Become a Patron!

Hi just wanna ask this. please come in (newbie builder)

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I did a parallel build with kanthal A1 24g.
this is the result. is this safe and good??View attachment 106690

0.3 is perfectly fine and a nice target resistance :cheers: If you aren’t happy with the ramp up it’s also fine to take it down further I aim for 0.15 - 0.2 for a lot of my builds on regulated mods (unless it’s single coil then it’ll be around where you are)

Was it a single parralel coil or did you mean dual coil?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
He’s vaping at 42W? ....At 0.3ohms the current draw is not much more that 14amps if that regulated mod is a single battery one

Whilst it’s always useful to research, in fact it’s should be mandatory to enlighten yourself.... he’s built a safe build there unless of course you mean resistance doesn’t matter on regulated mods ....

No need to go to reddit we have Moochs stuff here

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/moochs-video-library-links.384867/

Gerald123

Member For 1 Year
He’s vaping at 42W? ....At 0.3ohms the current draw is not much more that 14amps if that regulated mod is a single battery one

Whilst it’s always useful to research, in fact it’s should be mandatory to enlighten yourself.... he’s built a safe build there unless of course you mean resistance doesn’t matter on regulated mods ....

No need to go to reddit we have Moochs stuff here

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/moochs-video-library-links.384867/

i checked on mooch. my battery is rated 15A. im running dual batt mod.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

I beleive resistance does matter on regulated mods ....granted it doesn’t affect current draw but It does affect the output though ......try firing a 0.7 build at higher wattages and I bet it get capped ...theres only so much Voltage adjustment the regulator can deal with (bucking/boosting or both)...the mod is trying to match and regulate the wattage you have set and to do that it has to detect the resistance of the coil.... that’s why you’ll see a difference to the voltages displayed when using exactly the same wattage setting and two different resistance builds.

A board is only capable of working within a set lower and upper output Voltage range (each mod is different, factors within the board design, settings, components and wiring play a part in this range). As a result I beleive there is an optimal resistance range for regulated mods....wattage was implemented as an easier way for people to read and use thier mod but really it’s still using voltage as the driver behind the scenes.

Don’t take my word for it look at any bench tester out there you’ll see they couldn’t hit target wattages accurately at certain resistances.

so IMO it depends what wattage you want to vape at as to what resistance range is best to use.

This of course doesn’t apply to mechanical mods they have an entirely different method to calculate everything.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
i checked on mooch. my battery is rated 15A. im running dual batt mod.

In that case your fine

Wattage setting <divide by> no. batteries <divide by> low voltage cut off per battery <divide by> chip efficiency

43 / 2 / 3 / 0.9 = 8A (rounded)

I used 3v for your low voltage cut off but if you want to include a sag buffer put in 2.8V

If you don’t know chip efficiency use 0.9 (90%)

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I beleive resistance does matter on regulated mods ....granted it doesn’t affect current draw but It does affect the output though ......try firing a 0.7 build at higher wattages and I bet it get capped ...theres only so much Voltage adjustment the regulator can deal with (bucking/boosting or both)...the mod is trying to match and regulate the wattage you have set and to do that it has to detect the resistance of the coil.... that’s why you’ll see a difference to the voltages displayed when using exactly the same wattage setting and two different resistance builds.

A board is only capable of working within a set lower and upper output Voltage range (each mod is different, factors within the board design, settings, components and wiring play a part in this range). As a result I beleive there is an optimal resistance range for regulated mods....wattage was implemented as an easier way for people to read and use thier mod but really it’s still using voltage as the driver behind the scenes.

Don’t take my word for it look at any bench tester out there you’ll see they couldn’t hit target wattages accurately at certain resistances.

so IMO it depends what wattage you want to vape at as to what resistance range is best to use.

This of course doesn’t apply to mechanical mods they have an entirely different method to calculate everything.

totally correct. Say on a 200w mod, your watts are capped at 200w, regardless of resistance. Higher resistances limit the 2ndary output. Without doing the actual math or looking up controllers.. 0.70 ohm would be around 150w MAX even if you had a 200w mod. I think the formula is something like
Power = Voltage sqr /Resistance?

See http://blog.thevaporist.org/2015/12/29/regulated-mods/ for more info.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
A couple things to keep in mind, so you feel better are
If your mod pulls amps higher than the cdr it creates more draw on the battery voltage, so the voltage will drop or sag. Once it hits the mods low voltage limit, it shuts down. All the batteries we recommend will easily handle these high wattage builds since you are not continuously firing for extended periods.
Second, high power builds generally use a very short inhale, like 2 to 3.5 seconds, which is well within your batteries limits. (limits are per Mooch stress tests, at 70A for 5 second firing with 30 seconds rest and does not exceed 100c *usually below 70c is recommended*) So even though your display might say you are pulling 42A from a 20A cell, you are only doing it for a very short time, within the batteries limits, and within safe limits allowed by your mod.
Recommended batteries are Samsung, Sony, LG High Drain 20A to 30A cells. In other words.. don't trust those rewrapped 3000Mah 35A batteries you found on ebay. They are just an over rated 20A battery, usually a factory 2nd which has failed manufacturer testing and sold in bulk for things like laptops, etc.

Basically, if your regulated mod allows it, you are fine. If the current draw is to high, the mod stops firing when the low voltage limit is reached.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
ce5f907d929471c11b0e35d76215bd6afa832f95863d618437901625b971201a.jpg

VU Sponsors