Become a Patron!

Kanger Subtank Mini & Plus - Which coils do I buy?

theargonaut33

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
HI there. I recently purchased the Kanger Subtank Mini and the Kanger Subtank Plus. I like both but I'm somewhat new to vaping and I'm trying to figure out which coils are compatible with these 2 units. I see some I buy are vertical and others are horizontal. I've had a lot of out of the box problems with both that I've bought. So much so I'm thinking about buying yet a 4th tank that is not Kanger so I don't have to deal with their crappy coils that are half DOA out of the box. One says 5G and the other says 5D on the side of the 2 I bought. I'm trying to figure out what I'm supposed to be buying for these units. Help appreciated. Thanks.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That really isn't enough information to go by. We need to know if you prefer your vapor hot, warm or cool, what wattage range you like, if you prefer the vertical or horizontal coils, and what mod you are using. Personally, I recommend the 1.2 ohm coils. They're horizontal (so they can be re-wicked), have good airflow, aren't too hot and put out nice flavor.

If you really want a better vape from the Subtank you could always use the rebuildable head and start wrapping your own coils.

I just started vaping 2 months ago. Got a subox mini, took a few days to get used to the differences from smoking cigs but very happy I made the change.

I use the 1.2 occ at 19W. I actually have tried the different air settings and found I like best when the most open setting is just a little open and thus allows the larger hole setting to be fully open as well. Lots of air but just a little resistance, which I like.

I find the kanger occ 1.2 lasts about 3-4 days before getting gunked and losing flavor/tasting "dry".

I vape mostly The Milk 2 at 12 nic and hoping to reduce to 6 nic soon. A guy I talk to suggested combining 6 with 12 nic to make 9. Was thinking of trying it.

Last edited:

theargonaut33

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That really isn't enough information to go by. We need to know if you prefer your vapor hot, warm or cool, what wattage range you like, if you prefer the vertical or horizontal coils, and what mod you are using. Personally, I recommend the 1.2 ohm coils. They're horizontal (so they can be re-wicked), have good airflow, aren't too hot and put out nice flavor.

If you really want a better vape from the Subtank you could always use the rebuildable head and start wrapping your own coils.

I don't really have a temp preference to be honest. Main things i'm interested in are good flavor and having my coil last. Using Aspire Nautilus, Kanger Subtank mini, and Subtank plus with Sigelei mini and IPV D2. Coils in the nautilus seem to be less DOA and last a bit longer than the Kanger coils.

Going to look into the RBA that was given to me with both my Kangers.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't really have a temp preference to be honest. Main things i'm interested in are good flavor and having my coil last. Using Aspire Nautilus, Kanger Subtank mini, and Subtank plus with Sigelei mini and IPV D2. Coils in the nautilus seem to be less DOA and last a bit longer than the Kanger coils.

Going to look into the RBA that was given to me with both my Kangers.

Holy cow! You started out with some damn nice equipment! My recommendation is still to use either the 1.2 ohm coils or the RBA. The 1.2 coils can be re-wicked which will allow you to use them over and over with the same coil. I've used some .5 & 1.2 ohm coils for a solid month with rewicking (lots of how-too videos on YouTube). I find that the heads usually work better and taste nice longer once you lightly dry burn them and put fresh cotton (after the original cotton gets gunked). Some people find that they have to make a small hole in the center of the cotton using a needle when they first prime a new horizontal OCC head. That depends on the VG ratio of your juice. Some Kanger heads can struggle wick 60-70% VG juice, or higher. What percentage VG are you vaping in your Subtank?

PyroTekRob

Member For 4 Years
Are these the coils that came in the box with the tank, or additional coils you bought? Are they authentic? I haven't had much issue with the updated authentic OCC coils. Usually get a week or 2 out of them on my iStick 50w @25w.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just started vaping 2 months ago. Got a subox mini, took a few days to get used to the differences from smoking cigs but very happy I made the change.

I use the 1.2 occ at 19W. I actually have tried the different air settings and found I like best when the most open setting is just a little open and thus allows the larger hole setting to be fully open as well. Lots of air but just a little resistance, which I like.

I find the kanger occ 1.2 lasts about 3-4 days before getting gunked and losing flavor/tasting "dry".

I vape mostly The Milk 2 at 12 nic and hoping to reduce to 6 nic soon. A guy I talk to suggested combining 6 with 12 nic to make 9. Was thinking of trying it.

You can soak the coil heads overnight in Vodka/Everclear. Put in a small sealed bottle, like a baby food jar and give it a gentle shake. The crud on the coil and cotton will be removed. After that either let dry or rinse with hot water and let the coil heads dry. You will get another week or so out of the heads, after that they are too far gone to use...

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I get low on coils, I run mine under HOT water for a few minuets, and then gently push a pipe cleaner down in the hole about 1/2 an inch and twist....

311863CD-5C1F-4012-AA09-1184FAFC586B-5900-000001F764638727_zpsl41dtszx.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I am a bit weary of keeping vodka around, might drink up the potential savings ; )

I will say that with the kanger occ 1.2 at 19W with The Milk 2...

New coil, day1 one is good

Day 2 and 3 are great. Get such good flavor, vape is rich, nutty, cinammon.

Day 4, starts to get bland, then coughs, its gone.

Also got Filipino Mango, working that in. Want to get 5 pawns gambit too.

I bought some new ktech 1.2 occ coils and noticed they are different than the ones I bought a month ago. The side holes are noticeably recessed and the cotton with it. The vape is a little different, not bad, maybe more efficient with more/bigger cloud faster.

VU Sponsors