Become a Patron!

Higher VG juice

chuckpie85

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just got into making higher VG juices my question is do I need to use more flavoring to get the same taste as before with lower VG juices or is the lessened flavor something I just have to deal with? Thanks for your help

I'm pretty new myself so the best advice I can give is to just play around with ratios and flavorings. For me, that's the best part of DIY, I just hate waiting for the flavors to cure enough to truly try, lol

I found a pretty handy guide for percentages of flavors to use with TFA brand. Let me know if you want me to link it for you and I'll look it up.

JXN

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It appears you are saying the flavor is less. I don't notice that with my differing mixes. Maybe it needs more time to mix well with higher VG. I tend to stick with 20/80 or 30/70. If you find you need more flavor, that's the beauty of D.I.Y.

chuckpie85

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Jxn you're correct I've decided to go back to the 65 % juice because the flavor is just not there on the higher VG juice

chuckpie85

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Wanted to give it a try in my freemax starre to blow some clouds which Is nowhere near as good as the flavor it usually produces

Barbara E.

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I would say that - all things being equal - you need to increase the flavoring in high VG liquids to get the same intensity of flavor.

But most people go to higher VG liquids when they change their delivery system in some way - maybe going from a Nautilus to a Subtank or an Atlantis to a dripper. Generally it's from a less powerful system to a more powerful system. In those cases, you're actually changing several things at the same time and it can be hard to determine exactly what is making a flavor change.

Also, different flavors behave differently. I have a house flavor (50/50) that uses canteloupe, strawberry and raspberry. In the high VG version, I had to increase the raspberry flavoring by 40%, the strawberry by 20%, and the canteloupe not at all. I don't know if the flavors just don't carry as well in the higher VG or do they just not come across as well at higher temperatures.

And some flavors don't come across at all in high VG/high temp. My favorite flavor (a coffee) is absolutely wonderful in my egrip at 1.5ohms but tastes like dishwater in drippers or sub-ohm tanks. I also feel most custards only shine in sub-ohm builds.

And steeping can make a huge difference. Maybe no on simple single-note juice but I firmly believe that more complex liquids need to not just steep but also need an airing-out period (to let any alcohols in the flavorings evaporate away).

aikanae

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's been explained to me that due to VG's thickness, flavors blend much, much more slowly and that steeping is required for everything - long steeping. Short cuts have limited value. Adding a little DW will help "mix" it better, but it's not really the same as blending from steeping. There's a trick to mixing VG based juices. IMO that's why vendors doing 100% VG eliquids specialize in just those.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ive found that sometimes it matters and sometimes it doesnt. It all depends the type of flavorings your mixing and if your needing sweeteners at a lower VG ratio. VG is very sweet and It seems to cover up delicate flavors. However, if your recipes are filled with sweet flavors, you may need to use less of them.
I found that as I lowered my vg, I needed to increase sweetening flavors, but not base flavors. So it works both ways.

VU Sponsors