Become a Patron!

Innokin DV Pod Starter Kit 500mAh

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the DV Pod Starter Kit 500mAh from Innokin. The DV Pod Starter Kit 500mAh was supplied for the purpose of this review by Timmy from Innokin.

https://www.innokin.com/vaporizers/dv

Introduction

After the well received EQ the DV is Innokin's follow up pod device. Using the same 3D plex coil technology the DV allows you to both vape with draw activation and via a physical fire button. The DV has a 3.7v 500mAh in-built battery and has 4 different wattage settings allowing you to fine tune and get a consistent vape. The EQ is one of my favourite 3 pod devices so the DV is well worth a look!

In The Box

Contents:

1x Innokin DV Pod System
1x DV Replacement Pod
1x Micro USB Charging Cable
1x User Manual
1x User Packet (Warranty Card, Warning Booklet, Battery Warning Card)

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The DV came in the usual Innokin style packaging and on opening i was met by a very small pod device with immaculate looking finish. After getting over just how stealthy the pocket friendly DV was and marvelling over the quality of the brushed Stainless Steel finished i picked the device up and found due to it's small size it was quite light. As mentioned i received the Stainless Steel version, it's also available in White and Black, all three colours look nice. The DV has a futuristic shape and on the front we have a triangular Black panel, the three points of the triangular shape are rounded. At the top of the triangle we have a very clicky Black round fire button which has a ring of tiny holes for light to shine through to show indication. Further down to the left we have "DV" then to the right of this a Blue narrow bar for selecting wattage level. The bottom section of the panel houses a small screen to display the wattage levels. The back of the device has an identical shaped panel with honeycomb design, this has a rubber like texture which feels very comfortable in the palm of the hand. On the base of the device we have the micro USB port then at the top we have the pod which narrows as it gets to the top, this is very darkly tinted to match the front panel. The build quality is very impressive and as mentioned the finish is impeccable. The shape and size make it very ergonomic, out the box the DV is impressive.

DV Specs and Features:

Size: 42.4 x 21.3 x 75.6mm
Battery: 3.7V/Built-in 500mAh
Coil resistance: 0.5ohm (PLEX3D coil)
Resistance range: 0.3-1.0ohm
Ultra-Compact & Light-weight
2.8ml (2ml TPD Compliant) Refillable Pods
PLEX3D Next Generation 3D Mesh Coils
Auto-Draw and Button Activated
4 Wattage Levels (12/13/14/15)
Tri-Colour Battery Capacity Indicator
Colours: White, Stainless Steel, Black

The Pod

The Pod's shape is an extension of the DV's overall futuristic look, elongated and narrowing towards the top so it's very comfortable between the lips. The bore in the top looks about 3.5mm in diameter (between 3 and 4 anyway) so i can't at this point see that the draw will be anything other than MTL (you receive a spare pod). The pod houses a 0.5ohm Plex3D coil and holds 2.8ml (standard version) or 2.0ml (TPD version) of e-liquid. The pod is very darkly tinted to match the front panel of the device and i did find i needed to hold the pod up to the light at times to see the juice level. Looking at the bottom of the pod, to one side is a small opening that leads to the membrane switch inside the device, to the other side is quite a large bung which stays attached to the pod when removing, once removed it reveals about the largest fill port i have seen on a pod (big pro). The centre at the bottom of the pod see's a central positive contact then an outer negative ring, both theses seem to have a hairs gap around them, i'm guessing this is where air enters the pod.

Fitting The Pod

Looking inside the device you can see the spring loaded contacts and the opening which leads to the membrane switch for draw activation. On the back of the device there is a little cutout section central and a protruding notch that slots into this cutout on one side of the pod so it can only fit one way which lines up the opening on the bottom of the pod with the membrane switch opening inside the device. The pod just gets press fitted into place and certainly both pods that came with mine fitted just right, not too tight to struggle to get out but not loose. The air gets to the pod simply because the fitting isn't air tight, there is a small hole on the front of the device but this is far too low to allow air to get to the pod and must be for venting. I did hear that if you put your finger over this small hole it gives a tighter draw and even though it's just too low to be anything to do with airflow like a moth to a light bulb i gave it a try, it doesn't alter the airflow whatsoever.

Operating The DV

The DV unlike a lot of pod systems has some neat features, it has 4 different wattage settings, can be operated by both the physical fire button or by your draw and can be turned off. Rather than the standard five clicks it's 3 clicks of the fire button to turn the device on and off, when turning on the ring of lights on the fire button light each of the three indication colours in turn, when turning off the lights flash the current status colour twice. The device has a 3.7v 500mAh battery and rather than just pulling the voltage straight from the battery as many pod devices their is 4 different wattage settings to choose from. Halfway down the front panel to the right there is a narrow Blue selection bar, with each hard press the wattage setting changes, alternatively you can just hold the bar down and it goes through all the different settings then just let go when it reaches the wattage you want. When vaping, whether using the fire button or vaping using draw activation the ring of lights on the fire button light up to show battery status indication, it also shows what wattage level you are on and the surround of the front panel lights up Purple. When the lights on the fire button are green there is plenty of battery life, at about half battery the lights will start to light up Orange until the battery is low then they will light up Red, not the greatest of status indication to be honest and can't find any actual percentages. As you would expect from Innokin that always take a safety first approach the DV is full of safety features that are indicated by various flashes of the lights.

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

Charging The DV

The DV is charged via the USB port, while charging the ring of lights on the fire button shine Red, once charged they turn Green. The DV takes about an hour to charge and supports pass-through so you can vape while it charges.

Performance

The DV is another very good device from Innokin, and certainly a device i would recommend. I used both my normal 3mg e-liquid in it and some 20mg nic salts and found i preferred the wattage setting best at 14w with the 3mg and 12w with the nic salts, both gave a consistent vape throughout. The draw is very similar to the EQ which is that middle of the road draw which isn't over tight but not as airy as a lot of pod systems. A lot of people will want to know how the DV stacks up against the EQ and for me it's too close to call. I found with the DV the flavour was good from the off but slightly down on the EQ for about the first pod full of juice then the flavour noticeably improved to match the EQ. The battery is better on the EQ which is one of the cons for the DV, when using it for a whole day i found i needed charging it mid afternoon and again late at night. That day i was using 3mg and when using higher mg i vape less plus it only takes about an hour to charge and supports pass-through. The draw is almost identical between the DV and EQ covering that same middle ground territory but the EQ is just slightly tighter which many will prefer but liking an airy MTL vape i just give it personally to the DV. The DV's wattage can be fine tuned which is a pro over the EQ but the way you turn the base on the EQ to fill is a great feature. Finally the DV just gets swallowed up in the hand and has a much more aesthetically pleasing look in my opinion.

Build quality
Flawless finish
Aesthetically pleasing (objective)
Pocket friendly stealthy device
Physical fire button and draw activated
4 wattage levels
Consistent vape
Great flavour for pod device (comparable to EQ and Zero)
Middle ground MTL draw
Battery status indication (although could be better)
Comes with spare pod
Very large fill port
Pod fits nicely in device
Charges in about an hour
Supports pass-through

Cons

Needs charging during the day
In some light difficult to see juice level
Battery status indication could be better
Takes about a pod full of e-liquid before getting full flavour

I would once again like to thank Timmy from Innokin for supplying the DV Pod Starter Kit 500mAh for the purpose of this review.

https://www.innokin.com/vaporizers/dv

VU Sponsors