Become a Patron!

Learning about Wattage - Beginner HELP

Hi there!

I'm a beginner on Vapes - actually I've start to used it for a few months ago. My first device was an eLeaf, iJust Start. Currently I did an upgrade to Innokin Cool Fire IV Storm Edition and I was using the pre-made coils wich came with, 0.5 ohms to use between 20-35wats.

Now I have a RBA coil (iSub RBA from Innokin) and it's being a bit difficult to me to build it. When I start, the pre-made coils had the advice about wats, but the RBA haven't (of course) and I'm a bit lost about it.

I already had changed the juice and all, but it still tasting like burned (and it is!). I'm changing the wattage, putting new coils, new cottons, but it just still tasting like it's burned - and always!

Could somebody help, pleeeeeeease? I'm begging for help, because I really want to learn it, but it's a bit frustrating. It was soooooo good and nice and was tasting sooooo sweet with the pre-made coils, but I was feeling me like a fool using pre-made coils on the Cool Fire...

This is my set up:
Device: Innokin Cool Fire 4 - Storm Edition
Coil: iSub RBA from Innokin
Wire: Kanthal A1 26ga
Cotton: Cotton Bacon
The wire has 5 wraps: 4 full rounded wrap and 1 half wrap (I think it's right, on 5 total).
Ohms: With 5 wraps, it's worthing between 0.86-0.91 ohms (depending of the wattage).
(Currently I'm using the Lost Fog e-juice - Streek, 0.3 strength - and it's tasting like nothing but burned).

Thank you since now!! xx

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well, you may have several problems.
1 You can't wick cotton super tight. It should be snug, but not packed in there, tight. Too tight will not allow it to wick juice. Too loose is bad too.
2 You didn't say how many watts you are running not with a .9 ohm coil. Somewhere around 20 watts should be where you want to start and adjust up or down from there.
3 You must make sure when you wick, that you are not blocking off the juice inlet holes of the RBA head.
4 Depending on the inlet hole size of the RBA and the size of the coils, you have to be careful of the VG/PG content of the juice you use. Max VG doesn't usually work if you do not have enough surface area to suck it up. In other words, if the inlet holes of the RBA are small, it likely won't run max VG juices well.

Well, you may have several problems.
1 You can't wick cotton super tight. It should be snug, but not packed in there, tight. Too tight will not allow it to wick juice. Too loose is bad too.
2 You didn't say how many watts you are running not with a .9 ohm coil. Somewhere around 20 watts should be where you want to start and adjust up or down from there.
3 You must make sure when you wick, that you are not blocking off the juice inlet holes of the RBA head.
4 Depending on the inlet hole size of the RBA and the size of the coils, you have to be careful of the VG/PG content of the juice you use. Max VG doesn't usually work if you do not have enough surface area to suck it up. In other words, if the inlet holes of the RBA are small, it likely won't run max VG juices well.

I already have changed so much the watts, but never above 20w, always less. Actually 18w is the max that I already put, because on 18w that already taste like burned. I had started on 15w and pulled onto 16, 17 and 18w. Basically, under 17w it doesn't fog or any flavour, but above 18w it taste like burned...

But thank you so much for let me know about the cotton. I'll change it asap and try others ways. x

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
The coil's resistance shouldn't change with different wattage. Besides using the proper amount of cotton, check that the screws are still tighten down.

Hello again! Just to let you know, guys, that I already fix my problem.

The issue was: I wasn't doing the "dry burn". As I'm a beginner and I'm going onto the "vape world" by myself - I don't know anybody who does vape, I'm learning about just reading on forums -, I never had heard about the "dry burn", so I was just building my coil and starting the vape. Now I did the dry burn and it's working very well. The burned taste is gone and the sweet taste is back. :D

Thanks you all!

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Hello again! Just to let you know, guys, that I already fix my problem.

The issue was: I wasn't doing the "dry burn". As I'm a beginner and I'm going onto the "vape world" by myself - I don't know anybody who does vape, I'm learning about just reading on forums -, I never had heard about the "dry burn", so I was just building my coil and starting the vape. Now I did the dry burn and it's working very well. The burned taste is gone and the sweet taste is back. :D

Thanks you all!
Been there, done that. I was in the same boat myself, nobody to talk to, but forum information. I'm glad as well, you got the problem resolved. However, not every wire should be dry burned, e.g. Ni200 wire, and Ti wire. That's why I mainly use SS316L wire, and occasionally good old Kanthal A1.

Been there, done that. I was in the same boat myself, nobody to talk to, but forum information. I'm glad as well, you got the problem resolved. However, not every wire should be dry burned, e.g. Ni200 wire, and Ti wire. That's why I mainly use SS316L wire, and occasionally good old Kanthal A1.

Good to know it, thank you!!

VU Sponsors