Become a Patron!

I think I finally figured out coiling... (something for the newbies)

milspecsim

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I made a pair of 6w 24g 2-2.5mm a1k and put them in my Mutation X. I have never been happy with this RDA, but my Tugboat V1 clone center post fell out! Damn clones! ANYWHOOO, I usually use an 8w 24g 3mm and never got the quick ramp up, massive activity that I seen others get.

I DO NOW! Damn thing nearly blew my head off!

The lesson here boys and girls, less wraps + smaller diameter = MASSIVE VAPOR!

(I can only imagine how much it will chuck when I build my dual 26650 unreg box!)

Xhalin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Micro coils baby... From all my experimenting as a rather nooby builder- micros seem to be my fave for now.... Took me a few yards to figure out that simple is better- for me.

Twisting coils is my current project-but wicking is really my problem from what I figured out.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This is something I just figured out myself recently. @MacTechVpr (brilliant guy btw, read his posts carefully) pointed out that the diameter of a micro coil has a large effect on the vapor production - a tight coil, properly wicked will build up vapor pressure internally faster than a wider coil. Obviously there are limitations and I don't claim to be an expert on this but I've been building my coils at 2-2.25 mm ID to test the theory out and the difference is incredible! Never knew my vulcan could chuck clouds like it does with a pretty simple 0.6ohm 2mm ID 28g 12 wrap dual vertical coil setup I've got in there now.

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Micro coils baby... From all my experimenting as a rather nooby builder- micros seem to be my fave for now.... Took me a few yards to figure out that simple is better- for me.

Twisting coils is my current project-but wicking is really my problem from what I figured out.
It can take some time to get the wicking right, imo. But, the wicks are so much easier to redo than the coils. Watch a few vids and experiment, you will get better and better!

dingo1799

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I made a pair of 6w 24g 2-2.5mm a1k and put them in my Mutation X. I have never been happy with this RDA, but my Tugboat V1 clone center post fell out! Damn clones! ANYWHOOO, I usually use an 8w 24g 3mm and never got the quick ramp up, massive activity that I seen others get.

I DO NOW! Damn thing nearly blew my head off!

The lesson here boys and girls, less wraps + smaller diameter = MASSIVE VAPOR!

(I can only imagine how much it will chuck when I build my dual 26650 unreg box!)

If you want a completely different atty, get the glass cap for your mute x. Flavor is on par with a plume veil. And as far as getting hot and ramp up time, try nichrome. Mine has 6-7 wraps of 28 ga nichrome w 3mm coils n rayon wick. Flavor is out of this world. Run it at 40-45w on my sigelei, if I want to make fog crank it up to 60w.

Xhalin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It can take some time to get the wicking right, imo. But, the wicks are so much easier to redo than the coils. Watch a few vids and experiment, you will get better and better!

Thanks for the encouragement! Watching a lot of vids- seems to come down to good cotton and how much I use... Almost there!

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Something I've found is smaller diameter coils can have a harder time providing good wicking when using thick juice. It seems to be more of a problem with something like a kayfun. Doesn't seem to be as much of a problem with most rda's. 7/64" (about 2.7mm) is as small as I go in my kayfun using max vg. My TOBH is more forgiving.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is something I just figured out myself recently. @MacTechVpr (brilliant guy btw, read his posts carefully) pointed out that the diameter of a micro coil has a large effect on the vapor production - a tight coil, properly wicked will build up vapor pressure internally faster than a wider coil. Obviously there are limitations and I don't claim to be an expert on this but I've been building my coils at 2-2.25 mm ID to test the theory out and the difference is incredible! Never knew my vulcan could chuck clouds like it does with a pretty simple 0.6ohm 2mm ID 28g 12 wrap dual vertical coil setup I've got in there now.

Thanks for the nod bro. Basically right. A tighter Ø coil will build up to vap temp faster than wider (comp power). So more flow velocity. But not necessarily more vapor. Point I was making is you're limited by wicking. You can have a big engine but if you ain't got the fuel feed, no go. No, there has to be a match of wick/wire/airflow. And there's usually an optimal for the device. Build outside that and diminishing returns.

After my first 6 mos I started favoring bigger winds and more wick thicker wire. Now I'm getting that result and more with tensioned twisted lead parallels (more wick/coil contact surface).

Not a simple setup you did. Hard for lot of peeps to go vertical and get results. Symmetry has to be real good.

Good luck bro.

:)

IMG_1418a.jpg

Last edited:

VU Sponsors