Become a Patron!

How SubOhming affects flavor

Pete Loop

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got into DIY a couple of months ago. I started by purchasing many TFA flavorings. After a week or two of trying out recipes I found online I was about to give up because none of them seemed to taste how I expected them to. Then I saw this site and a bunch of HIC's recipes so I purchased some FA flavors thinking maybe TFA is no good. I soon discovered that although I do find FA flavors to be better overall in concentration and quality, I was still not able to get many of the recipes to taste how I had expected them to. Discouraged and once again about to give up on DIY altogether, I ended up throwing some Swiss Bliss (HIC) into my little ego tank and WOW amazing flavor. Come to find out many of the flavors are affected harshly by the high power and heat of subohming. So after some experimentation I have concluded that Cocoa is def no good at high power. Also I find that a substantially smaller amount of flavor is needed often when using a mechanical with a subohm coil. I would like to hear what other people think about this issue as well as help anyone who is having trouble and feeling discouraged. Now that I have stopped trying to replicate other recipes and copy the ones posted here, the results have been really great. So lets hear some of your experiences.

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got into DIY a couple of months ago. I started by purchasing many TFA flavorings. After a week or two of trying out recipes I found online I was about to give up because none of them seemed to taste how I expected them to. Then I saw this site and a bunch of HIC's recipes so I purchased some FA flavors thinking maybe TFA is no good. I soon discovered that although I do find FA flavors to be better overall in concentration and quality, I was still not able to get many of the recipes to taste how I had expected them to. Discouraged and once again about to give up on DIY altogether, I ended up throwing some Swiss Bliss (HIC) into my little ego tank and WOW amazing flavor. Come to find out many of the flavors are affected harshly by the high power and heat of subohming. So after some experimentation I have concluded that Cocoa is def no good at high power. Also I find that a substantially smaller amount of flavor is needed often when using a mechanical with a subohm coil. I would like to hear what other people think about this issue as well as help anyone who is having trouble and feeling discouraged. Now that I have stopped trying to replicate other recipes and copy the ones posted here, the results have been really great. So lets hear some of your experiences.
I agree with you on sub-ohming having an effect on flavors, though many flavors actually come alive at low ohms. When I started vaping I quickly realized that I wasn't going to save much money by buying commercial juices, so I started DIYing. I started with LorAnn, moved on to TFA and was somewhat dissatisfied with both. It wasn't their fault.

It was my fault I couldn't mix anything good. I had burned out my taste buds after a lifetime of smoking. About four months ago my taste buds began working and I began having some real success at mixing. At the same time I came across "The Flavour Arts Club - Formerally The PureVapes Thread" and read it in its entirety a number of times. I have learned so much there.

I now use flavors from all three manufacturers. They each have their strengths. Don't write off any of your flavors. Nearly every flavor will come in handy at some point.

I wish you well in your endeavors.

Edited for missing word. The brain is faster than the fingers.

Last edited:

SpiderMonkey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Pete Loop....Sounds Good....KEEP COMING BACK!!!!:):):):D:):):)

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cocoa is the one FA flavor that burns at high temp - HIC usually points this out in the recipe but might have missed it in that one!

VaporRush

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I agree... with coils getting so hot that it distorts the flavor. That's one of the reasons I got a rdna 40 that has temperature control for the coil. I was amazed how much better my n.e.t.'s were tasting. I thought it was in my head, and maybe it is, but my juices still taste better. I set the temperature at 410F (cotton is supposed to withstand this temperature without burning and so far so good) and as the coil heats up and reaches 410F the chip dials down the watts. I'm running my VS rdna 40 at 25 watts with a coil at .25 ohms.

havok333

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have found that tobacco an fruit flavors do very well at high wattage, but any kind of chocolate...not so much. Anything with FA cocoa especially tastes scorched over 25 watts to me.

Does anyone knows if this only happen with FA cocoa? or it is the same with all cocoa flavors? Really enjoy subhoming everything else tastes better.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Does anyone knows if this only happen with FA cocoa? or it is the same with all cocoa flavors? Really enjoy subhoming everything else tastes better.

all companies and chocolates differ..
ecx's chocolate is more like a tootsie roll.. ;)

electrosmokehead

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
does anyone know of a good aniseed/blackjack recipe that works well at sub ohm level

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I did try without cocoa and still have a taste burn with the chocolate in it when I subhom

which other chocolate did you have @Pedro

the more you explain what you are doing, the better someone can help out.. :)

2ndInCommand

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I notice many sub ohmers prefer fruit flavors. I assume there is a reason for this. Also, I would think anything with sweetener or sweet flavors would present issues at.low ohms.Some of it is equipment also. If you go too low on a kayfun for example, you can't get enough air.in there to avoid burning.

VU Sponsors