Become a Patron!

Keeping the markings on your DIY syringes

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have read about people using finger nail polish so the marking don't wear off but every time I tried it pulled them off. What do you use to keep the numbers from fading away

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Before I starting using a scale, I'd do this with a little paring knife. It looks tedious, but I did about a hundred while watching a Futurama episode.
564e950eda40d48e7fa548ee92fc88e1.jpg
3b0516ee2ca0fe951d3eb0be31492553.jpg

LoveVanilla

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And I might add, I've witnessed the nail polish flake off as I mixed juice. Walls on plastic syringes flex with use, so unless you have the right stuff, there's a chance it may end up in your juice. And this is not a good thing. So while it has worked for some, I would personally discourage nail polish for this purpose.

OTH, packaging tape is "waterproof" and seems to last as long as the syringe plungers.

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Idk how I feel about the tape idea. It is a petroleum product, and who knows what the adhesive is. If your liquids are taking off the numbers, isn't there a chance it's breaking down the tape too? Just a thought, maybe silly at that.

RZAwora

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I always use regular scotch tape over my syringe markings and it seems to help them last quite awhile. I like the idea of 'scoring' them too. Maybe I'll do that with my next batch. Thanks for the tip @RocketPuppy

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Scotch tape gets nasty when wet, turns cloudy and comes off easy.
Packing tape won't.

Looky:

That has regular 'ol USPS packing tape on it.

Just cut it square, don't get fingerprints on it before ya put it on, and apply slowly while pushing the air out. Ya don't want grease, dirt or bubbles under there. :)

Last edited:

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Um... so, people with wet syringes.. tell me just why is the outside of your syringes getting wet again? ;)

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Um... so, people with wet syringes.. tell me just why is the outside of your syringes getting wet again? ;)
Maybe it's just when they clean them? Not sure

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mine get wet because I dip the end in the liquid to draw it up into the syringe. Otherwise, I just get air. ;)

Like sex, the "just the tip" promise get's lost in the heat of the moment. I end up just plunging the whole thing in and getting me some of that,,,,,,,,,,,um,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,flavor. :p

Then I rinse/wash them off. Same thing. They tend to get wet while rinsing/washing.

That said, it's not the numbers at the bottom that come off. It's the number at the top where fingers are holding on. The numbers and marks get wore off from rubbing. A cure for this would be recessed lettering but plastic syringes are only meant for one time use so it would be hard to convince a manufacturer to add the expense. Limited market and all.

Personally, my last "vape mail" was 50 1ml syringes I paid a whopping $6 for. Shipping included. I don't bother with the tape and have a syringe for each flavor so no X contamination of flavors/nic while I'm in mix mode.

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If using nail polish to cover up the marks, you have to put it on thick. Scrubbing with thin amounts of nail polish rubs the ink off. That ink is inert stuff. It's the same basic stuff add what's used on your McDonalds/Wendys/etc cups. Food safe uv cured ink. The plastic is non-porous do it doesn't have much to grab onto.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Im a tape guy with the rest. regular scotch tape. a few reason for using tape is all syringes are not created equal, or at least the numbers on the outside. if you are ocd about washing them out like me the numbers wear off pretty fast. some first round. I do have 3 or 4 that I have had since day one are like new with no tape. I tape stuff now just incase.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I rinse them out afterwards and let them air dry.
Ya don't want flavors/nic/juices getting crossed eh?

I find that the Excel syringes are the best for non-sticking plungers (even with just water) and good labeling, but YMMV.

I don't throw stuff out...I've had some of the same syringes for years.

jamieg71

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Y'all measure stuff an such?? o_O

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I know my Nic level, it never changes. When my numbers started fading, I hot the mark with a fine tip sharpie. When ot starts to fade I hit it again. Wont do much goof for measuring anything except Nic, but that is all I use the thing for. It has worked fine. I'm ghetto about stuff though. If it works I don't like to buy another.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just tonight, I had the perfect rational for good markings on a syringe:

Made up a 5ml tester batch of a juice, using my usual 100mg VG nic.
(yes, I should make up some lower strength for testing stuff)

Now, according to eJuiceMeUp, for my batch to be my usual 18mg, and with the other ingredients in there, I needed 0.9ml of nic solution. :eek:

Yay for accurate markings on a syringe. :D

(The juice is a peach & apple pie with cinnamon graham crust, and so far it's nummerz).

*EDITED*
I had put 0.09 when I meant 0.9ml Typing sux...

Last edited:

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I rinse them out afterwards and let them air dry.
Ya don't want flavors/nic/juices getting crossed eh?

I find that the Excel syringes are the best for non-sticking plungers (even with just water) and good labeling, but YMMV.

I don't throw stuff out...I've had some of the same syringes for years.
I pull water up through the needle, push back out... Done ;)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I pull water up through the needle, push back out... Done ;)

Ah, you must be far less messy than I. :)
Sticking a syringe down into a bottle, it nearly always manages to get on the outside of the tube.

I do that too for just a quicky juice fill or such, but when using 100mg nic, I'm a bit more paranoid.

I mix on the kitchen counter, so the sink is right there...wash 'n dry...no worries.

RZAwora

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just tonight, I had the perfect rational for good markings on a syringe:

Made up a 5ml tester batch of a juice, using my usual 100mg VG nic.
(yes, I should make up some lower strength for testing stuff)

Now, according to eJuiceMeUp, for my batch to be my usual 18mg, and with the other ingredients in there, I needed 0.09ml of nic solution. :eek:

Yay for accurate markings on a syringe. :D

(The juice is a peach & apple pie with cinnamon graham crust, and so far it's nummerz).

You do mean 0.9ml of nic solution right? 0.09ml of that 100mg nic would only give you 1.8mg/ml of nic not 18mg/ml. I'm hoping you meant 0.9ml...unless of course you're vaping 1.8mg/ml nic, then congratulations...I'm working on getting down to there myself.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You do mean 0.9ml of nic solution right? 0.09ml of that 100mg nic would only give you 1.8mg/ml of nic not 18mg/ml. I'm hoping you meant 0.9ml...unless of course you're vaping 1.8mg/ml nic, then congratulations...I'm working on getting down to there myself.

Argh..you're right....it was a typo. I vape 18mg most of the time.

I corrected it, thx.. :)

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Can you explain this process for us? I'm getting tired of using syringes!!!
Yes. I'll do it simply, but if you want a more in depth procedure, I can do that this weekend.
I put a bottle and a tiny glass funnel (in the bottle) on the scale and tare it out, so it reads zero. I add one flavor at a time and tare between each flavor. Then I add my pg, tare, vg, tare, and nic, close the bottle and shake. I wash the funnel, and I'm done. I was hesitant when someone suggested it, but I am so thankful. It is so ridiculously easy, and the cleanup is almost non-existent.

When you set up an account, you can set this calculator to measure in grams: http://www.e-liquid-recipes.com

itsmedant

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh wow, that does sound pretty easy. Do you know how well this would work on a larger scale mix? Like if I needed to make 40 bottles?

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh wow, that does sound pretty easy. Do you know how well this would work on a larger scale mix? Like if I needed to make 40 bottles?
I do it large scale quite often. I can put a few bottles on the scale and zero out each time I add a flavor. It really is easy. @AmandaD just started measuring by scale. Amanda, are you finding it easier?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The measuring by weight makes sense. That's how mass-production is done for foodstuffs.

When I was researching getting into making hotsauces years ago, I had to learn how to change my home recipes from teaspoons/ounces, etc into weights because that is how it's done in commercial kitchens and bulk food production. :)

My main question is: how well would that work if you never make more than say, 60-120ml of anything at a time? I usually just make 30, 60 and 120 ml bottles up, sometimes not even that much.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess it would depend on the range of your scale. Mine goes up to 500 grams, but there are ones that go higher! What I really do like is that today I've been mixing up a bunch of 6ml testers. Usually I use drops, but these bottles have tiny tops, and I found it easier to just add the (single) flavorings by weight. This only works of course, because these flavorings start at around 5% - it wouldn't work for tiny amounts, because the scale doesn't go down that low!

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No matter how large or small you mix, it's the same process. The middle column measures in grams. Screen shot 2014-12-19 at 6.20.34 PM.png

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I guess it would depend on the range of your scale. Mine goes up to 500 grams, but there are ones that go higher! What I really do like is that today I've been mixing up a bunch of 6ml testers. Usually I use drops, but these bottles have tiny tops, and I found it easier to just add the (single) flavorings by weight. This only works of course, because these flavorings start at around 5% - it wouldn't work for tiny amounts, because the scale doesn't go down that low!

I reuse my flavoring bottles for tester sized batches, so a lot of 5-10ml bottles around here. :D

I have my 30ml desk bottles of ADV's and about a dozen 5-15ml bottles of various experiments that I mix in when dripping or filling tanks.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No matter how large or small you mix, it's the same process. The middle column measures in grams. View attachment 10831

Ya, but that is using 36mg nic, I use 100mg and usually make 30ml or less.

I'm just one person, so basically I don't make juice much.
Once a month I make up my 3-4 ADV in about 120ml sizes, and that's it except for experiments which can be as small as 5ml.

I think it's great, I just don't think I DIY enough to worry about it. ;)

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ya, but that is using 36mg nic, I use 100mg and usually make 30ml or less.

I'm just one person, so basically I don't make juice much.
Once a month I make up my 3-4 ADV in about 120ml sizes, and that's it except for experiments which can be as small as 5ml.

I think it's great, I just don't think I DIY enough to worry about it. ;)
That was a fake recipe. I use 100mg too. I think that's just the given numbers. I didn't change anything but the flavors.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That was a fake recipe. I use 100mg too. I think that's just the given numbers. I didn't change anything but the flavors.

Right, but a 5ml batch using 100mg nic for 18mg juice..how the hell would I even measure that by weight? It's like a few drops.

Truthfully, I use the drops measure in eJuiceMe as much as I do the ml's. If my 18mg juice ends up 17mg, I'd never know anyways. I can see where if you vaped at lower levels of nic it would matter more.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've spent quite a lot on syringes of the past year, and they take up various plastic bins. For $15 I'm now virtually free of all syringes and other measuring equipment - which made it worth it for me! But, as you say, it depends if it bothers you or not!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Right, but a 5ml batch using 100mg nic for 18mg juice..how the hell would I even measure that by weight? It's like a few drops.

Truthfully, I use the drops measure in eJuiceMe as much as I do the ml's.

I use my ready-made base for tiny batches! I just measure the flavorings.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've spent quite a lot on syringes of the past year, and they take up various plastic bins. For $15 I'm now virtually free of all syringes and other measuring equipment - which made it worth it for me! But, as you say, it depends if it bothers you or not!

Thanks, I'm just asking out of curiosity and learning new stuff. :)

I still have stuff from when I got my first kit from OSDYIS like two years ago. Never even opened half of it.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I used to do that too..had my main bottle of 100mg and a bottle pre-mixed down to a more manageable 20ml (an easy number to divide to).

I stopped that when one day, I forgot to label which WL bottle had the 20mg nic in it....:eek:

I'm too lazy I guess. If it's all the same strength nic, I can't forget.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I do it large scale quite often. I can put a few bottles on the scale and zero out each time I add a flavor. It really is easy. @AmandaD just started measuring by scale. Amanda, are you finding it easier?
I should have done this a year ago - it's so much faster and cleaner!

You 2 sound like a news team tossing to one another, LOL!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used to do that too..had my main bottle of 100mg and a bottle pre-mixed down to a more manageable 20ml (an easy number to divide to).

I stopped that when one day, I forgot to label which WL bottle had the 20mg nic in it....:eek:

I'm too lazy I guess. If it's all the same strength nic, I can't forget.

I vape 6mg, so I make up a big bottle of 7mg at 50/50 which lives in the kitchen. My working 100mg bottle lives in the fridge, andthe others are in the freezer! I used masking tape on the bottle to mark exact measurements for nic, pg, vg and fill line - makes it really fast to make up another big bottle (oh and it has a squeezy thing on the end too)

VU Sponsors