Become a Patron!

help with coils

chk2033

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi just started vaping, but a little background
july i went from a pack of newports 100 a day (30 years but regs not 100s)to using a myjet pod and still sneaking around 3 or 4 cigs a day.
aug purchased a smok vape pen plus and no cigs at all
this month got that little Q box by smok which came with a baby beast tank but at 50w its still not as good as my pen plus and its dead after around 2hrs so today i purchased an alien mod cause im assuming this tank is the same as the one on the alien kit?
and if so which coils should i use since i dont know if the ones which came with the Q box would work or be good enough?
btw no cig craving at all...so thats good

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
I am not familar with the pen you owned prior, but before I switched my setup, I used the AL85, T-priv and nearly all the smok tanks except tfv4 and 12, and tried all coils and RNA decks if available. Therefore, I can say if you're looking for that pen experience you did have prior, purchase the M2 - 0.25 ohm coils. If your mod came with the baby beast or big baby, chances are that the Q2's @ o.4 and o.6 ohms are included. I personally like and trust me I don't like smok very much, but I liked the o.6 out of that kit. Another of my preferable ones are the x4, T8 and T6. But you'll have to play around with that, plenty of factors do play a role here, so ask yourself this and after that pick something that comes close to your expectations, or is even spot on. Makes it easier for us well to answer, again it does come down to your own personal preference at the end.

Questions you should ask yourself:

1) am I vaping mouth to lung (MTL) or direct lung hits (DL)? Because it does matter and be one of the keys to determinate the ohms.
2) am I vaping high VG juices, or am I more of a high PG kind of guy, or am I keeping it balanced?
3) am I aiming for the best flavor smok can give me, or am I just trying to get the biggest clouds, as long as I get my nic, flavor isn't important to me? Do I want both?
4) while it differs with any mod/tank/coil and ejuice, but am I want a bit lower watt and cooler vape, keeping my battery drain low and my coils last longer. Or am I aiming for warmer vape in the mid/higher watt section?

BTW, unless stated differently, all smok tanks can be used with any of their or even non smok brand mods, its just a matter of the resistance reading and capable wattage. For example you ain't running a tfv12 on a 50w mod, but can easily run a tfv8 on a 220w mod, as long as the battery or the power in general supports it.

Last edited:

chk2033

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
thank you
im vaping DL
and all my juices are 70 30
i also like that huge warm flavorful vape i guess..probably why i burnt thru the vape pen plus coils so fast and that little 50 watt one isnt doing it for me unless i vape it at the max 50 ,then im sure it will be no good in 2 or less days..

Last edited:

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Try the Q2 o.4 ohm if they are included. But if you need to go and buy one, maybe you can find a great smoke store in your area, that carries smok products and let you purchase a single one, instead of a 5pck, so you can decide the ones you like best. Don't do that on a regular basis, since normal smoke stores are not as knowledgeable than vape stores in comparison, or most of the times lol.

If so, I would recommend the x4, its mid wattage range, I run mine around 45-52, in some rare cases even up to 58. Or get your hands on a T8, this one is a bit on the higher watt end but still in mid range, I run mine around 59-63 or if want a extremely warm vape give the T6 a shot. However if you're looking for flavor, go with the x4s since the other 3 don't have the greatest, specially at higher watt. If you feel that this is all to warm/scratchy/harsh etc. Give the Q2 o.6 a shot, i run these at 25-35 watt, sometimes even 40 and while the flavor is starting to go away a bit, above 35, its still a good low watt coil in my opinion. Hope it helps.

Make sure you're priming your coils correctly and at the higher watt, give your mod a minute or two, to catch up and be able to saturate the cotton again. Chain vaping at that wattage will only result in coils burning out faster, dry hits and horrible tastes. Higher VG juices are thicker that takes a minute in comparison to higher PG, or equal mixes, these are thinner and your coil can suck them up much quicker.

Last edited:

chk2033

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you
I found these V8 Baby-X4 Quadruple Core
for a pack of 5 for 5 bucks online
Thank you for your help

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
You're welcome, gl on your journey and stay smoke free :D don't hesitate to ask more questions, especially if you feel something isn't working out.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I find the X4 Quad coils for the Baby Beast are the best in my opinion. $5 for a 5 pack sound too cheap make sure they are Authentic!

Welcome @chk2033 and I hope you enjoy your stay!

chk2033

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
thank you all and yes..the price seems rather....suspect
there from a website called elementalvape do they sell legit items? anyone pick anything up from them.
the mod i ordered from vapewild which i see now also sells coils

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have dealt with Vape Wild and they are definitely legit but I never have bought coils off eBay.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Some decent vendors you might want to consider. This is no way exhaustive nor promotional, affiliated.

MVS
VapeNW

Eciggity

These are all fairly stable and reputable vendors with excellent customer service if help is required. Even Fasttech has great customer service and a nice DOA policy, if it's DOA send them a pic or video demonstrating that, then they ship you a new item free of charge.

I would feel comftorable buying from any of these vendors. They will ensure you got authentic gear, quality gear. Why? Simple answer, they're all in business to stay in business. Some vendors run the gambit of "Oh look at all the fucks I don't give" to being too overly hm, customer friendly. These guys will tell you how it is but do so in a professional manner and give you the best info on products, so you can choose well informed.

It sounds from reading you're using tanks. Not quite kept with tanks. I used ARO, T-Dux series up to 3 by Smok. Now, I've been seduced by RDAs, mechanical mods, squonking. I can tell you from personal experience if you do DL, tanks won't give you as high a quality vape experience as an rda will. Yes, there is a lot of difference, imho and to me rdas rule. This doesn't close the door on tanks for me. I do not see tanks in the immediate future though. It'll need to be a damn fine one before I go gaga over it.

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I order my wife's baby coils from Fasttech may take a couple weeks to
get them but 10-11$ shipped or so for 10 authentics.

vaporscout

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
if you like a warm vape and your doing DL like I am, you may want to give the T-8 coils for the baby beast a try, it requires more power but to me it is close to a cig on strength with 6mg nic.

VU Sponsors