Become a Patron!

How do you figure out the actual capacity of your batteries?

Shenzhen XTAR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
By knowing the actual capacity of a new battery, we can know whether the battery is overstated.

By knowing the actual capacity of some used batteries, we may also know when the batteries are in need of replacement before anything strange happens.

So how do you figure out the actual capacity of your batteries and how do you know when your batteries are in need of a replacement?

Share your thoughts or ideas with others and please feel free to make any comments or discussions here!

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
By knowing the actual capacity of a new battery, we can know whether the battery is overstated.

By knowing the actual capacity of some used batteries, we may also know when the batteries are in need of replacement before anything strange happens.

So how do you figure out the actual capacity of your batteries and how do you know when your batteries are in need of a replacement?

Share your thoughts or ideas with others and please feel free to make any comments or discussions here!
Mooch does. Just check his blog

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Wouldn't a vendor that sells batteries and chargers already know the answers to these questions?

Shenzhen XTAR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Wouldn't a vendor that sells batteries and chargers already know the answers to these questions?
Hi, sure we know with professional machines to test, but most of people might don't have. A way to figure out the actual capacity of a new or a used battery will be very helpful and we want to know how people solve these problems in their daily use to ensure their benefit and safety.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Please tell us. I really don't know. Love your chargers btw. It's all I use now. :)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Higher end chargers will have a charge/discharge function. You may not see the stated mah because the charger may not take the battery low enough in voltage to see that value even though the cell has it in it but that's a good thing... it is not very healthy to run a cell that low anyway and especially when new.
High end RC chargers like a PowerLab you can set the discharge voltage to what you want (and amp draw) and make that cell scream to find out all of what it has but most vape people are not going to spend $200 to $300 to test a $5 cell.
I buy my batteries to use for a long life, not to beat up in testing.

If you have a charger that will peak the cell then give it a few minutes break and then go to discharge function, best to use it for a few cycles to break it in and then test it.

Record the mah for that battery and test it every 50 or so uses and when you see it has lost a decent amount of capacity (example: 2300 to 2000), the internal resistance has probably crept up to a level that you don't want to stress it at with a high demand use like vaping.
I don't test capacity, I just keep an eye on internal resistance and when it has risen 50%+ that cell is done (another thing higher end vape chargers will have).

Then go buy more batteries, they're cheap :D

Last edited:

Elites

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use a little battery tester to make sure it's where it's supposed to be. When they run out their life, they get recycled.
which battery tester you use? would you like to share with us?

Or voltmeter/multimeter does the job? really don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years

Affiliate links are NOT allowed, your post has been edited.

5. No affiliate, referral links or hot linked memes, and pics are permitted. Also no raffles or charity funding are to be sold for profit or otherwise including GoFundMe links, and others. Please contact an Admin about legal 501c3, c6, etc Charity raffles or any other types.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Please tell us. I really don't know. Love your chargers btw. It's all I use now. :)
That's where we'd have to move this to their unlisted thread, so I've been wondering if it's just a curiosity, or do they have a new product.

I got this little cheapo off ebay that Amanda D. told me about.

upload_2016-9-20_13-44-38.png

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
That's where we'd have to move this to their unlisted thread, so I've been wondering if it's just a curiosity, or do they have a new product.

I got this little cheapo off ebay that Amanda D. told me about.

View attachment 61940
Thats just a volt meter though, Won't actually test the batteries, it'll just tell you how charged they are. You need a battery load tester to be able to test the batteries to see if they are still good

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
A decent multimeter like a meterman will tell you everything from voltage to mah ratings.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
A decent multimeter like a meterman will tell you everything from voltage to mah ratings.
True but even a 500 dollar fluke meter can't give you a real battery test like a battery load tester does. A multimeter wasn't made to test how good a battery still is. Right tool for the right job

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I base battery health on battery performance.... When a battery starts performing less, starts getting warm under use, when I get less run time than before. I replace the battery. I assume the battery company has done the actual science testing and the ratings on the batteries spec sheet.

VU Sponsors