Become a Patron!

Is Unpairing Safe?

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I will be trading my Reuleaux RX soon to my neighbor.
He doesn't need/want the cells/batteries.
They have been charged and rotated a few times.I don't want to have to toss them if I can use them as single sells/batteries.

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
They have been charged and rotated a few times.I don't want to have to toss them if I can use them as single sells/batteries.
When you separate married batteries you get 2 divorced batteries that work fine alone. You just can't remarry them to another battery or each other. They must stay single forever.

Just like the teachings of the Catholic Church. And no you can't get an annulment too. Haha

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It doesn't matter the mod you put the batteries in.... Important is that the (3) or (4) married batteries stay together...... They get drained and charged together so the voltage diminishes between the close to equal.... Sometimes (1) battery holds a better charge than the others....

For example mark them #1 #2 #3
And put them in the mod as 123 then when you charge them put in charger #3 #2 #1..... Then load in mod #3 #2 #1...

This way the get charged and drained equally !

I have a set of (4) vtc5 they are (1) year old and hold a perfect all day vape at 85 watts charge ..... And when I put them in the charger I verify the voltage and they are close......

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It doesn't matter the mod you put the batteries in.... Important is that the (3) or (4) married batteries stay together...... They get drained and charged together so the voltage diminishes between the close to equal.... Sometimes (1) battery holds a better charge than the others....

For example mark them #1 #2 #3
And put them in the mod as 123 then when you charge them put in charger #3 #2 #1..... Then load in mod #3 #2 #1...

This way the get charged and drained equally !

I have a set of (4) vtc5 they are (1) year old and hold a perfect all day vape at 85 watts charge ..... And when I put them in the charger I verify the voltage and they are close......

I understand how to pair batteries.
What I'm asking is it safe to unpair them...Cheers!

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I understand how to pair batteries.
What I'm asking is it safe to unpair them...Cheers!
Nope.... If you put 3 batteries in a mod.... That were not paired there is a chance that the weakest one will drain quicker than the others, this means that (2) or (1) battery carrying most of the load will cause one or 2 to vent.... Specially on a low ohm build that pulls heavy ohms from the cells.....

So no it's not safe !!!!

That's why the mod manufacturer tells you to put in new batteries that are paired, if not you will blow the mod up.......Or yourself .......

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
using them to single battery mods shouldn't be a problem
Thomas you are Right..... But if the battery drains to fast in 3 to 10 pulls on a mechanical there is a chance on the battery venting...... a mechanical mod has no way of telling you she is running low..... So pulling her n a battery that you think is full creates stress because she is not full ..... You could be taking a long pull and all of a sudden bam....

It's better to dispose than to explode. .... Don't risk injury the save $10 bucks.....

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Manny... you're having an incredibly difficult time getting on board with this simple topic.
It's a bit amusing to be honest. ;)

Snake... you're good to go with breaking up the marriage, permanently.

All three as singles is obviously no problem. When my RX went belly up, I split one of my sets into a single and a pair. The pair is still performing exactly as it should, so barring Mooch popping in to correct me, I don't imagine there's any issue doing that.
They were after all being kept balanced while in the 3-way.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Snake... you're good to go with breaking up the marriage, permanently.

It is perfectly safe to unpair them.
Mooch has been over & over this with the battery nanny crowd.
That was what I was hoping...Cheers!

Battery #1 Has moved up the hill and living in a sweet AL 85.

Battery #2 Went down the road a bit and now resides in a Kbox.

Battery #3 Is hanging around awaiting a vacancy in a Pico.

Vapin-Dave

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was looking up info on married batteries and came across this. Thought some of you might find it interesting.

Generally no need to worry depending on the usage. From the battery master himself ... (skip to around 1:32:00) ...

Vapin-Dave

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unpairing is deadly

I'm sure it is in the right circumstances. But as Mooch himself states if the batteries are only 10 or so cycles apart and you're not doing Super Sub-Ohm builds (less than .1 Ohms) there's a safety net of the roughly 3.1V cutoff that most regulated mods have. If you have 2 batteries that were bought at the same time and cycled evenly through a single battery mod I see no reason why they couldn't be used in a dual battery mod.

If you watched the video he even states that the differences in batteries when you get them from the manufacturer are often more than the difference from a battery that has about 50 cycles on it. And he says that if you charge the batteries separately you are basically refreshing them back to square one. (Provided of course that they're the same type of battery and have had roughly the same amount of usage.)

Here's another interesting vid with Mooch. Lots of good info here on batteries. The marriage part starts at approx. 35:00.

He states that it's obviously better to marry the batteries but explains the instances when it's not overly crucial. This video was in Oct. 2016 and he was in the middle of doing some testing on battery marriage. I haven't been able to find the results of that testing though. Another thing that I didn't know before is that it's not a good idea to charge mods with batteries in series inside the mod ... via USB. I generally charge mine externally anyways and only in a pinch to I charge them in the mod. Learn something new every day!! :D

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm sure it is in the right circumstances. But as Mooch himself states if the batteries are only 10 or so cycles apart and you're not doing Super Sub-Ohm builds (less than .1 Ohms) there's a safety net of the roughly 3.1V cutoff that most regulated mods have. If you have 2 batteries that were bought at the same time and cycled evenly through a single battery mod I see no reason why they couldn't be used in a dual battery mod.

If you watched the video he even states that the differences in batteries when you get them from the manufacturer are often more than the difference from a battery that has about 50 cycles on it. And he says that if you charge the batteries separately you are basically refreshing them back to square one. (Provided of course that they're the same type of battery and have had roughly the same amount of usage.)

Here's another interesting vid with Mooch. Lots of good info here on batteries. The marriage part starts at approx. 35:00.

He states that it's obviously better to marry the batteries but explains the instances when it's not overly crucial. This video was in Oct. 2016 and he was in the middle of doing some testing on battery marriage. I haven't been able to find the results of that testing though. Another thing that I didn't know before is that it's not a good idea to charge mods with batteries in series inside the mod ... via USB. I generally charge mine externally anyways and only in a pinch to I charge them in the mod. Learn something new every day!! :D
If it has a possibility of any short is dangerous.... You unmarry a 18650 and mix it with others you loose track of it.....

If the weak cell mixes in a (3) cell set up and (2) cells are at 4.1 volts and your old battery has dropped to 3.5v you vape a .08 build at 250 watts and take a good 5 or 6 or 7 chain Vapes showing off your skills ... is there a chance of venting ?

I'm not taking that risk..... It's unsafe

When a battery vents it's no joke !!!!!!!!!!!!

Vapin-Dave

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If it has a possibility of any short is dangerous.... You unmarry a 18650 and mix it with others you loose track of it.....

If the weak cell mixes in a (3) cell set up and (2) cells are at 4.1 volts and your old battery has dropped to 3.5v you vape a .08 build at 250 watts and take a good 5 or 6 or 7 chain Vapes showing off your skills ... is there a chance of venting ?

I'm not taking that risk..... It's unsafe

When a battery vents it's no joke !!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't blame ya ... especially for your style of vaping. But I never vape that low of a resistance or at high wattages. And as I mentioned earlier ...

...and you're not doing Super Sub-Ohm builds (less than .1 Ohms) there's a safety net of the roughly 3.1V cutoff .....

I would think it's obvious that when using mechanical mods or vaping at crazy high wattages extra precautions are necessary. So I guess it all depends on your application. Not sure what a dog chewing a mod/battery has to do with battery marriage unless it was just to show the outcome of what COULD happen.

I found an entry on REDDIT talking about Mooch's married battery test. The last post was from 25 days ago. He's not done yet but hopefully we'll hear the results in the next couple of months.

https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic...arried_battery_testing_updatenow_speeding_up/

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for being cautious and safe ... especially when vaping. But there has to be a reasonable limit as well. It should be safe to cross the road when the lights are green. But it can also be reasonably safe by looking both ways before crossing. Unless it's a Super Highway ... AKA Super Sub-Ohm. ;)

Vapin-Dave

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh ... and since I mentioned the USB charging point I found another video with Mooch where he talks a bit more about it. He explains that even in series it's not terrible to do it on occasion. As long as you ALSO charge them externally every few days to 'EVEN' them out apparently. He said that it would take 'A LOT OF CYCLES' to overcharge one of the batteries.

Here's the vid. At approx. 1:10:00 he talks about married batteries followed by USB charging. Overall a very informative video on batteries.

I'll be sticking to the external charger whenever possible though. I don't have a dog but don't want fireworks in my house if I can help it. LOL

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unpairing is deadly

ODD THAT MOOCH SAYS DIFFERENT.
I'll take his word as gospel any day every day.
I've had zero issues with their divorce.No odd weird unexplained voltage drops in any of the batteries.No lagging/sagging in any of them since.
Keep in mind I do not vape at crazy super sub-ohm levels using ultra high wattage's.So the batteries never experienced the type of abuse abuse that could cause problems.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well it's a safety issue.... I don't play that game.....

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unpairing could result in a severe case of blue batteries! :giggle:

sku_0933_3.jpg

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well it's a safety issue.... I don't play that game.....

Manny, reading through the thread it seems like there has been some misunderstanding going on here. I see what you are saying and agree in your case it is unsafe.

What @snake94115 means though ISN'T taking married batteries, unpairing them, and then using them in a mod that takes more than one 18650- he means taking a set that have been married from the beginning, separating them, and using them individually- never again as a pair or in a mod that uses more than one 18650.

This would be the same as taking one new battery from a new batch as batteries vary even when new. As it is single 18650 use, there will be zero difference between one that has discharged as a pair, or alone- in both cases they have had cycles and normal use, and the mod will still cut off and act exactly as it would with a battery that was used alone in it.
Again, it will be in a single 18650 device, and always kept this way, the batteries aren't getting used together again.

They will never be mixed with other batteries- always alone.

It wouldn't be safe to take a set of married batteries, use them apart, then put them back together to use as a married set again, but that isn't what he means.

VU Sponsors