Become a Patron!

Just a week in and now having issues...

ShadowMelt

Member For 4 Years
Hello vapors,
I just quit smoking and jumped on vaping. I'm a week in and I have a huge problem. I'm vaping with a subbox mini with a 0.5 coil. After the first week I found a flavor I enjoy a lot and I pretty much stuck with that. Now out of no where I can't taste the vape flavor anymore I just taste nothing and sometimes it taste nasty. If I wait an hour the taste comes back and I enjoy it again but only after a few inhale. I read something called vapors tongue and I tried everything under cures to fix it. I tried different flavors and all goes bad after a while. I let someone use my vape to see if it was me and they can taste it and they think I'm going crazy. Anyone experience this? It is ruining my vaping experience.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have you tried replacing the coil? It doesn't sound like it's getting gunked up, but if you've tried the basic vapors tongue cures already I'm at a bit of a loss here...

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone

ShadowMelt

Member For 4 Years
Yes I cleaned it up and tried another coil and still getting the samething. I'm typing from a phone as well lol

ShadowMelt

Member For 4 Years
Is this a permanent thing or something I mean I vape with a group of people and no one heard of this tongue thing. Also I can't enjoy my vape with them cause my flavor goes away and I'm all sad lol

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hello vapors,
I just quit smoking and jumped on vaping. I'm a week in and I have a huge problem. I'm vaping with a subbox mini with a 0.5 coil. After the first week I found a flavor I enjoy a lot and I pretty much stuck with that. Now out of no where I can't taste the vape flavor anymore I just taste nothing and sometimes it taste nasty. If I wait an hour the taste comes back and I enjoy it again but only after a few inhale. I read something called vapors tongue and I tried everything under cures to fix it. I tried different flavors and all goes bad after a while. I let someone use my vape to see if it was me and they can taste it and they think I'm going crazy. Anyone experience this? It is ruining my vaping experience.
The community calls it "Vape Tongue" your olfactory system has figured out the taste/scent the best thing to do is switch it up..
There are other fixes some say silly crap but the best bet is have a couple or better a few juices to switch between that way the dreaded "Vape Tongue" will not hit as bad.. Ohh it will hit though :)

Discobob

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just keep vaping man, hit the shit out of that mod!!!! Don't get discouraged cause you got the tongue.....yes it exists sometimes time will only be the way to get rid of it. I have had it and it sucks but I'm still not smoking:)

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
A few of things.
First: It may NOT be Vapors Tongue in the traditional sense it's used within this forum. That typically last awhile for some people. If that's the case, stop here.

Second: Assuming you're doing only one flavor, and doing it heavily. (As I do) Try eating something like a hamburger or a hotdog. My taste usually makes a full recovery afterwards. Nibbling on snacks has never worked for me when this happens.

Third: Try keeping something "strong" that you don't necessarily like to vape nearby. I keep a bottle of Granny Smith Apple just for that purpose. When my taste buds start to fade, I just throw 7 or 8 drops into the tank with whatever is in there. Nasty I know. But whatever works ;)

Your mileage may vary, and not everyone will agree.

Just keep vaping man, hit the shit out of that mod!!!! Don't get discouraged cause you got the tongue.....yes it exists sometimes time will only be the way to get rid of it. I have had it and it sucks but I'm still not smoking:)
Thats silly you need to research this more
Believe me I researched it more than one time. I bought subohm tanks with rebuildable sections and just couldn't taste the juice. I spent several hundred dollars on tanks and juice. The RDA's is the only thing that worked for me.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Believe me I researched it more than one time. I bought subohm tanks with rebuildable sections and just couldn't taste the juice. I spent several hundred dollars on tanks and juice. The RDA's is the only thing that worked for me.
Ok well then use your RDA and vapeon

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Since you are new, I would shy away from the rebuildables.

Try drinking a lot of water or things like Gatorade or Powerade to get yourself hydrated as vaping will dehydrate your mouth tissues including your tastebuds.

You could also try Biotin which is a mouthwash that also hydrates.

And some vapers say that munching on a dill pickle or peppers can wake up your mouth again.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Hello vapors,
I just quit smoking and jumped on vaping. I'm a week in and I have a huge problem. I'm vaping with a subbox mini with a 0.5 coil. After the first week I found a flavor I enjoy a lot and I pretty much stuck with that. Now out of no where I can't taste the vape flavor anymore ...
I'm a n00b to vaping, myself, so take this for what it may or, more likely, may not be worth :)

Bought an entry-level EVOD variable-power vaper last weekend, on a whim. I noticed, after a few days, very infrequent vaping and only in the evening, whilst watching TV, that my tongue would become somewhat irritated. Following a bit of reasearch, I paid closer attention to the vaping experience and noticed the heat. Not a lot, but it was there. Turned the vaper down a notch in power. It made only a slight difference in the vape, but it was noticeably cooler. The tongue irritation is now much less. Almost non-existent.

So, where was all that leading? You might try the 1.5 ohm head and a lower wattage. From watching Busardo's review: You can still get clouds, and maybe, rather than super-satisfying hits, you'll be able to get more hits of a satisfactory level? Then again: If you're doing direct-to-lung, as opposed to mouth-to-lung, as I do, that might be a non-starter for you.

Also: You noted you've just quit smoking? If you do a bit of research on it, you'll find there can be an effect on the tongue, from quitting smoking, that will last until your mouth's ecology re-adjusts to the lack of what cigarette smoking did to it. (Sorry: I don't recall the details. I paid little attention, as it did not apply to me, my having quit over five years ago.)

I could be, quite possibly am, all wrong. Like I said: FWIW.

HTH

Jim

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Grind up 3 jalapenos 2 Habaneros and put in glass mix then mix with tomato juice
That will clean ya out if all the above does not work..

nophix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have the same problem if I vape the same juice too much, doesn't matter if it's tank or RDA. it's especially bad if it's a light flavor, like strawberry cream.

I switch between light and strong, and try to make them opposite flavor profiles. For instance, right now, I'm vaping strawberry cream in my dripper. In my subtank, I have peanut butter banana.

The contrasting flavor profiles fire off different sections of your tongue and nasal area.

Also, remember, taste is largely gathered from your sense of smell. If you're stuffed up at all, you'll hardly taste it. We're in season transition now, so I'm having that problem myself.

And, a strong cup of coffee does wonders, too, but I'm a coffee junkie, so maybe that's a biased opinion. ;)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TheRenegadeBiker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I started a few weeks ago and after about 3 days from switching to smoking i noticed this also buylt it went away and came back and still happens from time to time. It happens less on my DIY vapes than store bought for some reason though.

I drink a TON of mountain dew and it also happens with that sometimes. itll pass just try the opposite flavor of what your vaping now.

I was vaping a watermelon mix and switched to something called OG (its a shop brand from the shop i go to) then to ritual vivo and if it starts to happen i just switch to the ritual as its really sweet vs the fruity flavor i normally vape all day (which is some weird mix i made that came out good but not what i was aiming for haha)

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Ideally, you have 3-4 different flavored juices, that you switch between during a day.

TheRenegadeBiker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ideally, you have 3-4 different flavored juices, that you switch between during a day.

That would be ideal for an RDA type of person but as someone with a 3ml tank thats a bit of a hassel! I inly carry 1 30ml bottle of my own juice and a back up bottle thats eh becasue its been sitting in my car for a week haha

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That would be ideal for an RDA type of person but as someone with a 3ml tank thats a bit of a hassel! I inly carry 1 30ml bottle of my own juice and a back up bottle thats eh becasue its been sitting in my car for a week haha

Tanks, huge tanks :) I have 2 Kanger Pros and a TFV4 I keep in rotation.
But even that's a pain in the arse sometimes. Especially on wash day.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Currently, I carry 7-8 tanks and according refills, plus 1 mod (a spare battery if needed for the mod). I have a 2nd charger, that's my designated charger in the office.

TheRenegadeBiker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thats crazy! Haha
Currently, I carry 7-8 tanks and according refills, plus 1 mod (a spare battery if needed for the mod). I have a 2nd charger, that's my designated charger in the office.

CoffeeFuel

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Your body isn't used to vaping and is trying to compensate to the usual toxic levels you are used to. As a result you are probably vaping more, and doing it more often to try and make up for it. Drink lots of water, especially within the first couple of weeks. Your body is regaining the taste buds but is still absorbing the flavoring from your liquids at a faster rate. Your tongue is healing itself from the tar over the last ever how many years you have been smoking.

Also try spacing out the vape sessions to longer intervals, and maybe try a different juice blend that is counter to what you're using now (in other words if you are vaping something super sweet now, try and find something that's a little more savory to stimulate those taste buds and give your sweet taste buds a break.

The key here is to not give up. It will take a little bit of time, but your body will recover.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello vapors,

Sounds like a classic case of 'vaper's tongue' to me. I used to have that happen a lot when I started vaping and used one juice all the time. I found the most dependable fix for me was to have two or three setups with different flavored juices going at the same time and switch between them. If I could not do that and was stuck with one juice for a while, vaping less often worked well for me too.

One thing that I've heard people do that makes sense to me is to vape unflavored with just nic for a while and then go back to your flavored juice. I never tried that, but it should give your sense of taste and smell a chance to recover from the overload of one flavor/scent all the time.

Good luck with it :)

AngiBe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had this really bad when I first started vaping. The first time lasted 3 full days, the second time 7-8 full days where I tasted nothing in my vapes. I would still get it off and on like once a month for the first 6months towards a year of vaping.

I tried every Vapor Tongue remedy I read about and nothing works really but time. Like others mentioned, drink a TON of water while vaping and switch up flavors A LOT. I rotated between 7-10 different tanks/flavors a day. Different flavors- sweet stuff, tobacco, fruit...just try to make the juices vastly different from each other and always one tank of unflavored.

Even now, after over 2 yrs of vaping, I still rotate 4-6 flavors daily. Don't give up, it will pass.

VU Sponsors