Become a Patron!

KangerTech TOPBOX Mini cleaning clapton coil

Youngvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi guys. I have a 0.5ohm clapton coil on my Kangertech but how do i properly clean it ?

I have heard someone saying i should probably first clean the tank and all the rest parts. Then dry burn it. Someone say i should take off the cotton wick then fire it off until red meanwhile i dip it into water. Is this correct? And what watts should i do for this? I just want to keep a long lasting coil and looking for some advice.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If you're talking about the rebuildable coil section, then that method sounds about right. The wattage doesnt really matter much as long as there are no hot spots in the coil. I just whack em under running tap water while they're red hot a few times. Just be careful not to get the mod wet. Good luck!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi guys. I have a 0.5ohm clapton coil on my Kangertech but how do i properly clean it ?

I have heard someone saying i should probably first clean the tank and all the rest parts. Then dry burn it. Someone say i should take off the cotton wick then fire it off until red meanwhile i dip it into water. Is this correct? And what watts should i do for this? I just want to keep a long lasting coil and looking for some advice.
Is this an OCC coil (prebuilt) or is it the rebuildable coil (you can change the cotton and the wire)?

If this is the standard prebuilt OCC coil, then no - you just prime it before using (put a few drops of juice on the cotton) and vape it.

Youngvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I dont know. I bought this https://www.fasttech.com/p/4321600

It doesn't say if its OCC or not. But i assume it is rebuildable. I do not have any extra wires but should i buy replacement wires too? I do not want to clean it right now if the wire that is already on there no longer works after getting water on it. Thanks for the great answers! :)

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I dont know. I bought this https://www.fasttech.com/p/4321600

It doesn't say if its OCC or not. But i assume it is rebuildable. Thanks for the great answers! :)
That is an OCC coil. Although I'm sure some people have rebuilt them, generally these are throw away coils! Just put a few drops of juice on the cotton to prime it, then screw it in and vape it. I use those coils somewhere between 30-40 watts.

DARKSIGNAL

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just took one last night that was producing some fairly gross tasting hits after a few flavor changes and ran it under super hot water until the wick was white again. I then soaked it in a cup of rubbing alcohol for about 4-5 hours and swirled it around a few times. I let it dry over night and it hits like new. Before I vaped on it I screwed the coil into the bottom of the atty and onto the mod so it was exposed and dripped a few drops of juice in there while pulsing the mod at 18w and blowing into the coil to remove any nasty stuff from the cleaning process. At a certain point these things definitely go in the trash but I do think its possible to get a few more days out of them if you clean them before they're totally shot.

Youngvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That is an OCC coil. Although I'm sure some people have rebuilt them, generally these are throw away coils! Just put a few drops of juice on the cotton to prime it, then screw it in and vape it. I use those coils somewhere between 30-40 watts.

Sorry to bother you but how did you find out if its a OCC or Rebuildable coil? Im not an expert but I'm willing to learn. I guess those OCC coils also doesn't have a long lifetime compared to the rebuildable ones. However i will follow your advice, i just hope those clapton coils can last me long enough. I will try it out on 30-40 watts, i dont know what temperature setting i should use though.

Im not into buying stuff all the time, reason i quit smoking real cigarettes is because of economy. Do you have a good choice what coils i should buy next? And what temp and watts?

And Amanda, thanks a ton! :)

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry to bother you but how did you find out if its a OCC or Rebuildable coil? Im not an expert but I'm willing to learn. I guess those OCC coils also doesn't have a long lifetime compared to the rebuildable ones. However i will follow your advice, i just hope those clapton coils can last me long enough. I will try it out on 30-40 watts, i dont know what temperature setting i should use though.

Im not into buying stuff all the time, reason i quit smoking real cigarettes is because of economy. Do you have a good choice what coils i should buy next? And what temp and watts?

This is the RBA head (which is rebuildable): https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10014112/2390700-authentic-kangertech-subtank-mini-rba-plus-coil

You don't use TC with the clapton coils Use them in regular wattage mode! (Only use TC on the kanger nickel or titanium coils(

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

This is the RBA head (which is rebuildable): https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10014112/2390700-authentic-kangertech-subtank-mini-rba-plus-coil

You don't use TC with the clapton coils Use them in regular wattage mode! (Only use TC on the kanger nickel or titanium coils)

Youngvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just took one last night that was producing some fairly gross tasting hits after a few flavor changes and ran it under super hot water until the wick was white again. I then soaked it in a cup of rubbing alcohol for about 4-5 hours and swirled it around a few times. I let it dry over night and it hits like new. Before I vaped on it I screwed the coil into the bottom of the atty and onto the mod so it was exposed and dripped a few drops of juice in there while pulsing the mod at 18w and blowing into the coil to remove any nasty stuff from the cleaning process. At a certain point these things definitely go in the trash but I do think its possible to get a few more days out of them if you clean them before they're totally shot.

Are you using the same coil OCC? Did you remove the wick from the coil before you took it in hot water? If you are using a OCC coil i might try this out

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you using the same coil OCC? Did you remove the wick from the coil before you took it in hot water? If you are using a OCC coil i might try this out
You're new to vaping? If so, do NOT mess with the OCC coil until you know exactly what you're doing. And,no, you can't remove the cotton without disturbing the coil, and then you'll end up with an unusable coil. Just prime it and vape it!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Alright, i will buy one of these and some wires for it. I guess kanthal are the best wires for this one?
If you're going to rebuild coils make sure you're familiar with ohms law and that you research building carefully. Yes, kanthal is what many people use to start with.

Youngvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you're going to rebuild coils make sure you're familiar with ohms law and that you research building carefully. Yes, kanthal is what many people use to start with.

Any recommended kanthal wire to use with this RBA coil? Its way to much products out there :D Im pretty sure that is the last question i have

DARKSIGNAL

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah it's just the stock OCC style coils but rather the ones with the clapton coils in them. The kanger claptons hit MUCH better than the stock SSOCC coil you get with the atty. Don't try and take these apart and rebuild them. I'm just referring to cleaning the wicks up a bit to get a few more days out of them when they start to taste bad. If you want to actually rebuild coils you'll need the RBA coil that can go in the top tank mini. There are tons of videos on how to rebuild them but like other people have said do your homework so you don't fry your mod or worse.

VU Sponsors