TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Hey guys,

I was just wondering how do you clean your brass RDA's / what do you clean them with and how often do you clean them? I've been searching around and I've found people cleaning brass with lemon juice all the way to tomato sauce so I wasn't sure what the best method would be.

Cheers.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey guys,

I was just wondering how do you clean your brass RDA's / what do you clean them with and how often do you clean them? I've been searching around and I've found people cleaning brass with lemon juice all the way to tomato sauce so I wasn't sure what the best method would be.

Cheers.
I used Wrights Copper Cream, works very well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish.
I don't like Mothers for Vape gear, works great for polishing the rims on your car but not for Vape gear. Wrights Copper, Brass and Silver pastes are for polishing cookware, dishware, etc., basically what you use for food items. It works really, really well.

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I don't like Mothers for Vape gear, works great for polishing the rims on your car but not for Vape gear. Wrights Copper, Brass and Silver pastes are for polishing cookware, dishware, etc., basically what you use for food items. It works really, really well.

Cheers mate. I'll pick some up when I get the chance.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
If not cleaned regularly does the patina damage brass? How often would you recommend cleaning a brass RDA?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cheers mate. I'll pick some up when I get the chance.
I'm getting low on my Copper cream and about to order some more so I'm going buy a jar of Wright's Brass cream also just to see if it works much better than the Copper. The Copper cream works very well on brass, but I am curious to see if there is a major difference. If it's not a significant difference I'll just stick with the Copper cream just for the sake of simplicity. Since I got my Pilak Panther I did pick up the Silver cream, there is a noticeable difference.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If not cleaned regularly does the patina damage brass? How often would you recommend cleaning a brass RDA?
What I've found is if you don't clean it to maintain it does affect over time. I've got a table polishing wheel I use to do a deep polish then just use Wright's cream on a weekly to bi-weekly basis just to maintain. With Wright's just a little dab will do you a quick rinse under water, done. I took a friends Brass Goon and it was heavily patina'd, spent a good amount of time on the polishing wheel and to be honest it didn't polish up as well as my Brass Goon or other Brass gear. So nothing scientific but just from my limited experience I think it does affect the shine. Maybe I should have spent more time on it but I spent a good 20 min's or more with a good rouge and polishing, it did not buff out as well as my mine.

So my two bits, do a good shine/polish and for items in regular use just take a couple of min's every week or so and do a quick clean and rinse with the paste.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wright's "Warnings: For sensitive skin, wear rubber gloves. In case of eye contact, flush with water."

vs

Mother's "Warnings: Danger: Harmful or fatal if swallowed. Contains petroleum distillates. Do not induce vomiting. Call physician. Keep out of reach of children."

Don't know 'bout you but I'm much more comfortable with warnings for sensitive skin vs Danger of petroleum products. That and Wright's is designed for Cookware vs Mothers is designed for Mag Wheels on your car ;)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ohh well I only have brass mech mods not any brass attys so not a problem.
Stuff works great.

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
What I've found is if you don't clean it to maintain it does affect over time. I've got a table polishing wheel I use to do a deep polish then just use Wright's cream on a weekly to bi-weekly basis just to maintain. With Wright's just a little dab will do you a quick rinse under water, done. I took a friends Brass Goon and it was heavily patina'd, spent a good amount of time on the polishing wheel and to be honest it didn't polish up as well as my Brass Goon or other Brass gear. So nothing scientific but just from my limited experience I think it does affect the shine. Maybe I should have spent more time on it but I spent a good 20 min's or more with a good rouge and polishing, it did not buff out as well as my mine.

So my two bits, do a good shine/polish and for items in regular use just take a couple of min's every week or so and do a quick clean and rinse with the paste.

Cheers for that. The goon RDA in brass is the one I was considering getting as I don't have a gold looking RDA so I thought it would be nice to have a little variety. Although a shop in Australia just got some new stock of the silver and black goons so I'm tossing up which one to go with.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here are a couple of Stillare Clone's I have, all I used on them was Wrights Copper cream. Shitty picture from my phone but you can get the idea. Very easy, just a little dab, then quick rinse and dry.

stillare_zpssyblfini.jpg

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Brass attys taste like crap to me.
Have a sqonker mod with a brass squonk pin. Had to retire it.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ohh well I only have brass mech mods not any brass attys so not a problem.
Stuff works great.
It does work well, used to use it on my wheels all the time. But the petroleum smell and what not, nah... Wright's works awesome, I can use it on my RDA's, etc and not stink up my Apartment.

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Brass attys taste like crap to me.
Have a sqonker mod with a brass squonk pin. Had to retire it.

Damn, I didn't realise brass would give off a bad flavour. Maybe I should go with the black or silver goon.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cheers for that. The goon RDA in brass is the one I was considering getting as I don't have a gold looking RDA so I thought it would be nice to have a little variety. Although a shop in Australia just got some new stock of the silver and black goons so I'm tossing up which one to go with.
Here's my Copper Goon on my Roundhouse ;)

Kennedy-Goon_zpsnpisnvi5.jpg

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now my Boss and Prophet Combo, yes Wright's works very well ;)

Boss_zpsvhhc1nu9.jpg

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Here's my Copper Goon on my Roundhouse ;)

Kennedy-Goon_zpsnpisnvi5.jpg

Nice! A nice tube mod is next on my list. I've started hoarding vape gear in case regulations are brought into action in my state.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn, I didn't realise brass would give off a bad flavour. Maybe I should go with the black or silver goon.
I have to agree that there may be a taste. Now if the deck is SS or Gold but the sleeve/cap is brass I've never noticed an off taste. Also I really haven't noticed any off taste with my Brass Goon, IMO it comes down to quality of the Brass for my Brass and Copper Stillare clones I notice a distinctive off taste.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I use NeverDull, then Throw it in my USC with Dawn Dish soap....then a warm rinse...

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice! A nice tube mod is next on my list. I've started hoarding vape gear in case regulations are brought into action in my state.
If you're new into Mech's pick our brains here at VU, we'll make sure you're safe'n sound. Excellent resources here, outstanding to about the best around if not the best IMO.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use NeverDull, then Throw it in my USC with Dawn Dish soap....then a warm rinse...
Neverdull ........ oh flashbacks of that shit when I was in the Marines ............ hate the smell and it's got petroleum.

Seriously check out Wright's sometime ;)

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I have to agree that there may be a taste. Now if the deck is SS or Gold but the sleeve/cap is brass I've never noticed an off taste. Also I really haven't noticed any off taste with my Brass Goon, IMO it comes down to quality of the Brass for my Brass and Copper Stillare clones I notice a distinctive off taste.

From what I've read the goons deck is gold plated so I shouldn't get a funky taste off it.. hopefully anyway.

If you're new into Mech's pick our brains here at VU, we'll make sure you're safe'n sound. Excellent resources here, outstanding to about the best around if not the best IMO.

For sure. I'll definitely have a lot of questions after only using regulated mods for so long.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
From what I've read the goons deck is gold plated so I shouldn't get a funky taste off it.. hopefully anyway.

Nope, I have a SS, Brass and Copper, only the posts are gold plated. But like I said I really don't get any funky or off flavors with them like I do with my Brass Stillare, Copper Stillare and Plumveil. I really do believe it's due to the quality and type of brass and copper they use. I also prefer copper positive posts, don't get any off tastes with them either.

For sure. I'll definitely have a lot of questions after only using regulated mods for so long.

Excellent just post here asking or even PM me and I'll send you some pointers. Mech's are awesome, I prefer them so much more than regulated. If you know how to build and pay attention to the simple and basic (but very important) rules you're perfectly safe. To me Mech's provide the cleanest, smoothest and best Vape around. Plus the enjoyment and satisfaction of finding that right build is ........ what can I say other than "perfect".

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Nope, I have a SS, Brass and Copper, only the posts are gold plated. But like I said I really don't get any funky or off flavors with them like I do with my Brass Stillare, Copper Stillare and Plumveil. I really do believe it's due to the quality and type of brass and copper they use. I also prefer copper positive posts, don't get any off tastes with them either.

Excellent just post here asking or even PM me and I'll send you some pointers. Mech's are awesome, I prefer them so much more than regulated. If you know how to build and pay attention to the simple and basic (but very important) rules you're perfectly safe. To me Mech's provide the cleanest, smoothest and best Vape around. Plus the enjoyment and satisfaction of finding that right build is ........ what can I say other than "perfect".

Ah I guess I was wrong! I think I'm just going to go with the brass once my local shop has them back in. The brass is only $70AUD but the black and silver are over $80. Thanks man, I'll definitely PM you if I have any questions.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Neverdull ........ oh flashbacks of that shit when I was in the Marines ............ hate the smell and it's got petroleum.

Seriously check out Wright's sometime ;)
As long as its properly washed Its not a big issue....I make sure that its cleaned enough where theres no smell of it left...but it is pretty hardcore stuff, it does clean brass as fast as ketchup cleans copper though...

VU Sponsors