Become a Patron!

Kanger sub tank at more than 25 watts

LetTheLuckRoll

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I was wondering if anyone can explain how to vape a KST at more than 25 watts? When I have tried it all I can get is a burnt flavor but on mod envy last night they were talking about using theirs at 40 and up in wattage. I just don't understand how its possible .

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
What ohm coil are you running when at 25+ watts?

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well I don't know. You should be good with a .5 coil at anywhere up to about 28'ish watts without issue.. Some go higher but I can't / don't as the taste above that is terrible for me..

I hang out around 22 watts with a ,5 coil..

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Some people say that you might try poking the wick material with a needle to loosen them up a bit on the 0.5 occ heads to allow them to absorb E-Liquid faster/better.

Also for future reference, folks will eventually show up and do their best to answer your questions so just give them some time especially on weekends:D.

Tom950

VU Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I keep mine at around 21/22 with the .5 heads. Get nasty hits at times when I go higher

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have three that I use with the RBA heads. I vape them all at 25 watts!

They do get very hot in any event - much hotter than any other tank I use with the same coils and at the same wattage.

LetTheLuckRoll

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Some people say that you might try poking the wick material with a needle to loosen them up a bit on the 0.5 occ heads to allow them to absorb E-Liquid faster/better.

Also for future reference, folks will eventually show up and do their best to answer your questions so just give them some time especially on weekends:D.
i couldn' find it in the first three pages so I put something in to move up the board but will keep that in mind thanks

iLiptiKal

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With the pre-built 0.5 OCC head that came with my KST+ I couldn't go higher than 25w either. I have since rebuilt it to 0.5ohm but with a wick that isn't packed as tight and run it at 30w. At 35w it has a burnt taste.
The RTA that came in the box I'm not a fan of though because the wick is not staying juiced so gives dry hits every few pulls. I might take a dremal to it to see if I can fix it, but at the moment the rebuilt OCC is my favourite in the KST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

This - I was getting way too many dry hits, even at 17-18 watts, before poking holes in the stock coils. Still, I don't go much above 28 with the OCC coils...I've got my drippers for high power, the Subtank is an acceptable substitute for weekday use...

judgewiz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
25 watts is my limit, 30 watts starts turning nasty and burnt

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Stock coils I vape at 23 watts, go much higher then will get dry hits, but get good vape at 23 watts, so I am fine with that.

With the RBA head, I normally vape at 25 watts, can push it to 30 watts, but I prefer it at 25 watts, but also I am using 50/50 juice, so the wicking keeps up normally.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The core issue is that the OCC heads have too much cotton packed in them, thus impeding juice flow to the coil. I Loosen up the cotton a bit with a dental pick and that helps out a lot. when I re-wick the heads, the vape is always better.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hmm. With Ni200 i can run this thing at 35w 470F and everything seems to be good. I built this myself, 8ish wraps of 28 gauge Ni200 and wicked pancake style.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The core issue is that the OCC heads have too much cotton packed in them, thus impeding juice flow to the coil. I Loosen up the cotton a bit with a dental pick and that helps out a lot. when I re-wick the heads, the vape is always better.
Agreed. From now on im gonna pancake all my OCC heads. Works so good.

LetTheLuckRoll

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hmm. With Ni200 i can run this thing at 35w 470F and everything seems to be good. I built this myself, 8ish wraps of 28 gauge Ni200 and wicked pancake style.
Are you using a tank or a dripper?

sonarman

Member For 4 Years
Using an Istick 50 with OCC heads I can't go above 21 watts without dry hits. Bought the Subtank as an upgrade to my Delta 2 and it's a downgrade (I can take the delta 2 up to 40 watts with no dry hits). I boiled the cotton for the RBA section of the Mini so I can use the RBA today.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I have the mini and the plus. Both I vaped at 30W without dry hits with a 80VG/20PG DIY juice, utilizing the 0.5 OCC. However, the power you can use, also depends on your juice. I used to have a Vanilla pre-made juice, that just couldn't take a lot of heat.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Using an Istick 50 with OCC heads I can't go above 21 watts without dry hits. Bought the Subtank as an upgrade to my Delta 2 and it's a downgrade (I can take the delta 2 up to 40 watts with no dry hits). I boiled the cotton for the RBA section of the Mini so I can use the RBA today.
Are you measuring how good a device based on how high wattage it can run? By all means, get a Maganus. It worked "fine" with 165w when i tried it for shits and giggles. That tank can handle anything.

sonarman

Member For 4 Years
Are you measuring how good a device based on how high wattage it can run? By all means, get a Maganus. It worked "fine" with 165w when i tried it for shits and giggles. That tank can handle anything.

Yes. What's with the loaded question?

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yes. What's with the loaded question?
Nothing. I just think its a little weird, but i im not judging.

But srsly, the Maganus. Its a good tank, and it works with lower wattage as well. Its best around 50-60w.

sonarman

Member For 4 Years
Nothing. I just think its a little weird, but i im not judging.

But srsly, the Maganus. Its a good tank, and it works with lower wattage as well. Its best around 50-60w.

I've only been vaping about a month so I'm new and still learning. If there is a way to get more flavor out of the Kanger I'm willing to try it. Just put on the rba and quickly learned there is a sweet spot to getting the cotton right.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've only been vaping about a month so I'm new and still learning. If there is a way to get more flavor out of the Kanger I'm willing to try it. Just put on the rba and quickly learned there is a sweet spot to getting the cotton right.
Sorry, no more tricks on these sleeves :| Maybe you should buy an RDA, like a Magma or a Derringer?

BumbaCLot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just have to ask why? I don't think more heat (which is all anything "boils" down to always solves the flavor issue.

sonarman

Member For 4 Years
I just have to ask why? I don't think more heat (which is all anything "boils" down to always solves the flavor issue.
I get more flavor out of the Delta 2. It stays consistent up to 30 watts in regards to increased flavor. I find that the Subtank does not have as much flavor as the Delta 2 even with both at 20 watts using the same liquid hitting them side by side. So yes it "BOILS" down to what I find that increasing the wattage I can get more flavor out of the Delta 2 as far as the Subtank goes I don't know if increasing the wattage would help since I get dry hits past 20. But 10 from to 20 I do get more flavor. And again 20 watts on the Delta 2 compared to 20 watts on the Subtank I get more flavor out of the Delta 2. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong since I've only been vaping a month and can't yet tell what it means to think that I like more flavor with increased wattage as described above.

BumbaCLot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Certain juices I definitely get more flavor out of at higher watts. I just don't need to max out the sub tanks for some reason. My dark horse I am getting a lot more flavor at higher watts just very juice dependent.

sonarman

Member For 4 Years
I have found that as well. I usually keep the Delta around 20-25. I'm going to try poking the OCC coils with a needle to see if it helps opening them up.

I was having a bunch of dry hits on the OCC 0.5 ohm coils on my subtank mini. I loaded the RBA and put a wick on the coil that was already installed on it. It's vaping nicely now and I'm around 27-29 W @ 0.5 ohms. The juice entry holes are much lower, almost at the base, which helps using all the juice in the tank.

hitman4274

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm vaping mine in the 25 watt zone regardless most of the time..

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

*Anything*? :->

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just take my tweezers and pull a teeny bit out carefully and they vape GREAT!

Kaleidoscope71

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Going to have to try this tonight :)

AZ4running

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use the mini rba and nothing else in my subtank. Open up the juice holes a little, use the pancake wicking method and run either 70/30 or 80/20 vg/pg, i run nithing but 70/30. I vape at 20-25 watts and chain vape with no dry hits in fact they stay nice and wet.

judgewiz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
25 watts has always been my sweet spot with the Subtank Mini no matter what the juice I used or what device I was currently vaping on. Remember taste is subjective and after about a month a lot of peoples taste buds change a little. What tasted great in the beginning may be so so after that change

VU Sponsors