Become a Patron!

iStick 50w vs the Kanger Subox Mini

JoeyForte

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So, would it be better to have an iStick or a Subox Mini?

If i get the Kanger, ill only get one 3100mAh battery to compliment it. I would charge it within the box mod.

If i get the iStick, i would probably get the tank that everyones been recommending to me, which is the Aspire Nautilus.

I dont know which one to get.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME MAKE THIS DECISION.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There's going to be quite a difference between a Nautilus and a Subtank Mini. Assuming you intend to buy the starter kit. Have you tried a Subtank or other style sub-ohm tank? It may or may not be to your taste. As far as the mods go I haven't heard of any real problems with the Subox while some have had issues with the Istick 50W. I have one and have had zero issues but others have. The battery life per charge will certainly be greater with the Istick especially using a Nautilus. With a non-replaceable battery at some point the Istick will be a throwaway. With the Subox just buy new batteries. Apples and oranges. The final decision depends on your vaping preferences.

JoeyForte

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There's going to be quite a difference between a Nautilus and a Subtank Mini. Assuming you intend to buy the starter kit. Have you tried a Subtank or other style sub-ohm tank? It may or may not be to your taste. As far as the mods go I haven't heard of any real problems with the Subox while some have had issues with the Istick 50W. I have one and have had zero issues but others have. The battery life per charge will certainly be greater with the Istick especially using a Nautilus. With a non-replaceable battery at some point the Istick will be a throwaway. With the Subox just buy new batteries. Apples and oranges. The final decision depends on your vaping preferences.

Before this i had a crappy Mini BCC vapor pen. Im looking for something thatll last me a long time, and has great flavor and clouds. Id rather have the subox, but id only be able to afford one battery for it, which i would just keep recharging through the mod.

Idk, its preference i know. Thanks anyways!

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you want clouds then it's the Subox. How long the battery lasts between charges depends on too much to predict but quality batteries are pretty cheap these days so charging in the mod until you can afford another battery and external charger shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To be honest.....You probably couldn't go wrong with either on. Like it was mentioned above the Nautilus mini and the I Stick 50 watt the battery will last for days. But if you want clouds on that you would need a sub ohm tank and there's a lot of good ones out there. The subox mini kit might be a little better for you as it has everything you need in it. Rebuildable base, coils,tank and a charger. You would just need a battery. The I Stick comes two ways, just the I Stick or the I stick full kit which includes the charger

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Subox is very practical and reliable in my experience. I recently dropped it with the tank installed from about 4 ft onto a tile floor, nothing happened except for the battery door flying off. The tank doesn't leak. The rba section is super easy to build on. The OCC coils are easy to source. When I'm in my car I can charge it with my phone charger and vape at the same time. Battery easily lasts a day (Samsung 25R). Great starter kit imo.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got an iStick 50 and it was crap - rattly buttons, the fire button cuts out intermittently, charging port is finicky about working, PIFed it to a friend last week.

I had a couple issues with grinding threads on the original Kbox, but that wouldn't apply to the Subox - I'd trust that it's a much better mod. That said, I'm taking another chance on eLeaf since I seemed to be in the minority who got a crap product last time and I have 2 iStick 100s on order.

Big difference in the Nautilus (a last-generation traditional clearo, but one of the best of its kind) and the Subtank (one of the early "sub-tank" clearos, not nearly as high power as newer devices but still very solid IMO). If you want clouds, the Subox/Subtank is definitely the way to go...general consensus is to use half the nicotine in a new-gen clearo as an old one, as the big clouds you'll create mean you'll burn through a lot more liquid.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Nice thing about the subox is batteries are about $5 a piece at liionwholesale, the only place I order batteries, and Jon is a very trusted and helpful vu member. I have not used a kanger subtank so I can't really give my impressions of that particular tank. However I can tell u that for me when I went subohm with a kbox and isub tank I haven't touched my old ego style tanks.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
On that note the Panasonic 18650b are good batteries for something with a low amp requirement, 3400 mah batteries. That said for something like a kbox or anything that requires high drain batteries I won't use them. Definitely want to stick with LG Samsung or possibly Sony batteries. Unfortunately alot of these unknown battery companies exaggerate claims their batteries can't produce. Definitely be careful with no name batteries or some fire brand batteries with outrageous claims. If u shop around u can find 100% verified authentic batteries for often times cheaper than those knock offs, and way cheaper than any physical shop will charge for them. For example I bought a vamped battery at a shop for like $12, I'm guessing its a re branded LG or Samsung. I picked up 2 authentic LG batteries for less than $15 with shipping from liionwholesale.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can get an IStick 50 for less than 40.00 just about anywhere. Battery life is fantastic, and I have had no problems with it whatsoever. I recommend it highly. I use this with the Arctic tank and .5 coils. Great combo IMHO.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Id go with the subox kit...if you want clouds then the nautilus certainly is not the tank for that...However, with its great flavor and low power requirements, the i stick should last quite sometime on a single charge..you dont even need anywhere near 50 watts for such tank anyways...the 20 watt istick would work just fine with that....its just when you find youre low on power and at work or out and about youll wish you had another battery to just pop in and keep going.

Should you chose the subox, i wouldnt use anything less than a reputable battery...Im not sure what the amps are in this 3100mah battery but ,even in a regulated device it wouldnt be my the choice of battery to subohm with.

LG HE2 batteries are the minimal battery i would use in anything..they run $5 and change each...you dont have to buy a 30 dollar charger to have a quality charger..I still use my Nitecore I2 intellicharger and that charges 2 batteries at one time and doesnt break the bank...you can even buy single cell chargers from xtar to get you by.

I personally would go the subox route as it will carry you deeper into future upgrades as most all find themselves doing in time..

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
On the charger note I have a nitecore um10 I actually got on fast tech for like $10, single battery but works just fine. They're actually cheaper elsewhere. Good chargers are cheap enough, whether it be an xtar nitecore or luc I hear they're all reliable.

VU Sponsors