to dripping as far as flavor, temp and clouds.

I am at 35w right now and am not getting a burnt taste at all, just a really warm pull. Not quite sure I'm ready to attempt dripping just yet. ;)

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am at 35w right now and am not getting a burnt taste at all, just a really warm pull. Not quite sure I'm ready to attempt dripping just yet. ;)
When you think you might be ready to advance into a deeper level of education and knowledge... click on all the sigline hyperlinks below. Get comfortable... and start reading.

VU Sponsors