Become a Patron!

Li-Po batteries

Vapeness88

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What's going on guys,

So I have 2 boards ( Evic VT and SMOK M60 ) and the Li-Po battery from the Evic laying around and I was wondering if anyone thinks there would be a issue combining the Evic Li-Po and the SMOK M60 board together to make a mod,is there any concerns or problems trying to piece the two together ?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
What's going on guys,

So I have 2 boards ( Evic VT and SMOK M60 ) and the Li-Po battery from the Evic laying around and I was wondering if anyone thinks there would be a issue combining the Evic Li-Po and the SMOK M60 board together to make a mod,is there any concerns or problems trying to piece the two together ?
You cant assemble them to use each other or feed of from one another, you would have to reprogram the firmware to do that and I really dont think they are compatible either way. You could build a mod that contains both and you could use either or both at once, but everything would be separated except the fire button....

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You could build a mod that contains both and you could use either or both at once, but everything would be separated except the fire button....

Would you be able to clarify that? Just curious.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Think of a Box with 2 Mods in it. One side has one mods components and the other side has the other mods components....like a side by side Fridge freezer..

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Didn't know that was a thing. Makes sense though... from a conceptual standpoint.

It was right around the time I joined here... I was wondering how long it would take to find someone talking about a mod with two attys on it. Sounds like that time is now.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Didn't know that was a thing. Makes sense though... from a conceptual standpoint.

It was right around the time I joined here... I was wondering how long it would take to find someone talking about a mod with two attys on it. Sounds like that time is now.
To tell you the truth if I had 2 mods lying around I wanted to mod I would make one of them a Homemade Tab Master/Coil Building Box...
2 RDAs together has been a thing for a while, Hellsgate mod and others...

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hellsgate mod

Well that's entertaining. Didn't expect a single mouthpiece for both them. "A cloud chaser's dream." Wonder if they ban those in some cloud comps.

Let this stand as proof that someone can be skulking around on VU for dozens upon dozens of hours and still randomly miss some of the coolness.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Well that's entertaining. Didn't expect a single mouthpiece for both them. "A cloud chaser's dream." Wonder if they ban those in some cloud comps.

Let this stand as proof that someone can be skulking around on VU for dozens upon dozens of hours and still randomly miss some of the coolness.
You should check out the 46mm Fat Boy Alliance RDA and theres a Mod with 2 of them in the same fashion...

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
46mm Fat Boy Alliance RDA

Hmmm. Thought it was fake at first, but saw it on Alibaba.

Well, I just got a router and about 40 bits. Have the wood. (And a few dead mods/cases.) The big-boy soldering iron. The FT account for parts. Technically, nothing's stopping me from buying a board or two and building my own... except the lack of motivation to jump into that. But suddenly... FAT BOY.

Vapeness88

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think I absolutely butchered what I was trying to say,which I did. I meant taking the SMOK board and wiring the Li-Po from the Evic to it,not using both boards,I don't know why I even said 2 boards lol. So sorry for the confusion on that. I'm just going to get a Mammoth enclosure,slim 510,and some type of buttons to use and rehouse the board and battery. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to blow my shit up hahaha.

Last edited:

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yeah, but now you got us all excited. You have to do a double-board box now.

Seriously though, post back here when you get something done. Would love to see it.

Vapeness88

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As badass and unique it would be,trying this with 2 different boards would kind of be retarded lol. If the Yihi SX350 or DNA200's weren't so damn exspensive,it would be pretty cool to try. Maybe 2x DNA 30's and 2 18650's would be more doable.

But in other news:

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To tell you the truth if I had 2 mods lying around I wanted to mod I would make one of them a Homemade Tab Master/Coil Building Box...
2 RDAs together has been a thing for a while, Hellsgate mod and others...

So how's your tab coming, the torn apart R80? You actually started it yet, or you decide against it?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So how's your tab coming, the torn apart R80? You actually started it yet, or you decide against it?
I till need a 510 and the appropriate box, which Im having a hard time deciding on...
I was going to go with a Hammond Transparent Box (Red or Blue) but Im not sure... Im going to get FDV V4 510s though and maybe a Traxxas 2s 12000mah 30C Lipo, for long life....

I am going to position one 510 in the usually spot in the middle/top and one toward the center on the side with some type of cover, was think of a magnetic hinged door that can fold to the back when in use with rubber feet hidden...we'll see.
R80 Internals.jpg

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds pretty bitchin so far :cool: I wouldn't mind a pocket sized tab either, would be incredibly handy! Keep me in the loop, I really wanna know how it turns out!

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Sounds pretty bitchin so far :cool: I wouldn't mind a pocket sized tab either, would be incredibly handy! Keep me in the loop, I really wanna know how it turns out!
I dont travel much besides going to the store (local jiffymart) where my friends that vape work and show off my shit and share my DIY juices so its not a big deal to me for a pocket tab, maybe if I had a lounge or something I would be more interested in doing so but Im home more then anything so a bigger device if fine...shit when I started getting into mech and stuff I thought they were much bigger then they actually were so its all pocket size to me lol When I go out I usually handle my devices, I usually take out both snow wolf setups when I go to the stores...

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm the opposite, I do most of my building when I'm out and about, either at vape shops, or at friends places building them coils. I would use one literally every other day at least. Luckily I have a few Regulated mods to semi-verify my resistances, make sure they roughly match SteamEngine. I need to get a Tab, pocket or not, at some point in the near future, I'm tired of swapping an RDA onto three separate mods to triple check lol

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'm the opposite, I do most of my building when I'm out and about, either at vape shops, or at friends places building them coils. I would use one literally every other day at least. Luckily I have a few Regulated mods to semi-verify my resistances, make sure they roughly match SteamEngine. I need to get a Tab, pocket or not, at some point in the near future, I'm tired of swapping an RDA onto three separate mods to triple check lol
Its pretty easy to build one, just need a decent chip, battery sled or lipo, a 510 and a box.
Then comes drilling for button and 510, installing buttons and mounting chip/sled/510, then sanding to make everything look better, then soldering connections, then gluing if using a sled...then your done.
If you have the pieces then its like throwing any other electronic device together, even easier if you have owned decent R/Cs.

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I could do it, have a bit of R/C experience actually, mainly nitro cars, but I'm lacking the parts, and am far too lazy at this point in time to try and source and get everything. This will be a future project for me, I'll probably end up getting a CM tab anyways in the mean time, have that as a leave at home, then work on getting a nice portable one for my Vape bag (which is getting more and more cramped as the days pass lol) and I kinda wanna 3D print a shell for it if I can, just gotta make some time and book a slot at the University (you can rent the 3D printer workshops there)

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah, I could do it, have a bit of R/C experience actually, mainly nitro cars, but I'm lacking the parts, and am far too lazy at this point in time to try and source and get everything. This will be a future project for me, I'll probably end up getting a CM tab anyways in the mean time, have that as a leave at home, then work on getting a nice portable one for my Vape bag (which is getting more and more cramped as the days pass lol) and I kinda wanna 3D print a shell for it if I can, just gotta make some time and book a slot at the University (you can rent the 3D printer workshops there)
https://www.diyboxmodsupply.com/ is the only place you would need to visit and its not expensive...
I want to buy that Geekvape 521...it looks shiny :D

Vapeness88

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyone got any good places for buttons I could use for this chip that won't fall out ? I was thinking I may have to super glue or hot glue or something ? I'm really starting to think making a hole for the micro usb is going to be a royal pain in the brown eye..

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
https://www.diyboxmodsupply.com/ is the only place you would need to visit and its not expensive...
I want to buy that Geekvape 521...it looks shiny

You have links for everything, don't you? hahaha thanks though, that'll come in handy later for sure.

You and your shiny things, of course you've been eyeing that one haha, although I can't lie, it would look pretty dope in your coil build pics

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Anyone got any good places for buttons I could use for this chip that won't fall out ? I was thinking I may have to super glue or hot glue or something ? I'm really starting to think making a hole for the micro usb is going to be a royal pain in the brown eye..
Click the link above...get a Mitec button...its one of the best feeling buttons there is...

Vapeness88

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You would need a spring and make a cup for them to sit in for them to work well as a rocker/piston on the actual button.
That's what I was also thinking. I was hoping and thinking of mocking it up first and possibly using a dremel and making a notch the length of the board with a few dabs of hot glue so the board doesn't move and the button rest snug against the inside of the box. Although it may be more complicated and frustrating than I'm thinking it would be.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Be very careful when handling a lipo battery pack. I had to disassemble phones computers ect at work and battery packs had to be handled very carefully!!! We even had to wrap cardboard around them and mark danger on them because they would catch fire if bumped just right.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Be very careful when handling a lipo battery pack. I had to disassemble phones computers ect at work and battery packs had to be handled very carefully!!! We even had to wrap cardboard around them and mark danger on them because they would catch fire if bumped just right.
Most lipos are safe to handle, most are layered with a thick and mold-able polymer (silver) wrap. I used to disassemble my RC lipos when a cell would die or fail and make my own packs with what worked. If punctured they will vent/catch fire but they wont just pop when handling them...They can take a beating in the R/C, phones, laptops and ect, just dont puncture, tear or bend them up or expect dangerous results.

Vapeness88

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

That was my concern as well,but after getting the Li-Po out of the mod housing,they are seriously wrapped and look to even be sealed with some dark gray glue like shit then foam and then a battery wrap.

And after seeing the way everything was wired,I'm not really concerned with my initial plan.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
That was my concern as well,but after getting the Li-Po out of the mod housing,they are seriously wrapped and look to even be sealed with some dark gray glue like shit then foam and then a battery wrap.

And after seeing the way everything was wired,I'm not really concerned with my initial plan.
The ones in cylindrical form are pretty durable they have multiple layers of wraps and sometimes foam to keep them in that shape and keep them safe, the ones in flat soft packs are much less durable...They only have a 2mm +/- wrap on the soft packs which can easily be torn or creased

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Most lipos are safe to handle, most are layered with a thick and mold-able polymer (silver) wrap. I used to disassemble my RC lipos when a cell would die or fail and make my own packs with what worked. If punctured they will vent/catch fire but they wont just pop when handling them...They can take a beating in the R/C, phones, laptops and ect, just dont puncture, tear or bend them up or expect dangerous results.
I was the only one authorized to handle them at work the problem with them were they were sealed in the units to prevent removal and was very easy to tear them removing them. I had to work very carefully with them. Had a few go on me but not like the other guys. Most of the time they would bend easy while removing and this is where they would start the fireworks display.

Vapeness88

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My only thing is soldering 18 or 20g wire to the existing leads in the battery and heat shrinking them and getting too much heat near the battery. But I'm using to soldering LEDs on tiny pads hear diodes for my saltwater lights.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I was the only one authorized to handle them at work the problem with them were they were sealed in the units to prevent removal and was very easy to tear them removing them. I had to work very carefully with them. Had a few go on me but not like the other guys. Most of the time they would bend easy while removing and this is where they would start the fireworks display.
The ones you removed were connected by the little flaps for contacts? and tin to keep them together?
These are what I have used and dealt with:
18560.jpg

I know things like this make it a pain to make them single cells, is this something like what you were dealing with?
BatteryFlatPacks.jpg

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
My only thing is soldering 18 or 20g wire to the existing leads in the battery and heat shrinking them and getting too much heat near the battery. But I'm using to soldering LEDs on tiny pads hear diodes for my saltwater lights.
Get your Iron nice and hot and your lead coated in solder first, then heat the Lipo's Tab and the Lead at the same time and they should bond. If you want a easier route then take the lead and roll the Lipo's tab round it so it encase the lead and then solder it, just make sure to have the iron at the hottest temp so it doesnt take long.

Vapeness88

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some connectors or molex clips like that would be awesome for easy swapping or removal.

Vapeness88

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Get your Iron nice and hot and your lead coated in solder first, then heat the Lipo's Tab and the Lead at the same time and they should bond. If you want a easier route then take the lead and roll the Lipo's tab round it so it encase the lead and then solder it, just make sure to have the iron at the hottest temp so it doesnt take long.
I would personally pre-tin the -/+ first on the battery and the board to make things easier on myself and make things fast then heat shrink the connections.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I would personally pre-tin the -/+ first on the battery and the board to make things easier on myself and make things fast then heat shrink the connections.
My tin would always start melting the plastic/wrap around the connector so I stopped doing that, but which ever way works is the way it should be done.

Some connectors or molex clips like that would be awesome for easy swapping or removal.
You could solder a connector to the lipo and then one to the leads then you can remove and replace when needed or for external charging...like the Deans/Traxxas ID connectors.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The ones you removed were connected by the little flaps for contacts? and tin to keep them together?
These are what I have used and dealt with:
18560.jpg

I know things like this make it a pain to make them single cells, is this something like what you were dealing with?
BatteryFlatPacks.jpg
Actually I have done them all including these pictured. We would rebuild, repair or scrap anything with electronics from Nasa to Boeing to NCR you name it. Top secret to home computers everything. (Very entrusting) I have seen and delt with every Battery known to man. The coolest ones were nuclear submarine battery packs never will you ever see a better battery combo totally unbelievable quality.

Vapeness88

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good connecter we had them at work I used them all the time this would be my choice
I've used them numerous times for my connectors on my fans and quick connects on my power supplies and ldd drivers. They make life 100x easier.

They can withstand a lot of current,each led is no less than 3-3.6 volts depending on the maH your driver is and how many leds are used in each string and from the power supply it's I think 24v and 150-300w,so they're durable.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Your going to need much more then 5A rating for what your using the lipo for here...

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Those Molex connectors are limited to:
Current rating - 5A per pair
Wire size - 30ga - 20ga, it will not accept lower than 20ga.

The wire sizes are fine but your going to need something that can handle a excess of 50A (at the very least 30A)

Vapeness88

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If need be,I'll save myself $4-$5 and not use them lol. They would be used for simplicity so they're not needed.

VU Sponsors