Become a Patron!

Help with iStick Mini

I am very new to vaping and am learning a lot. A guy in my local vape shop recommended the iStick Mini and I bought it. My problem with it is that it only lasts for about 10 puffs and the battery is dead? Did I get a dud or is there something I'm not doing right. Using 50/50 juice w/12-18mg nic. Using throwaway clearomizers with it. Although I have also used with my Kanger Protank 3 Mini and had the same issue. Anyone?

Walker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I suspect you have a bad battery.

What is the coil resistance you have? What wattage are you running it at?

(Edit: I am not an expert as far as vaping is concerned, but I am an electrical engineer)

Last edited:
I am so new that I honestly don't know what coil resistance I have or how to find out. I have tried it at all different wattages, including the minimum and it has the same effect.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Yep, I think you have a dud.

I cannot think of a single scenario with any topper or type of coil that this device is capable of firing that would deplete a fully charged battery in the space of 10 puffs.

Hopefully you can take it back to the place you purchased it from and get a new one.

And test the new one before you leave the store. In many instances a dud like that will arrive in a shipment with other duds.

Thank you both! I thought that it didn't seem right at all. On the first puff, it will go from 100% to 86% every single time. I will go talk to the person where I bought it and see if he will return/exchange it. I am just so new at this that I didn't want to just run right in there and sound like an idiot if that's how it was supposed to work. (I would much rather look like an idiot online...lol).

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
You should at the minimum get a big chunk of a days use out of it and not 10 stinking puffs.

Walker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Warning: Math in this post.

AllElseFailed: I have a regular iStick, and the Ohms are displayed on the screen next to the voltage and watts.

The battery in that mini is a 1050mAh battery, which means it can deliver 1050mA for one hour (or 1mA for 1050 hours). The specs on the mini say it maxes out at 10W or 5V, whichever you hit first, so my guess is that it's meant to be used with a 2.5 Ohm coil (that would be a perfect match).

In that configuration, the battery is delivering 2A when you push the button, so it should be able to fire for 30 minutes.

If you have a 1 Ohm coil though, the mini would cap out at just 3.1V to give you the 10W. It would pull about 3A with that 1 Ohm coil, and the batter would only last for 20 minutes of firing.

That battery should be lasting WAY longer than 10 puffs. It should last you all day unless you are breathing through it constantly.

Thanks for that, although all of the Ohm stuff is way over my head now (but I'm learning slowly). It definitely sounds like I got a dud! Thanks for all the information!

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for that, although all of the Ohm stuff is way over my head now (but I'm learning slowly). It definitely sounds like I got a dud! Thanks for all the information!

I'd like to say as well welcome to VU :) personally, I don't think anyone looks like an idiot for asking questions, that's what this place is here for above all else, or it should be anyways...for us all to help each other out to learn and be able to enjoy vaping to the greatest possible extent. There are no stupid questions...just stupid reasons for not asking them :) The ohm's law stuff can seem kind of complicated at first but even with your little Mini (once you trade it in for a proper one and can get on enjoying it,) is important to know, at least the basics of. All tanks come with a variety of differently built coils in them to heat the liquid to turn it into vapor and how we measure their differences is by their "resistance" which is one of the four basic parts of ohm's law. Different coils with different resistances put out different levels of heat and/or vapor and can effect how long your battery will last...but no battery should die after ten puffs....that is unless someone gave you an old cig-a-like battery from the vaping dark ages....back then you had to carry a pocket full of those little bastards and hope you'd be able to get threw the day with them....but things have come a long way, especially in the last two years and there is no excuse for putting up with faulty equipment...especially as new vapor. The gear we have today is so much better that everyone should enjoy their vape from puff one without any problems or bullshit attached to it.

There are many guides and threads here already written out when you're ready to learn more if you choose but vaping is a personal journey and it's meant to be taken one step at a time and it's all about what works for you, not for me, so when you get a good mini and it gets you up and vaping then enjoy it and I suggest you poke around the forum a bit and see what there is to see. And most importantly...happy vaping! :)

VU Sponsors