Become a Patron!

I Bought a Noisy Cricket

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I assume you are referring to atomizers? Because spring loaded pins in the mods connector are great. Regulated mods anyway. I much prefer hybrids when talking mechs .
Atomizers. I agree, spring-loaded mods are great. They just make everything easier. No adjustments and no random connection problems. My only issue with them is wear and poor implementation. A beat-up or shitty spring-loaded 510 can be a nightmare.

I also prefer hybrids. In fact, the only mechs I now own are hybrids.

It's not as bad as it used to be when hybrids first came around, but still... ...this is one of those problems that could easily be solved by standardizing connectors. Spring-loaded and adjustable pins could be rendered obsolete.

That said, I've never encountered an atty that was unsuitable for a hybrid because the pin was too short. Even my Troll and Mutation X v3 with their super-short pins seem to do just fine. I've used both of those extensively for two years on hybrids. Only ever had problems when I intentionally backed the pins out. Measurably increased resistance and caused intermittent connection problems.

By all means you do have to be absolutely sure, but as long as the pin can't go all the way into the negative or even sit flush, seems fine. There's no possibility for contact with the negative and arching seems unlikely... ...unless there's juice in between the connector and battery.

The only time I've been iffy about an atty was when the pin was too easy to loosen or tighten. In fact, one time, when I had a CLT v2+ on my SMPL, I went to unscrew the battery and the pin fell out! This happened because I was worried the pin was too short and had backed it out 2/3 of a full turn.

You guys are free to take all that as you will. It's always better to play it safe.

SquareofPrimes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I ordered 2 -- one black and one silver -- and got them today. Wow! They are the real thing and have the authenticity on them and all that. I have never used an unreg "series" box mod but I love my unreg Ohmega "parallel" box mod. Well of course series doubles the voltage, and none of my tanks have a high enough resistance I guess. lol! About 1 sec was all I could do and they all sounded like water in a hot grease skillet. I think my highest resistance is the Joyetech Delta II at .5 ohms. I'm guessing that these box mods are primarily for monster coils?

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah man, higher resistance and more metal in the coil are required to tame the higher voltage of a series mech for sure.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got mine today and from what I read, I can build as low as .25, which I'm not going to do. I do however have a .41 build in there right now and seems to be working great. My batteries were at 3.72 when I put them in earlier this morning. Am I flirting with disaster using that low of a build?

savagebee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
From my rough calculations (I'm a novice so bear with me) that will pull 20 amps at 8 volts. I guess it depends on your confidence on the batteries

aerobroken

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
These are also on sale for $10.00 at Ecig.com
They do charge shipping, but if you was to be already buying other items it's a nice throw in.
Use Coupon Code "insider". Not sure how long they are on sale. I grabbed two of them since I was already making a purchase since I'd been wanting one. Your deal is cheaper, but it may round out to be around the same with free shipping if you was making a larger order.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
These are also on sale for $10.00 at Ecig.com
They do charge shipping, but if you was to be already buying other items it's a nice throw in.
Use Coupon Code "insider". Not sure how long they are on sale. I grabbed two of them since I was already making a purchase since I'd been wanting one. Your deal is cheaper, but it may round out to be around the same with free shipping if you was making a larger order.

That's what started this thread

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
From my rough calculations (I'm a novice so bear with me) that will pull 20 amps at 8 volts. I guess it depends on your confidence on the batteries

I think I'm just going to double by resistance to be on the safe side . Thanks for your help.

savagebee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I bought one recently and will build on it tonight. I got the rafale x rda. Has a nuetral central post so instead of tradition dual coils halving the overall resistance they will combine as a single coil, doubling it (-;

savagebee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So my fused claptons wrapped at a 3 for 6 wraps will now be .64 ohms instead of .18

aerobroken

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's what started this thread
Just saw that after I scrolled down a bit on page one. Wish I'd have noticed this earlier last week when it was posted cause many of you got it cheaper using another coupon code. Either way it's still a good deal for 10.00, I think mine was still a bit cheaper since I got a discount for $2.33 using the "insider" coupon code .

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok so I just took out one of my coils. So now I'm at .8 and the single coil Clapton is working nicely.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mine came in today, but no time to play around with it tonight.I honestly may hold off until I get the upgrade kit from FDV to use it.

I think I'll be picking that kit up as well. For under $20 it's a no brainer.

savagebee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Got mine up and running. Working great!
I swear it tastes better. More mellow almost for all the sense that makes. Used the rda on my rx 200 then switched and noticed a difference. Probably all in my head.

aerobroken

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is that upgrade kit from FDV important? This will be my very first unregulated mechanical mod. I just saw Mark had mentioned it several comments up as well as skt. I was also in a discussion in a closed Facebook group and that's where I first saw the mention and information to the FDV Safety Upgrade kit to know for sure what it was other then I think I heard Grimm state he uses the upgrade kit on his, but I didn't know what he was talking about. I plan on using the two Noisy Crickets I bought with my Twisted Messes V1, and the Double Vision rdas. I'm not an expert coil builder by far, but do use the Steam coil build calculator to stay within range for my simple builds. I wonder if the UD pre-made coils work for this too? I bought a bunch of those in a sale from Eciggity a while back and I'd like to be able to use them on this if I can.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got mine up and running. Working great!
I swear it tastes better. More mellow almost for all the sense that makes. Used the rda on my rx 200 then switched and noticed a difference. Probably all in my head.
Yeah, that's my experience, too. I notice that with mechs in general. I think it has to do with the fact that unlike regulated mods, the power itself has ramp-up and roll-off. The coil behaves a bit differently. It does affect coil performance. Certain builds benefit from it, while other lose out to it. May just be that the particular build you have is better suited to the way a mech delivers power.

I totally get what you mean about the mellowness. That's why my regulated mods always sit around or get passed off. They're too forward for me because of that quick "open/close" hit. Mechs have sort of a "bloom" to them. It's a nice relaxed hit that billows up to its saturation point rather than peaking-out from the jump. Somehow mechs just make the vape feel more laid-back and yet fuller. *shrugs*

The coil is just as important though. I find myself using thinner wire for my NC builds, which I think does a lot more for flavor and texture than the power itself does, even though they do benefit from the cricket's power.

So maybe it's best to say it's not a better/worse thing, but instead a matter of good synergy.

Is that upgrade kit from FDV important?
It's not needed, but if you're concerned about safety, then by all means... ...it will give you a much higher safety margin as well as allow you to use atties that aren't fit for hybrids. You don't NEED it, but it won't hurt. For the money, you might as well.

I plan on using the two Noisy Crickets I bought with my Twisted Messes V1, and the Double Vision rdas.
Those are perfect for hybrids. The pins on them are chunky as hell and they don't go nowhere. They also love the larger coils that the NC also loves. Solid picks, for sure. Perfectly fine to use without the upgrade in the meantime. In fact, I would probably use those without the upgraded topper for performance. It's really overkill for them, safety-wise.

I'm not an expert coil builder by far, but do use the Steam coil build calculator to stay within range for my simple builds. I wonder if the UD pre-made coils work for this too? I bought a bunch of those in a sale from Eciggity a while back and I'd like to be able to use them on this if I can.
Maybe, though they probably aren't matched well to the power they'll get (4 times what a single/parallel mech would give,) even if the resistance is high enough to run them safely. I imagine the UD coils are more for standard mechs and regulated mods. Probably not meant to have 7 odd volts going to them. I'd be surprised if they were beefy enough. The cricket needs significantly fatter coils that don't read too low. Most pre-made coils that are in the proper resistance range have wayyy too little mass.

Which ones do you have, though?

Last edited:

aerobroken

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for such a in depth answer. I know I'm just being a nervous, but I like to be safe and in these communities sometimes that can come of as a total noob which I'm not in the least, but I'm not an expert either in this part of vaping although I've been vaping since 2012. To answer your question in your close.

Which ones do you have, though?

I just realized I quoted them wrong. They are not UD Pre-Made coils, they are the Wotofo Pre-Made coils that come in the plastic small type of test tubes with red caps. They are Comp wire, and range from 0.25 ohms for a single Quad Twisted Clapton up to .6 ohms per coil for Tigers, Clapton Twist,Twisted. And the NC has the suggested resistance for atomizers 0.25 to 0.5 ohms. So with those coils and the NC they should all work in my two RDA's fine that I plan on using them for. I bought them all from eCiggity during their Spring Sale when they had I think it was 30% off. They were $1.59 at that time so they were $1.11 each tube of 5 so I grabbed them up. I hadn't yet been building coils and bought them to use until I learned to build. I've been building some them since then, but I'm not any master coil builder by far and probably couldn't make a decent clapton on my own from scratch.

I've got all the wiring to build them, and even during that sale bought a UD wire box that has 6 types of coil wire is why I thought those pre-made coils were UD brand. I've built with the Kanthal, Ni200, and the SS316L for several of my RDTA, and RDA's but I've only used them on either the RX200, Eleaf TC100, or the Evic VTC Mini 75 watt mods. I have a nice selection all from 28 gauge down to 24 gauge of SS316L to the same for Ni200 in those Gauges and have also found that the thinner wire 28 guage works well for a mellow vape that doesn't take much watts and still give great flavor. I rarely ever go past 50 watts on my RX200. I like a cool vape, the hot vape is not enjoyable. Many do like that hot vape though. I feel it just use your batteries up to quick.

Here's there specs on all those Wotfo Pre-made Coils I bought:

It looks like they should all work in singles, but they may be to low in dual coils. I think they come down to around .10 with dual on those Wotofo coils.

Coil Specifications:

Twisted Wire: 26AWG, ~2.2mm Inner Diamater, 0.5Ω - 0.6Ω

Quad Twisted Wire: 26AWG, ~2.2mm Inner Diamater, 0.25Ω - 0.35Ω

Tiger Wire: 26AWG and 0.8mm x 0.2mm Flat Wire, ~2.2mm Inner Diamater, 0.5Ω - 0.6Ω

Clapton Wire: 24AWG and 30AWG, ~2.2mm Inner Diamater, 0.55Ω

Hive Wire: 26AWG, ~2.2mm Inner Diamater, 0.2Ω - 0.3Ω

Clapton Twist Wire: 2x 28AWG Twisted and 30AWG, ~2.5mm Inner Diameter, 0.4Ω ± 0.05Ω

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for such a in depth answer. I know I'm just being a nervous, but I like to be safe and in these communities sometimes that can come of as a total noob which I'm not in the least, but I'm not an expert either in this part of vaping although I've been vaping since 2012.
If it seemed like I was taking you as a noob, my bad. Believe me, if I though you were a total noob, I'd be urging you not to use the NC at all! FWIW I haven't been vaping for much longer...

The coils you have are definitely too low for duals. Maybe even too low for singles. If they work, they're probably going to be fairly hot - a .6 at a more realistic 7.6v gives you almost 100w.

I run duals at those resistances and they are pretty hot. You can always just drop them in and see how they fire. Just be gentle or you might melt the leads. That's the best advice I can give without seeing the coils. You should be able to tell whether or not you want to vape them from seeing how they glow.

Honestly though, if you're into cooler, mid-wattage vapes, simple dual 28's or 26's at ~1 ohm or singles at more than that will probably suit you much better. 2.5mm diameter minimum, I'd say.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just remembered I have a CCI Maus Tank with a massively protruding fixed 510 and .5 coils. I think I'll try it out tonight.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, I know I said I was going to wait until I got the upgrade kit to use mine, but I couldn't stand not trying the NC any longer, I got it up and running .34 build on VTC-4 batteries, and this thing kicks ass!

Satchvai

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, I know I said I was going to wait until I got the upgrade kit to use mine, but I couldn't stand not trying the NC any longer, I got it up and running .34 build on VTC-4 batteries, and this thing kicks ass!
More of a man than me! .39 was way too hot for me and I like hot vapes. After playing around a bit, a .6 on my velocity v2 hit my sweet spot.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
More of a man than me! .39 was way too hot for me and I like hot vapes. After playing around a bit, a .6 on my velocity v2 hit my sweet spot.
It's not too bad after the first 6-10 pulls and the voltage drops some, but I plan on doing another build that's somewhere around .6-.75.

aerobroken

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It is a wonderful vape. I highly suggest that FDV upgrade kit. I got two of them and the battery circuit too. Dennis ships fast. I actually ended up with two of the battery circuits somehow. I've been building mine at .61 with 14 wraps Kanthal A-1 24awg 3mm and it gives a nice cool vape. I'm using my Twisted Messes RDA on one of them and the Double Vision RDA on the other. I did try using that copper tube and the extra and 510 with the Wismec Theorem and it's a good vape. I found it different hitting the original button, and after using it for one evening tearing it down realized that juice will leak out the bottom a bit onto the battery. For those that plan on ordering the FDV upgrade kit, or the Battery circuit kit too. I requested some promotional stickers to throw on my coil master case, and he sent me a hand full of them. Cool stickers to rad up your coil case.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You must like the hot hi watt vapes.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those are HG2s.
Not the best batteries to constantly push to 20A or slightly higher.

For a bit more then 20A I would get VTC4, HD2, HD2C or 20R.

For 30A HB6.

I do have some VTC4's I could use. Thanks for the tip.

anen

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I do have some VTC4's I could use. Thanks for the tip.
LG HG2 is all I use in Cricket. I like it hot as well so those LGs are running mostly .35-.45Ohm coils with no sweat. Don't even get warm. 25r didn't like that ride as much, that's why I stopped running them in Cricket. Yes I know that I am pushing it, but LGs are not showing any form of stress.
Be careful there is some fake LGs lately. Buy from known and proven seller only.

VU Sponsors