Become a Patron!

Kayfun V5 clone: HOLY COW!

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had a few SXK Kayfun V5 clones in rotation for a while now. At first I had a really hard time cleaning them (usual drill "a few cycles in ultrasonic, build and go vape" resulted in the most awful taste ever), but after some rigorous scrubbing, boiling etc everything went to normal. At least so I thought. Same liquid tasted the same (but slightly more pronounced) in Kayfun as it did in OBS Engine. Life's good, amirite?…

Then I finally found a store that had an OEM parts kit in stock. First, I replaced the screws. Waaaay better! Somehow SXK managed to mill the slots to the exact specs, then put in the screws that were just a tad too small (resulting in uneven clamping). That was a pleasant surprise.

…And then I've swapped the o-rings. All of them. I was expecting that it will make the juice flow control smoother, and wasn't disappointed. But then I vaped. The very same liquid I've been vaping for a few days already. It felt like I got it confused with undiluted flavoring. Holy moly! Now I see what the buzz is all about with Kayfuns!

TL;DR: if you're buying a Kayfun clone, do yourself a YUGE favor and order a replacement parts kit right away. Take it apart completely, toss the Chinese o-rings in the trash and thoroughly wash the tank. Then dress it with SvoёMesto o-rings.

Oh dear, I'm getting a few more of these guys! :hearts:

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I can't wait to try this out. It sounds amazing.

It is. Quick tip, in case you didn't know: SXK clone is considered by many to be the best, as it's 100% compatible with OEM parts. Second best, SJMY, is not compatible when it comes to glass, otherwise it's the same. Tobeco is a distant third place.

As for the SXK clones, 2 main sources are 3fvape.com and fasttech.com. First one sells the version with a logo and "authentic" packaging, while FT version lacks both (although I've heard that lately they've been shipping with "authentic" packaging, but still no logo).

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is. Quick tip, in case you didn't know: SXK clone is considered by many to be the best, as it's 100% compatible with OEM parts. Second best, SJMY, is not compatible when it comes to glass, otherwise it's the same. Tobeco is a distant third place.

As for the SXK clones, 2 main sources are 3fvape.com and fasttech.com. First one sells the version with a logo and "authentic" packaging, while FT version lacks both (although I've heard that lately they've been shipping with "authentic" packaging, but still no logo).
I am getting the SXK version found on FT. Look like amazing tanks. I'm hoping that it will help to get my cousin and mom in law to put the stinkies down.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bookmarked that mod and already showed it to my wife. Amazing deal and hope they will still be there on payday. Can't even think about it till then sadly.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
My vaping style would melt the insulator right out of a Kayfun, not to mention I couldn't fit the usual 4.2mm 12 wrap fused claptons I vape in my 41mm Voltrove in a Kayfun.

The few times I HAVE used Kayfuns the flavor was always on point. If I were to ever open a vape shop, I would only use Kayfun tanks for juice testers. I just can't personally get down with them.

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My vaping style would melt the insulator right out of a Kayfun, not to mention I couldn't fit the usual 4.2mm 12 wrap fused claptons I vape in my 41mm Voltrove in a Kayfun.
From my experience so far, Kayfun v5 works the best with rather simplistic setup, no benefit from any kind of clapton wire. Personally, I'm running it with 26ga SS, 3mm id, 6-7 wraps. There's a wee bit more vapor if you use twisted 30 ga, but just barely noticeable.

PS: On a side note, your name looks Russian. Is it?

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I had a few SXK Kayfun V5 clones in rotation for a while now. At first I had a really hard time cleaning them (usual drill "a few cycles in ultrasonic, build and go vape" resulted in the most awful taste ever), but after some rigorous scrubbing, boiling etc everything went to normal. At least so I thought. Same liquid tasted the same (but slightly more pronounced) in Kayfun as it did in OBS Engine. Life's good, amirite?…

Then I finally found a store that had an OEM parts kit in stock. First, I replaced the screws. Waaaay better! Somehow SXK managed to mill the slots to the exact specs, then put in the screws that were just a tad too small (resulting in uneven clamping). That was a pleasant surprise.

…And then I've swapped the o-rings. All of them. I was expecting that it will make the juice flow control smoother, and wasn't disappointed. But then I vaped. The very same liquid I've been vaping for a few days already. It felt like I got it confused with undiluted flavoring. Holy moly! Now I see what the buzz is all about with Kayfuns!

TL;DR: if you're buying a Kayfun clone, do yourself a YUGE favor and order a replacement parts kit right away. Take it apart completely, toss the Chinese o-rings in the trash and thoroughly wash the tank. Then dress it with SvoёMesto o-rings.

Oh dear, I'm getting a few more of these guys! :hearts:
:bliss:

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
From my experience so far, Kayfun v5 works the best with rather simplistic setup, no benefit from any kind of clapton wire.

Just wanted to see how this statement applies to the new reality of OEM o-rings. Built a 26/30ga SS clapton coil, 5 wraps with 3mm id. Same ridiculous amount of flavor, but much warmer. So if you like your vape on a warm side, go with the thicker wire or a clapton. Another benefit I forgot to mention – it's a much sturdier coil, easier to re-wick and reuse.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
From my experience so far, Kayfun v5 works the best with rather simplistic setup, no benefit from any kind of clapton wire. Personally, I'm running it with 26ga SS, 3mm id, 6-7 wraps. There's a wee bit more vapor if you use twisted 30 ga, but just barely noticeable.

PS: On a side note, your name looks Russian. Is it?

I'm Serbian by nationality, Ukrainian by blood and I now live in the US, TN to be exact. I was born in Serbia.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I've been to the great red north a few times, each time was to St. Petersburg. I'm fluent in the language but, Russians never seemed to like me once they found out where I was from. Something about Serbs and Uks ticks them off.

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Something about Serbs and Uks ticks them off.
Probably a cognitive dissonance, as a political narrative of the last few decades was preaching the brotherhood with Serbs and preparing (and lately, actually waging) the war with Ukraine. Top it off with common anti-Americanism, and you'll get the picture.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Probably a cognitive dissonance, as a political narrative of the last few decades was preaching the brotherhood with Serbs and preparing (and lately, actually waging) the war with Ukraine. Top it off with common anti-Americanism, and you'll get the picture.

You had the Yugoslav wars turning everybody in the Balkans against each other which also created a lot of animosity toward the Russians who my people saw as just 'leaving them to the dogs' after the Union collapsed. Then you have Russia trying to hijack Ukraine back into its territory like it did Chechnya and Georgia. So I understand the hate to an extent, I just don't see why people have to believe what their government believes 100% of the time like they're incapable of free thought.

Just BRING UP Kosovo around most Serbs and watch them lose their shit and start screaming KOSOVO JE SRBIJA.

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I understand the hate to an extent, I just don't see why people have to believe what their government believes 100% of the time like they're incapable of free thought.
Free thought requires a constant conscious effort. It's much easier to just relax in front of the TV and pat yourself on the back for being an independent thinker…
Just BRING UP Kosovo around most Serbs and watch them lose their shit and start screaming KOSOVO JE SRBIJA.
I quit photojournalism after trip to Kosovo in the late 90s, so I'm quite familiar with the landscape. However, we've drifted way too deeply into the Offtopicland, so let's continue by PM. Or over a beer someday, as I live in North GA.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I'm like an hour out of Atlanta so the over a beer option is definitely possible.

I feel you though, it has drifted a bit.

In terms of Kayfun's, have you ever used the V3 Mini? I've heard the V5 is literally just a taller V3 Mini, which I have actually used before and I believe I still own somewhere. If so, compare the two if you don't mind as the V3 Mini I've had up to 120W once and it was actually a decent vape.

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In terms of Kayfun's, have you ever used the V3 Mini? I've heard the V5 is literally just a taller V3 Mini, which I have actually used before and I believe I still own somewhere. If so, compare the two if you don't mind as the V3 Mini I've had up to 120W once and it was actually a decent vape.
Used to own one, gave it away. Not a big fan of strict MTL, and the deck was rather inconvenient – it felt more like an RBA to me. The V5 is a very different beast, as the airflow (to much cringe from the "classic" fanboys) has been substantially increased. With V5 you can go from "loose MTL" to "restricted DL", or get an optional (and cheap) MTL reducer kit for the full MTL experience, whatever the hell it means. I like it a lot because of the new deck (it only looks similar to V3 Mini): building is so easy, you can literally do it with your eyes closed. It takes me about 1.5-2 minutes to coil and wick the Kayfun v5 from scratch, including dry burning, priming and full assembly. It's my "morning coffee" routine.

Speaking of 120W… I'm comfortably running my current build (26/30ga clapton) at the cruising power of 77W with a 1 second ramp-up of 150W. You won't melt a PEEK insulator, even in a clone (unless you run it dry) :giggle:

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I usually use 4S lipo PWM mods and vape around 600W, so with a Kayfun, I don't know. Everything melts at high enough heat and I've had older PWM mods melt the insulators out of 510's before they got better with time.

Still, the fact it has more airflow is a good sign. The biggest issue I've had with Kayfun's is the lack of airflow on them. I was a direct lung inhaler even when I smoked, I was weird like that.

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I usually use 4S lipo PWM mods and vape around 600W
I meant a consumer grade mods, not a fuckin' welding machines! :devil:
Still, the fact it has more airflow is a good sign. The biggest issue I've had with Kayfun's is the lack of airflow on them. I was a direct lung inhaler even when I smoked, I was weird like that.
You should definitely try a V5. For DL I'd suggest keeping the coil relatively small, no more than 2.5mm ID, as anything bigger will restrict the airflow. I like mine at 3mm only because it holds more juice in the coil and hence more suitable for chain vaping.

VU Sponsors