Become a Patron!

Kayfun to airy?!?!?

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I found this to be almost always the case as well. It's why I have such a hard time actually purchasing MTL atomizers.

And just wanted to add this: look at the air hole inside the atty -- if it's not also very tiny, then it won't make a lick of difference how tightly you can adjust the external hole -- the tightness has to be in place in both, inner and outer airholes, or you'll never get the " proper amount of suction," to quote Mr Dyson. :D

Andria

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
And just wanted to add this: look at the air hole inside the atty -- if it's not also very tiny, then it won't make a lick of difference how tightly you can adjust the external hole -- the tightness has to be in place in both, inner and outer airholes, or you'll never get the " proper amount of suction," to quote Mr Dyson. :D

Andria
Most definitely!! I mean you can close down the air to a super tight place and get an "acceptable" draw. But you loose flavor since the stream of air hitting your coil isn't as "hard" as it would be if the smaller hole was the one directly under/beside/whatever the coil. Like if you take a pipe and run water through it. If you close down the start of the pipe the stream at the end will just be a dribble. But if you close down the end it becomes a hard stream shooting out.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Most definitely!! I mean you can close down the air to a super tight place and get an "acceptable" draw. But you loose flavor since the stream of air hitting your coil isn't as "hard" as it would be if the smaller hole was the one directly under/beside/whatever the coil. Like if you take a pipe and run water through it. If you close down the start of the pipe the stream at the end will just be a dribble. But if you close down the end it becomes a hard stream shooting out.

As for where the air comes from -- I've tried several "side air" attys, where the air comes directly in thru the side -- almost zero flavor. I don't know for sure, but my instinct tells me this would be the case with "top air" as well, for the same reason. Now Kayfuns, and my Achilles, and even Magmas, have air coming in thru the side, but when it enters the actual atty chamber, it's coming from directly beneath the coil -- GREAT flavor!

There's a guy over at Asshat Central (ECF) who posted an image as to why this is true, but I cannot find that image anywhere; basically, air entering the atty chamber thru the side or top, goes up and down and side to side and all around, just very disorganized. Whereas when the air comes from directly beneath the coil, then it's going directly over the coil and wick, directly to your mouth, without any disorganized air currents diluting the flavor. It's just logical.

And one of the other great things about having a tiny internal airhole is that even with bottom airflow, there's very little opportunity for liquid to get into the airhole, but even if it does, it's such a small amount that blowing it back out is quite easy.

Andria

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
im just on my way out the door, so i didnt read the whole thread, i just wanna say that the kayfun mini v3 clone i got has a screw for airflow that you can close completely, and it was the first mtl atty i found that got tight enough for what i wanted at the time. its very small though, so its a bit weird on modern mods. i think its 18 or 20mm. worth trying the clone imo, it was only a few bucks and its a great mtl.

cthulhu 1928 is something newer thats quite nice imo. on the smallest air its not 'cheek sucking' tight, but its not far off (very close to kayfun primes smallest setting). i have been using it all week with 27mg salts and its lovely :cheers:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
im just on my way out the door, so i didnt read the whole thread, i just wanna say that the kayfun mini v3 clone i got has a screw for airflow that you can close completely, and it was the first mtl atty i found that got tight enough for what i wanted at the time. its very small though, so its a bit weird on modern mods. i think its 18 or 20mm. worth trying the clone imo, it was only a few bucks and its a great mtl.

cthulhu 1928 is something newer thats quite nice imo. on the smallest air its not 'cheek sucking' tight, but its not far off (very close to kayfun primes smallest setting). i have been using it all week with 27mg salts and its lovely :cheers:

It might be worth trying out, since they do offer a .8mm airflow setting... however the internal airhole is HUGE, so I'm Timothy-Leary's-brother (really-really-Leary (SIC)!) about just how tight it really is. Doesn't matter how tight the external airflow adjustment is, if the internal airhole is huge, it's gonna be an airy vape without much flavor.

Gearbest and FT have it for about $19-$20 so it might be worth a try just to see.

Andria

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It might be worth trying out, since they do offer a .8mm airflow setting... however the internal airhole is HUGE, so I'm Timothy-Leary's-brother (really-really-Leary (SIC)!) about just how tight it really is. Doesn't matter how tight the external airflow adjustment is, if the internal airhole is huge, it's gonna be an airy vape without much flavor.

Gearbest and FT have it for about $19-$20 so it might be worth a try just to see.

Andria
yeah there are a lot of things that can wreck the draw. i have a pocket rta clone and the afc is so loose that you can fully close it, and it still feels a bit too loose for my style of mtl. the 1928 on the smallest air feels like it would be ok for one of your longer cooler drags. i like a shorter (1-2 second) drag, so i run my mtl builds a bit hot (right now im at .9 at 4.5v). if i turn this down to ~3v and take a soft, 4 second drag it seems to work great still. i am trying to find a comparison for you and i remembered i have a magma with a build in it that you recommended. back-to-back puffs/smallest air settings, the 1928 feels a hair tighter than the magma in single coil mode, or the magma feels like its somewhere between the two smallest holes on the 1928. my magma is not modified like yours, but that should give you a good sense of the 1928. its worth a try imo.

VU Sponsors