Member For 1 Year
It was a great device til I killed it. Just got this 10 mins ago
4305fc0671f10db0828eaafab9c53d7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I sure do. I'm rocking a 5 wrap 22 gauge at roughly .2 ohms and it is plenty for me.
I don't have a multimeter so I'm gonna build conservatively on this beings I can't remove the atty.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I sure do. I'm rocking a 5 wrap 22 gauge at roughly .2 ohms and it is plenty for me.
I don't have a multimeter so I'm gonna build conservatively on this beings I can't remove the atty.
i would recommend getting a MM when you can. even though steam engine will get you close the MM will be more accurate and also allow you to find issues in the build before firing

robo74

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

What battery are you using in that?

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I only use the LG HB2 in my tube mechs. I have 8 of them or so which makes the low capacity not a problem.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I only use the LG HB2 in my tube mechs. I have 8 of them or so which makes the low capacity not a problem.

just make sure you carry them in a case and not loose in your pocket ;)
HB2 is plenty save for a .2ohm build. i plan on doing a .15 ohm build soon in my parallel box that arrives today with a pair of LG HB6 batts

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was using my HB2's for a 0.15 in a tube which is 28 amps at 4.2. Still within the limit of continuous.
I have so many cases. IMRBatteries.com ships free plastic cases with their batteries.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I was using my HB2's for a 0.15 in a tube which is 28 amps at 4.2. Still within the limit of continuous.
I have so many cases. IMRBatteries.com ships free plastic cases with their batteries.

nice job! yes you can build to .14 with those batts in a single mod and .094 in a parallel mod.

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, the reason I was at 0.12 in the first place was an attempt at parallel wires. It took me like half an hour to wrap them and I was too lazy to be assed to redo it. Next time I'm doing 7 wraps each which should be .17 ish

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Yeah, the reason I was at 0.12 in the first place was an attempt at parallel wires. It took me like half an hour to wrap them and I was too lazy to be assed to redo it. Next time I'm doing 7 wraps each which should be .17 ish

lol i hear you

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I will only do builds I'm highly familiar with on it. My thoughts are mostly 5-6 wraps of 22 gauge kanthal which I have used and tested on my ohm reader through other devices.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You would have to spend a lot of money to get a multimeter that's accurate enough for our purposes. Most of them only measure ohms to the 1/10th. Not good enough for us. .15 would read .2 due to rounding and that's a pretty big difference.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You would have to spend a lot of money to get a multimeter that's accurate enough for our purposes. Most of them only measure ohms to the 1/10th. Not good enough for us. .15 would read .2 due to rounding and that's a pretty big difference.
Yup.

Which is another reason I think it's silly this thread isn't moved to the appropriate category. We are individuals that can think for ourselves, after having been involved with vaping for some time now. New people will see this shit and think "well hell, these guys have been vaping forever. I guess that safety stuff isn't as important as those other asshats tell us it is."

Just because a few want to push the limits into danger territory, doesn't mean we should seemingly encourage it by making this somehow normal.....

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
P.S. you do NOT have to build something uber low to get a hot vape.

.5 ohm coils with enough power can give you a hot vape. It just goes to show that some people do not have the building experience that they think they do.

This also goes to show, why we really don't "need" mechs anymore to get clouds and hot vapes. We no longer are optioned with a 30 watt regulated or a mech to get power. We have mods now that can push more than 200 watts.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
The coil master 521 tab does it comes with leads with alligator clips and has been found for around 20 bucks shipped. I didn't even have to break out my MM. I just used my tab. I do understand its a bad idea for people just learning and I agree better safe then sorry but it isn't that expensive

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This has turned into an adult conversation so I'm not trying to bust balls anymore. I just know the average multimeter is only good for measuring voltage for us. Since the 521 is accurate enough for us and comes with leads, that would be a great piece for a ruby owner to have. Great call. Forgot about those.

Also, I totally get wanting to still use a tube. I use one everyday. Boxes are nice, but if I could have only one mod it would be my stainless steel, spring button SMPL. It will easily outlast anything else I've used or even seen. The form factor is pretty hard to beat as well. And I've always drooled a little over the ruby. Nice piece.

Last edited:

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The coil master 521 tab does it comes with leads with alligator clips and has been found for around 20 bucks shipped. I didn't even have to break out my MM. I just used my tab. I do understand its a bad idea for people just learning and I agree better safe then sorry but it isn't that expensive

I've actually been trying to find a replacement set of clips for mine, got it used in a trade but it was missing the leads/clips and the only set it have are off a multimeter from harbor freight and I'm not really sure on how reliable those will be

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I've actually been trying to find a replacement set of clips for mine, got it used in a trade but it was missing the leads/clips and the only set it have are off a multimeter from harbor freight and I'm not really sure on how reliable those will be

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I'm sure u can find them on coil master site

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@freemind
Talking about doing something isn't normalizing it, I have explicitly stated time and time again I know it's risky.
There's plenty of things that are inherently dangerous, for example I rock climb. Talking about free soloing (without rope) is not saying it's totally fine, it's just discussion.
If anything this thread has done nothing but point out that though there are plenty of things that are risky, people will do them regardless. In these situations it's better to have open discussion about it rather then just condemn people or call them "dumb ass kids". @BoomStick
I'm not trying to bust balls either, but you're implying it was childish before when you were the one calling me a dumb ass kid. Excuse me for defending myself.

Also, on a mech you do need to build low to have high cloud production. I've stated why I prefer them over regulated devices.
Not really sure what you want out of me at this point.
But thanks for the suggestions for the multimeters guys, that is helpful. I'll be picking one up soon

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
@freemind
Talking about doing something isn't normalizing it, I have explicitly stated time and time again I know it's risky.
There's plenty of things that are inherently dangerous, for example I rock climb. Talking about free soloing (without rope) is not saying it's totally fine, it's just discussion.
If anything this thread has done nothing but point out that though there are plenty of things that are risky, people will do them regardless. In these situations it's better to have open discussion about it rather then just condemn people or call them "dumb ass kids". @BoomStick
I'm not trying to bust balls either, but you're implying it was childish before when you were the one calling me a dumb ass kid. Excuse me for defending myself.

Also, on a mech you do need to build low to have high cloud production. I've stated why I prefer them over regulated devices.
But thanks for the suggestions for the multimeters guys, that is helpful. I'll be picking one up soon

No problem. You just have to understand its nothing against you but it's a sore subject here because a lot of people don't know battery safety and every time someone does something dumb and a battery explodes or vents and someone gets hurt there are a bunch of news stories and people use it as an "ecigs are dangerous" argument and it's bad for us as whole. Especially with the new fda regs and people trying to shut down vaping like BT and BP cause it hurts their bottom line and most of us are just trying to avoid the cancer and harmful effects of tobacco and not try to show off. So it's nothing personal it's just trying to protect ecigs and the industry that we rely on to avoid getting cancer from tobacco

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My Smok Alien measures in thousandths of an ohm and if I get a dead short it wont blow up in my face...Just sayin...I have a copper SMPL, a copper AV Manhattan and a copper Nemesis hybrid ..I do enjoy a mech vape time to time but when it comes to a super low ohm build that exceeds the best batteries limits of 30amps id rather trust a regulated mod over a mechanical mod...I get way more clouds on my regulated than I have on any mech...Just sayin.

Last edited:

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Realistically, what is the likelihood of a coil set up deciding to short?
I'm genuinely curious. The only times I've ever had functioning coils stop working were from device related problems like faulty 510's.
My Ruby feels basically indestructible. That's what I like about it.
I want a device to last me years.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I suppose its as realistic as the ones who have experienced it first hand..Some common sense and education of the hobby in question helps but, humans make mistakes with builds like you entertain...If you feel you will never make a mistake before putting it to your face and pressing that button then by all means continue on your journey...Youre part of that small percentage of vape extremists who have paved the way for many to end up injured because they feel they wanna be "cool" like you and take it to a higher extreme of danger.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@freemind

He didn't call you a communist or snowflake? You got off easy.

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I suppose its as realistic as the ones who have experienced it first hand..Some common sense and education of the hobby in question helps but, humans make mistakes with builds like you entertain...If you feel you will never make a mistake before putting it to your face and pressing that button then by all means continue on your journey...Youre part of that small percentage of vape extremists who have paved the way for many to end up injured because they feel they wanna be "cool" like you and take it to a higher extreme of danger.

So you're advocating against the use of mechs entirely then?
I work at a vape store and I have never once advocated for someone to buy a mech because I've never had anyone demonstrate proper understanding of how they function.
What do you say about mods that have caught fire while pass through charging?
That's user error as well.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Im not against a mech mod at all (within safety bounderies)....As I stated ,I own 3 and enjoy a mech vape on occasion...what me and a lot are against are those who push the envelope an end up injured which adds to giving vaping a bad name and fuel for the government to push even harder...Ive always bought mods that use replaceable batteries I can charge on a quality charger so, I passed up on the usb charged stuff after my kanger evod kit and an innokin MVP 20w when I first got started in vaping....I suppose when a manufacturer uses a charging regulator that doesn't work properly those things can happen...All my mods use replaceable 18650s now...I don't mess with built in batteries anymore..guess I got lucky the first time around...I can still recall the stories of the eleaf istick 20w devices catching fire from those charging unattended or using it as a pass through.

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I guess my point is a dead short is as likely and as dangerous on all types of builds and resistances.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I guess my point is a dead short is as likely and as dangerous on all types of builds and resistances.

Perhaps, but a dead short on a regulated fails to fire..A dead short on a mech mod causes a major problem..Thats the difference here.

The other problem is those pushing the limits or exceeding the limits of a batteries maximum amperage load which is the result of a super low ohm build pushing 4 volts to the coils which then exceeds said amp limits.

A dead short is a mistake...Exceeding a batteries limits is pure ignorance.

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
See that's why I asked if you were advocating against mechs with your dead short argument.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
We will just call exceeding battery limits or un-responsible builds as inherent dangers of a mech mod...Fair enough?

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
He didn't call you a communist or snowflake? You got off easy.

I looked back through this thread and found you have not participated in the fucking discussion. You simply came here to fucking troll like a total asshole.

Quite uncalled for, don't you think?

Grow up and stop acting like an asshole.

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I looked back through this thread and found you have not participated in the fucking discussion. You simply came here to fucking troll like a total asshole.

Is this like back in middle school where we're mean to the people we're actually attracted to?

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Ok I'll participate. I use Samsung 25r's for everything. I never build below .2

Happy, pappy?

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok I'll participate. I use Samsung 25r's for everything. I never build below .2

Happy, pappy?
I am. Thank you.
I think that's where I'm going to shoot for in the future. Parallel 24 gauge with 7 wraps should do it.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So your putting 46 amps into a 20 amp battery? Come on man. Terrible thing to say

This is another reason this thread belongs in What Not To Do.

Unsubscribing from the idiocy of this thread.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I'm sorry that's with a parallel box! single 25r I do about 0.165ohms
Even with a parallel box that's 46 amps on a 30amp set up. No good man. Only way .09 is safe is parallel with hb6 batts and it right at the limit technically it's. 093 for that set up

VU Sponsors