Become a Patron!

Innokin MVP 3

Hi, I have some questions for answer, please. I have been using a Joyetech Electron-S for awhile now and liked it a lot but it's being discontinued for new products so I thought this would be a good time to move up. I just received my Innokin MVP 3 and an Aspire Atlantis sub-ohm tank with the bottom coils. The 2 coils I got with the tank are both .6 ohm and the recommendations say to set the device at 25W but I am not getting anywhere near the amount of vapor I've seen in videos even with the airhole wide open. The vapor also seems very hot to me and is hard to handle, is this normal from using sub-ohm coils compared to my old electron-s device? Those are my questions, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Bearing in mind that I don't use pre-made coil heads... and have no clue what your heads use for wire gauge... it depends on what gauge wire the coils are made from, Gil.

If it's 30 gauge... at 25 watts, the "heat flux" (HF) is a very warm to hot 371 mW/mm². If they're made from thicker wire, the heat flux drops as the wire gauge increases.

Heat flux is a representation of coil radiant heat, expressed in milliwatts per millimeter squared, and is determined by wattage input, wire gauge (and mass), coil(s) quantity in parallel and net resistance.

As you're not a rebuilder (I assume) and you can't/won't really do anything with the coil heads... lower your wattage a few points at a time until you get the desired temperature.
For example, if it is 30 gauge being used, 20 watts will provide a warm HF of 297 mW/mm²... 15 watts will offer a cooler 222 mW/mm² and 10 watts a cool 148 mW/mm².

Your vapor production may be the byproduct of the juice you're using. High PG juices don't produce as much vapor as high VG. Most of the videos you see where they brag about massive clouds... the person is using "max VG" or straight VG.

If you want to learn more about heat flux, click the first two sigline hyperlinks below.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I'm using the stock Atlantis 0.5 ohm coils that came with the unit, the official Aspire website does not mention what gauge the wire is inside them. I want to get into rebuilding in the future and am looking into it. I have a kanger subtank plus on order that will let me do that. I will look into acquiring juice with a higher percentage of VG. Thanks a lot for the info.

rx7ven

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi Gil,

i got the same set up as you. i just got this yesterday so im still a noob and it does feel a little warm. i'm using 6mg nicotine and 50/50 juice. currently vaping on 21-22watts. i get pretty decent vapor production but it is a little warm. i found it a little better when i close the air holes on the atlantis tank. one thing im not sure about is the voltage. its set at 4.0v right now but im not sure if thats the right setting. you might want to try playing around with the voltage as well.

Hi, After using the Atlantis tank for a little while, the hotness seemed to go away unless I crank the wattage way up so I'm keeping it low, also, the MVP 3 auto adjusts the voltage according to the coil resistance and wattage used so I'm happy with that. One thing about the atlantis tank that's weird from my old electron-s is the air intake seems very different. I hope I can explain this correctly. When inhaling my old one the feeling is more like smoking a cigarette, whereas the atlantis tank I have to really suck the air in to get anything out of it even with the smallest airhole. It feels really strange and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not, lol. There are no leaks in the tank so I don't know. I'm hoping the kanger tank I have coming will fit me better.

rx7ven

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
im curious what voltage did your mvp3 set yours to. mine is set to 4.06v

At 21 watts, the voltage is 3.5. I'm running my MVP in wattage mode so I only have one thing to set. I like it better at around 15 watts, 3.0 volts so the vapor is not so hot.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi, After using the Atlantis tank for a little while, the hotness seemed to go away unless I crank the wattage way up so I'm keeping it low, also, the MVP 3 auto adjusts the voltage according to the coil resistance and wattage used so I'm happy with that. One thing about the atlantis tank that's weird from my old electron-s is the air intake seems very different. I hope I can explain this correctly. When inhaling my old one the feeling is more like smoking a cigarette, whereas the atlantis tank I have to really suck the air in to get anything out of it even with the smallest airhole. It feels really strange and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not, lol. There are no leaks in the tank so I don't know. I'm hoping the kanger tank I have coming will fit me better.

The atlantis is designed for subohm use with more air flow requiring more wattage.

The more air you have the less vapor you are going to get at lower wattage and you also lose flavor...They arent designed for someone wanting mouth to lung inhales that are cigarette like.

Many tanks coming out now are catering to those who seem to like RDA's but dont want to drip.(where every 3 4 5 hits you have to re-soak the wick manually).

Not sure which kanger tank youre refering to but if its a subtank you may not like those either as even on the lowest airflow setting its considered a good amount of air and maybe not suitable for what youre looking for.

You may find a basic tank such as an aspire nautilus or some of the popular kanger protanks or protank 2's more suitable for your needs.

Hi, Mike. thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if I can get used to the sucking air technique with these subtanks, it feels completely foreign to me. The one I have on order is the upgrade to the Subtank, the Subtank Plus. The coils in my electron-s are 2.5 ohm and they work well at 8 watts and 4.5v. With the subtank, I also ordered some 1.2 ohm coils, so I'll give those a try. I will take a look at the Nautilus and protanks. Thanks.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi, Mike. thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if I can get used to the sucking air technique with these subtanks, it feels completely foreign to me. The one I have on order is the upgrade to the Subtank, the Subtank Plus. The coils in my electron-s are 2.5 ohm and they work well at 8 watts and 4.5v. With the subtank, I also ordered some 1.2 ohm coils, so I'll give those a try. I will take a look at the Nautilus and protanks. Thanks.
The subtanks on the lowest air setting is probably the same as a atlantis air draw wise...not sure youre going to like those tanks for the same reason of too much air flow.

The protank 2's are a single coil design amd you can order a wonderful air flow base for them that has extremely precise air flow adjustment to them...you can close them off so you have zero air flow although not something you would want..lol.

You cant expect though for the protanks to have the flavor or vapor production of the Atlantis or subtank but then again this may not be a concern to you.

The protanks use a very simple and inexpensive coil that are actually rebuildable shoild you decide to try a hand at doing that and save a bunch of money in the process.

You would be able to use much less power giving you even more battery life and enjoy a tighter draw youre looking for...Im not saying you get no flavor from these tanks but they are a bit less than the more sophisticated tanks...I own the protank 2 full size and the mini version with the kanger V3 air flow controllers and they are the most reliable tanks i own.

1426814808523.jpg

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You might have better luck with the Sub Tank. The Atlantis for me I like it at 33w or so. Some of the newer sub ohm tanks are even getting where they are meant to be running at near 100w.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm gonna try the Nautilus, I'll let ya know how it works out.
The Nautilus might be just what you are looking for.

You might have better luck with the Sub Tank. The Atlantis for me I like it at 33w or so. Some of the newer sub ohm tanks are even getting where they are meant to be running at near 100w.

The Nautilus might be just what you are looking for.

If you read my first post, you'll see I already have the Subtank but I can't get used to the way you draw air into the tank. The vapor is way too hot with anything above 15 watts and It just feels strange to me but I might get used to it in time. The bright side is I'll have 3 different tanks to fool around with now. )

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you read my first post, you'll see I already have the Subtank but I can't get used to the way you draw air into the tank. The vapor is way too hot with anything above 15 watts and It just feels strange to me but I might get used to it in time. The bright side is I'll have 3 different tanks to fool around with now. )
I saw the post about ordering the Sub Tank but I did not think the Plus version was out yet, so I assumed you did not have it yet. I thought you currently were working with the Atlantis.

For the Kanger Subtank I typically will use that at around 25w like your OP mentions with the Atlantis but the Kanger and The Aspire are a bit different imo on how to run them. I just took a pull on an Atlantis at 15w to see how it performed and get very little from it.

The thing with these types of tanks versus other tanks is adjusting your draw. If you are used to a mouth to lung draw it is a bit unpleasant. Altering your draw to direct lung hits makes a pleasant experience.

I think I might be doing it wrong but it feels comfortable to me. I vape like I used to smoke, I draw the vapor into my mouth and then inhale. With the Atlantis, it feels very odd, maybe because the vapor seems very hot compared to what I'm used to with the higher ohm coils I used to use. Maybe when I get the higher ohm coils it'll feel better hopefully or perhaps I just need to give it a little more time to get used to the hotter vapor. Maybe I'm a wimp, I don't know. )

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah it sounds like it is your technique. If you practice doing direct lung hits it will change the feel quite a bit. If you can't make the transition as far as lower watt mouth to lung hit tanks go I like the Nautilus mini. If you want to expand into rebuildables there are some options with the kayfun style tanks as well such as the Lemo.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If u want a cheap tank that IMHO is a very good vape aspire ce5. The tanks are less than like $5 at most places. I think the bvc coils for these are the same as the Nautilus except they don't screw in to the chimney. Might be what you're looking for. All my tanks use the regular bvc coils and I personally really like the vape it gives me. Haven't gone subohm myself and don't plan to. I do have an rta tho I need to get built, see if that's a good choice for me.

VU Sponsors