Become a Patron!

Landlord to ban vaping?

Peter Shukin

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've found out my landlord will not allow vaping in newly renovated apts. Citing the smell will stick on the walls. Like tar? It's vaporized cooking flavors, like which would be released in normal cooking or baking. This is in Canada? Harper's hell....

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
They just banned smoking here in apartments, in stairwells and balconies... in the parking lot even.
Kind of happy actually, at least two near fires from people's cigs.
But vaping is safe and endorsed.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
ZDEE5OI.jpg

Couldn't resist. :p

Peter Shukin

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well my landlord actually told a possible client of mine that no, he can't vape in his apartment. This same landlord used me to switch several residents to ecigs from smoking, who were in apartments that still allowed smoking. He bought the ecig kits for them, I thought that was great, but he got us all to sign non-smoking agreements. Also fine. Now I hear ecig use is not allowed in his newer apartments. These people are also all low income, pretty much what's going on around town. All apartments are being renovated to the point I'll be one of the few that can still afford to live here. And no more food for me.... Nelson B.C. come visit the rich!

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't know actually. Since it's winter I have no ventilation at all in my apartment and it completely reeks of everything I've been vaping for the past month. A friend of mine who often comes over can't even come into my front room because the smell bothers her so much. I'm even starting to smell it at all times even when I'm not vaping. Even though you might describe the smell as good, sort of like a mixture of cookies and fruit, it's so pungent that I'm wondering if it's not part of the problem I'm having with my chest cold coming and going.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
So glad I don't have to tangle with apartment living anymore.

Although, I had to replace a $3,000 furnace last year...so home ownership isn't always shits and giggles, either.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I take care of eight apartment buildings including the one I live in, so I know where you're coming from times eight. It's not the fact that it's an apartment that stinks it up, it's the fact that it's winter so all the storm windows are sealed not allowing any fresh air to get in.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You could tell him to go fuck himself and find a LL who isnt a moron, or you could just think it quietly to yourself, if you really want that appt.
Just be aware, if hes this dumb about things he obviously has no clue about, he will be a double prick about things he does.
His aversion to reality would be a deal breaker for me.
Unless he doesnt allow scented candles, cooking, or blue toilet fresheners either....

Peter Shukin

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I make sure my apt is ventilated all the time. Bad if windows are sealed up though, mine aren't. Guess I'll have to go out every hour like a smoking animal now..... really, might as well just quit vaping, which I can do now fortunately. Guess my fight is over, too bad for the other still smokers out there.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So glad I don't have to tangle with apartment living anymore.

Although, I had to replace a $3,000 furnace last year...so home ownership isn't always shits and giggles, either.
Just spent ~$6500... Of course, it was the insurance's money, but still :)

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You could tell him to go fuck himself and find a LL who isnt a moron, or you could just think it quietly to yourself, if you really want that appt.
Just be aware, if hes this dumb about things he obviously has no clue about, he will be a double prick about things he does.
His aversion to reality would be a deal breaker for me.
Unless he doesnt allow scented candles, cooking, or blue toilet fresheners either....
Vaping does leave a residue though.. So unless you can always vape in the kitchen with the vent running..

Peter Shukin

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I will have one more go with this guy though. I really thought saving lives, and getting rid of smoking was important. Now getting rid of vaping flavor smell is more important? Cooking and baking release the same dam ingredients? Just don't understand this.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I will have one more go with this guy though. I really thought saving lives, and getting rid of smoking was important. Now getting rid of vaping flavor smell is more important? Cooking and baking release the same dam ingredients? Just don't understand this.
Yeah but if you cooked ALL THE TIME like we vape all the time, you're place would start getting saturated with the smell of it, wouldn't it?

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Vaping does leave a residue though.. So unless you can always vape in the kitchen with the vent running..
Of course it does, but we drop billions of dead skin cells, deposit oil on everything we touch, and shed hair everyday. Id assume frequent cooking with garlic and onions would leave a more acrid smell than vaping, and theLL said nothing about cooking, while vaping is some big deal. That's all I'm saying.

Peter Shukin

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Also, truly, in a world where keeping an apt smelling perfect 24hrs a day, over seeing someone die from cancer because they can't use their dam ecig, isn't one I want to live in. Some concessions have to be made. I can use light smelling mixes indoors, strong outside. I'll negotiate with the landlord. Just don't tell me I can't do something that hasn't even been made illegal up here, yet.....

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Just spent ~$6500... Of course, it was the insurance's money, but still :)
Have a friend who owns an HVAC business, so it was pretty much cost + free install. Guess I shouldn't complain too much then...$6,500? Ugh.

Although I have a feeling that this will probably be the last year for my yard tractor. At least I'm hoping it lasts another season. Have you priced those things lately? Good grief, you about need ask for a car loan. We have a little over an acre and removed a bunch of trees last year, and I think I pushed mine a bit too far. Would be nice to be able to get away with a piddly little lawn mower, but even those things are about a grand.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Of course it does, but we drop billions of dead skin cells, deposit oil on everything we touch, and shed hair everyday. Id assume frequent cooking with garlic and onions would leave a more acrid smell than vaping, and theLL said nothing about cooking, while vaping is some big deal. That's all I'm saying.
I get what you are saying.. But, as a landlord myself, if I have to do deep cleaning and/or painting after you leave, the security deposit (at least) is mine. Any costs beyond that I go to court for.

But, I have a feeling that that is not the real problem. The real problem is having people who might raise a stink over smelling smoke or 'vapor' and dealing with insurance.. Just easier to ban it all.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Have a friend who owns an HVAC business, so it was pretty much cost + free install. Guess I shouldn't complain too much then...$6,500? Ugh.

Although I have a feeling that this will probably be the last year for my yard tractor. At least I'm hoping it lasts another season. Have you priced those things lately? Good grief, you about need ask for a car loan. We have a little over an acre and removed a bunch of trees last year, and I think I pushed mine a bit too far. Would be nice to be able to get away with a piddly little lawn mower, but even those things are about a grand.
No shit.. and last 3-5 years.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Move on out to sunny San Diego...I've got a 2br house I'll be done remodeling going up for rent next week, and another coming up vacant next month...did I mention we consider 60 degrees parka weather?

All kidding aside, my wife's smelly candles leave way more of a residue inside than the two of us vaping...

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Rudd furnaces run about a grand. If he installed a Train or some other high end furnace, you still paid him some profit, it wasn't at cost, IMO. It's usual here where I live, for a furnace change out to run 3K.

Keep your eyes peeled for a good used mower. At least if you are mechanical and know what to look for. I still have a yard tractor, but in a few years, I will probably just buy a new zero turn John Deere. They are just SOOO much faster for getting the lawn mowed. My Deere now is nice. But I don't have time for this lawn mowing BS in the summer. I got money to make, and the wife tends to break shit when she tries mowing, so the task is better off left to me because I'm gonna be fixing it anyway.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Rudd furnaces run about a grand. If he installed a Train or some other high end furnace, you still paid him some profit, it wasn't at cost, IMO. It's usual here where I live, for a furnace change out to run 3K.

Keep your eyes peeled for a good used mower. At least if you are mechanical and know what to look for. I still have a yard tractor, but in a few years, I will probably just buy a new zero turn John Deere. They are just SOOO much faster for getting the lawn mowed. My Deere now is nice. But I don't have time for this lawn mowing BS in the summer. I got money to make, and the wife tends to break shit when she tries mowing, so the task is better off left to me because I'm gonna be fixing it anyway.
We had a Bryant furnace installed. And that's where I can't complain. I have an Allis-Chalmers tractor that's around 45 years old that I bought from my dad. They don't build stuff like that anymore, but it's getting very hard to find parts for it. I like those ZTR mowers, but I need something more than just a mower. I have attachments: snow blower, blade, tiller, etc. I don't have a farm, but this is a decent sized property with lots of trees and a long driveway, so it's nice to have that stuff.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Are these attachments pto or hydraulic driven?
If not, you probably will not find another tractor these will just plug and play with.

If they are, you might just consider something that has a loader, and maybe a cab or at least a soft cab you can get for winter snowblowing. Deere makes some nice home type small tractors that seem reasonably priced.

If you don't care about brand name, and want to save some money, Massey Ferguson is about the lowest on the price spectrum, that carries a name.

20-30 K will buy a NICE Deere with a loader and probably a few nicities too. Price isn't bad considering I gave 13K for my Polaris Ranger and it came with hardly anything. Just a windshield, top, and back. A plow is about 2K. More if you want power angle.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So what about dry burning your coils, building, and rewicking? You have to do all that crap outside too?! This is getting into some seriously gray areas.

That being said, I vape in my man cave in between rounds of Call Of Duty... two or three giant puffs are gone after a ten minute round. An hour later and there's no smell whatsoever. There's no residue on my glass coffee table or TV stand and there's very little ventilation as the room is in my basement. Unless you're blowing storm system level clouds, you're probably good to casually vape without anyone being the wiser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xhalin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I wish your landlord good luck with that venture... You'll find a way....

Snot sticks to walls- are sneezes banned as well? Don't forget feces, that sticks like crazy- shitting will be banned soon.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I wish your landlord good luck with that venture... You'll find a way....

Snot sticks to walls- are sneezes banned as well? Don't forget feces, that sticks like crazy- shitting will be banned soon.
No candles and no feces shitting... sounds like a place I do not wish to live.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Are these attachments pto or hydraulic driven?
If not, you probably will not find another tractor these will just plug and play with.
Kind of a mixed bag. Several are belt driven/PTO. I've been looking at new Deere and Mahindra models, but there's a part of me that wants to stay old school cool.

kenb10.jpg

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Kind of a mixed bag. Several are belt driven/PTO. I've been looking at new Deere and Mahindra models, but there's a part of me that wants to stay old school cool.

kenb10.jpg
You'd be surprised at what a collector would pay for something like that. Especially if it has maker matched implements. Doesn't even have to be restored or jazzed up like the pic. I wouldn't suggest using it and the implements as a trade in, unless the dealer offers a LARGE trade in.

I'll have several trees on this new property I am buying. A zero turn makes mowing around them a breeze. I doubt I'll get rid of my other Deere, as I have a hitch mounted rototiller that I use on it too, besides a big mowing deck.

A front end loader is the handiest invention that you never thought you needed.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry. The room I vape in the most smells sickly sweet. It's strong. It's off putting.

I'm a vaper. If I owned rental property I'd strongly consider resticting vaping. And no, it's not the same as cooking. The flavors and smells are coated in VG and do not go away quickly.

As a libertarian, I believe the landlord owns the house therefore the landlord makes the rules. If vaping indoors effects the landlord, of course he has every right to address it.

The best thing to do if a person does not want to live under the rules of a landlord is to become your own landlord and make your own rules.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
The best thing to do if a person does not want to live under the rules of a landlord is to become your own landlord and make your own rules.
Unless you're married, then you have your very own live-in landlord who makes the rules. o_O

My wife was never a smoker. I always went outside to smoke because A) it's just nasty when a house smells like smoke, and B) we have a small child. But since I've been vaping, I do it indoors. Early on, I would vape outside, just because that was part of the habit and it helped me quit smoking. She grumbles about the vape smell most of the time. About the only thing I vape that she doesn't mind is Five Pawns Castle Long, which happens to be my favorite, so I lucked out there.

I usually keep it to my studio, because that's my space. But if we're watching a movie or something and I'm vaping, she waves her arms around trying to clear the clouds and holds her hand over her nose to make a scene...because that's just what wives do. I may or may not be blowing clouds on purpose just to annoy her...because that's just what husbands do.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unless you're married, then you have your very own live-in landlord who makes the rules. o_O

My wife was never a smoker. I always went outside to smoke because A) it's just nasty when a house smells like smoke, and B) we have a small child. But since I've been vaping, I do it indoors. Early on, I would vape outside, just because that was part of the habit and it helped me quit smoking. She grumbles about the vape smell most of the time. About the only thing I vape that she doesn't mind is Five Pawns Castle Long, which happens to be my favorite, so I lucked out there.

I usually keep it to my studio, because that's my space. But if we're watching a movie or something and I'm vaping, she waves her arms around trying to clear the clouds and holds her hand over her nose to make a scene...because that's just what wives do. I may or may not be blowing clouds on purpose just to annoy her...because that's just what husbands do.

Same here. I didn't smoke in the house but I do vape in the house. The only difference is my wife doesn't complain at all. She's happy I quit smoking so if she doesn't like the vape smell, she's keeping to herself. Heh.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The best thing to do if a person does not want to live under the rules of a landlord is to become your own landlord and make your own rules.[/QUOTE]

LOL, de ja VUE.....Sounds like how a forum works too:D:D
[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Anus Braun

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
They just banned smoking here in apartments, in stairwells and balconies... in the parking lot even.
Careful, is careful, careless, is careless. Cigs, firearms, cars, ect.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
@Time has a point.

We all know how vaping effects our windshields. We should realize it probably does the same thing to our walls, floor coverings, etc. So IF you are renting to someone, how much cleanup do YOU want to do, to prepare the rental for the next renter?

Odor removal is an EXPENSIVE job for pros. That comes out of the landlord's pocket. They do OWN the place, after all.

Anus Braun

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'd be dropping loaves, ALL over the places...NOT being electronically-surveilled...

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
OK, so maybe I'm in the minority. My house is old and lets just say not sealed very well. I vape a lot in the bedroom, where we also sleep and our little gassy dog sleeps too, see where I'm going with this? We smell her farts (and ours I'm sure) alot more than we ever smell my vapor. So if the logic about smells were to apply in my house, can't pass gas in my own house either. I'll fart where I want damnit. I personally have a lot of stomach issues, on lots of meds for it actually, so I tend to be more gassy than most. Not that it matters, but if my landlord was concerned about smells lingering in the house better not come to my house.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Burn a bag of microwave popcorn before the LL comes over.
I second this, seems like every other day someone was burning a bag at work at some job I had, that'll cover up the smell of anything and it lingers.

Peter Shukin

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Now I find out it may be all over the formaldehyde scare thing. He thinks we are all using 300 watt mods, cloud chasing, and peeling the paint off his newly painted apts. If this this is all about the cloud chasing morons who are destroying it for all of us, I'm getting more pissed....

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'd just vape inside and not worry about it, unless you know he is coming over in the immediate future. If he shows up unexpectedly, just don't answer the door. Landlords in BC need to give 24 hours notice before entering the property without permission, except in the event of an emergency.

Don't vape in common areas, don't tell other tenants what you're doing in the privacy of your own home, and you should be fine. If he presses the issue, deny deny deny. If he claims that he can smell what you're vaping, blame it on food or woman's perfume, and if he tries banning them too perhaps its time for an accidental grease fire.

VU Sponsors