Become a Patron!

How to make fruit jammy

Carl01924

Member For 4 Years
Hi,
I know I dont post often, so sorry its a question, as above really how do you change a standard fruit like strawberry and make it like strawberry jam, cant think of putting it any other way really @HeadInClouds

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Jam and jelly is made of nothing but fruit or fruit juice, sugar and pectin.

So you might try using 2+ strawberry flavors and sweetener. Make it more like a "candy" type flavor.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I haven't found a single way to jam-ify fruit flavors, and even with one given flavoring it vary depending on the other flavors in the recipe.
but basically, "jammy" is sweeter and riper, right? Little bits of Liquid Amber, Pear, and/or maybe Joy (if you like it!) can sweeten and give a riper flavor. Joy for a bakery recipe, Amber and/or Pear otherwise - that's what I'd play with first.

Carl01924

Member For 4 Years
I'll have a look at liquid Amber as I have not heard of it, it is for a desert recipe I have joy, what percent joy do you recommend thanks for your input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
A plain tapioca (without vanilla and sugar) would be a great flavoring to have in a "jam" flavor, IMO. It would step in for the pectin taste of jams and jellies.

Just rambling.....

Chrispdx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Since tapioca is kinda vanilla and creamy that would something close to custard FA (lighter custard) and fresh cream FA mixed together. If I had to guess.

Carl01924

Member For 4 Years
The tapioca idea was to add the pectin to fruit to jamify it rather than to create a tapioca flavour but thanks for your input

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I'll have a look at liquid Amber as I have not heard of it, it is for a desert recipe I have joy, what percent joy do you recommend thanks for your input

I'd start with 0.5% Joy in a bakery recipe. I really like the flavor and would likely end up adding more.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Jam uses like 5 pounds of sugar, lol.
Almost sickening sweet so you can add lots of Stevia & Sweetener but I'd suspect a short coil life.
FA Meringue can help sweeten some, and the lemon in it can help brighten fruits a bit.
But I doubt it would be enough by itself.
Brown Sugar might work too but may be a bit dark for some fruits IDK.

Carl01924

Member For 4 Years
Thanks for your input @Heabob if it helps I have Capella raspberry, inawera raspberry and tfa raspberry sweet it's a raspberry jam I'm wanting so hopefully knowing the fruit might help

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks for your input @Heabob if it helps I have Capella raspberry, inawera raspberry and tfa raspberry sweet it's a raspberry jam I'm wanting so hopefully knowing the fruit might help

I like INW Raspberry myself, but only at 0.75%, good for a starting point anyhow.
Use 1 or 2 drops of Sweetener or Stevia, shake well then let it sit for 24hrs.
(TFA Sweetener or CAP Sweetener, or NOW brand Better Stevia).
You can also use 0.5% of Meringue and 0.5% Brown Sugar too.
Test to see if it needs more or less.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You've got a lot of good suggestions to try here. I'll just add that people say flavorah brand strawberry has a "jammy" quality. Some use it in very small amounts to "jamify" tfa Strawberry or others.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks for your input @Heabob, are you saying sweetener, marshmallow and brown sugar in the same mix

Yes, it is an option.
Trying to build up the sweetness without using a larger amount of just one used alone.
I'd say Sweetener, FA Meringue, & Brown Sugar, but Marshmallow IDK cause it's more for adding body or cutting sharpness IMO.
But 0.5% might not be too bad.

VU Sponsors