Become a Patron!

I Hate Old People

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I would have posted this in the Mud Pit, but this will have a happy ending, so I guess it can go here.

I'm a member of multiple forums to support my DIY obsession. By necessity, I'm a member of a technical forum populated by retired people. There are way too many pages of rants there, where they complain about having to help people with low post counts. The general takeaway is: "Mehhh... all these friggen whippersnappers interfering with our masturbatory self-congratulatory good time."

[One-sentence add/edit: I should probably mention that I'm considered old by at least half of society, so if I took this thread title seriously, I need to begin hating myself soon.]

Any forum has its share of dumb questions that can be answered with a little reading. But attaching the low-post-count jab? Any transplants here from ECF know what a load of garbage that is. Plus, a low number gives no indication of someone's skill set they bring to the table, or what their potential might be.

You have no clue how much you've all helped me catch up, after about two years of doing only the bare minimum to keep vaping. In the last couple months I've...

--Built a humble workstation
--Reassigned a toolbox to use for vaping stuff
--Fixed my caliper
--Upgraded to a double 18650 mod
--Tore apart and fixed my wife's broken mod
--Solved half of my RTA issues
--Figured out some of the newer tech
--Started on natural extracts
--Started building better coils
--Found cheap DIY nic
--Ordered my "final" shipment of tools and wire
--Stopped feeling overwhelmed

No one could have predicted that by clinging to an obsession over single-digit post counts. So thanks guys. Now get off my lawn.

Last edited:

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So I went back to that stupid forum to turn off several e-mail notifications. Some fart had posted underneath my plea for logic, basically saying he only read through it to placate me because I'm new. But at least now I'm done hating old people. Just THOSE old people.

On a lighter note... this is what's left of a woodchuck our dog got a hold of. Cleaned, bleached, reassembled. His first trophy.

Woodchuck Skull.jpg

jensy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ooooh woodchuks are scrappers. Last year my dogs trapped one under my front steps and I had to go under and free him because my dogs were tearing up grass trying to tunnel in to get him. My husband would not go under so I did. I suited up with thick long leather gloves and away I went. It was touch and go there for awhile who was going to win but while he was stuck in my gloves with his teeth I swung him into a pillow case, walked him down my acreage and into the forest and released the mean little bugger.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would have posted this in the Mud Pit, but this will have a happy ending, so I guess it can go here.

I'm a member of multiple forums to support my DIY obsession. By necessity, I'm a member of a technical forum populated by retired people. There are way too many pages of rants there, where they complain about having to help people with low post counts. The general takeaway is: "Mehhh... all these friggen whippersnappers interfering with our masturbatory self-congratulatory good time."

[One-sentence add/edit: I should probably mention that I'm considered old by at least half of society, so if I took this thread title seriously, I need to begin hating myself soon.]

Any forum has its share of dumb questions that can be answered with a little reading. But attaching the low-post-count jab? Any transplants here from ECF know what a load of garbage that is. Plus, a low number gives no indication of someone's skill set they bring to the table, or what their potential might be.

You have no clue how much you've all helped me catch up, after about two years of doing only the bare minimum to keep vaping. In the last couple months I've...

--Built a humble workstation
--Reassigned a toolbox to use for vaping stuff
--Fixed my caliper
--Upgraded to a double 18650 mod
--Tore apart and fixed my wife's broken mod
--Solved half of my RTA issues
--Figured out some of the newer tech
--Started on natural extracts
--Started building better coils
--Found cheap DIY nic
--Ordered my "final" shipment of tools and wire
--Stopped feeling overwhelmed

No one could have predicted that by clinging to an obsession over single-digit post counts. So thanks guys. Now get off my lawn.

you fucking noobs are a pain in the ass LOL.....I belong to a couple of closed vaping forums...and the reason they started was to escape the newbies....I see their point....how many times is this forum filled up with threads like......"What tank will give me the biggest clouds"..."what build will give me the biggest clouds"..."My cloud is bigger than your cloud"...."Why did my mod blow up "......it gets tiresome.......LOL

And you are right...alot of the guys on those forums are real assholes and love taking the stuffing out of people new to their forums....Their thinking is a trail by fire will weed out the casual,fad vapers from the real sincerely passionate vapers....but it has nothing to do with age...the young ones are as mean as the old ones....I can't really hang with them...but I get where they are coming from......people who've been vaping a long time don't want to hear about your fucking Mc Nugget tank and your 5 dollar for 60 ml juice. They've gone deeper into the hobby....

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good luck over there on arrogantassholevaperforum.

Many of us don't mind helping. We kind of look forward to it in fact.

I'll take a dozen noobs over 1 loudmouth any day of the week.
there's a place for both forums...if this forum is the only one you belong to then fine, but for alot of us we belong to multiple forums and vist them for a variety of reasons....personally somedays I'd rather listen to a an arrogant asshole who knows what the fuck they are talking bout than some nice asshole who doesn't know what they are talking about....
as people get more experinced they are looking at different mods and attys, they are committed vapers and are willing to drop more money than a new vaper and so the gear they are looking at is different...there is gear that is discussed in those places that would be of no interest to a newbie.and vis versa.....

1330057170215_6026244.png

Besides you can't judge a book by it's cover...alot of times "nice" people are full of shit they mouth platitudes, but thery're just passive aggressive fucks who you later find out are molesting the little kid down the street....meanwhile the meanass barnacle with a leather hide is the guy who quietly gives the shirt off his back to somebody.....the nice guy sends you his prayers and well wishes,they offer you some chickenshit hallmark quote from the dali lama...... the scared curs offer you their hands.

Last edited:

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This thread got me thinking...

Why do old people get a pass on shitty behavior? Adults of all ages are equally capable of being shitty. The only difference between young ones and old ones is that the young ones always get held accountable. Old people can be every bit as rude and selfish as the rest of us. Why are they the only ones that get to be jaded and abrasive?

I don't think it's right to forgive someone for being an asshole and acting like a child just because they're twice your age and may have seen some shit. That doesn't give you a free pass to treat people like garbage. You can say to yourself "Oh, well they're old and maybe they've had a rough life." That may very well be true... ...doesn't make what they're doing any less wrong, though. You can certainly judge that and react accordingly. They still need to be held accountable for their behavior, which is something that, given all of their wisdom and experience, they should be able to do all on their own already. The fact that they can't speaks volumes for their character.

The idea that a person can earn their bullshit in society is bullshit. I think when you meet a senior citizen who can justify acting like a complete tool to people for no apparent reason, then maybe, just *maybe* they were an asshole when they were your age, too - and now they're taking advantage of their AARP card to take the piss out of everyone else in the world.

Don't ever let anyone tell you that it's never okay to tell an old person to fuck off. Just like anyone else, they need to be called on their shit when they fuck up. With greater life experience comes a deeper sense of empathy... ...a better understanding of pain. Children have no empathy because they haven't experienced the everyday pains of living and interacting with people, yet. They don't understand how their behavior affects the people around them. Old people have no excuse. They should know better than anyone how not be shitty.

This goes for those who are "vetted" in any circle, as well. I don't care if you're a century old and your post count is in the quintuple digits. I don't even care if your contributions have been greater than those of others in the past. Doesn't make you any less of an asshole when your actions towards other people resemble those of a snobby, needy teenager. In fact, it makes you worse.

Last edited:

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As you age your mind degrades and you actually degenerate. Thats why you give old cunts a free pass.... i wouldnt hit a child, why would i hit a senior? They have similar mentalities.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As you age your mind degrades and you actually degenerate. Thats why you give old cunts a free pass.... i wouldnt hit a child, why would i hit a senior? They have similar mentalities.
I see your point. I think that's a bit of a hyperbole, though.

I would never jump on the offense just because someone tripped my defenses. I'm against violence in general. I don't even think people who are the same age should fight. Fights happen because at least one party is lacking the ability to express their thoughts in a productive manner. Communication degrades when verbal attacks come into the picture. Physical confrontations are the end-result of a gross failure to communicate effectively.

Of course you would react differently to an old person or a child doing something wrong than you would someone your age. It goes without saying that you have to be civil. But that is to say that you can be respectful and still convey to someone that their behavior is inappropriate. There's a difference between standing up for yourself and losing your patience, just as there's a difference between genuinely not knowing what you are doing and merely pretending to.

I think it is easy enough to tell whether or not someone is aware that something they are saying or doing is bothering you. Is it really that much of a stretch to expect a certain level of decency from one's elders? They're old and yes, their minds may not be as sharp, but outside of a major deficiency (and I do agree that there is a point where an old person becomes much like a child,) that has little bearing on their moral capacity. If they're aware enough to be jaded and judgmental, then they're aware enough to understand why someone is confronting them about it. Plenty of old folks, even in their senility somehow manage to retain their dignity and behave courteously.

Besides, if you wind up being in the wrong, all that you have to do is own your actions - make it right and apologize. Explain yourself and move on.

Don't get me wrong - sometimes just letting the petty stuff slide is the best course of action. It's really just a matter of intent. If you do something with the intent of causing any form of harm to someone, that warrants an addressing of your behavior.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thats where we differ, i believe a good old fashion scrap is a perfect way to solve a problem without bitching too much or dwelling too much on a subject.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
What's age is OLD anyways?

Here's when you're old.

Physically
--Whenever the person you're flirting with says you are.
--Whenever your body says you are.

Mentally
--What's mentally?

Emotionally
--When you decide that you're the only one that matters, and those thoughts don't come a place of simply being spoiled.
a) People say they're sick of hearing your exact same stories and you don't care.
b) You think that everyone is wrong and you have no desire to see their point.
c) You latch on to anything you hear that fits your agenda or opinion, and everything else is white noise.
d) You butt in when you're not wanted, because you're convinced that you're important.
e) You believe that that everyone who was born after you is a moron and that there's no way they can know more than you.
f) You're fussy. A nag. Crotchety. You yell at clouds.

Most Importantly
No matter how many times you've used one, you're officially old when you can buy one of these things and not get even a little bit excited.

Speed Square 12.jpg

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh I don't know maybe you listen to them because they just know a helluva alot more shit than you do..the human brain doesn't fully form until it's like 25...but one of the pecullarities of youth is it's has the arrogance of inexperince it's easy to crow about things you don't know jackshit about ...they have experinced more of life, done more seen more thought more cried more laughed more fucked way way way more, seen death seen birth seen how it changes their world....The youth of the affluent west are tools....they are catered to in the culture not for any other reason than the are gulible consumers in a consumer society with a large portion of disposable income and they are not bright enough to realize the culture just revolves around conning them to keep going to work to buy useless shit they think the need to get laid......

Young bull and an old bull are standing on the Hill looking over a pasture of heifers....the young bull says.
"man I'm gonna RUN down there and fuck me one of them hiefers crosseyed"
the old bull tells him......hey dumbshit lets WALK down there and fuck them all.

Youth can't begin to understand what they don't know...the Old have already trod your ground and laugh at inexperince and arrogance and laugh at the lessons life is gonna teach them.

I've got to experince alot of diffrent cultures and peoples in my time and I can't imagine what kind of cultural vaccum you live in which does not teach the value of the Elders....

Last edited:

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And getting old means forgetting like where my dad laid his keys, slow to learn how to operate a smartphone, and hates being on a fixed income..but for his age he's doing OK, just a little slow...he's 78

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And getting old means forgetting like where my dad laid his keys, slow to learn how to operate a smartphone, and hates being on a fixed income..but for his age he's doing OK, just a little slow...he's 78

trifles.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh I don't know maybe you listen to them because they just know a helluva alot more shit than you do..the human brain doesn't fully form until it's like 25...but one of the pecullarities of youth is it's has the arrogance of inexperince it's easy to crow about things you don't know jackshit about ...they have experinced more of life, done more seen more thought more cried more laughed more fucked way way way more, seen death seen birth seen how it changes their world....The youth of the affluent west are tools....they are catered to in the culture not for any other reason than the are gulible consumers in a consumer society with a large portion of disposable income and they are not bright enough to realize the culture just revolves around conning them to keep going to work to buy useless shit they think the need to get laid......

Young bull and an old bull are standing on the Hill looking over a pasture of heifers....the young bull says.
"man I'm gonna RUN down there and fuck me one of them hiefers crosseyed"
the old bull tells him......hey dumbshit lets WALK down there and fuck them all.

Youth can't begin to understand what they don't know...the Old have already trod your ground and laugh at inexperince and arrogance and laugh at the lessons life is gonna teach them.
Well, what you say about the youth of today isn't even a little far off. But I do have to admit that even I'm a little offended by those statements. All of us have bits of what you described in us, but there is another side that just wants to see what's really out there... ...to live, love, laugh and learn... ...to make something of ourselves... ...to carry our own weight and hopefully be able to add lampposts of our own to that allegorical winding passage long after our elders have fallen off.

I listen to my elders... ...some more than others. At the end of the day, a duck is still a duck to me. If all that someone has for me is vitriol, then they will never have my respect - age isn't a factor. My grandfather was like that... ...just completely mean-spirited to the bone. Never gave me a single piece of actual advice and discouraged me in everything that I did. According to him, I've been an incorrigible loser since I was 4. He hated my dad and thus he hated me. He treated us both like shit until the day he died. The only thing I learned from him was to try my damnedest to not be like him.

Now, the concerned and stern elder who tells me I'm making the wrong decision with regards to something I am confident that I have under control, I will listen to politely and intently. Even if I happen to disagree, there's a lesson there and that information may be valuable to me some day, just as it has been to them. Who am I to question the truth in their experiences? My dad has been right about too many things that I was sure he was completely off on at the time for me to still be that conceited. I'd have to be a fool...

However, the crotchety old man who insists I should let him skip me in line at the checkout because I'm just a young little shithead who thinks he's hot stuff and knows nothing about the world, not so much. I'm not sure how that's supposed to be a meaningful interaction. I have no want or use for the respect of somebody like that. Why would I care what he thought? As far as he's concerned, I'm a lost cause anyway. What self-respecting person in their right mind is going to take that laying down?

The arrogance in the tired "old vs young" debate swings both ways. Young adults like me are arrogant because we don't know what we have to lose and think we have everything to prove. Old people are arrogant because they've lived long enough to revel in their achievements. That's not to take away from the wisdom of the elders. I'm just describing what I think makes it hard for a young person and an old person to have certain conversations. The gap in experiential perception is just too great for what would likely be unquantifiable wisdom to traverse. It's all lost to the unstoppable pull of the human ego.

That's why the phrase "You'll understand when you're older." gets tossed around so often. And it's also why the youth tend to be dismissive of it. Perhaps it should be left at that. If wisdom comes with age, then what better teacher is there than real life experience? If that's the case, then what is the purpose of having the conversations if not to justify our own choices in life?

It's a big ole whirl out there. Bigger than any of us, young or old. It's always changing right beneath our feet. Til yer head a little and the whole picture changes. Take one step and you're liable to get lost in a foreign land. I hope I never reach a point in my life where I think I've got it figured out.

Maybe that's the line between the two...

Thats where we differ, i believe a good old fashion scrap is a perfect way to solve a problem without bitching too much or dwelling too much on a subject.
Fair enough. I can respect the mutual agreement to settle things through fisticuffs. I just prefer to think of that situation as being avoidable... ...as in, there are usually things that could have been done to prevent it. But who knows? I won't be surprised if I find myself in a physical confrontation later on down the line.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Shit. Vapor old farts have got nothing on HAM Radio old farts when it comes to crotchety old fucks with attitude. Vaping is still pretty new though.

But speaker building old farts are pretty helpful and patient.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Theres plenty of people who have never been i a proper fight, i can understand that. Its not like its fun, i see it as a necessity though. I noticed in the states its less common... but in medellin its almost rite of passage... being a pussy is frowned upon where im from... in the states i noticed, it can be ok and some females actually dig the emotional types... kinda taboo to me hahaha.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Shit. Vapor old farts have got nothing on HAM Radio old farts when it comes to crotchety old fucks with attitude. Vaping is still pretty new though.

But speaker building old farts are pretty helpful and patient.
try old cowboys.old Indian guys....

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Theres plenty of people who have never been i a proper fight, i can understand that. Its not like its fun, i see it as a necessity though. I noticed in the states its less common... but in medellin its almost rite of passage... being a pussy is frowned upon where im from... in the states i noticed, it can be ok and some females actually dig the emotional types... kinda taboo to me hahaha.

Eh, I'm not afraid to be in a fight. Just because I conduct myself in a peaceful manner doesn't mean that I'm weak. I'm sure it's one hell of an experience and part of me has always been curious about it. There is a primal allure about it. Back in high school, me and my buddies used to box bare-fisted. We all got hurt, but it was a rush. I don't think that counts, though. I'm sure it's different when there's something at stake.

I've just never seen any need to fight anyone seriously and I'm not about to go looking for a fight just so that people will respect me. I don't need that validation to know that I'm a man. I work like a man, I walk like a man, and I fuck like a man. If I ever find myself in a situation where it makes sense to fight, I will.

Perhaps it is cultural. Growing up in the states, I've met far fewer people who've been in fights than haven't... ...though a lot of them like to tell stories. So maybe there is the perception that it makes you more of a man somewhere in the subconscious of our culture, in spite of it being frowned upon on the surface. To me, it's neither here nor there. Some people are fighters and some aren't. There is a need for both types of people in this world.

It's funny you mentioned the females. Whether or not I popped my fight cherry has never come up with any of my girlfriends. They've all been more interested in what I'm planning to do with my life, what sort of company I keep, what my lifestyle habits are, etc..

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

It depends on where in the states. I don't think I know anyone that hasn't been in a fight.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
try old cowboys.old Indian guys....

I don't know. They can be gruff and pretty straight forward and that puts the uninitiated off, but they aren't near the old assholes that HAM radio folks are. Maybe because, like the internet, it's not face to face for the HAM folks.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's why the phrase "You'll understand when you're older." gets tossed around so often. And it's also why the youth tend to be dismissive of it. Perhaps it should be left at that. If wisdom comes with age, then what better teacher is there than real life experience? If that's the case, then what is the purpose of having the conversations if not to justify our own choices in life?

Many of us are dismissive for a reason. How much death have you seen, up close and personal? How many people have you met that have slept outside for months on end? How many children (under 10) have you see working the streets at 2 in the morning. How many rape victims have you consoled? How many of your classmates have you buried?

Listening is an art, that young and old fail miserably at.

If I could give you one life lesson, or piece of advise. It would be to quit thinking about living, and start doing it. And do it with people who are actually there to share the experience.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't know how this turned into Fight Club in here...I for one will say I've got no less respect for @robot zombie because he's not a fighter. I'm not one to back down from a fight, but I haven't actually had to participate in one since high school (barring scraps with friends, a roommate bought a couple pairs of boxing gloves when I was 19 and all we did for 6 months was beat one another senseless for the fun of it). I have, however, gleaned plenty of respect from both men (bouncers, particularly) and women (usually girlfriends of smaller men that have felt compelled to fight me for some reason or another) by using words to avoid schoolyard thuggery.

That, and most "fighter" tough guys aren't really that into scrapping, I've found. In the three instances in my adult life when I haven't been able to placate someone threatening a fight, I've responded with a sad smile and a "You're going to hit me? Okay, well I guess that sucks," before offering up my chin, hands at my side. No one's thrown at me yet, and now that I'm in my mid-thirties with a kid in middle school and a very low tolerance for hanging out in bars it's quite possible I'll never encounter another situation where someone would want to. I'm good with that.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's when you're old.

Physically
--Whenever the person you're flirting with says you are.
--Whenever your body says you are.

Mentally
--What's mentally?

Emotionally
--When you decide that you're the only one that matters, and those thoughts don't come a place of simply being spoiled.
a) People say they're sick of hearing your exact same stories and you don't care.
b) You think that everyone is wrong and you have no desire to see their point.
c) You latch on to anything you hear that fits your agenda or opinion, and everything else is white noise.
d) You butt in when you're not wanted, because you're convinced that you're important.
e) You believe that that everyone who was born before you is a moron and that there's no way they can know more than you.
f) You're fussy. A nag. Crotchety. You yell at clouds.

Most Importantly
No matter how many times you've used one, you're officially old when you can buy one of these things and not get even a little bit excited.

View attachment 37415
Dude you broke this one really good!!!
The older I got I became not to care anymore, don't give a shit attitude, i used common sense a lot, I don't put my self in a situation that I fuxking know will bite my behind in the end, I'm OCD, and I don't give a shit...
BTW IM 37 married no kids, planning one this year..

VAPE ON

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

That's my mom lol
She's 76 and refuses to even try to use a smart phone. Has a PC, but refuses to allow me to put her online, but plays video games all day.

Sad part, flip phones will be gone by 2017. Or so they say :/ And she has no landline now.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Many of us are dismissive for a reason. How much death have you seen, up close and personal? How many people have you met that have slept outside for months on end? How many children (under 10) have you see working the streets at 2 in the morning. How many rape victims have you consoled? How many of your classmates have you buried?
I've never seen someone die (not quite,) though I have seen and experienced the impact that death can have on a person, both within myself and through loved ones. I changed so drastically as a person through those experiences that they mark all of the major chapters in my life.

I have lived through poverty and known people who were homeless. I have consoled people in light of life-changing traumas. I have seen with my own eyes the true extent of the suffering that humanity has wrought upon itself and struggled with the ambivalence and cognitive dissonance that comes with facing it.

I've experienced pain and hardship in its many forms and degrees. I know the everyday fear of life that we all face as we go out into the world (the excitement, too.) I've battled my own demons. I have fallen from grace and rebuilt myself from square one countless times and likely will repeat the process when I least expect to. I have tasted success. I know what it means to love and be loved... ...to suffer loss. I was forced to come face to face with my own mortality at a young age. The impermanence of life and the all-the-more-fleeting experiences contained within the constraints of it is something to be cherished and revered. I have stared down the nature of existence and decided to live in spite of it. I'm out there living it and taking it all in, man!

I actually took the time to spew my guts in a much longer write-up than this. But after reading it, I'm not sure how comfortable I am putting the details out there. I think I've said enough to paint an honest portrait of where I am at in my development as an individual.

And the thing is, I would never say that I know anything of this life, even though I have seen and lived through my share of it. If anything, I'm growing less and less sure of my observations and simultaneously more accepting of that simple fact as the years go by. One can't help but marvel at the nature of the human experience.

I may only be 25 years young, but I have seen and experienced enough to practice what I would say is a healthy amount humility. But that being said, I'm also traveled enough to have ideas about life that are rooted in honest-to-god life experiences. I have much to learn and just as much to share. That is why I find it condescending to be brushed off because of my age. Wisdom knows no age.

What makes me sound so green? Is it because I'm a talker and a thinker? To me, it's as natural as taking a breath. Between all of the thinking and reflecting, I do a lot of living. In fact, that's why I think so much. All part of the journey... ...or at least the one I'm on. I can only speak for my own experiences. I like to think that the depth of experience shows in the way that I carry myself, but perhaps that is what makes me a child in the eyes of some.
Listening is an art, that young and old fail miserably at.

If I could give you one life lesson, or piece of advise. It would be to quit thinking about living, and start doing it. And do it with people who are actually there to share the experience.
That is excellent advice - particularly for someone like me. Thank you for saying that. It's something I sometimes forget to remind myself of.

I have a very overactive mind. It has paralyzed me in the past. I've also gone the other way and done too much living without enough reflecting. Nowadays, I try to do equally as much of both. I'm doing the best I can to live consciously... ...big emphasis on the word live, there. For me, that balance is crucial to my happiness. I can't not ask the pointless questions as I go along. I can't go through life without wondering and musing. I understand why many people choose not to go down this path and I accept that I am not quite like them. I have my journey, just as they have theirs.

I'm trying my best to polish my listening skills, but I still have a lot of trouble resisting the urge to question anybody who claims to know best, just because of what I know of what I do not know about life. I think most people are lucky if they catch a tiny glimmer of the truth in it all. I'm an existential nihlist with a solipsistic bent.

As such, I maintain that nobody knows the meaning of life... ...the answers to one's greatest challenges and inquiries, but you - its within you, sandwiched somewhere between your memories and ideals. I think that as you grow older, you just sort of draw a line and decide for yourself what the truth is. God knows there are existential questions I have grown tired of and no longer see a use for. Many times, I have decided to say fuck it and devote my time to seeing rather than getting hung up on knowing and seeking.

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been dealing with this kind of bull for years. Especially at work.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dude, when ya get old, sometimes yer cheese slides off your cracker a bit. Mmmkay?
I get that. As long as there's some self-awareness, its a non-issue.

Would it help if I apologized on behalf of the octogenarian who was mean to you? :)
Lol, not really. It's not that upsetting to me. I just expect, if people are going to hold me to a higher standard for being younger than they are, that they practice what they preach and at least try to remember what it means to be young.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your Answers
Many of us are dismissive for a reason.
Most people are
How much death have you seen, up close and personal?
Quite a bit.
How many people have you met that have slept outside for months on end?
Several including myself.
How many children (under 10) have you see working the streets at 2 in the morning.
Too many and some of them were alone..
How many rape victims have you consoled?
How many of your classmates have you buried?
You mean personally dug the hole?
1 - Don't ask it was and is still a very personal matter that I will not talk about here further.
You mean as a pallbearer?
You mean gone to their funeral?

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Many of us are dismissive for a reason.
Most people are
How much death have you seen, up close and personal?
Quite a bit.
How many people have you met that have slept outside for months on end?
Several including myself.
How many children (under 10) have you see working the streets at 2 in the morning.
Too many and some of them were alone..
How many rape victims have you consoled?
How many of your classmates have you buried?
You mean personally dug the hole?
1 - Don't ask it was and is still a very personal matter that I will not talk about here further.
You mean as a pallbearer?
You mean gone to their funeral?

The number of people you've sat quietly for, while you've watched them die, knowing you could have saved them under different circumstances. Adds a life lesson that can't be put into words.

No one shares the same life experience, so we shouldn't expect them to see it as we do. I see the walking dead everywhere I go. Which to me, is the saddest thing I've witnessed in this life.

Just to go all Zen on you ;)

We take only one thing with us when we die. It's also the only thing we leave behind. When you figure out what it is. You start living, that day. :)

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Fair enough. I can respect the mutual agreement to settle things through fisticuffs. I just prefer to think of that situation as being avoidable... ...as in, there are usually things that could have been done to prevent it. But who knows? I won't be surprised if I find myself in a physical confrontation later on down the line.

I know that violence is never the answer. I got the question wrong on purpose..... lol

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know that violence is never the answer.

Not true. It's been my experience that a sound ass whupping will get stolen stuff returned and sends a strong message that prevents other such events from occurring in the future. It's also an efficient means of stopping current and future harassment of female members of friends and family.

'Please don't do that' just isn't an effective deterrent in some cases. I much prefer that people understand that I will make them bleed.

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So....

So many hilarious stories.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So.... Just beat somebody's ass. That's the solution to everything.
Somebody called you a name you don't like? Kick their ass.
Somebody looked at you the "wrong way"? Beat them to a pulp.
Somebody accidentally bumped into you? Send them to the hospital.
Your sandwich has a pickle on it and you asked for no pickles? Jump across the deli counter and strangle the person who took your order.
Your boss asked you to work this weekend? Follow them home and murder their family.
Your doctor said you have cancer? Open up a can of whoop ass on them.
And my absolute favorite: Somebody made a comment about a "poor defenseless woman"? Show them how much a "man" you are and beat the living piss out of them.
Violence is not the answer. Ever.
Ever.
Never.
I can't count the number of times I've talked cro-magnon knuckle-draggers with a raging hard on to bear the shit out of me OUT OF doing so or just making a gigantic ass out of them.
So many hilarious stories.

^^THIS^^ is why this other stuff happens to you. You're weak. And you blame others for your problems.

a horrible divorce with an irresponsible and extremely unstable ex-wife who was emotionally and physically abusive; seeing the person she was cheating on me with attempt suicide in my living room, convulsing and frothing on my living room floor while I waited for the ambulance to show up; losing everything I owned (two cars, a new motorcycle, a house, and about half of my other belongings) as a result of said divorce; losing my livelihood of close to a decade due to a recession because the make of the dealership I worked for went out of business; being out of work for 1 1/2 years because of that, minus a few construction jobs I took as a helper, which consequently taught me that profession isn't for me after falling 12 feet off of a roof in the middle of winter and landing on my head (no concussion); dozens and dozens of random women from across the world; etc, etc, etc....

Grow a pair of balls man.

VU Sponsors