Become a Patron!

Leaky TFV4? Problem solved...

kstat83

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The culprit, the small O-Ring found just above the threads on both the single and dual rebuildable sections, as well as all pre-made coils (they're all the same) is junk. It cuts, shreds, and generally fails.

I drove around for three days visiting every hydraulic & seal company in the greater Tampa area to find a quality replacement, to no avail. I called a dozen manufacturers, to no avail. (Needless to say I also tried contacting Smok - no reply, as well as MadVapes, their official "service partner" - and was told they have no such item).

Finally, I was directed to try a commercial company in the Northeast. To my great relief the woman who picked up the phone had a husband who is a vaper. So instead of being generally dismissed as I had been by most the others, she bent over backwards to help me solve the problem. Which she did.

The only rub: this is a commercial supplier that required a rather costly minimum order. She was great and got them to agree to cut it down some. But suffice it to say, I ended up with a LOT of these O-Rings.

Thus, if any other TFV4 users out there are in need of a solution to their own leaky problem, please get a hold of me and we'll get you set up.

I don't know if I can post my email here, so just message me through the forum.

MODS: I wasn't sure where to put this thread. If it's more appropriate elsewhere please move! Thanks!

IMG_1424 2.JPG
IMG_1425 2.JPG

By looking at the images it may seem like a simple thing to find, but it genuinely was not...

Last edited:

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I think this should be a sticky until you've sold all of your o-rings. How many do you have, and what are you charging for them? I don't have a TFV4, but I've been considering getting one and if I do, I'd definitely buy a few from you.

kstat83

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this should be a sticky until you've sold all of your o-rings. How many do you have, and what are you charging for them? I don't have a TFV4, but I've been considering getting one and if I do, I'd definitely buy a few from you.

I ended up with several hundred of the things. Im not looking for much. A few bucks to cover running to the post office, and shipping and I'm happy. I thew some on eBay to try and recoup some of the expense, so hopefully theres some action there so I can be generous with other VU members. Like I mentioned in the post, its not so much that they were expensive singularly, just took me a lot of time and energy to find them, and then that darned minimum order...

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured that's what it was. The threads are rough on these things, could easily cut up that thin o-ring.
Sometimes mine wants to feel tight about a half turn out.

For shipping and PO problems unless you're sending a bunch you should be able to tape them to a piece of paper so they don't bunch up and get away with an envelope and a stamp. I wouldn't think that would give the automated sorters any problem.

cobalt327

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Pls. give the size- there's a reasonably good chance the O-rings will fit other applications.

kstat83

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured that's what it was. The threads are rough on these things, could easily cut up that thin o-ring.
Sometimes mine wants to feel tight about a half turn out.

For shipping and PO problems unless you're sending a bunch you should be able to tape them to a piece of paper so they don't bunch up and get away with an envelope and a stamp. I wouldn't think that would give the automated sorters any problem.

Yes your probably right on that. I'll know after the first comes back if it does if it's a problem. Highly doubt it. Postage would be fine. I'm just the type that wants them yesterday (hence the Dune like saga I went through to get them) so others like me may want the priority.

Never trust anybody who's absolutely sure - 100% conviction indicates a lack of curiosity, but more importantly a lack of empathy or imagination.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kstat83

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... size?

You have to wait till I get back to the house to check what she actually ordered. Because she knew what it was for I allowed her to make a judgement on the exact size to get based on what material she chose and its ability to stretch, compress, and so on. I can tell you that when I measured the original with digital calipers I came up with .9 cross section and 9 inner diameter, and that is what I told her. Thats not necessarily exactly what she sent me. I can check when I get home. But giving her those measurements and telling her what it was for resulted in her sending the correct ones, so feel free to start your search there. I did. Bought a lot of useless O-Rings in the process.

kstat83

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, you're not selling. You just need shipping covered. My bad.

Like I said, if you want a few just contact me and Ill get some out to you.

Also - is anyone else having difficulty with TapaTalk? Mine's not working at all, and will drastically decrease my ability to keep an eye on the thread...

SL1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely can use some

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Any left?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, if you want a few just contact me and Ill get some out to you.

Also - is anyone else having difficulty with TapaTalk? Mine's not working at all, and will drastically decrease my ability to keep an eye on the thread...
I just got a Tapatalk update earlier today..seems to be working great..sorry to hear you're having issues.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

NCHornet

Member For 4 Years
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Payment sent, thanks for the quick response.
Later
NCH

I just had to let y'all know what Kyle did for me. My son is in the USAF and home on leave. He got me into vaping during his last leave and now he has me rebuilding and sporting the new Fuchai 200w. To thank him I bought us each the TFV4, mine rocks, his leaks like a screen door. I saw this thread and contacted him as my son leaves Sat. Within 35 min I had a tracking number and they will be here on friday. The fee was less than I would have charged to drop what I was doing and run to town to mail something to someone that I don't know. For those that just expect him to provide the size of these o rings, why? He spent a good chunk of money because of min orders, why shouldn't he make a couple bucks? Don't like this? Than you go make the investment and you can give them away to everyone with their hand out for a freebie!!! ! Heck, I hope he retires off what he makes, lol!!!! Thanks Kyle for helping me and my son!!!!!
NCH

Last edited:

Kinkytheklown

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By far the best ebay seller I've ever had the pleasure of dealig with. He personally kept in contact to keep me updated on my order. All the rings work great and got them in the mail FAST!

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a epoxy on mine and the only time it leaked was when i opened the top fill the pressure would cause it to release the juice

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here is another leaking problem they have and easy fix/.

Reactions: Myk

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here is another leaking problem they have and easy fix/.
@ 18:00

Hmm, I had one that stretched there and would pop up. It really leaked once it did that so I can believe it. Changing it fixed it. I wonder if cutting it down would fix the old one.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ 18:00

Hmm, I had one that stretched there and would pop up. It really leaked once it did that so I can believe it. Changing it fixed it. I wonder if cutting it down would fix the old one.
Yes and use sharp razor blade and lube it to keep the blade from gripping to get clean cut

Bro2032

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The culprit, the small O-Ring found just above the threads on both the single and dual rebuildable sections, as well as all pre-made coils (they're all the same) is junk. It cuts, shreds, and generally fails.

I drove around for three days visiting every hydraulic & seal company in the greater Tampa area to find a quality replacement, to no avail. I called a dozen manufacturers, to no avail. (Needless to say I also tried contacting Smok - no reply, as well as MadVapes, their official "service partner" - and was told they have no such item).

Finally, I was directed to try a commercial company in the Northeast. To my great relief the woman who picked up the phone had a husband who is a vaper. So instead of being generally dismissed as I had been by most the others, she bent over backwards to help me solve the problem. Which she did.

The only rub: this is a commercial supplier that required a rather costly minimum order. She was great and got them to agree to cut it down some. But suffice it to say, I ended up with a LOT of these O-Rings.

Thus, if any other TFV4 users out there are in need of a solution to their own leaky problem, please get a hold of me and we'll get you set up.

MODS: I wasn't sure where to put this thread. If it's more appropriate elsewhere please move! Thanks!

View attachment 29622
View attachment 29623

By looking at the images it may seem like a simple thing to find, but it genuinely was not...
Pm sent.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also might note that if it is leaking on the top like in the video it can cause it to leak inside of the bottom. Loss of pressure can cause a lot of problems.

cobalt327

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
For those that just expect him to provide the size of these o rings, why? He spent a good chunk of money because of min orders, why shouldn't he make a couple bucks? Don't like this? Than you go make the investment and you can give them away to everyone with their hand out for a freebie!!! ! Heck, I hope he retires off what he makes, lol!!!! Thanks Kyle for helping me and my son!!!!!
NCH
Not sure what you are on about. Since I don't have a TF4 I asked for the size so I could determine which of my attys I might be able to use them on when I bought them- FROM HIM.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What upsets me is when manufacturers don't have rebuild kits, don't care and use obviously inferior parts. Sure, they say, just buy another one. No o ring or specialized drip tip for you. Great job on your find.

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
oring supply has them. the bundo .8 and .9 size works perfect for chimney and coil bases.

Arlongkpr

Member For 4 Years
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could ask maybe one of the folks that have already purchased these o-rings from the op ;)

Yea, I was just hoping to Find out, since the clear one thats comes on these decks isn't that great, it get's pinched easy, I would buy these since i have so many of these decks, and 2-1/2 Tfv4's :)

cobalt327

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
oring supply has them. the bundo .8 and .9 size works perfect for chimney and coil bases.
Not familiar w/that company. Never heard of "bundo" either, maybe you mean "buna/buna-N"? Is ".8 and .9" the metric cross section? Generally, O-ring suppliers use the cross section and ID for selecting the size.

I came up with .9 cross section and 9 inner diameter
Given this, and lacking the actual measurement of what he's selling, a 1mm x 8 or 9mm ID will be close as there are no standard O-rings having a 0.9mm cross section.

Here are a couple suppliers for O-rings. Be aware FT O-rings are sometimes made of silicone. Some are okay, sometimes the quality sucks though. When given a choice, "70" is good for the 'hardness', as in "Buna-N 70".

ETA It's a shame the OP didn't post here before buying a large quantity. I'm positive he could have bought what he needed in a size of no more than 10 pieces, cost would have been around $6.25 delivered to a US address. Oh well.

ETA 2 The coil base takes a 1mm cross section x 9mm ID O-ring. A 1mm CS x 8mm ID O-ring will fit the chimney.

Last edited:

kstat83

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no need to search.

Staff removed>direct ebay seller links are not allowed to be posted by seller

Those are the listings for my TFV4 seals. Read the feedback.

I didn't originally intend on selling them, but it's gone well and I have literally hundreds of messages from people full of "thank yous" and exclamation points. It genuinely makes me feel good that people are not only helped by what I'm providing them, but also express appreciation for the effort I put in.

I get and respond to direct messages through VU Forum daily, but I DO NOT check this or any other post with any regularity.

I do send more to anyone who contacts me personally and pays directly, since there are no eBay fees involved and I like to give people with forum memberships a bit extra since they're presumably more active in the community at large. You can use PayPal or I can send a quick-link that will allow you to use a card.

-----------------------------------------------

(SIDE NOTE: Despite what some apparently think, I am quite capable of conducting a Google search and reading the results. When I originally posted about wasted time and money, all of that is exactly what I was referring to. So please, I hate to see people waste their own time just to spend more to end up with a handful extra useless seals because they confuse the links posted by other members for those that my original post referred to, and that I have available.

As I've told the only two or three people who've busted my chops in all this time, everyone is welcome to spend the time, money, and effort (and juice!) to go through the trial and error I did, OR pay $5.00 and have your problem solved in 2-3 days when you receive EXACTLY what you need from someone who's already done the work. The price is less, and the product is better. Period. It's a simple, fair thing. And as my feedback will attest, they are indeed what you need, and I ALWAYS treat people fairly and with respect.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Yes
Not familiar w/that company. Never heard of "bundo" either, maybe you mean "buna/buna-N"? Is ".8 and .9" the metric cross section? Generally, O-ring suppliers use the cross section and ID for selecting the size.

Given this, and lacking the actual measurement of what he's selling, a 1mm x 7 or 8mm ID will be close as there are no standard O-rings having a 0.9mm cross section.

Here are a couple suppliers for O-rings. Be aware FT O-rings are sometimes made of silicone. Some are okay, sometimes the quality sucks though. When given a choice, "70" is good for the 'hardness', as in "Buna-N 70".

ETA It's a shame the OP didn't post here before buying a large quantity. I'm positive he could have bought what he needed in a size of no more than 10 pieces, cost would have been around $6.25 delivered to a US address. Oh well.
,Yes, sorry buna, was typing in a hurry and didn't have time to reference an earlier post. ordered from oringsupply store. IMG_20160127_110243.jpg IMG_20160127_110248.jpg

Arlongkpr

Member For 4 Years
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Given this, and lacking the actual measurement of what he's selling, a 1mm x 7 or 8mm ID will be close as there are no standard O-rings having a 0.9mm cross section.

Yup, I saw what he posted, and your comments, and ordered a bunch Different sizes and thickness 8-20mm x 1-1.5mm , for different things and what not. mostly the 20 packs were the best deal.. think the entire order was less than 5$ with free shipping for something like 120 o-rings

cobalt327

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
There is no need to search.

Staff removed>direct ebay seller links are not allowed to be posted by seller

_SNIP* I hate to see people waste their own time just to spend more to end up with a handful extra useless seals because they confuse the links posted by other members for those that my original post referred to, and that I have available.

As I've told the only two or three people who've busted my chops in all this time, everyone is welcome to spend the time, money, and effort (and juice!) to go through the trial and error I did*SNIP*

WADR this ain't rocket science, although posting ebay links ain't gonna fly. So there WILL be some searching involved if someone wishes to go to an ebay auction. Time well spent to help the vaping community- considering that there are MANY sizes of O-rings used on the hundreds of attys available. Hint to anyone looking for the ebay auction- go to ebay, search for "TFV4 o ring".
Yup, I saw what he posted, and your comments, and ordered a bunch Different sizes and thickness 8-20mm x 1-1.5mm , for different things and what not. mostly the 20 packs were the best deal.. think the entire order was less than 5$ with free shipping for something like 120 o-rings
Yeah- good prices for sure. You'll have them fairly quickly, IIRC my last order was 3-4 days. I stocked up on O-rings when vapor bank was having a sale- they had 10 rings for 19 cents but they only had about 8 different sizes so I got one of each.

Last edited:

cobalt327

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Yes

,Yes, sorry buna, was typing in a hurry and didn't have time to reference an earlier post. ordered from oringsupply store. View attachment 40682 View attachment 40683
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I see you have 2 sizes, was one a better fit than the other? I can possibly find some other attys that use the size you're not going to use is why I ask. Then maybe YOU can go into the O-ring business! haha

cobalt327

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
.9 for the coil base, .8 for chimney.
Okay, so 9mm ID base, 8mm ID chimney and cross section of 1mm. Think I got it. I may be chasing the dragon but I make note of what size O-ring fits what atty and where on the atty it fits, as I find info on them.

Edited to add info provided by REDD:
I received the 1x9 and 1x8 mm o-rings today. On my tfv4 mini, The 1x9 is too thick for the base on the rca and will not screw in deep enough into the base of the tank.The 1x8 mm works perfectly as long as you tighten the rca base firmly. It also worked for the chimney as well , though I think the 1x7mm are actually perfect for the chimney. This was a great fix. I have zero liquid coming through the air holes now.

Your buna-n 70 O-rings are the ideal material and hardness and should last a lot longer than the ones that came on the atty- many O-rings that come on atties, especially clones, are made of silicone. They will seal great until the parts are disassembled a few times. Then they're scrap.

Last edited:

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and use sharp razor blade and lube it to keep the blade from gripping to get clean cut

I think the problem is a lack of material on the mini coupled with the top stretching it. I cut the locator nub off and rotated it around so there's just a hole for a needle instead of a slot. So far so good with old stretched out seals. The stretched part around the air hole is over metal so it doesn't leak, the center of the slot is over metal so it doesn't get pushed out of where it needs to be.

I'm not sure if this means the extra lip can stay (not that it's needed, the ones without it are sealing just fine). I've got a couple left, now that I've figured out how to stop them from stretching I might be willing to try one.
I'm moving my full sized around because they're starting to stretch and I don't have many spares of those.

REDD

Member For 4 Years
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 29622
View attachment 29623

I could really use a few of these ! How do I contact you directly. Thank you

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information on the correct sizes. Just ordered. ORing supply has 25 of each for a total of $3.50
If you have a leak at the top gasket where you refill the tank it can cause the fluid to leak through the coil where wick holes are due to pressure!

VU Sponsors