Become a Patron!

im a confused noob

hi guys i am to mod vaping.

i have recently purchased Tobh Atty V3 RDA Atomizer + stingray Mod 26650: both clones
i am using 100% VG juice
22 gauge kanthal with 6 wraps
dual parallel build (yes they glow evenly and i dry burn before inserting cotton).
100% koga japanese cotton.
7200mah 26650 ultrafire battery

the problem is when i drip then burn, not much vapour is produced. when i toke i usually get a burnt taste and cough up since its so harsh. id like to chase clouds without the burnt hit. what am i doing wrong?

i have tried using silica and i was getting good results however dripping was very done alot since it dries quickly and i heard 100% koga japanese cotton was the best.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
First of all, welcome to the Underground!

I am not much of a dripper myself, but I am going to name the cotton as the chief suspect.

The cotton you are using is fine. But from what I hear about it, it has to be installed in the coils in a certain way which I am sure those more experienced with the product will chime in on in a bit. If it is not cut and installed correctly, the liquid will kinda lay on top of it without being absorbed properly. I am guessing that that burnt taste is in fact the cotton itself.

Your biggest mistake is using an Ultrafire battery. Never use a battery with the word "Fire" as part of the brand name. Same goes for Trustfire batteries.

Most vapers, including me will tell you that they are made by the Lee Brothers.

Poor Lee
Bad Lee &
Cheap Lee

I would discontinue using that battery at once and find a local B&M and get something with safe chemistry. Like an IMR cell.

Truly, I am trying to be helpful.

And I distinctly remember being a Noob myself.

But using that battery in a mech could very well end up hurting you!

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Dripping enough? Make sure that cotton is soaked. I tend to wait a bit before hitting new cotton. Put it in, soak it, wait for it to absorb the juice, add more, wait a bit longer to make sure it's fully saturated all the way through the coils before hitting. I figure that lack of waiting could result in the cotton in the center of the coils still being too dry and burning. Never actually tested this theory, but it seems logical.. And 30 seconds wont hurt.

Cutting the pads with fibers the and not across them? It will wick far nicer if with the grain as the long strands can easily soak up your juice.

How did you install it in the coil? The recommended method is to twist the end of it a bit and put it in the coil, then use tweezers to grab it and pull it through. Then untwist it and move it back and forth a bit to check the fit (it should be snug, with mild resistance to moving) and fluff it up a bit with the tool of your choice.

Using enough cotton? My cotton seems to be about the same size as the coils themselves before inserting them, larger if fluffed up a bit.
IMG_9585.JPG
3mm 9 wrap 22 gauge kanthal with Koga cotton, a rewick I did earlier today when somebody else had posted about issues with cotton.

Reuven Tenam

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
hi guys i am to mod vaping.

i have recently purchased Tobh Atty V3 RDA Atomizer + stingray Mod 26650: both clones
i am using 100% VG juice
22 gauge kanthal with 6 wraps
dual parallel build (yes they glow evenly and i dry burn before inserting cotton).
100% koga japanese cotton.
7200mah 26650 ultrafire battery

the problem is when i drip then burn, not much vapour is produced. when i toke i usually get a burnt taste and cough up since its so harsh. id like to chase clouds without the burnt hit. what am i doing wrong?

i have tried using silica and i was getting good results however dripping was very done alot since it dries quickly and i heard 100% koga japanese cotton was the best.
UncleRJ is correct, the ultra fire battery is a cheap and bad cell, I bought them when I first opened my shop and soon after I learned how bad they are for vaping. They work good only on flash lights. There are 2/ 26650 I recommend. MNKE and the IMREN either one is very good and reliable.
Please be careful with the ultra fire. They can heat up on a .3 build.

View My Video

as you can see vapor production is poor even with the battery fully charged and the cotton soaked.
what am i doing wrong?

do you guys think if i got a sony VTC battery this would resolve the issue?

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you're sub ohm dripping a mech then you should have an omnitester or an in line volt meter at the least.
a quick check with one would tell you if your batt is faulty.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Are you peeling the top and bottom layer off of the cotton before installing it in your coils?

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes, try peeling the top and the bottom exposing the middle of the cotton then try installing it into your coils. That sounds like your problem IMO :)

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
the top and bottom of japanese cotton is generally pressed tighter and doesnt wick as well as the center. just peel it off and use the center as the wick.

VU Sponsors