Become a Patron!

Kanger Subtank Nano gets added to the roster

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ive been procrastinating for months with getting a subtank and i just couldnt take it anymore...I like my kayfun lite plus when i can wick it properly to work smooth but ,im ready for a change.

Kanger was the company whos product got me off the cigs so i dont think ill go wrong with a subtank in the mix...I have found im liking airy draws more and more as my taifun with a nano set up and version 2 base has turned turned me onto.

Another thing i like is the fact the coils are pretty fully and easily rebuildable in a very similar way the old style kanger coil heads are...So keeping a fresh coil will be a cheap and easy for me here.

I already have some kanthal A1 26g wire and some ko jen do cotton on the way from My Freedom Smokes to get me started...My plan is to build some simple 1.0 ohm coils which i think would be 5 wraps on a 3mm inside diameter, to keep it simple...I may even play with some 28g with even more wraps to see if flavor can improve even more, over what i hear is pretty good already.

Now the shittiest part of all, to wait for it in the mail...sigh.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just learned to rebuild the stock coils myself, been using the 26g, but no matter what I do I can't seem to get one to read .5 - always in the .7 to .9 range, but working well nonetheless. I did however look at one of the preinstalled coils when I pulled it out and it was a mere 4 wraps??

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The inside diameter of the coil plays a big part in the overall ohms...the larger the diameter the more wire you are using for the same number of wraps...Im not really sure the inside diameter of the stock coil but if it uses 26g wire its wrapped on a smaller diameter ...5 wraps on a 3mm is supposedly about 1 ohm.

Did you try 4 wraps with the 26 to get the .7?...if so ,go with the next size smaller diameter bit or screwdriver and it will lower it.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No, I was actually using a 1/8" screwdriver from a precision set, as the coil I removed fit over that one with a good fit, not too tight but touching. Then I've used the little blue screwdriver that came with my subtank. I've done five wraps and even seven on one, but same result. I think I'll just invest in a jig and be done with it....lol!

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've got one more to do, may try that when I get home.

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mine is paired up with an iLeaf and it works great

BBB7E870-4C77-4A2B-B5A0-52D3D20575C6-13845-00000570AB18CA02_zpshn7g6dj4.jpg

It also looks very nice with a variable voltage ego style battery, maybe even one with a 18650 to really crank up the flavor.

2C2067ED-AF4E-4E83-8B12-D86EEBAFB53A-13845-00000570B3281A3F_zps1mrimbrb.jpg

Out of curiosity, what was the reason you chose to go with the nano over the mini? The only real complaint I had about the nano, is it cant hold enough juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuice

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just learned to rebuild the stock coils myself, been using the 26g, but no matter what I do I can't seem to get one to read .5 - always in the .7 to .9 range, but working well nonetheless. I did however look at one of the preinstalled coils when I pulled it out and it was a mere 4 wraps??
I haven't opened up one of the newer (red insulator) coils to check it out yet but they older ones were all NR-R-NR wire so even if you're doing the same number of wraps your final resistance is going to be higher than the straight stock coils. They're also ridiculously easy to take the wick out of, dry burn, and rewick, though you have to figure out the perfect level of wicking (something I'm still not perfect at myself) or they are no bueno.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok..i got my used tank and im in love so far...My Sigelei is reading 1.2 ohms and i tried all the air hole setting on 15 watts.

Bottom line is ,i have a new all day tank...This nano will be used at home and for short trips and im considering now the Subtank Mini as something to get for added juice capacity.
1432667102997.jpg
1432667413229.jpg

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't opened up one of the newer (red insulator) coils to check it out yet but they older ones were all NR-R-NR wire so even if you're doing the same number of wraps your final resistance is going to be higher than the straight stock coils. They're also ridiculously easy to take the wick out of, dry burn, and rewick, though you have to figure out the perfect level of wicking (something I'm still not perfect at myself) or they are no bueno.
The insulators have been either red or white from the beginning. Matter of fact, there was a post made a few weeks ago questioning the difference and I think it was determined there wasn't one. The one's I've rebuilt have been either color, but my problem is not being able to get the top cap off. I'm sure it would be a lot easier to do if I could, but those suckers seem to be welded on and beyond the strength of the average female - lol! I've got 'em down to .6 and .7 with 26g kanthal so I'm okay with that. They vape purdy good... ;)

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok..i got my used tank and im in love so far...My Sigelei is reading 1.2 ohms and i tried all the air hole setting on 15 watts.

Bottom line is ,i have a new all day tank...This nano will be used at home and for short trips and im considering now the Subtank Mini as something to get for added juice capacity.
View attachment 21143
View attachment 21144
http://www.myvapedeal.com/authentic-kanger-subox-mini-black-starter-kit.html?acc=36

You know you want the new version lol Improved airflow, vertical coils, super nice RBA deck.......

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well....uh....yeah. :D

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Mine is paired up with an iLeaf and it works great

BBB7E870-4C77-4A2B-B5A0-52D3D20575C6-13845-00000570AB18CA02_zpshn7g6dj4.jpg

It also looks very nice with a variable voltage ego style battery, maybe even one with a 18650 to really crank up the flavor.

2C2067ED-AF4E-4E83-8B12-D86EEBAFB53A-13845-00000570B3281A3F_zps1mrimbrb.jpg

Out of curiosity, what was the reason you chose to go with the nano over the mini? The only real complaint I had about the nano, is it cant hold enough juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuice

If you were asking me?, i just wanted a simple coil tank and to see if i like the subtank series..Also for $18.00 shipped (used) i couldnt pass it up really.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The insulators have been either red or white from the beginning. Matter of fact, there was a post made a few weeks ago questioning the difference and I think it was determined there wasn't one. The one's I've rebuilt have been either color, but my problem is not being able to get the top cap off. I'm sure it would be a lot easier to do if I could, but those suckers seem to be welded on and beyond the strength of the average female - lol! I've got 'em down to .6 and .7 with 26g kanthal so I'm okay with that. They vape purdy good... ;)

I have one with a blue and a white insulator...Just did my first coil..came out to .8 with 26g.

I had no problems building without removing the top...unless you're gonna try to do a big micro coil wider than the opening i dont see a reason to have to take it off really...my first attempt went like melted butter.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got a new one out today from a pack I'd ordered and I swear it was four wraps and a good quarter inch gap in between three of them. Read .6 on my meter. So why am I compressing them?

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You dont have to if you dont want to...Compressing them is essentially making a micro coil...This covers more of the wick in a concentrated area and is supposed to give off better flavor...I havent done that on the nano yet but i will....Usually more wraps helps but expect ohms to climb as well.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This is a micro i did on a single coil evod coil head...You can see how much of the wick was being covered by the coil...I think it was like 13 wraps and 2.7ohms...lol

20150125_220527.jpg

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That explains a lot! I thought you had to compress them. I think I've watched too many videos....lol!

AZ4running

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was really happy with the 2 Nanos I have, until dry hits became an issue as my vaping increased. Now its all about my Plus with the RBA. Personally the Mini or the Plus is the way to go due the the RBA. Wicked correctly you will never have a dry hit.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I was really happy with the 2 Nanos I have, until dry hits became an issue as my vaping increased. Now its all about my Plus with the RBA. Personally the Mini or the Plus is the way to go due the the RBA. Wicked correctly you will never have a dry hit.

Taking baby steps i suppose...im not new to rda style heads as the kayfun and taifun i have are...Havent had any dry hits as of yet and ive turned up power to 20 watts with an .8 ohm home made coil.

The diy i make is whatever percentage of PG thats in the flavoring and i add 10 percent distilled water...so i guess im at about 85/15 with my mix...Im using kohJenDo cotton...Barely any resistance inside the coil but touching...Been working great so far even with chain hits.

VU Sponsors