Become a Patron!

Jimi's Daily Health Articles

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Jimi,

From a very young age, most of us are taught that the only approach to healing our bodies is through modern medicine.

And even in medical school, topics like nutrition and Functional Medicine are considered “fringe”—these are areas of study that can be life-saving—and they are barely touched on, if even at all.

But thousands of studies are now showing that many alternative medicines and therapies hold incredible potential for the majority of chronic health conditions we suffer from.

That’s why I’m excited to tell you about a new 9-part documentary series called PROVEN: Healing Breakthroughs Backed By Science, that’s airing June 2nd through the 10th—and it’s completely free.

We have to be our own health detectives and stay open to the constantly evolving research. We need to know that what’s right for one person may not be right for us. PROVEN shares all the latest science in complementary medicine to empower you and help you take charge of your own health.

I am honored to be a featured guest in PROVEN, along with some of the experts in integrative wellness that I’ve had in my own docu-series’, like Dr. Afrouz Demeri, Dr. Tom O’Bryan, Pedram Shojai, Ocean Robbins, Dr. Titus Chiu, and others.

Throughout the series, you’ll learn:

• How to rise above anxiety, stress, and emotional trauma holistically
  • Why stealth infections may be silently sabotaging your health and how to strengthen your immune defenses
  • The latest science in neuroplasticity, growing new brain cells, and what this means for restoring your brain function
  • How to balance all things related to gut health, inflammation, and autoimmune disease
  • Simple ways to prevent heart disease
  • Time-tested, drug-free pain management techniques
  • Cancer-protective lifestyle hacks
  • The key to hormonal balance and reproductive health
  • And so much more!
There are so many amazing resources for healing, prevention, and creating optimal health available at our fingertips that don’t involve drugs, surgeries, or other invasive measures. We just have to learn how to use them.

Click right here to watch the trailer and learn how to take back your health.

Whether you are struggling with a chronic health condition, want to improve your mood or brain function, or you simply want to feel younger, this series has something for everyone. I really hope you’ll check it out.

You can click here to sign up for free.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Acella Pharmaceuticals, LLC Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Certain Lots of NP Thyroid® (Thyroid Tablets, USP) Due to Super Potency
When a company announces a recall, market withdrawal, or safety alert, the FDA posts the company's announcement as a public service. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.

Read Announcement View Product Photos

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We have sprouting seeds for broccoli, kohlrabi and radicchio - I picked broccoli for first try because the sprouts extra extra nutritious

This is the first I've done since moving, we'll see how it goes :)
I love sprouts, tried to order seed from my usual place, Pinetree seeds, and they weren't taking orders because they were so back up on orders:facepalm:. Where do you get your seeds from Lucy?

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I love sprouts, tried to order seed from my usual place, Pinetree seeds, and they weren't taking orders because they were so back up on orders:facepalm:. Where do you get your seeds from Lucy?

I love Johnny's, but last I looked they had suspended sales to the public and were only doing commercial accounts due to Covid also

Victory Seeds are great for heirlooms, but they had a back order of three weeks or longer

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I love Johnny's, but last I looked they had suspended sales to the public and were only doing commercial accounts due to Covid also

Victory Seeds are great for heirlooms, but they had a back order of three weeks or longer
Seems like everywhere is holding up because of covid:rolleyes:, don't make sense this is when people need that extra boost of nutrition:facepalm:. It's kinda like a government plot:eek::eek:
Pinetree has a pretty good price on their sprouting seeds:)

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Seems like everywhere is holding up because of covid:rolleyes:, don't make sense this is when people need that extra boost of nutrition:facepalm:. It's kinda like a government plot:eek::eek:
Pinetree has a pretty good price on their sprouting seeds:)

Demand went through the roof after lockdowns and what have you

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just checked and pinetree is back up and running, but out of broccoli sprouting seeds:(, they do have several others though. I like the salad mix too in the sprouting seeds, those are out too:facepalm:. i think I am gonna try a half pound of Daikon radish seeds and maybe a half of alfalfa seed, have you ever tried those? might get some mung bean too.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't know how anyone feels about signing petitions, but hope you will consider signing this one.

I personally don't want to be forced to take a vaccine, so I thought maybe some of you don't want to either. It's up to us citizens to keep freedom of choice free.

Scroll down to read it.
https://standforhealthfreedom....no-forced-coronavirus-vaccine/

Thank you for taking your time and consideration on this. (hope the link works. It should)

Sent from....Somewhere on Tapatalk

Hmm, Safari said it couldn’t open it. I’ll try again later. :hug:

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
So, Jimi said it would be okay to post this here - a demo on how to germinate sprouts at home on the cheap!

Broccoli sprouts are what's on the menu for this

Take a clear plastic container that something else came in and soak the seeds for 8-12 hours. Drain, and then rinse with fresh water twice daily until they reach the size you want. The package of seeds says it will take 7-10 days for these to sprout

I've never done broccoli before, but have done lots of other seeds, so we will see

View attachment 162160

Thank you, Lucy. You rock!! :hug::hug:

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
We have sprouting seeds for broccoli, kohlrabi and radicchio - I picked broccoli for first try because the sprouts extra extra nutritious

This is the first I've done since moving, we'll see how it goes :)

Ooh, I’m so interested in this. Please let us know!!

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Jimi, I mentioned the movies I watched about plant based diet. (PBWF) Anyways, here’s the website addy. Forksoverknives dot com.

You’ll love it and you can watch the film there, afaik.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I just checked and pinetree is back up and running, but out of broccoli sprouting seeds:(, they do have several others though. I like the salad mix too in the sprouting seeds, those are out too:facepalm:. i think I am gonna try a half pound of Daikon radish seeds and maybe a half of alfalfa seed, have you ever tried those? might get some mung bean too.

Alfalfa and mung are super easy, but I no longer eat grains or legumes, so have not sprouted any in years

We have some daikon seeds to try to grow, but have not actually planted any yet; just don't have enough for sprouts

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Jimi, I mentioned the movies I watched about plant based diet. (PBWF) Anyways, here’s the website addy. Forksoverknives dot com.

You’ll love it and you can watch the film there, afaik.
Great thank you my friend

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Alfalfa and mung are super easy, but I no longer eat grains or legumes, so have not sprouted any in years

We have some daikon seeds to try to grow, but have not actually planted any yet; just don't have enough for sprouts
I am gonna try the Radish sprouts, they are about 7.50 for a quarter pound, not too bad:)

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Jimi,

Otzi the iceman died about 5,300 years ago.

Maybe you read about him. His well-preserved mummified body was discovered in the Italian Alps in 1991...

Researchers who’ve studied Otzi’s body found two types of fungus in his digestive tract and in what they call his “first aid kit.”

These medical mushrooms were reportedly used as a laxative, antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, and treatment for parasites (which Otzi had in abundance).

So as you can see, using plants as medicine is not some new, trendy thing…

Even today, according to The World Health Organization…

Two billion people still depend on medicinal plants as their primary treatment option.

Over 100 species of plants have been used to manage diabetes in Central America alone, according to Kew Gardens in London, which houses the most extensive botanical collection in the world.

And the Yanomami Indian tribe of Brazil is described as using at least 113 species of plants and fungi medicinally...

So, why don’t we hear more about natural medicines now — in our so-called “modern” part of the world?

The answer: Big Pharma.

Pharmaceutical companies can't typically patent commonly used plants.

But they can develop patented, proprietary synthetic drugs, which translates to billions of dollars in profits per drug...

I believe you have a right to know about safe, effective, and inexpensive plant-based natural medicines.

So in my brand-new eBook (that you can pick up at no cost), I cover some important information to help you out.

>> Download: Natural Herbs to Revolutionize Your Health & Combat Chronic Disease <= It’s completely FR.EE!

Here are just a few things you’ll discover:

• Top herbs and nutrients to boost immune, heart, and brain health…
  • The little-known culprit behind nearly all common chronic health issues…
  • 3 reasons why you need to detoxify your lymphatic system liver, colon, and other organs…
  • How you can prevent dementia and Alzheimer’s disease naturally…
  • And much more…

>> Download: Natural Herbs to Revolutionize Your Health & Combat Chronic Disease <= It’s completely F.REE

This is truly life-changing — and potentially life-saving — information you won’t want to miss.

And please forward this email to your friends and loved ones who also suffer from chronic health issues. They deserve a vibrant, healthy life, too.

To your future,

Jonathan Otto
Host and Producer, Natural Medicine Secrets

P.S When you download your eBook, you’ll also get a F.REE PASS to the world premiere of Natural Medicine Secrets. Featuring over 9 hours of exclusive new content about healing plants, spices, supplements, and vitamins, this groundbreaking docu-series uncovers the best natural remedies and dietary choices to help you prevent and recover from chronic disease — achieved through natural compounds instead of synthetic and potentially dangerous pharmaceutical drugs. Don’t miss it — Click here for your eBook and to reserve your seat for Natural Medicine Secrets.

mail

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Jimi

Dr. Osborne here,

Join me next week for The Immune Defense Summit, a free and online event!

WHY ATTEND? Jonathan Landsman has gathered 39 of the world's top experts in integrative medicine (including myself), and science, to discuss the strengthening of your immune system to help protect from all types of diseases, viruses, common pathogens and drug-resistant "superbugs." The Immune Defense Summit will help you learn more about:

• Infectious disease solutions (without toxic drugs!)
  • Latest advances in immune protective protocols
  • How to stop the threat of colds, flu and pneumonia
  • Alarming vaccine news (and safe alternatives!)
  • Strategies to reverse disease symptoms at the root cause
I'll see you online at The Immune Defense Summit, June 8-14, 2020, when you register today!

Always looking out for you,

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Ooh, I’m so interested in this. Please let us know!!

I poked holes in the bottom of the container to drain the water after soaking the seeds all day, and set it inside another container of the same size

This makes the twice daily rinse easy - just add water, then empty from the second container

This one is going outside, though I have done this indoors in the kitchen many many many times

The glass jar with cloth lid method works great too, but I don't have very many glass jars right nowIMG_1524.jpeg

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

I used to get a mung and alfalfa and something else sprout mix from a local Korean produce store years ago. He had fresh tofu, and just great fresh stuff. He went out of business, which bummed me out.

I was looking at micro green mixes of seeds. Is @$20 normal for 1/2 lb? Or is it inflated corona pricing?

I watched a few vids about plant based diet and I realized that I can get protein from it, and that I don’t need dairy or eggs. I used to eat PBWF without thinking about it. It was just what felt right to eat. I have to get back to that.

Hugs to you and aloha to Mr. Juicy and the chickens.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I poked holes in the bottom of the container to drain the water after soaking the seeds all day, and set it inside another container of the same size

This makes the twice daily rinse easy - just add water, then empty from the second container

This one is going outside, though I have done this indoors in the kitchen many many many times

The glass jar with cloth lid method works great too, but I don't have very many glass jars right nowView attachment 162184

Thanks! I’ll have to get some plastic containers. Stir frying sprouts, veggies and tofu used to be my favorite meal. I’m not sure if the soy would be good for me (or anyone) now but I used to like it. I felt great when I was eating a plant based diet. I’m not sure why I stopped. Unless it’s because my hubs likes chicken, eggs and stuff like that. :facepalm:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I’m not sure if the soy would be good for me (or anyone) now but I used to like it.

Try coconut aminos - it is an excellent sub for soy sauce and very healthy

I was looking at micro green mixes of seeds. Is @$20 normal for 1/2 lb? Or is it inflated corona pricing?

$20 isn't bad for half a pound, but that is a buttload of seeds

Think about how light sprouts are, half a pound is a humongous amount

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Try coconut aminos - it is an excellent sub for soy sauce and very healthy

$20 isn't bad for half a pound, but that is a buttload of seeds

Think about how light sprouts are, half a pound is a humongous amount

You’re right, I looked and it’s 25,000 seeds!!! So I’ll hopefully find something like 1,000 seeds? Who knows, I have to find a way to sprout them. My apartment is teeny.

I never tried coconut aminos. I tried “nooch” (nutritional yeast) and I really disliked it. So I didn’t trust any of this stuff. I’ll give it a try, though. Soy sauce is so salty anyway.

Howdy and aloha.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Yep went thru a different aisle than usual at Wally World looking for a counter top convection oven/air fryer. Had only displays. And NONE of the seal a meal machines or bags. Microwaves were scarce...
People are eating at home now that basically did most of their eating out I think.
And Corona virus victory gardens I suppose.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Yep went thru a different aisle than usual at Wally World looking for a counter top convection oven/air fryer. Had only displays. And NONE of the seal a meal machines or bags. Microwaves were scarce...
People are eating at home now that basically did most of their eating out I think.
And Corona virus victory gardens I suppose.

When this thing first hit, seeds, bagged soil and chicken food, cat litter, almost all pet foods disappeared off the shelves immediately

It took a couple of weeks for toilet paper, paper towels and santizier to become scarce, but once it did, it still hasn't rebounded very well

Butter, flour, milk, potatoes also became scarce here, almost impossible to find as a matter of fact

Now it appears that only best selling shit is coming back on the shelves; for instance, Mr J wanted some bread and butter pickles, and there was a whole shelf of only dill, every brand, chips, whole, half, stackers, spears, but only dill, lol

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks! I’ll have to get some plastic containers. Stir frying sprouts, veggies and tofu used to be my favorite meal. I’m not sure if the soy would be good for me (or anyone) now but I used to like it. I felt great when I was eating a plant based diet. I’m not sure why I stopped. Unless it’s because my hubs likes chicken, eggs and stuff like that. :facepalm:
Yes that tofu is full of GMO's, absolutely not good for human consumption;)

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Jimi,

Have you experienced painful relationship difficulties, had financial stress, or experienced a lack of love as a child?

Or perhaps you have struggled with chronic illness, or you have experienced the loss of a loved one. If so, you likely have been impacted by trauma.
Early life stress, and unresolved emotional trauma, is the number one most underexposed risk factor for chronic complex illness today.

A staggering 67% of all adults report they have experienced it, it leads to a dramatic increased risk in 7 out of the top 10 causes of death and a 20-year reduction in lifespan.

But, the psychological, neurological and biochemical impact of early life stress and trauma can be reversed. We can heal.

That’s why I’m delighted to invite you to join me on the Trauma and Mind Body Super Conference, where over 90 world leading experts will share the most radically comprehensive roadmap to optimum mental health and wellbeing in existence today.

Register your FREE spot here today!

The event is completely FREE to join, and is set to be one of the MOST watched health events of the year.

I think we are all experiencing some “trauma” from the COVID-19 stay home orders and non-stop negative messaging from the media. There have been very restrictive orders coming down from governors across the USA and the mantra of “science and data” is misused to put forward only the scariest and often distorted or manipulated data that thus justifies the oppressive recommendations.

My recommendation:
1. Get outdoors into nature without a mask. Breathe the fresh air.
2. Continue all forms of self-care including good nutrition, exercise and sleep
3. Take extra vitamin D3 (5,000 IU for adults daily) and 500 – 1000 mg Vitamin C daily
4. Sign up for this free summit that will empower you with WHAT TO DO

The Summit starts June 29th . And is free if you sign up now and watch it as it rolls out. You will have the option to purchase it if you want to own it and refer to it as often and when you like.

I’m one of the many top-notch speakers. include Professor Bessel van der Kolk, Dr Stephen Porges, Dr Kelly Brogan, Dr Peter Levine, Dr Jeff Bland, Ken Wilber, Dr Rollin McCraty, Dr Joe Mercola, Dr Gabor Mate, Nick Ortner, Dr Datis Kharrazian, Dr Joe Dispenza, Dr Gerald Pollack, Dr Isabella Wentz, Dr Christiane Northrup, Dr Judith Orloff, Dr William Walsh, Dr James Oschman, Dr Hyla Cass, D Tom O’Bryan, Dr Dietrich Klinghardt, Dr Aristo Vojdani, Caroline Myss, Lynne McTaggart, Dr Ben Lynch, Dr Lissa Rankin, Trudy Scott and many others.

Register your FREE spot here today!

To Your Health,

Dr. Paul

P.S: Register today and get IMMEDIATE free access to interviews with world leading trauma expert Dr Bessel van der Kolk, the Food Mood Expert Trudy Scott, and best-selling author and addiction specialist

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How Not to Overeat When Stuck at Home

Actor Jared Leto gained 67 pounds to play Mark Chapman in the movie "Chapter 27." He did it to embody his character and earn a hefty paycheck — and then lost the weight afterward.

But if you're working at home just a few feet from the fridge and/or stress eating to make yourself feel better about social distancing, you don't have such an excuse.

And you're risking permanent weight gain, chronic health problems, and increased risk for infection with every couple pounds you pack on.

If you add 10 pounds, inflammation increases. And that, according researchers from Cornell University, can reduce the number of taste buds on the tongue, making you eat more to get flavor satisfaction.

That increases inflammation, upping your risk for infection, depression, gastrointestinal problems, and some cancers.

Another study found that inflammation alters gene expression, increasing your risk for Type 2 diabetes.

So how can you stop yourself from eating more than usual?

• Establish a routine. Write out a schedule of when you eat breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, and dinner. Post it on the fridge and stick to it, no in-between-times nibbling.

• Plan your meals. Start with two to four servings of veggies and at least one of fruit for lunch (your largest meal) and dinner. Whole grains, low-fat dairy, or no-added-sugar nut milk and berries for breakfast, or skip it. Then get those foods in the house and cook on. This is especially helpful now that going to the grocery store or getting a delivery is something you don't want to do too often.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Jimi,

Inflammation is one of the most common words thrown around within health circles.

But the term is so ambiguous to so many people that not everyone knows what it truly means!

To shed light on this oft-misdiagnosed yet increasingly-pervasive condition, we interviewed functional medicine practitioner Dr. Will Cole.

For the past 11 years, Dr. Cole has been seeing patients with various autoimmune and inflammatory conditions.

He detailed everything he knows about this in his new book, The Inflammation Spectrum. For this interview, however, he was so generous in breaking down all things inflammation, including:

• What is inflammation, including the “good” and “bad” kinds of inflammation
  • Why we’re seeing a rise in autoimmune disorders in the past 3 decades
  • The big problem with diagnosing autoimmune issues today like Addison’s disease, multiple sclerosis, celiac, and ulcerative colitis (this was upsetting!)
  • A free quiz that you can take to figure out where in the autoimmune spectrum you are (including inflammation symptoms you may not even be aware of)
  • The genetic component that makes us more susceptible to disease vs our ancestors
  • Why some foods trigger autoimmune disorders in some people while it’s okay for other people
  • The four foods that most likely trigger inflammation in most people (and the science behind gluten and dairy)
  • What’s wrong with today’s conventional healthcare system and why so many people with autoimmune diseases are misdiagnosed
  • A patient’s real-life case study, tests, anti-inflammatory diet, and how she got better (watch how Dr. Cole interprets this patient’s lab results)
  • What you can do today if reducing inflammation feels impossible to do

I, too, have been in this gruelling process of (mis)diagnosing and treating my own autoimmune disorder.

And back then, resources like Dr. Cole’s helped me figure out what was wrong with me.

This topic is near and dear to my heart and I hope this interview will give you the answers you’re looking for.

Watch Episode 9 of The Goodness Lover Vodcast here.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No time to Read? Grab Lloyd Burrell's 10-page eGuide, 5 Simple Ways to Protect Yourself from Cell Phone Radiation and learn practical steps to safeguard your health and protect yourself from EMFs!

--->>Learn the steps you can take to protect yourself when you download this complimentary Guide!

Cell phones emit radio-frequency radiation, a type of electromagnetic field or EMF. These EMFs impact our health in powerful ways. They have adverse biological effects on our cells and the health of our cells.

It's serious stuff, and it's all around us.

While we can't live in a bubble, there is much we can do to protect ourselves and our children from the damaging electromagnetic fields.

I just spent over an hour with Lloyd, quizzing him about the best ways to protect my practice members from these dangerous frequencies. Lloyd has spent over 10 years researching to understand the science, discovering what EMF's were doing to his body and learning how to deal with EMFs.

In this 10-page eGuide, he shares the simple changes you can make today -- by learning concrete and practical steps to safeguard your health and protect yourself from cell phone radiation.

--->>Gain IMMEDIATE ACCESS to the 10-page, 5 Simple Ways to Protect Yourself from Cell Phone Radiation eGuide now!

When you unlock this gift, you'll also reserve a seat for the free, online 5G Summit happening this week! Tune in to hear all about EMF and 5G dangers and how to implement better solutions in your community!

You can truly get started on better health today!

Virtual Hugs,

Dr. Michelle

P.S. We depend on the internet and our phones more than ever before during these times. We are working and schooling from home, so going without cell phones and internet is not an option. Luckily, there are some practical tips you can employ while still staying connected :)

Grab the free guide here

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The Green History of Pandemic Responses

You know the facts – historical unemployment rates, a tumbling economy, swathes of people forced out of bars and restaurants and into outdoor spaces (many who are disregarding safety regulations).

We’re not here to talk about that.

We’re here to meditate on solutions, learn from the wisdom of the conservationists who came before us, and make the conscious, deliberate choice to see the world through a lens of possibilities rather than through the tint of our failures.

From Rachel Carson’s efforts to expose the harmful effects of DDT and to activate the government’s regulatory actions, to the individual activism spurred by environmental campaigns in the ‘90s, humanity has been marked by its desire to take care of each other and the planet.

Reading headlines and catching up on EPA rollbacks, it can be hard to remember that.

But the truth is, pandemics have actually paved the way for the implementation of green spaces in urban environments, and we’ve responded to economic uncertainty in the past by reframing our focus.

Instead of living and dying by the Dow, we turned toward nature and thought how we could best use our ambition and drive – from the Conversation Corps to community gardens.

The world is going to look a little differently when the immediate threat of Covid-19 is dissipated…

But how?

Pandemics and Green Spaces

2020’s shutdown is hardly the first time in the history of America, let alone the whole world, that populations have been ravaged by infectious disease. It may just be the first time in living memory we’ve had to deal with tragedy on such a scale.

For example, the 19th century saw quite a few cholera outbreaks. They were always devastating, and largely blamed on “miasma”, or fetid air that rose from rotting organic material.

There were no underground water filtration systems, roads weren’t paved, and filth piled up.

Frederick Law Olmsted believed outbreaks were because there weren’t enough parks to be “outlets for foul air and inlets for pure air.”

He designed Central Park in New York City after its second cholera outbreak in the 19th century, and then designed hundreds more parks all across America, desperate to give America green relief from the clogged and infected air it had been breathing.

In London, the “Great Stink” of 1858 so fouled the Thames river that walking outside was impossible. The sewage responsible for the stink was the same responsible for London’s recent cholera outbreak.

But it spurred the construction of a new sewage system, and embankments for the river lined with parks, trees, gardens, and greens.

After the cholera outbreak during Napoleon III's rise to power in the mid 19th century, he suggested modeling the city after London. He wanted the “working class quarters” to be light and airy. Some 12,000 buildings in the city were replaced with parks and walkways, fountains and green boulevards.

And when the Spanish Flu decimated the global population in 1918… and again in 1919… we hit a powerful economic stride in America.

Which led to the stock market crash and the Great Depression.

Which led to…

The Civilian Conservation Corps

In 1933, President Roosevelt had his hands full. But he had fixated on a concern that runs parallel to ours today.

In April 2020, 27% of the workforce under the age of 24 was out of a job. Roosevelt too was looking at a generation of people who may never recover from not only the giant hole in their resumes, so to speak, but from the inability to compound their earnings over time.

So he created the C.C.C., to give those out-of-work men a job while also restoring forests, building parks, and setting up trail and road infrastructure.

It worked pretty well… in less than 10 years, more than three billion trees were planted by more than three million men (women weren’t allowed, unfortunately).

Given that our current environmental situation is precarious at best, and destructive at worst…

Building green spaces back into areas bulldozed by chemicals and pesticides, city pollution, and rusting infrastructure solves myriad problems. Especially amid the fears of returning to stuffy office buildings and cramped indoor working spaces when the world returns to “normal.”

It would…

• Bend us away from the long-growing human trend toward avoiding the outdoors. Throughout the human presence on Earth, we’ve done the most we can to make the inside as comfortable as possible – regulating the indoor climate, developing the internet, etc. Now, we’re all Vitamin D deficient and we get winded climbing a hill.

• Encourage working with our hands to enact actual change. The trees planted through a C.C.C. revival would serve to absorb carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, assisting in the return of the Earth to a more self-regulatory system.

• Boost the economy by creating hordes of jobs, and curate a populus more educated about our race’s effect on nature.

• Serve to tackle the huge backlog of restoration, conservation, conversion, rehabilitation, maintenance, and protection initiatives that is not currently prioritized.

Maybe this won’t happen.

Maybe the government won’t take charge.

But you can… just by reading and thinking and applying your new knowledge to your own life, you can turn your local tide, and so alter the direction of the dial even a fraction of a degree.

VU Sponsors