Become a Patron!

is your DIY the best?

abrahamfarrar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Abrahamfarrar you will do fine. It's not hard. I love the drop method as I mix small amounts mainly for just myself and its easy peasy, no clean up. At mamajsflavorshop you can get small samples of flavors to try...mainly FA as well as pre mixed recipes of wllmc and Hics. My suggestion is whatever flavors you tended to vape prior to diy or flavors you think you will like try first. As we all like different flavors. Also here on vu there are many notes on flavors mainly from HIC in the diy liquid section under reviews. Good luck to you!
Thanks Daintanee! I appreciate the tips!

abrahamfarrar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
abraham

let me tell you my story.
i only used small tanks like iclear30s
Bought the one and only flavor i vape (peach mango) from gourmet vapors.
I settled on this after trying about 100 or more flavors of juices from many companies. This flavor was the closet to tasting like something I liked. Everything else with the exception of a basic strawberry form The Vapor Room (local to me) AND peach mango from MaddCattVapors (also local to me), tasted like crap or had no flavor or not enough for me to taste it.

One day the guys at MaddCatt talke dme into a kanger subtank and my life changed. I could actually taste the flavor, but since all I had was their peach mango at 6mg and my 24mg 70pg/30vg peach mango from gourmet vapor, I needed to figure something out. My gourmet vapors juice was too strong to use in a subtank, but form what i could stand for a few puffs I could taste the flavor like never before.

So I was about to order from gourmet vapor my peach mango in teh irght pg/vg and nic strength for a subtank when I realized I was using 3-4 times as much juice a day on a subtank. SO I wanted to get my juice cheaper, but since gourmet vapors is a bout the cheapest you can find I was stuck and decided to do the math on DIY.

The math made sense BY ALOT. SO I dove in head first.
The first stuff I got was peach and mango from TFA
That stuff was AWFULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
taste like a candy from the dollar store clearance section.

I was about to forget DIY, then read alot about FA and CAP flavors etc.
SO I said one more try.
Ordered peach and mango from FA,CAP and FW Triedt hem all
FW and CAP both taste like the dollar store reject hard candy. But the FA was spot on fruitty and perfect, just like a real fruit. I even had a mango in the kitchen to eat and compare with.

SO after some experimenting I created a peach mango all my own that I like better then anything I have ever vaped.

And the funny thing is this, even after a couple weeks vaping only this flavor, I still notice the flavor when I vape. Unlike the store bought stuff where I eventually got so accustomed to the flavor, that after a few days using it I stopped noticing the flavor completely.

The other day I was taking my son to his baseball game and walked out of the house without juice. I didn't want to turn around and make my son late so I stopped at the nearby BM The vapor room and ordered up some plain peach. OMG it was like pure CAP or TFA peach with some nic. Worst stuff I ever vaped. Pure dollar store reject hard candy flavoring.hing I did when I got home was wash out the tank and fill it up with my own juice. And I used to like the juice from the Vapor room alot.

Everyone who does DIY will tell you their juice tastes better then store bought. Because it does. With all the different brands of flavors available and the ability to tweak the formula and a little perseverance you will find something that you think tastes better then anything you have ever bought in a store. Even if that store juice actually tastes great. You have to remember taste is subjective. So even though the person who made that store bought juice that actually tastes good that the flavor was perfect, that was their subjective view. And you might find that you like the same thing with a little more of this or that or even decide it needs an extra flavor to complement the others.

I really don't like having to mix the juice myself yet, but I'll get over it. I am planning to try and move out of my shell and make a different flavor eventually. I always wanted a good apple vape. The only thing decent I ever found is MaddCatt Vapors Flaming apple which is a copy of Big Red gum to a degree. But apple is an elusive flavor that no store seems to get right for me. SO maybe with DIY I will find the one that works for me.

Take my advice, if you have any inkling to try DIY, JUST DO IT, you won't regret it.
Save some money and start with FA flavors they are about the best out there for accuracy

And for what its worth this is my peach mango
3% FA whit peach
1% FA peach
.5% FA Mango
This is a great story and very soon I will be diving in head first as well. Still trying to think about which flavors to buy.

abrahamfarrar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Since started mixing i always mixed at 15 to 20% total flavouring, I'm now less than 10% average, so gone from yuk mixes to very vapable mixes.
All thanks to you guys for sharing your knowledge.
So anything over 10% flavoring is to much?

PincheWero

Member For 4 Years
HIC's note are incredibly helpful! Thanks PincheWero! I know what I'll be doing for the rest of the night. Reading notes:D
No Problem, I have been on this forum for months and never really posted,, mostly because I was busy reading and learning. Don't be afraid to ask questions, most people are glad to point you in the right direction, And yes you make some lousy juice along the way....lord know id dumped lots of 3 and 5 ml batches

abrahamfarrar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Abrahamfarrar you will do fine. It's not hard. I love the drop method as I mix small amounts mainly for just myself and its easy peasy, no clean up. At mamajsflavorshop you can get small samples of flavors to try...mainly FA as well as pre mixed recipes of wllmc and Hics. My suggestion is whatever flavors you tended to vape prior to diy or flavors you think you will like try first. As we all like different flavors. Also here on vu there are many notes on flavors mainly from HIC in the diy liquid section under reviews. Good luck to you!
How does one go about getting these samples? ;)

Zortec2112

Member For 4 Years
OMG - smack me! Yup, I make that stuff 4 ounces at a time :)

That's the first recipe I ever made, and still one of my favorites. I ALWAYS have a minimum of 4oz "in stock". I normally make 240ml batches at a time - gotta leave time for steeping! It's good fresh - magical in a month!

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How does one go about getting these samples? ;)

abraham, what he means by small samples is that mamaj's offers 3ml and 5ml bottles ..as opposed to most vendors who only offer 10ml and up.. so it's very cost effective to 'try out' a flavor as opposed to buying 10ml of a flavor that you may only use once to try .. thus ending up with 9+ml's you may not use. :D

abrahamfarrar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
abraham, what he means by small samples is that mamaj's offers 3ml and 5ml bottles ..as opposed to most vendors who only offer 10ml and up.. so it's very cost effective to 'try out' a flavor as opposed to buying 10ml of a flavor that you may only use once to try .. thus ending up with 9+ml's you may not use. :D
Thanks Foggz, I went to MamaJ's after posting that and saw the small sizes and ordered several flavors @3mls. Very cost effective! Hope they get the butterscotch in soon!

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
abraham

let me tell you my story.
i only used small tanks like iclear30s
Bought the one and only flavor i vape (peach mango) from gourmet vapors.
I settled on this after trying about 100 or more flavors of juices from many companies. This flavor was the closet to tasting like something I liked. Everything else with the exception of a basic strawberry form The Vapor Room (local to me) AND peach mango from MaddCattVapors (also local to me), tasted like crap or had no flavor or not enough for me to taste it.

One day the guys at MaddCatt talke dme into a kanger subtank and my life changed. I could actually taste the flavor, but since all I had was their peach mango at 6mg and my 24mg 70pg/30vg peach mango from gourmet vapor, I needed to figure something out. My gourmet vapors juice was too strong to use in a subtank, but form what i could stand for a few puffs I could taste the flavor like never before.

So I was about to order from gourmet vapor my peach mango in teh irght pg/vg and nic strength for a subtank when I realized I was using 3-4 times as much juice a day on a subtank. SO I wanted to get my juice cheaper, but since gourmet vapors is a bout the cheapest you can find I was stuck and decided to do the math on DIY.

The math made sense BY ALOT. SO I dove in head first.
The first stuff I got was peach and mango from TFA
That stuff was AWFULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
taste like a candy from the dollar store clearance section.

I was about to forget DIY, then read alot about FA and CAP flavors etc.
SO I said one more try.
Ordered peach and mango from FA,CAP and FW Triedt hem all
FW and CAP both taste like the dollar store reject hard candy. But the FA was spot on fruitty and perfect, just like a real fruit. I even had a mango in the kitchen to eat and compare with.

SO after some experimenting I created a peach mango all my own that I like better then anything I have ever vaped.

And the funny thing is this, even after a couple weeks vaping only this flavor, I still notice the flavor when I vape. Unlike the store bought stuff where I eventually got so accustomed to the flavor, that after a few days using it I stopped noticing the flavor completely.

The other day I was taking my son to his baseball game and walked out of the house without juice. I didn't want to turn around and make my son late so I stopped at the nearby BM The vapor room and ordered up some plain peach. OMG it was like pure CAP or TFA peach with some nic. Worst stuff I ever vaped. Pure dollar store reject hard candy flavoring.hing I did when I got home was wash out the tank and fill it up with my own juice. And I used to like the juice from the Vapor room alot.

Everyone who does DIY will tell you their juice tastes better then store bought. Because it does. With all the different brands of flavors available and the ability to tweak the formula and a little perseverance you will find something that you think tastes better then anything you have ever bought in a store. Even if that store juice actually tastes great. You have to remember taste is subjective. So even though the person who made that store bought juice that actually tastes good that the flavor was perfect, that was their subjective view. And you might find that you like the same thing with a little more of this or that or even decide it needs an extra flavor to complement the others.

I really don't like having to mix the juice myself yet, but I'll get over it. I am planning to try and move out of my shell and make a different flavor eventually. I always wanted a good apple vape. The only thing decent I ever found is MaddCatt Vapors Flaming apple which is a copy of Big Red gum to a degree. But apple is an elusive flavor that no store seems to get right for me. SO maybe with DIY I will find the one that works for me.

Take my advice, if you have any inkling to try DIY, JUST DO IT, you won't regret it.
Save some money and start with FA flavors they are about the best out there for accuracy

And for what its worth this is my peach mango
3% FA whit peach
1% FA peach
.5% FA Mango

MattP...if you want apple, look NO FURTHER than FA Fuji Apple. Good stand alone or with just about anything you want to mix it with.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ahh they are still out of the bscotch... luckily i have some!! yeah .. it seems that mamaj's and bcv both tend to sell out of some flavors especially when a new recipe is making the rounds... I'm learning to order right away if i want something lol

Slvrdragin41

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yes, DIY is the best. Part of the draw for DIY for me was cost. I was vaping up to 12 mL per day. At $20-30 per bottle, that is not any cheaper than cigs. Now I save money, make things to my personal taste, and have more options than I could have afforded buying premium juices. Recipes and instructions people share have helped me come to enjoy the chemistry of mixing. Yep ... DIY is the best.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, DIY is the best. Part of the draw for DIY for me was cost. I was vaping up to 12 mL per day. At $20-30 per bottle, that is not any cheaper than cigs. Now I save money, make things to my personal taste, and have more options than I could have afforded buying premium juices. Recipes and instructions people share have helped me come to enjoy the chemistry of mixing. Yep ... DIY is the best.
I can screw up Minute Rice. But making great juice is so simple. Bought a 150ml beaker, & never looked back. I will run out about 3009. :cool:

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
15 to 40% for some suppliers. Taste & volume. I blow banks, no one is Impressed but Me. 30% of volume is a good choice. VG PG tastes lame.

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for answering @Foggz, I fell asleep. Also another place to get other brand flavors is wizard labs, bull city vapor. Definitely get vaperstek nicotine. Bull city has vg/pg and vaperstek nicotine. They have a variety of flavors. You could get the brands for your gum as well as fa butterscotch.

abrahamfarrar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Not to derail but what is the best calculator? And is there a certain place to get everything, as far as, mixing equipment goes?

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not to derail but what is the best calculator? And is there a certain place to get everything, as far as, mixing equipment goes?
Many use http://www.e-liquid-calculator.com I like the drop method...everyone is different...for example....get all the same bottles. Say the bottle gives 33 drops per ml. Put in 3 ml. Of your base ( your liquid/nicotine mix and then each drop of flavor = 1% Put in 6 ml. Of base and each drop = .5% Put in 12ml. Of base each drop = .25%… As for equipment....Rocket Puppy posted some links. I'll post when I find. I have not been lucky enough to get it all at one place, due to venders being sold out of this or that. You can also check amazon and eBay.

Oh and if you do drop method mamajsflavorshop sells bottles all about 33 drops per ml, so you can purchase extra bottles for flavors you get everywhere. Wizard labs has a lot of stuff.

Last edited:

abrahamfarrar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Many use http://www.e-liquid-calculator.com I like the drop method...everyone is different...for example....get all the same bottles. Say the bottle gives 33 drops per ml. Put in 3 ml. Of your base ( your liquid/nicotine mix and then each drop of flavor = 1% Put in 6 ml. Of base and each drop = .5% Put in 12ml. Of base each drop = .25%… As for equipment....Rocket Puppy posted some links. I'll post when I find. I have not been lucky enough to get it all at one place, due to venders being sold out of this or that. You can also check amazon and eBay.

Oh and if you do drop method mamajsflavorshop sells bottles all about 33 drops per ml, so you can purchase extra bottles for flavors you get everywhere. Wizard labs has a lot of stuff.
@Daintanee You've been a huge help! All of you have, Thank you!

VU Sponsors