Become a Patron!

iStick 50w

ColeGirl1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My Vape Mail finally arrived! Out with the old (1st photo); in with the new. I can taste my juices now.
e23e1d2c40fddaaf8dc9f53c48f16e1a.jpg

c6816d24a202952fb6229368176eabcd.jpg

* vaping since September 2014 in NY state *

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm curious: I played with a colleague's 50W iStick yesterday, and the ohmmeter on his device was jumping all over the place: it'd show 0.9 ohm, then 1.3, then 1.0... after each firing. Is this normal on this device? It looked messed up.

ColeGirl1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm curious: I played with a colleague's 50W iStick yesterday, and the ohmmeter on his device was jumping all over the place: it'd show 0.9 ohm, then 1.3, then 1.0... after each firing. Is this normal on this device? It looked messed up.<br/>

Mine is functioning normally, right out of the box, 14 hours of use.

HDMontana

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm curious: I played with a colleague's 50W iStick yesterday, and the ohmmeter on his device was jumping all over the place: it'd show 0.9 ohm, then 1.3, then 1.0... after each firing. Is this normal on this device? It looked messed up.
No, I don't believe that is normal. Maybe a loose connection on the coil or tank needs tightened down a little. Mine stays at the same ohms.

HD

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nope. Mine's rock solid. If it does it with more than that particular atomizer it's defective.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried with my RDA (which I know works perfecly), with his RDA (onto which I had just redone the build myself) and with his tank. Same thing.
I'll tell him he might want to return it on Monday. I reckon he won't be too happy none...

Tripster

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried with my RDA (which I know works perfecly), with his RDA (onto which I had just redone the build myself) and with his tank. Same thing.
I'll tell him he might want to return it on Monday. I reckon he won't be too happy none...

Replying to myself here, but...

So I told my colleague he should return his device to get a stable ohmmeter. He said " Oh, no worries, it's all taken care of: I unscrewed the atty, wrapped the mod in a T-shirt, and slammed it hard on my desk. Problem solved."

That's one way of doing it I guess :)

Tripster

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Replying to myself here, but...

So I told my colleague he should return his device to get a stable ohmmeter. He said " Oh, no worries, it's all taken care of: I unscrewed the atty, wrapped the mod in a T-shirt, and slammed it hard on my desk. Problem solved."

That's one way of doing it I guess :)

lol!

Tripster

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just totally realized that the trigger in the iStick is literally like a 2 Stage Trigger in an AR15...well, mine is basically a 2 Stage Trigger.

Interesting and kinda dig it even though it also depends on how I press the trigger.

ColeGirl1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Speaking of the iStick trigger...
I've been using my iStick50 for three days now (first iStick I've had) and I'm realizing the trigger is in the *middle* under the button. But the button rocks side-to-side, so if my thumb moves at all while I'm vaping, that's when the trigger fails, because the button rocks off of the trigger.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I dunno.. Not having any trouble with mine. I can press just a corner on the button and it fires..

lefty23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and I could really use someone to bail me out. I've been vaping since May 2013 and I just got an istick 50w today. I absolutely loved the thing and know I will again but there's one major hump. It won't let me go under a certain voltage based on the resistance, and in this case with this liquid that is too high. Is there any way to disable or bypass this feature or something? I am in desperate need of advice, thanks in advance.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If your topper is rebuildable, increase the resistance. To my knowledge, the iStick does boost but not buck.

lefty23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nah, I'm using mostly Protanks, I just can't find any info at all about not being able to lower the voltage past a certain point or why. I mean, I can see how it could be helpful, but it's the kind of thing you should be able to turn off or something. I mean I put new coils in these tanks and now the liquid tastes so burnt every time I hit it I stopped using it.

lefty23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have even tried to trick it; I put a 2.2ohm tank on, locked the up/down keys, then put a 2.5ohm tank on and it automatically raises the voltage every time. Even with the lock on. Again, for most of my tanks and flavors it's fine, but I have 2 protanks with brand new coils in them and when I hit them at the minimum allowed voltage they taste burnt. Why would it limit how low the voltage can go? It is driving me nuts

Tripster

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have even tried to trick it; I put a 2.2ohm tank on, locked the up/down keys, then put a 2.5ohm tank on and it automatically raises the voltage every time. Even with the lock on. Again, for most of my tanks and flavors it's fine, but I have 2 protanks with brand new coils in them and when I hit them at the minimum allowed voltage they taste burnt. Why would it limit how low the voltage can go? It is driving me nuts

Sounds like you got a lemon unfortunately.

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and I could really use someone to bail me out. I've been vaping since May 2013 and I just got an istick 50w today. I absolutely loved the thing and know I will again but there's one major hump. It won't let me go under a certain voltage based on the resistance, and in this case with this liquid that is too high. Is there any way to disable or bypass this feature or something? I am in desperate need of advice, thanks in advance.

It has watttage limits and voltage limits, and has to stay within both. With 2.5 ohms, the lower limit is 5W, and therefore the voltage won't go lower than about 3.5V. You don't say the voltage, but it sounds like it's working roughly OK. 5W ought to be low enough for a protank not to taste burnt - it's less than a freshly charged ego batt, even a regulated one.

The coils could be bad. Out of the box I've found many Kanger protank single coils to have hotspots, needing a bit of tweaking to get them working OK. (I haven't used the dual coils). Do they still taste burnt on another mod?

lefty23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I really appreciate your advice, Hermit. I replaced the coils and they seem to taste fine now, it was just strange because they were both brand new. Not only that, but I have never owned an APV before that had a minimum voltage/wattage and was just confused as to the benefits of such a feature. There are obvious risks to using too much juice, but too little? Anyway, problem solved thanks to the help from all of you. I absolutely love everything about this device, it has replaced my ego style twist for work or going out, and is even better than my Tesla for at home, this thing has everything and more that I would ask from a mod. You guys have been friendly and helpful and I'm glad to be a part of this community. Vape on.

CosmicVapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Mephisto v2 clone at .5 single coil. Decent I guess at 30w

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I really appreciate your advice, Hermit. I replaced the coils and they seem to taste fine now, it was just strange because they were both brand new. Not only that, but I have never owned an APV before that had a minimum voltage/wattage and was just confused as to the benefits of such a feature. There are obvious risks to using too much juice, but too little? Anyway, problem solved thanks to the help from all of you. I absolutely love everything about this device, it has replaced my ego style twist for work or going out, and is even better than my Tesla for at home, this thing has everything and more that I would ask from a mod. You guys have been friendly and helpful and I'm glad to be a part of this community. Vape on.
all devices have minimum wattage and voltage, istick is just pretty clear about it display wise

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There are obvious risks to using too much juice, but too little? .

Yeah, sounds like your coils. I'm just curious, what "obvious risks to using too much juice" do you mean health wise? Or just that you will go through more juice if it is firing too high? I usually vape my 1.8-2.0 ohm protank coils at 4.2V. Do you have an airflow control on yours? I found that adding the V3 airflow control to mine let me run it at higher temperatures comfortably because the increased airflow keeps that coil a bit cooler.

Good luck and vape on!

lefty23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry, I guess that was misleading. By juice I meant power, not actually ejuice; poor choice of words on my part. And as far as minimum and maximum voltage/wattage, I realize that all devices have mins and maxes, but I'm talking about per specific tank. For example, the min/max for the istick 50w is stated as 2V-10V, which is cool, more than a big enough range for my needs. But the issue I'm talking about is that range shrinking drastically based on the topper I'm using. For instance, in one of my protanks I have a 2.2ohm coil in it, and when I attach it, the voltage level jumps to 3.3V (if it was previously lower) and locks in there. I can raise the voltage from there, but can't lower it. Likewise, if I then remove that and screw in my tank with a 2.5ohm coil, the voltage automatically jumps to 3.6V (even if the lock setting is in place) and cannot be lowered beyond that. This is the case with every tank I put on there, based on the resistance, the device picks a minimum voltage that I can't go lower than. I just find this extremely strange, and though my experience with APVs is fairly limited (mostly a few older versions of Vamos and a few Teslas) I have never witnessed or heard of such a thing.

lefty23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh, and as far as the airflow control, I have been meaning to pick one or two up, but I'm still using mostly original protanks (the first model) so parts are kind of hard to come by.

lefty23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, that's something I have never really delved into, I always stick to the VV mode in my mods. I only experimented with VW once, and it was with my first APV (a Vamo first model, I believe, and only shortly after I had purchased it) and my experience was not great. Of course, I was still very very new to all of this at the time, and I know a lot of experienced vapers prefer the VW mode. I'll have to delve a bit deeper into all of that.

wildcoy73

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
5 watts or 2 volts wich ever one it reaches first is the low point of the stick. So higher ohmd will be higher voltage.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Today my 50w started reading my tanks @ 2.0ohm. for some odd reason.
I use all Mini Nautilus Tanks with 1.8 coils.
(I have 3 of them)
I tried each tank on the 50w, and it's reading all of them @ 2.0ohms.
I tried each tank on my iStick 20w and they read 1.8ohm like they should.
Any Ideas???
Is there any way to reset the 50w?

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't believe it's resettable. First thing I'd try is turn it off, swab the 510 out with alcohol and a cuetip then use a screwdriver etc. to push on the spring loaded center pin and make sure it's moving freely. Past that IDK.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If your topper is rebuildable, increase the resistance. To my knowledge, the iStick does boost but not buck.
It bucks, but uses PWM to achieve the lower settings.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"I don't believe it's resettable. First thing I'd try is turn it off, swab the 510 out with alcohol and a cuetip then use a screwdriver etc. to push on the spring loaded center pin and make sure it's moving freely. Past that IDK."

Yep.
I had already tried all of that with no luck, but thanks for the reply.

I called Eleaf USA (Joytech) about it and talked to their tech guy.
He said he uses one and it has happened to him once as well.
They way he resolved it was by letting the battery run until dead, then re-charge completely.
He said that solved it, and it hasn't happened again.
He also said there was another guy that called about the 50w doing this and he told him the same thing.
Told him if that didn't work, to call back.
He said he never heard back from the guy so it must have solved the problem.
And obviously told me to call back if this didn't work.
But unfortunately , there is NOT a resettable feature on this box of any sort.:(
So if this doesn't work...I'm gonna be a bit angry.
I've only had the damn thing for a 2-3 weeks and go back and forth between IT and my 20w so it's not like I'm using and abusing the hell out of the thing! :mad:

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hope it works. I've had mine for just over a month with (knock knock) no issues. Be nice to know there's a solution if it does develop.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hear that!
Obviously it's a known issue if the "tech" has had it happen, and One Other Guy (besides myself) has called about it.
Makes me wonder how many others HAVEN'T called about it, ya know?
Or haven't noticed it...:rolleyes:

ColeGirl1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Me. I haven't called about it. I will do that.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I ran the battery down as low as I could over ther weekend, but couldnt get it to die, just not fire. At that point it WAS reading my coils where it should again.

I charged it back up, and again it'reading a 1.8 coil at 2.0 ohms. So apparently it didnt fix it. Im not sure if I'm gonna worry about it enough to call tech back or not. Having it read .2 off isnt gonna affect the performance much the way I vape. It wont let me set the volts as low as they should go with this coil, but I dont vape that low anyways.

Update:
Jiggling the tank around a bit while attached to the 50w brought the reading back to where it should be. My guess is that theres something going on with the spring connector. Its CLEAN...but might be an interal issue.

Im also reading other people having similar issues with this, so it might be a problem all across the board, not just mine....meaning I probably shouldn't worry abou it being repaired.

Note:
I thought my 20w and 50w had been reading my coils at 1.8 like they should. They were actually reading at 1.9. Guess I need some glasses. Either way, the 2.0 reading is odd on the 50w as the 20w still reads all my tanks at 1.9. Still...probably not enough to worry about, and as stated above, I can jiggle the 1.9 back into it.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I ran the battery down as low as I could over ther weekend, but couldnt get it to die, just not fire. At that point it WAS reading my coils where it should again.

I charged it back up, and again it'reading a 1.8 coil at 2.0 ohms. So apparently it didnt fix it. Im not sure if I'm gonna worry about it enough to call tech back or not. Having it read .2 off isnt gonna affect the performance much the way I vape. It wont let me set the volts as low as they should go with this coil, but I dont vape that low anyways.

Update:
Jiggling the tank around a bit while attached to the 50w brought the reading back to where it should be. My guess is that theres something going on with the spring connector. Its CLEAN...but might be an interal issue.

Im also reading other people having similar issues with this, so it might be a problem all across the board, not just mine....meaning I probably shouldn't worry abou it being repaired.

Note:
I thought my 20w and 50w had been reading my coils at 1.8 like they should. They were actually reading at 1.9. Guess I need some glasses. Either way, the 2.0 reading is odd on the 50w as the 20w still reads all my tanks at 1.9. Still...probably not enough to worry about, and as stated above, I can jiggle the 1.9 back into it.
I've noticed my 50W reads on the high side as well. I've got my magma set up with a 1.2 ohm 30g parallel coil, reads 1.2 on my ohm meter, 1.2 ohms on my BT50 and 1.3-1.4 ohms on my istick. Not sure why but seems like every build I do reads about .1 ohms higher than it should. It really doesn't affect performance as far as I can tell, I'm not going super sub-ohm on anything (lowest I ever build/run is 0.5 ohm) so I'm able to adjust wattage down a bit to get my settings right.

VU Sponsors