Become a Patron!

Jimi's Daily Health Articles

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

Good article, Jimi. This may explain the obesity problem in this country. Also, the fact that most wheat is glyphosated. Gross!

I only eat einkorn every once in a while. It’s lower in the Frankenstein wheat gluten, too. And that’s another reason highly processed grains are so bad. The gluten is off the charts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
New Evidence on Why Women are
More Likely to Get Alzheimer’s

Women generally live longer than men. And it used to be thought their longevity was the reason they developed Alzheimer’s disease more often than men. They simply lived longer. Men died sooner, from other medical issues.

That belief is now being challenged. Women may be genetically more disposed to this medical problem. Here’s what researchers are finding. . .

Scientists are now zeroing in on structures in women’s brains that make them more vulnerable to debilitating memory loss. They haven’t completely explained this vulnerability, but they understand a lot more about it than they used to.

And they’ve found plenty of reason to argue that women have greater need to lead a lifestyle that lowers the risk of Alzheimer’s. I have a couple of suggestions on that, but first let’s look at the findings on gender-based risk. . .

Risks Unique to the Female Brain

The statistics on Alzheimer’s in women are pretty stark:

• As a woman enters her sixties, she has twice the risk of getting Alzheimer’s disease than she has of getting breast cancer.
  • Women represent 64 percent – nearly two-thirds -- of the people in the United States today who have Alzheimer’s. Men account for only 36 percent.
  • When he reaches age 65, a man has a nine percent chance of developing Alzheimer’s during his lifetime. Women run twice that risk.
Now, if you’ve been following the research on Alzheimer’s, you know that the science is still murky about the physical developments in the brain that are the true root cause of the disease. But the difference between men and women may have to do with those perennial suspects, beta and tau proteins.

The well-known beta-amyloid plaque and tau tangle theories have been under fire lately – for good reason. You can count me among the doubters. The accumulation of these toxic proteins among the brain cells is sometimes associated with dementia, but not always, and meanwhile many people with the plaques and tangles die with full possession of their memory and cognitive abilities.

A New Understanding of the Toxic Proteins

The initial buildup of these proteins is a not sure sign that a person will develop Alzheimer’s, but now there are new findings that suggest they play a role. There may be some life in the plaques-and-tangles theory after all.

The proteins show up in two stages. The first consists of the spread of beta amyloid. The second results in tau protein. The initial amyloid may not pose a problem – plenty of people live with amyloid in their brains and don’t suffer memory problems. But when the tangles of tau appear, they destroy neurons. And that destroys your mental abilities.

According to researchers at Vanderbilt University, tau can spread through the brain like an infection, spreading from neuron to neuron, converting other proteins into messy tangles that can kill off neurons.

Some confirmation came when the Vanderbilt researchers used positron emission tomography (PET) scans to analyze how tau spreads through the brain. They found that the architecture of women’s brains makes the spread of tau go more easily and rapidly than it does in men’s brains.1

Women’s brains, say the scientists, have more “bridging regions” that put them at greater risk of widespread neuronal damage.

Plus, there are other circumstances that put women’s brains at risk:

• Research in Germany shows that middle-aged women are protected from brain problems by the estrogenic hormone called estradiol. But after menopause, the decline in this hormonal protection puts them at greater risk of Alzheimer’s and other brain problems.2
  • An analysis at UCLA shows that being a stay-at-home mom increases your risk of Alzheimer’s later in life. And being a single mother further increases the risk.3
Wait a Minute Here

However, both these observations look dubious to me. Men don’t have high levels of estradiol, so if this is a crucial factor, what’s protecting them? We need to know more. (It is true that hormone levels matter to brain health, in both sexes.)

As for stay-at-home and single mothers, there are so many sociological factors that relate to this, it would be nonsense to cite it as proof of a gender-related difference in your risk of dementia. For one thing – just a guess on my part – it could be that more educated women are less likely to be stay-at-home moms, and it’s well known that the well-educated and highly intelligent are less likely to get dementia.

Likewise it’s known that single moms have a whole raft of problems other women don’t have, and those problems are not on the XX chromosome.

There are many, many factors at work here.

And getting back to those stats about how two-thirds of Alzheimer’s patients are women and an elderly woman is more likely to get the disease than a male of the same age – again, we don’t know enough to jump to conclusions.

Men die younger for a variety of reasons, from heart disease to suicide to substance abuse. It could be that these other causes of death simply eliminate the men with dementia risk from the pool of possible dementia victims.

We don’t know enough. But the main discovery I mentioned above does after all point to a role for plaques and tangles, and if this turns out to be a distinct form of dementia, it appears women are more at risk of it.

Anyway women and men alike should take steps to prevent dementia. . .

Shrink the Risk of Alzheimer’s

One of the most important measures is to keep your weight down. Research shows that fat around the belly increases the danger of developing Alzheimer’s.4 And the scientists in Germany who examined how menopausal reductions in estradiol threaten a woman’s brain also noted that visceral fat around the waist does the same thing.

Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. A study in Ireland (along with plenty of other research) shows these foods help preserve your cognitive health.5

Plus – here’s my broken-record speech: Get plenty of sleep6 and daily exercise7 to keep your brain in good shape. All of these lifestyle factors boost your odds of keeping your wits about you.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
3 steps to beat skinflammation
I’ve been open about how eczema ravaged my skin when I was a teenager. Hidden year-round under long sleeve shirts, the skin on my arms felt like it was on fire!

At the time, I didn’t know that my red, itchy skin was an inflammatory response—the result of an overactive immune system. So it took many years, lots of research, and a diet transformation to help get my eczema under control.

Eczema is a manifestation of inflammation that’s triggered by allergies or irritants that your body perceives as threatening to your immune system.

The visible signs of inflammation are how your immune system SHOWS you there’s something wrong. Inflammation, in fact, is at the root of many other skin conditions, such as acne, psoriasis, and rashes.

To fight skinflammation and quiet your irritated skin, you’ll need a 360-degree approach that works from the inside of your cells as well as through skin’s outer surface layer.

Get started with this 3-step plan:

#1 Cut excess sugar and carbs
This was the most difficult step for me. At the peak of my battle with eczema, I was also a sugar addict who could not get enough of the sweet stuff. Back then, I was too young to understand the correlation.

But science indeed proves that excess sugar can trigger inflammation. One study alone shows that consuming 50 grams of sugar can cause C-reactive protein (CRP) to spike and remain high for over 2 hours.

(Have you ever found yourself halfway through a pint of ice cream? You ate about 50 grams of sugar without blinking.)

CRP levels are a marker of inflammation… and already run high in eczema sufferers!

It’s not only added sugar you should worry about. Carbohydrates get converted into glucose and other sugars. So, if you pair a starchy meal with a sugary dessert, you create the perfect environment for inflammation to thrive.

What if you don’t have eczema?

Sugar still triggers inflammation and the creation of AGEs (advanced glycation end products)… harmful compounds that can break down collagen and elastin—the proteins that maintains skin’s strength and structure.

For healthy skin all around, excess sugar should be avoided.

#2 Moisturize from the inside with good fats
Wholesome, nature-made fats are the antithesis of sugar. Consider them must-haves for smoother skin!

Monounsaturated fats from olive oil, omega-3s from fatty fish, and saturated fats from coconuts and grass-fed meat provide nutrients that support the structure and function of skin cells.

And if you have dry, problem skin, helping your cells work properly is key to restoring health and radiance.

Not all fats are equipped to take on the job, however.

Industrialized fats such as vegetable and corn oils, and trans-saturated fats are high in omega-6 fatty acids, which are known to INCREASE INFLAMMATION if consumed in excess.

For cooking, opt for olive oil, coconut oil, or avocado oil instead.

Also, there is one source of good fat that you may want to avoid if you struggle with eczema.

While dairy products like whole milk and butter include natural fats, they may trigger flare-ups in individuals who are sensitive or allergic to these foods.

#3 Soothe and nourish skin on the surface
Fighting skinflammation on the inside takes time. But when your skin is itchy and feels like it’s on fire, you want instant relief FAST!

Before you reach for your thick cream, ointment, or petroleum jelly, here’s a dirty secret that’ll make you think twice…

Most of these so-called skin soothers contain chemicals, preservatives, and even toxins that can make problem skin even worse!

When your skin is already screaming, do you really want to apply chemicals to it?

Try this instead…

Sweet Bee Magic — an organic, skin-soothing balm that’s unlike anything you’ve experienced before… because there’s nothing else like it!

It contains some of earth’s most powerful skin-healing substances… and they’re all found in a beehive:

• Propolis... contains flavonoids that are anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial, and promote skin renewal.
  • Honey… deeply moisturizing and comforting, it’s full of antioxidants and antibacterial properties.
  • Beeswax… this protective, anti-inflammatory substance helps seal moisture and fights irritation and dryness.
  • Bee pollen... it’s full of nutrients, antioxidants, and active ingredients that support the health of skin cells and help fight inflammation.
  • Royal jelly… research suggests it may boost cellular activity to speed up wound healing and may support skin collagen production.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I noticed I forgot my health thoughts for a couple days so I better do this now and maybe one later

Today's health thought:

Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One Article Two Posts

Sometimes We Say the Wrong Things
To a Friend or Loved One with Cancer

Nothing can make you tongue-tied faster than hearing from a friend or loved one that they’ve been diagnosed with cancer.

And to ease our own discomfort, we sometimes say things that may do more harm than good.

Here’s what I mean. . .

Cancer patients hear dozens of clueless comments tumble from the mouths of friends, colleagues, strangers, and even loved ones.

Since cancer is so common today, cancer etiquette is a skill set everyone can use - but most of us have never learned. You can count me among the awkward ones. I feel like I never know the right thing to say.

Studies show that cancer patients who receive strong emotional support from loved ones experience better treatment outcomes. So don’t sabotage those you care about with avoidable blunders.

Besides being present, here are three other overarching principles to get you started:

• Realize that each person’s pain is unique. Don’t super-impose another person’s struggle on them… like your sister who had cancer or another friend who went through a trying time.
  • THIS ONE IS REALLY IMPORTANT: Refrain from giving advice about symptoms or treatments unless the cancer patient asks for it. This is a tall order for those of us who believe in natural medicine. It’s frustrating to see people we love fail to take advantage of what’s available.
  • Never imply that their suffering is part of God’s master plan. Or – worse yet -- that it’s a direct result of their own choices, as in “their own mistakes.” It might be true – and believe me, the patient will be thinking about things she should have done differently, without any prompting from you. Don’t heap burning coals on her head.
Difficult things in life can’t always be explained. Cancer is very complex with multiple factors at play. And I can tell you from personal experience, a lot of people get cancer even though they’ve done everything right.

It really can happen to anyone

On July 1, 2019, The Atlantic ran a story about Kate Bowler – a young mom who had a great life, everything firing on all cylinders…

Until the fateful day when a physician’s assistant called her with news no one is ever prepared to hear.

The severe stomach pain Bowler had sought treatment for was actually stage 4 colon cancer – and she’d be lucky to make it through the next year.

Bowler was only 35… living her dream with a husband, a young son, and a job she absolutely loved.

She used to believe that bad things don’t happen to good people… and suffering always has a purpose.

With her cancer diagnosis, all of that went out the window. It’s normal to hope and expect that the best in life is yet to come. But how does it feel to think your best days might actually be behind you? And actually, there aren’t many days left?

Now that it’s been four years since her diagnosis, she gets scans every six months, continues treatments, and tries to savor every day.

She’s also speaking out about how you can best support those who are suffering.1

Start with this

Bowler says she had friends who simply disappeared after hearing her because they couldn’t emotionally handle her overwhelming problems.

The ones who stuck around often said things that made her feel sad, hurt, or angry…

Again and again she heard people say, “Everything happens for a reason.”

Even if, like many, you believe that’s true, keep it to yourself. It’s not helpful to someone who’s struggling to make sense of their suffering.

Bowler’s new memoir and podcast stemmed from her own awkward conversations – and from a deep-seated desire to help others navigate life’s darkest hours in ways that are supportive and beneficial.

Her memoir, Everything Happens for a Reason (And Other Lies I’ve Loved), is a frank, heartbreaking, and humorous account of learning to live without knowing what the future holds. Her podcast builds on the same themes.

What NOT to say

Some people make a habit of opening their mouth and inserting their foot. Some things are best left unsaid…

Here are some examples of what NOT to say:

• “You brought this on yourself.” Cancer patients are already pointing fingers. Don’t add to it. The last thing they need is more blame and shame. Stop lecturing, and listen instead. Besides, cancer is a complicated disease, and you’ll never know all the factors that played into it, so don’t pretend to. Almost nobody gets cancer because of just one cause, even smoking.
  • “I knew someone who had that type of cancer. They died.” Cancer survivor Fred Hutch says he heard this so many times after his diagnosis that it almost became a joke. No soldier at war wants to hear about casualties. Or other bad news. Put yourself in their shoes and ask, “Would I want to hear that?”
  • “What are your odds of survival?” Many cancer patients report being baffled when casual friends or even near-strangers ask about their prognosis. While this may be an appropriate question coming from a close loved one, it’s not for others to ask. The patient will tell you if he or she wants you to know AND feels up to talking about it. We’d all like to know, of course, so we can be supportive – and out of the less worthy motive of human curiosity. But especially if you’re just a friend or acquaintance, don’t ask.
  • “Best of luck on your journey!” Cancer patient Diane Mapes says hearing this made her want to pull her hair out, even though she was bald from chemo. She had the urge to tell these perky people, “Hey, I’m not going on a cruise to Acapulco.” The expression is pretty silly when you think about it. Your friend with cancer had better be really New-Agey before you wish that one on him.
  • Nothing. Cancer is full of surprises, and one of them is finding out who’s really got your back. Long-term friendships often dry up and blow away. Sure, cancer is scary. It’s hard to know what to say. But responding with silence creates a whole new level of pain.
  • “I know exactly how you feel.” No, you don’t. Even if you’ve battled cancer in the past, your experiences and perceptions may be different. Sharing your story (or your friend’s or relative’s) takes the focus away from the person standing in right of front of you who needs help. It makes the whole thing about you.. Instead, ask them what they’re feeling… and then listen.
  • “You look great.” This may be well intentioned, but it’s hardly ever helpful. The patient may feel awful regardless of what they look like. And if in fact they don’t look good, the compliment is phony and patronizing. And whatever you do, don’t say, “You’ve really lost weight” in an attempt to make them feel good. By and large, cancer patients don’t want to lose weight, they want to keep it on.
  • “God never gives you more than you can handle.” This comment is never as comforting as people hope it will be, so avoid it. I happen to think it’s true. . . but it’s between the patient and God to work it out.
One more thing…

Always assume your friend hears everything you say in their presence, even if he or she seems to be sleeping, dozing, or dazed. So don’t talk as if they’re not there when they’re right in front of you.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Part two

Conversations that encourage

When spoken from the heart, a simple “I’m so sorry” is perfectly fine when you first learn about their diagnosis.

Also nice to hear:

1. “I love you.”
  2. “I’m here for you.”
  3. “I hate this %!@ disease and I’m bringing chocolate over right now.” (I just hope it’s dark chocolate with no sugar. . .)
Here are some more suggestions…

• Discuss their favorite topics – things like sports, travel, pets, or spirituality. Hope and anticipation are powerful healers.
  • Ask them directly, “What’s the best way I can support you right now?”
  • Continue to ask for their advice or opinion on personal issues. This keeps the two of you engaged with one another and makes your friend or relative feel like an important part of your life.
  • Just hang out. Talk about “normal” stuff. It reestablishes some sense of normalcy and helps the patient engage in life beyond the treatment room.
  • Include the patient when you’re talking with others in the room.
  • Be willing to talk about cancer and even dying – but only if they bring it up.
  • Say “I’m here for you if you want to talk, but I respect that it could be a difficult time. Either way, I’m here for you.”
  • Realize that cancer leaves a long-term mark on people. Keep the conversation going, even when things seem like they’re “back to normal.” For them, it’ll never be the same old normal again.
Visiting dos and don’ts

Cancer can be isolating. Visits help patients feel like they did before cancer became the central focus of their life.

Be willing to simply hang out, especially if they’re tired. Take a book, crossword puzzle, or needlework, and keep them company while they doze or watch TV. Silence is fine, there’s no need to fill every moment with conversation.

Share music they enjoy. Watch a favorite movie or TV show together.

Offer to bring a snack or treat to share with them.

Read about topics your friend loves, then tell them what you learned.

Take a short walk with them if they’re up for it.

Give them hugs (and/or other physical displays of support and affection). Physical touch is crucial to emotional support.

Beyond talk… how to show love

Although it’s hard to know the right things to say, you may feel even more awkward trying to figure out how to actually help your friend or family member who has cancer.

Skip sweeping generalities along the lines of, “If there’s ever anything I can do to help, let me know.”

That puts the onus on the patient to think of something, and many (most) people won’t ask for help.

Instead, try suggesting one or more of the following action items. If the project is too big or long-term for you to tackle solo, organize a team to help.

• Make lunch or dinner one day a week. Ask about dietary restrictions – and what the patient feels like (or doesn’t feel like) eating.
  • Clean their home periodically. Or pool resources with others and hire a cleaning service for them.
  • Tend their lawn or garden.
  • Babysit or pet-sit.
  • Drive their children to sports practice or music lessons.
  • Run errands, return or pick up library books and movies, go to the post office, take the dog to the groomer or vet, or buy groceries.
  • Pick up supplements or meds.
  • Pick up friends or family members from the airport or hotel they’re staying at.
  • Take them to doctor appointments. Or travel with them to out-of-town treatments.
Small gifts (and notes) can lift spirits in a big way

Imagine how boring your friend’s days must be, more or less isolated from mainstream life. A laugh, a smile, or a small gift could lift their spirits tremendously.

Send brief notes or texts or have short phone conversations with them on a regular basis. Include silly graphics, cartoons, and other humorous tidbits.

If you give gifts, be sure to insist that thank you notes are not needed.

Here are some gift ideas, complements of the American Cancer Society.

• Silly socks
  • Fun (or funny!) hats or scarves
  • Silk pillowcases
  • Bright linens
  • Pajamas or robes
  • Special soaps or lotions (non-toxic)
  • Stamped postcards
  • Favorite foods/snacks
  • Massage devices or services
  • Pictures of friends
  • CDs or downloads of soothing music
  • Funny movies
  • Journals or notebooks
  • Audio books
My only editorial comment on this list is that you want to take into account the friend’s gender and their taste in music, movies, etc. Silly hats and socks would not be to my taste. . .

What if they want to talk about death?

Death is probably the one and only topic that’s scarier than cancer, making it understandably uncomfortable. Here are some tips from the American Cancer Society on dealing with this sensitive subject…

Late-stage cancer patients may feel lonely even when they’re with people. They may pull away and withdraw. Don’t take it personally. Stay in the background, be there for them.

Listen to their concerns. They may be anxious about what will happen to their loved ones once they’re gone. They may express regret.

They may ask, “Why is this happening to me?” – a hard question, because there’s no good answer. The only honest response is “I don’t know.”

Hold their hand. Let them cry and express sadness or regrets. Share their pain.

It can be helpful to have a hospice professional present during late and terminal stages of cancer. They’re experts at answering questions that often arise at the end of a person’s life. But be aware that the drugs they administer can impede healing and hasten death.

There’s no getting around the difficulties and challenges of this disease, so encouraging your suffering friend or loved one is important. Incorporate this advice to ensure you do it well and don’t sabotage your efforts. And know that you made a positive difference in their life by how you supported them.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Today, I've got an aromatic and revitalizing tea recipe to share with you. You can whip it up in minutes, and all the ingredients are readily available at most grocery stores.

The star of this herbal tea is holy basil.

In Ayurvedic medicine, holy basil is classified as a Rasayana, or an herb that promotes overall health and boosts one’s longevity. For three thousand years, tea from this herb has been prepared daily and is believed to help balance the chakras, or energy centers in the body.

Known as tulsi in India, holy basil is referred to as the “elixir of life” and can be found growing around the most revered Hindu shrines and temples. Energizing and delicious, this fix-all has found its way into many surrounding cultures, including those of Southeast Asia and the Middle East.

The herb has withstood the scrutiny of science as well. Holy basil is rich in antioxidants, is extremely detoxifying, regulates the adrenal system making it an effective anti-stress tonic, and possesses unusually high levels of the essential fatty acid, alpha-linolenic acid, which is a proven anti-inflammatory.

Long story short, holy basil is good for you!

Holy Basil Tea Recipe

Ingredients:

• 1 cup water
  • ¼ tsp fennel seeds
  • ¼ tsp cumin
  • ½ tsp cloves
  • ⅓ tsp green cardamom, crushed
  • 1-2 tsp of tulsi (holy basil)
  • Wild honey to taste
Preparation

• Put all ingredients in a small pot and simmer for 20 minutes.
  • Strain into a mug or cup and enjoy.
This tea can be enjoyed hot or iced, so you can harness the healing power of holy basil all year round!

A little secret: in our house, we love adding a little oat milk or almond milk to this brew, after the tea has steeped. It's so good!

Stay curious,

VU Sponsors