HIC's Mixes: DIY recipes store

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Boy am I surprised...Bin 15 bag 12 bottle 983.
gFVJkqi.gif

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
New today at HIC's Mixes : Iguana Colada
View attachment 56827
"A very creamy blend of sweet tropical fruits. An Iguana Colada cocktail is a Piña Colada with sweet Midori melon liqueur. This takes it one step further by adding creamy papaya. The result is a luxurious vape - sweet, fruity, and creamy all through the inhale and exhale. This recipe requires only diketone-free FlavourArt flavorings, including Melon Cantaloupe, Papaya, and Jamaican Rum."

(nerd note: yes, I know a real Iguana Colada is green from the Midori; I chose to show it this color to better represent the cantaloupe-papaya flavor)
I have those! WOOT! :bliss:
Me too! Woot woot!

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
New today at HIC's Mixes : Iguana Colada
View attachment 56827
"A very creamy blend of sweet tropical fruits. An Iguana Colada cocktail is a Piña Colada with sweet Midori melon liqueur. This takes it one step further by adding creamy papaya. The result is a luxurious vape - sweet, fruity, and creamy all through the inhale and exhale. This recipe requires only diketone-free FlavourArt flavorings, including Melon Cantaloupe, Papaya, and Jamaican Rum."

(nerd note: yes, I know a real Iguana Colada is green from the Midori; I chose to show it this color to better represent the cantaloupe-papaya flavor)
Omg! That sounds delish! Off to Gumroad! Yay! Thanks HIC! A mixing we will go!

Hi Everyone!
I'm new to the forum and new to mixing, but I've done enough research to know that this is going to be a FUN place to get involved. Didn't want to go the trial & error routine, so I've been following HIC's mixes for a while now. Really impressive! Purchased a few of his premium recipes from Gumroad as well. Many of you have commented on the quality of FA & TFA flavorings as well as VT for a base, so I went that route. A few more days and my supplies will be here. Woohoo! Basically just an intro for myself and a big thank you to HIC for sharing so many recipes, as well as all the rest of you who have contributed.
Joe

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hi Everyone!
I'm new to the forum and new to mixing, but I've done enough research to know that this is going to be a FUN place to get involved. Didn't want to go the trial & error routine, so I've been following HIC's mixes for a while now. Really impressive! Purchased a few of his premium recipes from Gumroad as well. Many of you have commented on the quality of FA & TFA flavorings as well as VT for a base, so I went that route. A few more days and my supplies will be here. Woohoo! Basically just an intro for myself and a big thank you to HIC for sharing so many recipes, as well as all the rest of you who have contributed.
Joe
What a great intro to the DIY world! Welcome Jray :wave:

Quick question... which flavors are hard on the coils? I don't do tobaccos, mostly coffees and bakery stuff. Have to be careful with the 808's in particular, the only device my wife will let me use in the house. She's a NP, and I was lucky to get that concession!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Quick question... which flavors are hard on the coils? I don't do tobaccos, mostly coffees and bakery stuff. Have to be careful with the 808's in particular, the only device my wife will let me use in the house. She's a NP, and I was lucky to get that concession!

FA doesn't use sugars, colorings, or gums that cause extra trouble, but dark flavorings will wreck 808 clearos fastest. FA Cocoa is the worst offender, sad to say. FA Chocolate is a distant runner-up. FA Tiramisu is also dark, but it's so danged strong you need very little in most recipes - enough to preserve those 808 coils for a reasonable amount of time. Irish Cream is ok if not used in high concentrations. I don't think any of the others will give you any trouble.

Thanks HIC. I suspected that was going to be the case with the chocolate flavors. I have other tanks that can take more abuse, and generally speaking I like the flavors on the light side. It's one of the reasons I was attracted to your recipes. Good info, I appreciate your response. :)

soulseek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Finally got all the ingredients for Mango sticky rice, along with some INW flavours suggested by squonk (which were really worth it).

First impressions? This will probably become one of my favourite recipes. I can't recommend this enough.
The sticky rice is really there!!!! I find FA cardamom very very strong (stronger than honey), so I will try to revise this to make the sticky rice a bit more prominent. Of course, I haven't had time to let this steep. HIC have you tried adding INW sesame here? I think it would make an excellent addition and will try it whenever I find it in stock somewhere.

I love glutinous rice, especially in Japanese mochi but even in cakes like this. I'm hoping I can make something decent.

Anyone tried TFA Horchata? It should have a rice milk flavour, maybe something else to try out.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Finally got all the ingredients for Mango sticky rice, along with some INW flavours suggested by squonk (which were really worth it).

First impressions? This will probably become one of my favourite recipes. I can't recommend this enough.
The sticky rice is really there!!!! I find FA cardamom very very strong (stronger than honey), so I will try to revise this to make the sticky rice a bit more prominent. Of course, I haven't had time to let this steep. HIC have you tried adding INW sesame here? I think it would make an excellent addition and will try it whenever I find it in stock somewhere.

I love glutinous rice, especially in Japanese mochi but even in cakes like this. I'm hoping I can make something decent.

Anyone tried TFA Horchata? It should have a rice milk flavour, maybe something else to try out.

A couple days will mellow the sharpness of Cardamom. Inawera Sesame is a great flavor, isn't it? If you want that earthy/nutty flavor, I'd recommend starting really light with it. I'm confident that one includes diketones - just to note that for those who avoid them. VT has this flavor in stock most of the time. It's weirdly hard to find.

I had little luck with TFA Horchata, which I remember as a heap of dry cinnamon flavor & not much else. I think they have a "mild" version with supposedly less spice, but I haven't heard lots of praise for it & never bothered trying it myself.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
TFA Horchata is the boogeyman of the DIY world....it scared me, way too strong....:eek:....lol!

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Mango Sticky Rice is one of my favorites too!
Can't wait, tomorrow is the 3rd day of steeping for Hic's Iguana Colada! :bliss:I'm ready!

Completed my first mixing yesterday. The wife was giving me a weird look. :wait: First up was Hazelnut Carmel Coffee. Not exactly what I expected, but very good! Someday I'll have to mix some of the flavors standalone to get a feel for each. I think FA is different than how I've been programmed, especially coffee. Next up was the Chinese Almond Cookie. First, the default recipe, and then adjusted for coconut. Both are extremely accurate, but the coconut, at least for me, stole the show! Sooooo smooth and natural tasting. I think I'm gonna like this new pastime! :)

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Completed my first mixing yesterday. The wife was giving me a weird look. :wait: First up was Hazelnut Carmel Coffee. Not exactly what I expected, but very good! Someday I'll have to mix some of the flavors standalone to get a feel for each. I think FA is different than how I've been programmed, especially coffee. Next up was the Chinese Almond Cookie. First, the default recipe, and then adjusted for coconut. Both are extremely accurate, but the coconut, at least for me, stole the show! Sooooo smooth and natural tasting. I think I'm gonna like this new pastime! :)
I'm Vaping the Chinese Almond Cookie now too! Love it with the coconut too! I made both versions. Both are great but something about the coconut in it, yum!
Can't beat the enjoyment of mixing, Hic's great recipes & saving $

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What's everyone Vaping today?
I had Chinese Fortune Cookie with coffee this morning,
Kokopelli Mango while out
Cantaloupe Crush with a glass of watermelon & orange infused water, yum, yum!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor

Thedesbois

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hey!

New at mixing HIC's recipes. Have a question: when HIC refers to acetyl pirazine from TPA, are his percentages for the 5% as sold by TPA ( 5 PG)?

I ask cause I've always diluted that one to 1% AP in PG. My guess is that the percentages indicated by HIC are for the 5% undiluted. If someone could confirm I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks! :hearts:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey!

New at mixing HIC's recipes. Have a question: when HIC refers to acetyl pirazine from TPA, are his percentages for the 5% as sold by TPA ( 5 PG)?

I ask cause I've always diluted that one to 1% AP in PG. My guess is that the percentages indicated by HIC are for the 5% undiluted. If someone could confirm I'd really appreciate it.

Yes, but he would have to be the one to advise you on how to use the dilution you have. @HeadInClouds

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hey!

I've always found AP 5% to be too strong. Is that why you mix it to 1%

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Hey!

Yes, I'm referring to it as sold by TFA and vendors. Some people (hi @Huckleberried !) prefer to dilute it further, but I don't.

Thedesbois

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've always found AP 5% to be too strong. Is that why you mix it to 1%
I've learned to dilute it at 1% when I started DIY. I guess it made it easier to mix small quantities using volume. Now that I mix by weight, I see no need to dilute it unless quantity is minimal. I have a 30ml diluted and another 30ml at 5%.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
New today at HIC's Mixes : COVA Custard
p COVA Custard.jpg
"Coconut, vanilla, and almond come together in this rich custard vape. The inspiration was a popular 1970's potluck dessert called "Impossible Pie" - a baked coconut custard. This recipe requires only diketone-free FlavourArt flavorings, including Nonna's Cake. TFA's Holiday Spice is an optional addition."

Who will admit they're old enough to remember Impossible Pie? http://allrecipes.com/recipe/12161/impossible-coconut-pie-i/ It used to be printed on Bisquik boxes. We added almond extract, too. If you make it that way, it tastes like this. (COconut, Vanilla, Almond = COVA)

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
New today at HIC's Mixes : COVA Custard
View attachment 58713
"Coconut, vanilla, and almond come together in this rich custard vape. The inspiration was a popular 1970's potluck dessert called "Impossible Pie" - a baked coconut custard. This recipe requires only diketone-free FlavourArt flavorings, including Nonna's Cake. TFA's Holiday Spice is an optional addition."

Who will admit they're old enough to remember Impossible Pie? http://allrecipes.com/recipe/12161/impossible-coconut-pie-i/ It used to be printed on Bisquik boxes. We added almond extract, too. If you make it that way, it tastes like this. (COconut, Vanilla, Almond = COVA)
Be still my heart lol! Yay a new recipe! Already been to Gumroad & back! Thanks HIC!

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And I'm headed that way! LOL! I remember eating this as a kid, but never knew what it was called....and I'm off work tomorrow, I can mix! WAHOO!! :banana:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Talking about flavor bottle smells, the one I always pick out first when heading to the mixing room is AP.
It's taken me a year and a half to leave that one out with the rest of my flavors, and not sealed in a zip lock in the desk drawer. You develop a tolerance, I suppose.....lol!

Frankm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I took that picture just after breaking up 1 liter of VT Nic. I guess I should have left the laptop open for a peak at the program I've created to mix e liquid. I'm trying to wrap up a few features (and add a few more) before I release it into the world. No name yet. I haven't registered the domain yet. When I started writing it in c# back in April, I had taken my excel spreadsheet to the point it was getting to hard to manage. It was able to do cost, inventory, etc. This one has much more of the stuff just to make my mixing time easier. I have an offer coming your way soon HIC :)

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
To boost the strength of FA Lemon Sicily, try adding 0.25-0.5% FA Aurora to your lemony recipe. You'll get sharper, enduring lemon flavor without the "furniture polish" impression of some other brands (looking at Flavor Express here). For example, in this recipe: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/hics-lemon-meringue-pie.9895/ - replace the lime with FA Aurora. It's like adding lemon zest or lemon curd to the pie filling.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
To boost the strength of FA Lemon Sicily, try adding 0.25-0.5% FA Aurora to your lemony recipe. You'll get sharper, enduring lemon flavor without the "furniture polish" impression of some other brands (looking at Flavor Express here). For example, in this recipe: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/hics-lemon-meringue-pie.9895/ - replace the lime with FA Aurora. It's like adding lemon zest or lemon curd to the pie filling.
Your Lemon Meringue Pie is my favorite night time vape it has never left my rotation since the 1st time I made it! & you found a way to make it better! You're the best!:inlove:thank you muchly!

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just ordered the Fa Aurora. I want to add it to your Italian Lemon Cream Soda recipe, should I just add it to the existing recipe? Or sub it for something like in the Lemon Meringue Pie? Thanks!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Just ordered the Fa Aurora. I want to add it to your Italian Lemon Cream Soda recipe, should I just add it to the existing recipe? Or sub it for something like in the Lemon Meringue Pie? Thanks!

I would just add it, since it takes so little. That's a good idea, by the way!

Hey HIC!
I am not really into this community or forum, but I created account just to let you know that I really enjoy your recipes.
I read somewhere that you said you enjoy anise, and I am not sure if you have tried raspberry anise sherbet ever, it is a very popular icecream/sherbet where I live (in Sweden), and if you could hook up a nice recipe for this I would be extremely grateful!
(actually, the sherbet in Sweden contains licourice, but anise and licourice both contains anethole which is the most dominate flavor so it should not really make a difference)

Have a nice day sir! :)

edit: I thought I could share my current progress on my own attempt, maybe you could give me some hints what could improve my batch.

FA Anise: 0.75%
FA Raspberry: 3%
FA Custard: 1%
FA Forest Mix: 1.25%
FA Lemon Sicily: 2%
FA Lime Tahity: 0.5%
FA Meringue: 0.5%
INW Raspberry: 0.5%
FA Strawberry: 0.5%

Last edited:

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Hey HIC!..
I read somewhere that you said you enjoy anise, and I am not sure if you have tried raspberry anise sherbet ever, it is a very popular icecream/sherbet where I live (in Sweden),...

Ohh, that sounds really good! Do you have a real-food recipe for that? That would help me imagine the real flavor better. I wouldn't be inclined to use Meringue in a vape version. It looks like you're aiming for a flavor like rainbow sherbet, but without the pineapple (or orange) that we're used to tasting with it. Yes, I'm all thumbs-up on Anise with fruits, especially citrus - and in bakery vapes.

FA has a Licorice flavor, but it's sure not the bold flavor you get in Sweden. German Flavors makes a Salmiac Pastillen that's great for that, though!

I'm glad you're here and hope you'll stick around. Tell us more about your Swedish favorites. :)

Ohh, that sounds really good! Do you have a real-food recipe for that? That would help me imagine the real flavor better. I wouldn't be inclined to use Meringue in a vape version. It looks like you're aiming for a flavor like rainbow sherbet, but without the pineapple (or orange) that we're used to tasting with it. Yes, I'm all thumbs-up on Anise with fruits, especially citrus - and in bakery vapes.

FA has a Licorice flavor, but it's sure not the bold flavor you get in Sweden. German Flavors makes a Salmiac Pastillen that's great for that, though!

I'm glad you're here and hope you'll stick around. Tell us more about your Swedish favorites. :)

Well I have googled few recipes for you, but I have never actually made it myself.
But here is a picture on how it is sold in Sweden.

It is actually salty licourice, so maybe it will be hard to recreate for vaping.
But I did not know it was salty licourice since I googled it up actually, I can't recall it tasting any different than normal licourice.
Either way here is few recipes I found:

1 dl cottage cheese
2 dl frozen raspberries
1 tsp xylitol and 2 drops stevia(or just skip the xylitol and get sucralose I guess, I have never even seen xylitol in my entire life.)
1 tbsp licourice powder

and another recipe:

3 dl frozen raspberries
juice of 1/2 lemon
1-2 tbsp cold water
1 tbsp licourice powder

HallonSaltlakrits_Graddglass-500ml(F636..).jpg

VU Sponsors