Become a Patron!

I think they're dead!

kimber

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Tastebuds, that is. This is the exact problem I had two plus years ago when I started mixing my own. I follow recipes, really great sounding recipes that get all kinds of rave reviews and I mix them up and try them and I get next to nothing! Maybe a little hint of something in there but in-yer-face flavor? Certainly not. Yes, I've let stuff steep and it might improve a tad but not enough to make me even think about saying wow. I look at some of these recipes and think,,, 8% total flavor??? That can't possibly be enough! And typically it isn't. Not for me anyway. Am I missing something?? I'm so stinkin frustrated!!! I have thrown so much stuff down the drain,, I MUST be doing something wrong. This is how I do it...

I mix up my base liquid... 70/30, 6 mg. I always have a couple hundred ml of that around to mix with. Get my recipe, my syringes, my 10 ml bottles. I use syringes to measure my flavors, which is kinda hard when something calls for .75% (should do drops for that I'm guessing). I'm careful about the measurements, I'm a lab tech, I know how to do this stuff but any recipe that's under 20% I just don't taste anything. Even FA which I know are stronger flavors.

I'd like to give a shout out to HIC. seriously, I'm in awe. How do you do it??? I have anxiety just thinking about all that tinkering around you must do!

I think part of my problem is my gear. I'm using some old dripping attys to taste with, on an old twist I kept around. What do you guys use for tasting? Maybe I need new stuff? I'm right back where I started over two years ago...spent a ton of money and got next to nothing to show for it. For now I'm back to the peach/passion fruit mix that it seems is the only thing I can actually taste. SO disappointed. Can anyone help??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Tastebuds, that is. This is the exact problem I had two plus years ago when I started mixing my own. I follow recipes, really great sounding recipes that get all kinds of rave reviews and I mix them up and try them and I get next to nothing! Maybe a little hint of something in there but in-yer-face flavor? Certainly not. Yes, I've let stuff steep and it might improve a tad but not enough to make me even think about saying wow. I look at some of these recipes and think,,, 8% total flavor??? That can't possibly be enough! And typically it isn't. Not for me anyway. Am I missing something?? I'm so stinkin frustrated!!! I have thrown so much stuff down the drain,, I MUST be doing something wrong. This is how I do it...

I mix up my base liquid... 70/30, 6 mg. I always have a couple hundred ml of that around to mix with. Get my recipe, my syringes, my 10 ml bottles. I use syringes to measure my flavors, which is kinda hard when something calls for .75% (should do drops for that I'm guessing). I'm careful about the measurements, I'm a lab tech, I know how to do this stuff but any recipe that's under 20% I just don't taste anything. Even FA which I know are stronger flavors.

I'd like to give a shout out to HIC. seriously, I'm in awe. How do you do it??? I have anxiety just thinking about all that tinkering around you must do!

I think part of my problem is my gear. I'm using some old dripping attys to taste with, on an old twist I kept around. What do you guys use for tasting? Maybe I need new stuff? I'm right back where I started over two years ago...spent a ton of money and got next to nothing to show for it. For now I'm back to the peach/passion fruit mix that it seems is the only thing I can actually taste. SO disappointed. Can anyone help??

You need to burn out the bad flavor with Habaner'os or that other scary pepper

kimber

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yes. Well, I do now anyway since I read about that the other day. Back when I first started, probably not. But I definitely do now. And I should mention that I did have some success lately. I had a nice strawberry cream that came out pretty nicely but I wheeze horribly and my chest hurts when I use that one. And I vape some plain pg in between tests to clean out the atty.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I bet that's a helluva throat hit, LOL. Plain or high VG does that to me. I have to vape high PG because of the heavy lung feeling. The only flavors that make me cough a lot are the ones that are heavy with Diacetyl and such. I vape them, just not all day every day.

kimber

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ME TOO!!! Figured it out the hard way but diacetyl doesn't like me either. And almost everything I made last week was loaded with it. I've put it all away for now and trying to make some good fruity stuff. And switching over to all FA. I've written down a ton of HICs recipes,, I'd like something a little creamy but don't want the diacetyl. Oh,,, and do I need new attys for testing??? Maybe mine are just getting worn out,, they're over two years old and been used hard

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've been using the same tanks about that long, too. The ones I haven't broken, at least. I did eventually get better mods. But, even with my eGo batteries I got good flavor. Not the "oomph" of power, but the flavor was there.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh... and as far as creamy flavors and FA, you don't need to worry about diacetyl.

kimber

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks Huck... I can always count on you for a quick response. I think I'll get a couple of new attys... The old school kind , if I can find them anymore. And I haven't given up yet!!! Something else I just read somewhere.... Mix a bit of your pg/vg with no nic to do your experimenting with, then add the nic when you get it right,,, don't waste the nic that way. (Ohhhhh when I think if the nic that's gone down the drain!!!). Good idea??? I could use that to clean out my testing atty too.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, that's definitely a way to know if your nic is causing the flavor issues. People do their samples that way a lot. I use nic in mine, but I keep my sample sizes to 3 or 5ml at a time.

Zeu_vapoteuse

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When my buds go bad I vape something minty. Works like a charm for me.
I like cinnamon when mine are tired or tobacco flavors (come to think of it, i'll add some mint in there!) Thanks for the tip :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks Huck... I can always count on you for a quick response. I think I'll get a couple of new attys... The old school kind , if I can find them anymore. And I haven't given up yet!!! Something else I just read somewhere.... Mix a bit of your pg/vg with no nic to do your experimenting with, then add the nic when you get it right,,, don't waste the nic that way. (Ohhhhh when I think if the nic that's gone down the drain!!!). Good idea??? I could use that to clean out my testing atty too.

You need to scrub your tongue with something.. But nothing dirty please

Zeu_vapoteuse

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
From one day to another, my buds change inexplicably. I maintain a records of how flavor taste and from one test to another I can come to totally different results. I rotate flavors like I was advised. I suspect EM. Could it numb the buds?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors