Become a Patron!

I'm retarded and just almost blew my self up (maybe?)

am i stoopid y/n

• y

• y

Results are only viewable after voting.

topkek

Member For 4 Years
These were two good condition HE4's that were fully charged on a Nitecore UM20 charger that didn't throw any damage messages when they were sitting in there. I went to put them in my new Bigfoot unregulated mechanical box mod and some shit happened. I put the first one in without incident but I put the second one in negative side first when you're supposed to do it positive side first. I think it tore the wrap a bit and shorted to the casing because it started smoking and sizzling like it was going to vent. I don't know if it actually vented since I tore it out and ran out of the room at the first whisp of smoke and cowered in my living room for an hour waiting to hear a pop. After I worked up the courage to inspect it, I saw that the wrap on the positive edge was melted but the cell wasn't bulging and it wasn't warm to the touch.

Was the smoke just from the wrap melting or did it actually vent? I'm definitely ditching both of these little shits because I'm scurred of them now but did this do any real damage to the battery beyond cosmetic?

Melted Battery
IMG_0117[1].jpg

Other battery showing torn wrap because I stuck it in wrong too like a dipshit
IMG_0118[1].jpg

There's some wrap melted to the positive contact on the mod. That's going to be a bitch to get off.
IMG_0119[1].jpg

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Both batteries are shot. You directly shorted them and started one venting. The shorting has caused a large internal resistance via chemical reaction build up in the cells rendering them unusable. Recycle them. Never use them again.

topkek

Member For 4 Years
Both batteries are shot. You directly shorted them and started one venting. The shorting has caused a large internal resistance via chemical reaction build up in the cells rendering them unusable. Recycle them. Never use them again.
That's what I suspected. Thanks for confirming. That scared the living shit out of me. I think I've learned my lesson to pay attention to the fuck huge warning labels and pamphlets.

ObxChef

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I did that with Samsung batteries and I still use them. Test them on your charger or a regulated mod first of course. I three mine outside and wait for for the pop. Got them the nxt day and still worked. Worth a shot.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

topkek

Member For 4 Years
I did that with Samsung batteries and I still use them. Test them on your charger or a regulated mod first of course. I three mine outside and wait for for the pop. Got them the nxt day and still worked. Worth a shot.

I'd rather not risk it. $15 for a new pair of batteries is a cheap price to pay for the assurance that my face won't explode unexpectedly.

ObxChef

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
30 bucks was to much for me. I THINK some batteries are protected in some way. Some other guys would have more insite then me

MorpheusPA

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Definitely ditch the batteries instantly like everybody else said above, but I still would have voted No on the poll if both options weren't showing Yes to me. :) So I chose the second Yes to signify No.

Hey, accidents happen. When distracted, I occasionally put my battery in backwards (in a single battery, reverse polarity protected mod) and then wonder why it won't turn on. 18650 batts are great, but regrettably, they don't really have a definite positive and negative side if they're a flat top!

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to the "Oh Shit" club.
And super glad you are alright.
Just toss the batteries,better safe than sorry. ;)

Oh by the way no you ain't stupid everybody who's ever used an unregulated box mod has at least 1 scary moment.
I know I had at least 1...Don't ask.

Masher59

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Glad you are ok and ditch the batteries. Batteries are cheap.

James

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I am glad you dident burn down your place......Panic Kills .... please please please ..... never leave like that and run and hide . Observe from a safe distance , but never leave like that .

topkek

Member For 4 Years
I am glad you dident burn down your place......Panic Kills .... please please please ..... never leave like that and run and hide . Observe from a safe distance , but never leave like that .
You're absolutely right. Everything about this entire situation was dumb as hell. After looking up the spec sheets for the HE4 it says it isn't protected but it did survive an hour long hard short without explosion in testing so I flipped out over nothing.

ObxChef

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had a dream last night that I did that same thing and dropped the battery by my foot and blew my foot off. Ha

dr_rox

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Was the smoke just from the wrap melting or did it actually vent? I'm definitely ditching both of these little shits because I'm scurred of them now but did this do any real damage to the battery beyond cosmetic?

My 4 cents.

Only one battery was shorted.
The other battery was the conductor thru the outer jacket.
The one most visibly damaged was the conductor, and is probably OK via a rewrap.
Just have to look at seals at contact point.

The other battery does not look bad at all. The shrinkwrap would have continued to shrink and would have torn had the heat gotten very high.
The OP got them out of circuit fast.

What you do with the batteries is up to you.
I inow what I would do.
People vape close to the load put on that cell - just that current goes thru a circuit that can handle it.

That battery tray is a POS.
They could have used a more facile fastener.
Not like there is only one type out there.
But follow the instructions next time!
Or make an insulating doughnut to protect or remind you of proper insertion ( or replace them).

Just another thought of where a 'scent' could be generated..
Here's where the smoke could have also come from since you also got the circuit hot that couples the batteries.
Circuit boards will smoke, insulation, and a possibly some solder melted.
For perspective, those 'cold heat' soldering irons use only 2 puny AA batteries in a direct short at joint to melt lead.
No shit.

q;P

venting.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Honestly you dealt with the situation well. Get new batteries though. If it was sizzling it vented. It's possible the other one is OK but like others have said it's not worth risking it and you would have to rewrap it anyway even if it is good. It is possible (although unlikely) that it works ok but some of the internal safety measures are shot.

Luckily these IMR batteries when they vent it usually goes like what happened for you...sizzles some and that's it. But you did good by preparing for the unlikely but possible more violent reaction.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Lesson learned here is...
Admit to being stupid right off the bat and you get much less grief later.

(Love the poll.)

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
These were two good condition HE4's that were fully charged on a Nitecore UM20 charger that didn't throw any damage messages when they were sitting in there. I went to put them in my new Bigfoot unregulated mechanical box mod and some shit happened. I put the first one in without incident but I put the second one in negative side first when you're supposed to do it positive side first. I think it tore the wrap a bit and shorted to the casing because it started smoking and sizzling like it was going to vent. I don't know if it actually vented since I tore it out and ran out of the room at the first whisp of smoke and cowered in my living room for an hour waiting to hear a pop. After I worked up the courage to inspect it, I saw that the wrap on the positive edge was melted but the cell wasn't bulging and it wasn't warm to the touch.

Melted Battery
View attachment 35309

Other battery showing torn wrap because I stuck it in wrong too like a dipshit
View attachment 35310

There's some wrap melted to the positive contact on the mod. That's going to be a bitch to get off.
View attachment 35311
dont feel bad I shorted out a HE2 yesterday it happens

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
There's two kind of vapers the ones that put a battery in backwards and the ones that will someday put a battery in backwards. It's called a brain fart.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
There's two kind of vapers the ones that put a battery in backwards and the ones that will someday put a battery in backwards. It's called a brain fart.
Thank God for circuit protection on the chargers. I left 2 in backwards overnight. I was way too tired to be doing anything that required thought it seems.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I burnt a mood mech down one time. It was a wood and copper mechanical box. Put a battery in, put the second one in upside down thinking it was my Sig150 and immediate fire, a dead box, and two vented VTC3s.

Cackalacky

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Oh by the way no you ain't stupid everybody who's ever used an unregulated box mod has at least 1 scary moment.
I know I had at least 1...Don't ask.

I had one when I nearly put a new dual coil build up to my mouth without the cap on. Friggin force of habit - and distraction from the telephone. What on earth stopped me from doing it I will never know, but I'm so glad I don't have a mouth that looks like a hamburger fresh off the grill!

VU Sponsors