Become a Patron!

istick 50w reading .1 ohms high?

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My 50w istick seems to be reading .1 ohms high on coils. When I use 3 different mini nautilus tanks on it, it reads 1.9 ohms on all of them, even after switching coils. They are bvc 1.8 ohm coils. With my kanger sub nano it read the 1.2 coil spot on all the time. Just switched to the .5 coil and it reads .6. Any ideas? Big deal?

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My 50w istick seems to be reading .1 ohms high on coils. When I use 3 different mini nautilus tanks on it, it reads 1.9 ohms on all of them, even after switching coils. They are bvc 1.8 ohm coils. With my kanger sub nano it read the 1.2 coil spot on all the time. Just switched to the .5 coil and it reads .6. Any ideas? Big deal?

Do you have a separate ohms meter? If so,. does it read your coils as exactly 1.8, 0.5, etc? The iStick rounds up if a coil is in between 2 numbers. Not sure if the cutoff is 0.05.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Im pretty sure most all devices have a +/- of .1 or .2 accuracy.

Whos to say a separate ohm tester is perfectly accurate?..same function used in a chip?..Most ohm readers are cheaply made china parts anyways...shrugs.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My 20w istick consistently reads .1 and sometimes .2 higher than the same tank/coil as my mvp2.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Do you have a separate ohms meter? If so,. does it read your coils as exactly 1.8, 0.5, etc? The iStick rounds up if a coil is in between 2 numbers. Not sure if the cutoff is 0.05.
I don't have a meter. I'm fairly new, have read ohms law about 50 times and still don't get it. This is why I only use regulated mods and don't build coils. Just not computing in my head. Also why I don't have an ohm Meter:(

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Any connection will have loss in it... the devices are also not perfect and have a percentage of error... the coils are also built within a certain amount of error on them also... So a coil reading just 0.1Ω off of the listed spec is pretty normal and isn't a reason for any concern.

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a clone dna30 box mod, and a Smoke m50/65 XPro, and nothing else to measure accuracy. So they are always .1 different from each other. I haven't a clue which one is correct. if yours is in fact reading higher, then you may need to bump up the power a hair. a VW mod will use its measurement of the resistance in calculating the voltage to be applied to get the set wattage. But really its just splitting hairs...

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Depends on the chip and how it's programmed to round up. A .54 ohm coil might read either .5 or .6. Eleaf tends to round up rather than down. No big deal at all.

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Remember that the device is reading the resistance of the coil AND the connections. Make sure that the connector on your tank or atty as well as the connection in the device are clean. My iStick 20w was reading 3.8 ohms on a 1.8 ohm coil in my Aerotank mini last week. I pulled the tank off, and found a little ball of lint inside of the 510 connector on the iStick. After removing it, the resistance went back to 1.8 ohm.

I carry 3 tanks around all the time. One on the device, 2 in my pocket. Pocket lint gets on the connector on the tank, and then I screw it into the iStick and have problems.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
0.1 ohm is nothing. I would expect the uncertainty of measurement to be +-0.1 ohm at the least with an on-board ohmmeter in a cheap consumer device. Not to mention, coils aren't built to exact specs either.

In short, fuhgetaboutit.

Michilee89

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I'm using the rba for the subtank mini and when I built a coil a few weeks back my ohm meter said it was .58ohms however when I actually put it together on my Istick 50w it showed 0.6. My guess it that it just rounded it up since it was closer to 0.6 because I built another that was 0.54 and it showed 0.5 when I used it. Not sure if it's a big deal or not but it seems to vape just fine regardless.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey Dubya,
Mine is doing the same thing brotha. Both the 20w and 50w read at 1.9. My 50w even started reading at 2.0. I called the tech at eleaf about. He said its happened to him too as well as someone else that called in. He said to run the battery down to dead, then recharge and it should solve the problem. It worked for me when I drained it, but afyer the charge it was reading 2.0 again. I jiggled 1.9 back into it, so it makes me think the spring connector has some issues even though its clean. Since other people are having this same problem Im not sure its worth doing anything about. Its not really gonna screw the performance up.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My 20w on occasion jumps around bad, sometimes all the way up to 3.8 ohms. I have a bending adapter and removed it and cleaned it and that helps, but I can totally feel the 510 threads starting to strip out (an issue with the 20w), so I put the bending adapter back on, even freshly cleaned it jumps some. I just put it in voltage mode so it's not changing my wattage as it changes resistance. Works fine, just unfortunately a known issue with the 20s on the 510.

Greg Adams

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hell I have the mvp 20w and a nautilus aspire tank and the coil is the same from the sound of it. And it also reads 1.9ohms even though I know it's a 1.8ohm coil. Hell the first one I had read 1.7ohms but it didn't affect how it works

VU Sponsors