VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
people have reported problems with the display getting all scrambled up.. I believe its a chip issue.. buyer beware..

I dont own one myself but I was looking at getting one but I'm holding off now..

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have heard this as well I am doing the same at first I was against the idea of the 40w chip but now that I have researched more I will probably just build one in time I think I will let them work out the kinks

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The initial batch of chips did have some hardware and firmware problems. Brandon from Evolv said they believe those have been corrected and that the new chips also support Celsius as well as Fahrenheit settings. I'd check with Vaporshark, but I suspect they are also using the latest chipset/firmware now.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
anyone else have one ? do you like it ?
I'm pretty curious about it too. I have enough box mods right now though. All the VaporShark devices I've handled were of the utmost quality. I would feel confident in that purchase, granted, you get one with an updated/fixed chip. Sucks you missed the 20% Cyber Monday deal!!!

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The initial batch of chips did have some hardware and firmware problems. Brandon from Evolv said they believe those have been corrected and that the new chips also support Celsius as well as Fahrenheit settings. I'd check with Vaporshark, but I suspect they are also using the latest chipset/firmware now.

@dre1982 should probably throw his 2 cents in.. i believe I read that he sent his back, got a new one, and it still had issues even after they told him these were the new chips (but i could have read it wrong)

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yup they sent me a chip two weeks ago and said it was a good one but it wasn't I sent it back for the 3rd time last Friday. Third times a charm I hope.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@dre1982 should probably throw his 2 cents in.. i believe I read that he sent his back, got a new one, and it still had issues even after they told him these were the new chips (but i could have read it wrong)

Per a recent interview with Brandon that I saw... The first chips... had both hardware and firmware issues.... they thought they were fixed after correcting those, then they found another firmware issue ( fix #2 )... I think he said they are now on the 3rd fix and again they believe that corrects the issues. Of the first errors, they estimated that only about 5% ( which is a lot actually ) had the problem. On each subsequent fix that percentage drops.

While Vaporshark will certainly stand behind their products... so does Evolv and if the user wishes, they can also send them in to Evolv after getting a RMA number ( or whatever they use for return tracking ).

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Awesome thanks for all the input guys

jensy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So far so good on mine. I have only been using it for a couple of days but my screen is fine so far. I have not tried the temp control yet though. It is a solid little box.

Edited to say that the screen being on the bottom irks me. It's minor but I don't like it.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So far so good on mine. I have only been using it for a couple of days but my screen is fine so far. I have not tried the temp control yet though. It is a solid little box.

Edited to say that the screen being on the bottom irks me. It's minor but I don't like it.

i think everyone was saying it ONLY happened with the temp control - so give that a shot and report back :) hope it doesn't give you issues!

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Per a recent interview with Brandon that I saw... The first chips... had both hardware and firmware issues.... they thought they were fixed after correcting those, then they found another firmware issue ( fix #2 )... I think he said they are now on the 3rd fix and again they believe that corrects the issues. Of the first errors, they estimated that only about 5% ( which is a lot actually ) had the problem. On each subsequent fix that percentage drops.

While Vaporshark will certainly stand behind their products... so does Evolv and if the user wishes, they can also send them in to Evolv after getting a RMA number ( or whatever they use for return tracking ).
Evolv really rushed the DNA40 out the door....

Bow2King

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i myself am waiting for one in some #vapemail fingers crossed no problems with it!!

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
@wllmc I think it would make a great Christmas present for Mrs. Mc :)
haha she said thats a great idea and I can borrow it when she is not using it .

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
if it ever gets here lol! ordered it on cyber monday and there is a 15 day processing i guess because of the holidays and everything
ouch I should have had this idea a long time ago

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
if it ever gets here lol! ordered it on cyber monday and there is a 15 day processing i guess because of the holidays and everything
They probably want to make sure you get a good one, given all the issues so far. Worth the wait!

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
ouch I should have had this idea a long time ago
Oops. I start Christmas shopping tomorrow. No good deals, or guaranteed deliveries for me either! Why do I always do this? LOL

I also ordered one on cyber Monday. The website said 15 days when I ordered it, but when I went back to check, the site said 30 days. I e-mailed customer service and got this reply:

As you may know, a small percentage of the Evolv boards that drive our device have had a quality control issue in regards to the screen readout becoming grainy or scrambled. While this issue has been addressed and resolved with Evolv, we are having our Quality Control Team hand-check each device prior to sending it out to you in efforts to thwart any shipment that may have had a faulty board. Due to this issue, we are also not getting the quantity of DNA 40 chips that we require on a weekly basis to keep up with the demand. Evolv is doing everything they can do on their end to get us back up to speed and meet our demands. Due to these unforeseen issues, our usual speed of fulfillment and delivery has been compromised and we are doing everything in our power to get as many devices out as quickly as possible. We sincerely apologize for not being able to deliver the product you ordered on time. Please be patient with us as we are doing our best and will ship your device as soon as possible.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Im on my third board I hope Evolv has this mess shorted out I'm tired of rebuilding my mods

2ndInCommand

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wllmc I have the rdna.30, the rdna 40 and the sxmini as fairly recent purchases. IMHO the rdna 40 is the biggest PITA of the bunch. The temp control is giving people issues, and many are having tough times with the builds also, as you well know. For the price, you just can't go wrong with the rdna 30 it's super easy to use and adjust on the fly, the size is unbeatable, and for me has been super dependable, until I threw it in the washer that is. But they fixed it for 25 bucks. If you go that route, you can get a dna 30 for what is probably one of the best values VS quality prices out there for the Missus.I often run a dual coil lemo on mine at .6 ohms, 24 watts and it's totally killer.I would like to add though, even though you didn't ask, that for me, personally, the sx mini has it over the shark for a host of reasons, but it is my house mod. when I go out or to work, I ALWAYS grab a shark over any provari, mechanical or any of my other boxes, even over my dani extreme. It's a kick.ass mod but I would recommend the 30 over the 40. It's only 10 watts and who needs the potential fucking hassles.

Bow2King

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I also ordered one on cyber Monday. The website said 15 days when I ordered it, but when I went back to check, the site said 30 days. I e-mailed customer service and got this reply:

As you may know, a small percentage of the Evolv boards that drive our device have had a quality control issue in regards to the screen readout becoming grainy or scrambled. While this issue has been addressed and resolved with Evolv, we are having our Quality Control Team hand-check each device prior to sending it out to you in efforts to thwart any shipment that may have had a faulty board. Due to this issue, we are also not getting the quantity of DNA 40 chips that we require on a weekly basis to keep up with the demand. Evolv is doing everything they can do on their end to get us back up to speed and meet our demands. Due to these unforeseen issues, our usual speed of fulfillment and delivery has been compromised and we are doing everything in our power to get as many devices out as quickly as possible. We sincerely apologize for not being able to deliver the product you ordered on time. Please be patient with us as we are doing our best and will ship your device as soon as possible.

i also just got the email today, they did however give me a code for a free 30ml bottle of e juice from their site, to say sorry for the delay. but to be honest id rather wait and be satisfied!!

bcollier

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@wllmc I was throwing the rdna around for awhile but after reading so many negative reviews I finally settled on the Segelei 100W plus version and man I got to tell ya, this thing is amazing! I put a brand new set of efest 35 amp batteries in at 10:00 night before last (Thurs night) and now Saturday morning still have 54% battery life. Thats been dripping at .8 @ 30and 40 watts and my Lemo 1.2ohm at 25 watts.

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They said the release date was this Dec, and I havent heard any more about this chip yet.

anyone else have one ? do you like it ?
I read and watched a lot of review about it before I purchase it, knowing it has a issue with the dna 40 chip but I just love the features and design of it also want to give a temp control a try so I finally purchased it last week the rdna 40 with larger screen and hope nothing will happen to mine, I always check the screen while using it and in day 3 true enough....bug screen! So I decided to send it back and hope everything goes smooth for the replacement. Good luck to me.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like mine very much - the Vaporshark hardware proper, not the DNA40 problem obviously.

However, one thing concerns me a little: when I put it on the wireless charging pad for an extended period of time, the device gets steaming hot. I know Vaporshark says it's normal, but... it really gets very hot.

I don't think I'll charge it often with the wireless charger. Not because I'm worried about damaging the device, but because it's not very economical (or ecological): all that heat radiated away by the casing is wasted electricity. At least to do a full charge, I reckon it's not worth the added convenience of not having to connect a USB plug. I think I'll use it only to vape and charge at the same time - as a sort of wireless passthrough.

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like mine very much - the Vaporshark hardware proper, not the DNA40 problem obviously.

However, one thing concerns me a little: when I put it on the wireless charging pad for an extended period of time, the device gets steaming hot. I know Vaporshark says it's normal, but... it really gets very hot.

I don't think I'll charge it often with the wireless charger. Not because I'm worried about damaging the device, but because it's not very economical (or ecological): all that heat radiated away by the casing is wasted electricity. At least to do a full charge, I reckon it's not worth the added convenience of not having to connect a USB plug. I think I'll use it only to vape and charge at the same time - as a sort of wireless passthrough.
I am feeling a bit worried, I have one of these VS rDNA 40's coming and I hope I did not just get sucked into a lemon. I just like the rDNA 30 quite a bit and have been wanting a temp chip. Fingers crossed.

One thing I want to know is how come I have not heard about Hana dna 40 chip issues? I have heard a lot about the sharks and the flasks but not so much with other manufacturers.

The wireless charging discs get them hot hot hot. I have only used it twice and do not recommend using them because on the VS shark one of the side effects is screen clouding from excessive heat.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've fried a couple phones using charging pads, they were replaced under warranty, but anytime an electronic device gets that hot, it can actually melt some smaller solder points on the boards. I borrowed a buddies VS40 with the new big screen and it had the glitchy screen problems. I charged it once on my qi plate and the mod got too hot to handle. I think VS pooched the implementation of the qi charger by making it a flash charge rather than a lower Mah steady charge.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think the real problem with the wireless charger is that the mod's casing is made of metal: most of the power ends up as Foucault currents, heating the casing for nothing. Not exacty efficient, especially for a skinflint such as me who actually bothers to disconnect wall warts when they're not in use to save electricity :)

VU Sponsors