Become a Patron!

istick 30w

Hello

I was given this istick 30w and have no idea what goes with it or how to use it. I have been a smoker my whole life and want to quit. If this thing can help in any way, I want to try it. Can someone tell me what I need to buy for this? I smoke Marlboro special select 100's. A light cigarette. I know how to charge this thing and found a video explaining its features, but I do not see what the thing attached to the top is called. Thank you for any help you can offer.
004.JPG 005.JPG

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I'd get a smaller, single-coil tank - for you, as a virgin, you likely will want a tank that uses premade, threaded coils.

Oh, and that 'thing' on top is the "510 connector" - center positive, threads are negative.

Last edited:

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had a few early 30w devices, but went to the 100w for less trouble overall. Plenty of room inside 100w for decent vaping and usually 2 cells, (which in my book always trump being out with a single cell). Although, iirc, the istick30 is actually a lipo, right?

Thank you for answering so fast guys. I have no idea what any of this means lol So do you have a name for the single coil tank brand or type?

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've never had more than one half-ass subohm tank and been mounting my own coils for years now. I'd not really know what to suggest.

However, you also likely want a MTL (mouth-to-lung) tank: suck the vape into mouth to then inhale to lungs - hard draw like a cig. There are a number of those available, but as I said: I'm at a loss as to what is easiest & quickest available.

Edit: https://vaping360.com/best-vape-tanks/mtl-tanks/
Looks like the Nautilus-2 is still top-drawer.

Last edited:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thank you for answering so fast guys. I have no idea what any of this means lol So do you have a name for the single coil tank brand or type?
Been so long since I used any, can't think of brands-names at the moment....I'm a fossil, so bare with me.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Someone will pop in and have recommendations for tanks, just give it a few.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Lets see....Nautilus tank, Aspire tank, anything tiny which uses a single factory made coils will work. You need high ohm coils, which take less power to produce vapor since you don't have much power with 30 watts, but it's still a good battery if there is life in it.

Lets see....Nautilus tank, Aspire tank, anything tiny which uses a single factory made coils will work. You need high ohm coils, which take less power to produce vapor since you don't have much power with 30 watts, but it's still a good battery if there is life in it.
Oh so this is called the battery? And I am looking for single coil adapters?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh so this is called the battery? And I am looking for single coil adapters?
What you have is a battery, or what they call a Mod...but it's nothing more than a battery with what is called a 510 connection at the top to screw the atomizer into, which is what produces the vapor.

@JuicyLucy should be able to help, if she sees his thread.

What you have is a battery, or what they call a Mod...but it's nothing more than a battery with what is called a 510 connection at the top to screw the atomizer into, which is what produces the vapor.

OK Cool The fog is lifting a little ;)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here, I found what I was referring to....something like this.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
For the time being, I'd find a tank that takes the kind of coils that you just screw in, as suggested. For the iStick, you could use any of the ones that were listed in the first link that was dropped here, or a Kanger subtank, Aspire Nautilus, or Nautilus Mini, among others that might get suggested.

The istick 30 is a pretty reliable little dude and can last quite a while. Great one for starting out. Much better than the crappy ego type pens that some of us started out with.

Research any of the names that were listed, you can also pop back in, to be sure of places to buy from. You'll want to be able to grab coils at the same time, just to save from having to pay shipping from too many places. If you were to go into a local shop, they might try and sell you something that's too advanced for the time being, though reputable shops do exist.

Online vendors I'd buy from any day, off the top of my head:

Eciggity.com
101Vape,com
Vaporrange.com
vapordna.com
discountvapers.com

Juices that you might like, I'm not a lot of help with since I fell into DIY pretty fast, but some of those places sell juice, too. I know I searched and searched for tobacco flavors I'd like and never really found any. I found fruit and bakery flavors appeal to me the most.

@Countrypami might be a great help, too, for tanks and such.

OMG You mean there is more? Then just buying the single coil thingy? lol OK so I just bought the tank that holds the liquid of different flavors?
Thanks guys. This is some fast answers and problem solving. I was expecting a day or two wait. lol

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yep, the tank holds the "juice", the coil heats it up for you and "wicks" the juice. The coil wicking material will get used up, for lack up a better term, and eventually the taste will be off. At that point, you'll want to replace the coil.

There's definitely a learning curve, but that's what we're here for. If you stick with it, you will get used to all of it and become a former smoker. May not happen overnight, some do, though. If it even just helps you to smoke less, that's a good start.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
well, if you have the mod, and ordered the nauti-2, make sure you get some spare heads for it.

IIRC, mtl-vaping is miserly on juice, so.. a couple ml a day for a chainsmoker - don't even screw around with less than 18mg ejuice. The cravings will drive you bonkers. Figure 4ml a day x 7 days or 30ml a week, so.. Order a few 30ml bottles - don't pick all one brand or you will get peeved: invariably, if you are seeking a tobacco-type, you will be more disappointed than satisfied..

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As far as that goes, get back to me in the future when you get to vaping the set, and I can offer you some tobacco-flavorings I am no longer using.. Took me nearly 8 years, but I no longer really want that "flavor" anymore.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Your best bet may be going to a local vape shop (hopefully a reputable one with knowledgeable workers). It will be a lot easier if it can be explained and shown to you in person with items you can lay hands on. You can c just how simple it all is. Just my opinion.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
well, if you have the mod, and ordered the nauti-2, make sure you get some spare heads for it.

IIRC, mtl-vaping is miserly on juice, so.. a couple ml a day for a chainsmoker - don't even screw around with less than 18mg ejuice. The cravings will drive you bonkers. Figure 4ml a day x 7 days or 30ml a week, so.. Order a few 30ml bottles - don't pick all one brand or you will get peeved: invariably, if you are seeking a tobacco-type, you will be more disappointed than satisfied..

I agree with this.

Also wanted to tell a brother, I could dance to all night in a circle to Heilung. Thank you for sharing this. :)

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
but I do not see what the thing attached to the top is called. Thank you for any help you can offer.

I missed your link the first time around poppavic. So I am about to buy this one

https://myvpro.com/aspire-nautilus-2-tank-2ml/?sscid=31k3_is5s7

How long do these last? More then a pack of cigarettes I hope lol

That should do you fine - and like others said, buy extra coils

That one comes with a .7 ohm coil installed - make sure you watch some YouTube vids on how to wick it properly before you fire the mod or it will burn the coil.

Once a coil is burned, it will taste terrible and needs to be thrown out, there is really no way to save it

The extra coil that comes with it is a much higher, 1.5 ohm - it may draw and/or taste much differently than the one that comes already inside the tank.

As vaping is a very personal thing, it is hard to say which coil you will like best

Congratulations for taking your first steps towards becoming a non-smoker

And welcome to VU :wave:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh, also, once you have it all set up with tank and juice, start the wattage low, then raise it a bit til you enjoy the flavor. Starting it at too high wattage can also burn your coil.

I have never had this many browser tabs open ever! lol That Nautilus 2 was sold out. I am still trying to put the package together. LOL I knew I picked a bad week to quit sniffing glue, drinking and smoking. lol I am kidding about the sniffing and drinking but it sounds good right about now lol

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
knew I picked a bad week to quit

Nay, there's no bad time for stopping cigarettes except when you lay in the grave. Then it's too late for anything.

You will find for now you'll want to stick with using RTA (Rebuild-able Tank Atomizer) that use coil head assemblies. These are good for starting out as the coils will be built in a housing and likely wicked already. You might gradually desire something like a Goblin. The Goblin can help you ease into building your own coils. Not saying you will like or want to go that route, you may though. I'm giving you another option for later on. :) I find building coils helpful and it saves money over buying made up assemblies.

Vaping has a lot of different paths. You'll need to find your path and you will. We have all been exactly where you are now. Please understand we hesitate to suggest "best" or "one right way". Most of will laugh such notions away. What I call best you might call worst and vise versa. It sincerely is about what you specifically like. Have patience with it, try lots of different aspects of vaping. You'll find your way by learning what you don't care to do. That takes a bit of time. Be patient with yourself too.

It has taken me roughly two or three years to learn an affinity for single coil builds on a mech squonking mod. You'll also slowly grasp the terminology. A mech is one of the battery holders, a type of them. Mechs don't have computer chips in them and are good for folks like me. Others like regulated mods. Those have computer chips and are probably better for people like you, just learning. No shame in using a mech or regulated in any case. It comes back to what you like using. There's no wrong to it, well, except in pulling something that requires new Darwin stickers. "For your safety, do not put your mod in a fire," is an example of a Darwin sticker. You'll be surprised how uncommon, common sense can be.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Hello

I was given this istick 30w and have no idea what goes with it or how to use it. I have been a smoker my whole life and want to quit. If this thing can help in any way, I want to try it. Can someone tell me what I need to buy for this? I smoke Marlboro special select 100's. A light cigarette. I know how to charge this thing and found a video explaining its features, but I do not see what the thing attached to the top is called. Thank you for any help you can offer.
View attachment 134331 View attachment 134332
For the time being, I'd find a tank that takes the kind of coils that you just screw in, as suggested. For the iStick, you could use any of the ones that were listed in the first link that was dropped here, or a Kanger subtank, Aspire Nautilus, or Nautilus Mini, among others that might get suggested.

The istick 30 is a pretty reliable little dude and can last quite a while. Great one for starting out. Much better than the crappy ego type pens that some of us started out with.

Research any of the names that were listed, you can also pop back in, to be sure of places to buy from. You'll want to be able to grab coils at the same time, just to save from having to pay shipping from too many places. If you were to go into a local shop, they might try and sell you something that's too advanced for the time being, though reputable shops do exist.

Online vendors I'd buy from any day, off the top of my head:

Eciggity.com
101Vape,com
Vaporrange.com
vapordna.com
discountvapers.com

Juices that you might like, I'm not a lot of help with since I fell into DIY pretty fast, but some of those places sell juice, too. I know I searched and searched for tobacco flavors I'd like and never really found any. I found fruit and bakery flavors appeal to me the most.

@Countrypami might be a great help, too, for tanks and such.
Hello Stormy! Welcome to the VU!!!

You've certainly come to the right place for help :)

So you were gifted a 30w iStick, that's awesome! I'm an eLeaf lover and actually still use some iSticks.
I know it's a lot of information and it can be very overwhelming o_O But I'm gonna try to break down the important parts for you.

First you need to know that the iStick 30W has a built in battery. So it's a Mod and battery combined. We call this an internal battery. And it has a minimum ohm resistance of .4 ohm. What that means, is that you can put any tank you want on it so long as the coil ohms are .4 or higher. (Never put a tank on a mod without knowing the mods resistance ratio)

Second... read this, it should help simplify things for you: http://countrypami.blogspot.com/p/vaping-101.html

OK this is what I have put together so far based on everyone's input. Countrypami thank you so much for clarifying the ohm and I am all over your blog. In the description of most of these things, I do not see the ohm. For single coil and istick 30w and ohm parameters, how is this set? I haven't even tackled the ejuice yet lol I chose this set mainly because of the 4ml that was recommended for daily usage?

https://101vape.com/hellvape-hellbeast-subohm-tank-24mm-4ml.html
https://101vape.com/hellvape-hellbeast-coils-5-pack.html

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
OK this is what I have put together so far based on everyone's input. Countrypami thank you so much for clarifying the ohm and I am all over your blog. In the description of most of these things, I do not see the ohm. For single coil and istick 30w and ohm parameters, how is this set? I haven't even tackled the ejuice yet lol I chose this set mainly because of the 4ml that was recommended for daily usage?

Ejuice is all what you favor in taste. Its easy and fun.

As far as that goes, get back to me in the future when you get to vaping the set, and I can offer you some tobacco-flavorings I am no longer using.. Took me nearly 8 years, but I no longer really want that "flavor" anymore.

I just want a light tobacco as I am used to and any other flavor I like to be light. Is that in the output of the mod or do they make the flavors light, bold etc?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

That runs a bit too low for the 30w iStick, IMO.

MANUFACTURER SPECIFICATIONS:
0.2 Ω Mesh H1 "Supermesh"

You don't need the latest $40+ sub-ohm tank, just something easy and simple. :)

I have a gifted iStick 40W that came with a MELO2 tank. very simple stuff. It runs a 0.8 ohm coil head that works nicely around 20-30 watts. But, you can get a re-buildable deck for it if you wanted to learn to build your own later.

Here is the MELO3 tank for about $17, just a bit newer: https://www.litecigusa.net/Eleaf-Melo-3-Mini-Tank-p/eleaf-melo3-mini-tank.htm

It comes with a 0.3 and a 0.5 ohm coil head so you'd be good.
It also has an easy to use top-filling system for your e-juice.

Replacement heads for it:
(these are for one coil head, you can buy larger packs of them to save money once you know which you like.)
You can buy those heads cheap about anywhere, usually in 5-packs.

Be careful where you order from, many of the vape sites are Chinese wholesalers and ya wouldn't get your stuff for like two weeks. Stick to USA-based stores IMHO. ;)

Last edited:

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just want a light tobacco as I am used to and any other flavor I like to be light. Is that in the output of the mod or do they make the flavors light, bold etc?
I had been hand-rolling - usually unfiltered - about 2#/mo for about a decade.. This was after 2 pack-a-day of marlboro, camel - whatever I could get. So, I wanted strong, solid "tobacco".. Not hay-fever/field or burning grass.

You can even find that some of the pipe-tobacco and cigar "flavors" work. (As I smoked meershaums for years, I get picky about pipe-tobaccos - with cigs, I just wanted nicotine fast and hard). Mind you, these are flavorings - I mix my own ejuice, and I have absolutely no idea who markets/sells a tolerable "tobacco".

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
FWIW: VapeWild has a deal for first-time buyers, ya get a whole pack of juices for about a $1 and change. Might be good to try some out.

Welcome4_VW_SideAd__23343.1541540124.jpg

Here: https://www.vapewild.com/welcome-sample-pack/

The only tobacco of theirs I've had is the Wrangler, which is a pretty good and light flavor.
The Circus Bear is a nice butterscotch type flavor I like. Did not like the RazzleBerry.

Vaping isn't smoking. You won't find a cigarette in a vape. Not really.

Most vapers get away from tobacco flavors pretty quickly once they realize they can vape any flavor they can think of. That said, I enjoy a "RY4" type flavor, which is a light tobacco with usually a creamy/caramel type accent and vanilla. ;-)

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon

You are quite welcome!
The mods minimum ohm resistance can be found in the specs of the mod on the websites page.

You CANNOT use the .2 ohm coils on this mod. The 30w istick is only capable of going down to .4ohm. If the mod even allows these coils to be fired, which it shouldn't, you risk the mod/battery exploding.

FWIW: VapeWild has a deal for first-time buyers, ya get a whole pack of juices for about a $1 and change. Might be good to try some out.

Welcome4_VW_SideAd__23343.1541540124.jpg

Here: https://www.vapewild.com/welcome-sample-pack/

The only tobacco of theirs I've had is the Wrangler, which is a pretty good and light flavor.
The Circus Bear is a nice butterscotch type flavor I like. Did not like the RazzleBerry.

Vaping isn't smoking. You won't find a cigarette in a vape. Not really.

Most vapers get away from tobacco flavors pretty quickly once they realize they can vape any flavor they can think of. That said, I enjoy a "RY4" type flavor, which is a light tobacco with usually a creamy/caramel type accent and vanilla. ;-)

Very cool deal. Thank you for posting.
What is this?

VG / PG Blend: required
VG 80%+ [ Max VG ]
VG 65% / PG 35% [ Higher VG ]
VG 50% / PG 50% [ Half & Half ]

That runs a bit too low for the 30w iStick, IMO.

You don't need the latest $40+ sub-ohm tank, just something easy and simple. :)

I have a gifted iStick 40W that came with a MELO2 tank. very simple stuff. It runs a 0.8 ohm coil head that works nicely around 20-30 watts. But, you can get a re-buildable deck for it if you wanted to learn to build your own later.

Here is the MELO3 tank for about $17, just a bit newer: https://www.litecigusa.net/Eleaf-Melo-3-Mini-Tank-p/eleaf-melo3-mini-tank.htm

It comes with a 0.3 and a 0.5 ohm coil head so you'd be good.
It also has an easy to use top-filling system for your e-juice.

Replacement heads for it:
(these are for one coil head, you can buy larger packs of them to save money once you know which you like.)
You can buy those heads cheap about anywhere, usually in 5-packs.

Be careful where you order from, many of the vape sites are Chinese wholesalers and ya wouldn't get your stuff for like two weeks. Stick to USA-based stores IMHO. ;)

Very cool find Thank you ;) I am ordering the Melo-3 with the .5ohm Atomizer head. I think if I understand countrypami the .3ohm atomizer head would be too low for mine?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What is this?

VG 80%+ [ Max VG ]

VG and PG are principle components in e-juice. :)

I'll let this explain it all: https://www.vapes.com/blogs/news/vaping-for-newbies-what-is-the-best-pg-vg-ratio-for-e-liquid

TL;DR:

VG is thicker and provides a 'fuller' vape, also provides more clouds.
PG carries flavors better, provides "throat hit", and is thinner. Some folks have sensitivities to it though.

FWIW, I vape a 80/20 ratio: 80% VG to 20% PG. :)

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
What is this?

VG 80%+ [ Max VG ]
Stormy... you need to read the Vaping 101 link I gave you earlier... it will answer most of these questions.

PG (Propylene Glycol) - carries more flavor and gives you more throat hit… it has anti-microbial properties and is used widely throughout healthcare ventilation systems to help purify the air.

VG (Vegetable Glycerin) - gives you more vapor, makes juice thicker and sweeter

For low ohm vaping you want the MAX VG.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
You might want to stick with that Nautilus and it's 1.6-18Ω that comes with, for starters. That mod you have won't run .4-.5Ω for nearly as long. You can always customize what mod/more tanks once you see what your working with.

VU Sponsors