Become a Patron!

kanger sub mini not behaving on a istick 30w

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
bleh....dry hit ,Oh hey, I got a kanger subtank mini on a istick 30, and when I first started using it, I used the .5 ohm that was already in it, using cosmic fog shocker. Worked awesome. nice pulls, warm, awesome flavor at 7 watts. (I don't like heat) I use that occ for 10ml, it was a horizontal coil. After I went thru that 10ml, Of course, not paying attention in traffic, took a huge pull off of it when I knew the juice was low, burned it up.
So I put a 1.5 ohm in it, its the new occ vertical coil.
Now I have the istick at 15watts, and every other hit is dry. The tank is on the biggest airflow. even when its not a dry hit, it doesn't taste the same as before. I just ordered 10 new occ vertical .5 ohm, and I hope its just the ohm factor.
Ive switched out, three 1.5ohm coils this week, hoping the coils were just bad, but is that possible? 3 in a row.

adamwineguy

Founder, 10 Vape Commandments
VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
7 watts does seem really low for that .5 ohm coil, and I have actually had issues myself of tearing through coils because I wasn't running enough power through them. All of your sub ohm coils are meant to handle some heat, and you might find that cranking up the wattage to the right point doesn't necessarily give you a hotter hit, just a proper hit with lots of vapor.

Are you making sure to prime the coils? Add a little juice directly to the fresh coil before putting it in the tank, then let it sit for a minute or so to make sure the wick is saturated. The start off at low wattage and slowly increase.

Personally I have had problems with those Kanger OCC coils in general. I've found that they are built very inconsistently. When those new coils arrive, take a look at two or three side by side. You'll notice that the coils are not wrapped with consistent spacing in each one.

I've had some of those OCC's last a few hours, and a couple that lasted a week or so. I get way more longevity with other tanks/brands of coils.

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Between 19-24 watts is perfect...

E97D3BB0-D2FE-4209-9AC2-DCF48AE1432F-1412-00000018B49397C5_zpswiun91od.jpg

Last edited:

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Personally, I have not had an issue with my OCC heads and I usually vape at about 36 watts.

I have heard that some folks that are experiencing the issue that you have described take a sewing needle and poke the cotton through the holes to loosen it up a bit. Seems to help.

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do prime them , and let them sit for idk 1/2 hr or so.
Rj, that does seem to be the case. When I train vape, then I get dry, so Im going to try that. If I wait for about the same time between hits compared to average hit on a cigarette, it seems fine.
Tony, that tip, is that off a kanger mini pro-tank II? I tried that and liked it. What ohm do you run?

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rj, I stuck a push pin thru the one currently in my tank, just one side. That cotton is packed in there tight. instantly better. Flavor is back, and lots of vapor. I took about 5 consecutive pulls, one right after the other, no dry hit. Thanks so much.
Tony, I have it now at 21 watts, 1.5 ohms. perfect.
Thanks guys. Its too bad Ive tossed 4 coils when it was a easy fix. live and learn.

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
update.... ran out of juice far away from home. 15 minutes, lol. Stopped at puffin vapes in allyn. Nice guy in there. I grabbed 5 .5ohm occ coils, and warned him about the new vertical coils being too packed, and how to fix them. Its been a week , no leaks pushing a push pin thru one side of the vertical occ. I also grabbed a 30 ml of 6mg fruit loops by ohm sweet ohm. Tastes more like really good vanilla frosting, like when you sneak into the pantry late at night and grab a spoon of it. don't tell mother. lol

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I only used my vertical coil for like a day if that with no issue at max vg Sweitch to the RBA deck with Titanium now that I have a TC device
the horizontal coils needed the pin trick when I primed them and then again in about 10 days, and again in 5 days then again in 2
then just changed the coil

VU Sponsors