Become a Patron!

Issues with the 260 Watt Variant Clone

Has anyone had issues with the Variant clone firing way too hot?? I use an Atlantis Tank on my Hana at 30 watts and have no issues. I tried to fire the Atlantis on the variant at 30 Watts and fried the coil instantly! I have to run the Variant between 8-12 Watts.

Rawmade

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Theres a youtube vid of a german guy testing it with a oscilloscope. The Variant clone runs anywhere from 2-4x the specified wattage up to 100w depending on how low the build is. For example, a .2ohm coil at 10w is actually firing at 36w, 30w at 70w, etc. I dont remember the exact numbers but if you look for it on the tube youll find it. Its in german but all you need are the numbers.
Its the Variant clones only real downfall, its built beautifully, looks great, and otherwise performs great other than the huge overvoltage...and its a BIG downfall.

rickmtnview

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Being a watt or two over I could tolerate. But 2-4X the setting? Hell no, that's just shitty engineering.
Looks like they really wanted to reach that 260 figure for, most likely, marketing reasons and made the bonehead decision to let accuracy fall by the wayside. I vape to taste so it doesn't really affect me but the mods reputation is ruined. I still love it and definitely my favorite mod. Spent the weekend resolving an unbalanced lipo battery which required extra dollars and knowledge to fix. This is a costly negative against the Variant. New technology for many requiring a charger, pwr supply, battery meter, xtra batteries, all costly additions just to use this mod. I cannot recommend because of those issues, being overpowered is a relatively minor issue.

VU Sponsors